Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Can someone point me in the right direction for a keyboard and mouse?

1. Keyboards needs to be able to switch between a PC and an iPad (I don't think that the iPad can work with a mouse, this is fine).
2. Number pad needed
3. Don't know if this is a thing, but work in a congested environment (We have a lot of Bluetooth devices on and connected to our computers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

obi_ant posted:

1. Keyboards needs to be able to switch between a PC and an iPad (I don't think that the iPad can work with a mouse, this is fine).
2. Number pad needed
3. Don't know if this is a thing, but work in a congested environment (We have a lot of Bluetooth devices on and connected to our computers)

Yes the iPad can use a mouse.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Cornuto posted:

Koala Eyeglass Lens Cleaner Spray Kit, 2 Ounces, for All Lenses (Pack of 3) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K4R213M/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_SVB5AF3S6EF6PRSEG37T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I use this and it works great for both glasses and monitors.

I got this and it's exactly what I wanted. Coupled with a nice clean microfiber, it made all the lenses and screens in my apartment look brand new.

Gracias for the rec.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

obi_ant posted:

2. Number pad needed

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-k780-wireless-keyboard-white/5592420.p?skuId=5592420 , and I use the MX Anywhere as my mouse but there are a few choices that can pair with multiple devices

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I want a vacuum cleaner that is fully repairable and built with the expectation that it can be disassembled and reassembled. The bottom hose split on my shark vacuum and I thought it'd be easy to replace. Buying special long torx screw bits allowed me to get in there, but it simply refuses to go back together.

I'm guessing a classic Miele is probably the way to go.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Recommend me a chair, a chair that I will sit in at my hobby table for miniature painting etc. I will be sitting on carpet and specifically don't want a chair on wheels, if the chair spins I guess that would be fine but not required.*

Currently I have a chair that's a rickety 40+ year old thing meant for someone with less stout asscheeks and thighs which makes it not very comfortable for long periods of time.

*I know goons love office chairs that spin for computer use, and I have one for that, but I'm specifically looking for not that here.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

tangy yet delightful posted:

I will be sitting on carpet and specifically don't want a chair on wheels, if the chair spins I guess that would be fine but not required.*

Probably worth keeping in mind that you can generally replace casters with simple feet for computer chairs that come with caster wheels. You just pull the wheels out and shove the replacements in, it takes very little time and is much less expensive than a whole chair, if you happen to have a different chair you like, but not for this purpose because of wheels, or if you find a chair you like the look of other than it having wheels.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Probably worth keeping in mind that you can generally replace casters with simple feet for computer chairs that come with caster wheels. You just pull the wheels out and shove the replacements in, it takes very little time and is much less expensive than a whole chair, if you happen to have a different chair you like, but not for this purpose because of wheels, or if you find a chair you like the look of other than it having wheels.

I am woefully under-chaired so nothing to swap wheels for feet on, but that's an excellent idea for if a good wheeled option comes up without a good already non-wheeled option. Thanks for the idea!

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
You can also upgrade crappy wheels with ones that are more like rollerblade wheels.

I bought these for my wife's chair: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KSF11X6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Although they're less likely to scratch wood floors, they're more likely to dent walls as kids love flinging each other around the house.

This post was not for the original request, just a further exposition on replacement wheels.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
STEALTHO is a really stupid name for a company/product line, I love it

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Chas McGill posted:

I want a vacuum cleaner that is fully repairable and built with the expectation that it can be disassembled and reassembled. The bottom hose split on my shark vacuum and I thought it'd be easy to replace. Buying special long torx screw bits allowed me to get in there, but it simply refuses to go back together.

I don't have an answer, but if you're in a big enough town look up the vacuum repair shop (surprising how often they exist) and ask for recs. They'll probably sell you one too.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

OGDanDogg posted:

You can also upgrade crappy wheels with ones that are more like rollerblade wheels.

I bought these for my wife's chair: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KSF11X6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Although they're less likely to scratch wood floors, they're more likely to dent walls as kids love flinging each other around the house.

This post was not for the original request, just a further exposition on replacement wheels.

Now that's what I call wheeling and dealing

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Chas McGill posted:

I got a free shark on Craigslist. It had a split hose. Most frustrating 3 hours of my recent life to repair.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

PYF Products and requests for Products: I got a free shark on Craigslist

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
speaking of vacuum cleaners, I am a sucker for the ol' horizontal electrolux vacuums.

