Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh for sure, it was insane that upon leaving port they attacked and sunk a suspected Japanese torpedo boat. In the North Sea 20km from Japan. The sinking of a British fishing boat almost led to war and made their long journey harder as they were prohibited from using UK owned coaling stations.

and they were blocked from using the Suez, which made the whole trip around africa required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh for sure, it was insane that upon leaving port they attacked and sunk a suspected Japanese torpedo boat. In the North Sea 20km from Japan. The sinking of a British fishing boat almost led to war and made their long journey harder as they were prohibited from using UK owned coaling stations.

It's not quite as insane as it seems on first glance. Britain and Japan had a defensive alliance at the time and Japan's main source of warships was British shipyards. It didn't seem impossible that the Japanese might have secretly purchased some new torpedo boats for a suicide attack in the North Sea.

It was still crazy to open fire on a random ship in the North Sea, of course.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I know little about Russian military history aside from WWII, did they ever have an era of naval glory and achievement? Odd to grow up with stuff like red October portraying elite cutting edge ships when in reality not sure how the red navy would have done in a conflict.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I know little about Russian military history aside from WWII, did they ever have an era of naval glory and achievement? Odd to grow up with stuff like red October portraying elite cutting edge ships when in reality not sure how the red navy would have done in a conflict.

Unless you count the Varangian period, not really, but this isn't too surprising when you consider they had gently caress all in terms of coastline or ports until IIRC the 1700s when Peter the Great built St. Petersburg in the middle of a coastal swamp and declared "this is the capital of Russia now". And yes, more than one writer has pointed out the similarities between St. Petersburg and Washington, D.C.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 10, 2021

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Not really glory, but one minor historical curiosity was that the Russian Atlantic and Pacific fleets spent 1863 harbored in New York City and San Francisco during the US Civil War. Short story was that Russia was friendly with the US due in part to the fact that the UK and France were not, and they were afraid an Anglo-Franco intervention in Poland might blockade their fleets in the Baltic so the czar sent them on an extended visit.

https://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/online-reading-room/title-list-alphabetically/r/the-russian-navy-visits-theunited-states.html

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

MA-Horus posted