I have one of these really old Electrolux Diamond Jubilee vacuums. I'm pretty sure it's older than I am, my parents had it for as long as I can remember. Still works, had to have it repaired a single time well over a decade ago. I found one at a yard sale with all the attachments for like 25 bucks so I have a spare if the original ever carks it. But it's a goddamn tank of a machine, if you are looking for a vacuum cleaner, see if you can find one of these, I have seen them on craigslist from time to time for dirt cheap, like 50 bucks used and complete.

also while looking for a photo I found a forum dedicated to vacuum connoisseurs which. I guess!!!

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Recommend me a chair, a chair that I will sit in at my hobby table for miniature painting etc. I will be sitting on carpet and specifically don't want a chair on wheels, if the chair spins I guess that would be fine but not required.*

Currently I have a chair that's a rickety 40+ year old thing meant for someone with less stout asscheeks and thighs which makes it not very comfortable for long periods of time.

*I know goons love office chairs that spin for computer use, and I have one for that, but I'm specifically looking for not that here.

I dearly love my two Clore Plain Master chairs, but they certainly cost me (and are worth) a pretty penny. https://clore.furniture/furniture/all/plain-master-chair/

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Happiness Commando posted:

I got a free shark on Craigslist. It had a split hose. Most frustrating 3 hours of my recent life to repair.

I gave up on it after an hour, I'll give it another try at the weekend, but I will be miserable.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'll throw my Electrolux AEG AirMax vacuum into the chat. Picked up for $20 in our craigslist equivalent, bought all new filters and bags directly from Electrolux online. All other spareparts are still available.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

speaking of vacuum cleaners, I am a sucker for the ol' horizontal electrolux vacuums.

I have one of these really old Electrolux Diamond Jubilee vacuums. I'm pretty sure it's older than I am, my parents had it for as long as I can remember. Still works, had to have it repaired a single time well over a decade ago. I found one at a yard sale with all the attachments for like 25 bucks so I have a spare if the original ever carks it. But it's a goddamn tank of a machine, if you are looking for a vacuum cleaner, see if you can find one of these, I have seen them on craigslist from time to time for dirt cheap, like 50 bucks used and complete.

also while looking for a photo I found a forum dedicated to vacuum connoisseurs which. I guess!!!

I follow this vac reviewer’s YouTube channel, not looking to buy one, I just find the reviews interesting. https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCvavJlMjlTd4wLwi9yKCtew

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I snagged a used Kirby G5 with no accessories for $75 on Craigslist, I know their business model is scummy but they're fantastic (18 Lb) vacuums. It magically wasn't even full of roaches!

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
My over a decade old Roomba is acting up and loud and I think it's ultimately time for a new one. It'll be doing duty in the basement only, so I don't need for it to do a lot. My wife bought a Deebot for upstairs and its fine. I bought my Roomba (basic one) years ago and looks like since then there's obviously been a lot of tech that's come along, and iRobot seems to have leased the tech to other manufacturers.

The Roombas seem more expensive, but I don't know if you're paying for the name or if anything else will do just as well. I am definitely interested in something from a different manufacturer. Any reason why I shouldn't just by another basic Roomba? Mine lasted so dang long which was great, especially all the cat hair and basement crap it dealt with.

Planet X has a new favorite as of 19:30 on Nov 19, 2021

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Someone suggested this Roborock in a different thread. Either homeowners or tools, probably. I want a robovac but don't have one yet, so I took note. Good luck.
Roborock S4 max

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

The work secret santa has given me someone who I don't know and only has "formula 1" listed as his interests.
I am at a total loss for ideas, I know nothing about what someone who likes any kind of racing might enjoy. All I can think of after some research is a poster of the 2022 race schedule/maps. I don't feel confident about it but that's all I've got.
Does anyone have any ideas or, at least, keywords I can be investigating?

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

The work secret santa has given me someone who I don't know and only has "formula 1" listed as his interests.
I am at a total loss for ideas, I know nothing about what someone who likes any kind of racing might enjoy. All I can think of after some research is a poster of the 2022 race schedule/maps. I don't feel confident about it but that's all I've got.

One bottle of baby formula.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
Anyone recommend a white noise machine? My partner keeps having issues with random noises keeping em up at night and I've been trying for like 3 years to convince them to get one to no avail.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Anyone recommend a white noise machine? My partner keeps having issues with random noises keeping em up at night and I've been trying for like 3 years to convince them to get one to no avail.

Get a Dohm sound machine. We have 2 (bedroom, kids bedroom) and run them every night. The oldest machine ran for probably 7 years before the on/off switch wore out (I think was the issue). I love that it's not electronic sound but rather real spinning fan type noise.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hrvstmn31 posted:

I have this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JWDC66L

it's out of stock but you might be able to find it elsewhere. the key bit is getting one with non-looping sound, because I will guarantee if you get one with a like 15 second loop you will almost immediately get into a rhythm of hearing every specific tic of that loop and it will instead keep you awake, the exact opposite of what it's supposed to do.

I bought my mom this one and it works well enough, too, and is still available: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RWRJ4XW

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Get a Dohm sound machine. We have 2 (bedroom, kids bedroom) and run them every night. The oldest machine ran for probably 7 years before the on/off switch wore out (I think was the issue). I love that it's not electronic sound but rather real spinning fan type noise.

Seconding this, the fact that it isn’t playing a recording makes a huge difference imo

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

On the chance that you already have one, Alexa will play white noise if you ask her to

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

devilmonk posted:

On the chance that you already have one, Alexa will play white noise if you ask her to

My partner would kill me and bury in the basement if I even joked about getting one. I will keep all this in mind especially the non-looping, I'm not super sure what'll work for him so I'll probs go for cheaper and if he prefers white noise I'll upgrade him to The Dohm. Thanks y'all.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I know one guy that’s into that a bit too much recently bought a part of a wrecked car and seems to be pretty pleased about it. No idea what that sort of thing runs for.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I've seen LED lamps of various tracks that people think are pretty cool, looks like they run about $50 though
for example: https://www.etsy.com/listing/797197935/circuit-de-monaco-led-lamp-monaco-grand

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Warbird posted:

I know one guy that’s into that a bit too much recently bought a part of a wrecked car and seems to be pretty pleased about it. No idea what that sort of thing runs for.
This is a really cool idea! Looks like it's out of my price range though.

robziel posted:

I've seen LED lamps of various tracks that people think are pretty cool, looks like they run about $50 though
for example: https://www.etsy.com/listing/797197935/circuit-de-monaco-led-lamp-monaco-grand
This is exactly the price range though... Those are neat.

Thank you both!

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

This is a really cool idea! Looks like it's out of my price range though.

https://www.thegpbox.com/product/su...otorsport-gift/
Looks like there's quite a price spread, some are like $20 bucks.
https://www.thegpbox.com/f1-car-parts/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if we're doing recommendations for gifts, I just bought one of these for my dad, who is a big space nut.

https://ozmarecords.com/products/voyager-golden-record-3xlp-box-set

it's a set of LPs of the Voyager Golden Record, containing all of the audio from the original discs, as well as other things like a book, pin, etc. It's a neat item, the one I got was already opened so I took a look at the stuff inside and it's quite nicely made, I hope he likes it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hrvstmn31 posted:

I got an air purifier at costco and it doubles as a very nice white noise machine.

Seems to help with waking up congested during pollen season too.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Captain Invictus posted:

if we're doing recommendations for gifts, I just bought one of these for my dad, who is a big space nut.

https://ozmarecords.com/products/voyager-golden-record-3xlp-box-set

it's a set of LPs of the Voyager Golden Record, containing all of the audio from the original discs, as well as other things like a book, pin, etc. It's a neat item, the one I got was already opened so I took a look at the stuff inside and it's quite nicely made, I hope he likes it.

lmk when it comes with a kit to assemble your own record player like the probe actually has

Nah just kidding, that's cool as poo poo. gently caress I want it and I have no where to display it (or play it for that matter).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Humerus posted:

lmk when it comes with a kit to assemble your own record player like the probe actually has

Nah just kidding, that's cool as poo poo. gently caress I want it and I have no where to display it (or play it for that matter).
that's loving fascinating, I did not know that aspect of it.

the idea of getting my dad a copy of the golden record popped into my head when I was listening to a playlist and Melodysheep's Children of Planet Earth came on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6zulqXLPUw&hd=1

it's kind of unfortunate there's no "official" physical product for it, but the omni records are quite nice looking all the same.

the Golden Record is such a fascinating and hopeful creation of humanity.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Anyone have a good recommendation for an entry level sewing machine? My GF has dropped more than a couple hints that's what she would enjoy for Christmas.

I don't know much of sewing machines, but I do know that it does not need to be able to do large things like quilts/blankets, nor anything like embroidery. Primarily hemming curtains and clothes, fixing rips and tears, and smaller sewing projects/patterns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for an entry level sewing machine? My GF has dropped more than a couple hints that's what she would enjoy for Christmas.

I don't know much of sewing machines, but I do know that it does not need to be able to do large things like quilts/blankets, nor anything like embroidery. Primarily hemming curtains and clothes, fixing rips and tears, and smaller sewing projects/patterns.

I'm not an expert but I do the occasional clothing repair and similar simple tasks. I bought this Brother model from Wirecutter's recommendation almost ten years ago and it's been perfect for my needs. There's a more recent model for not much more (the 7000) that also gets good reviews.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B000JQM1DE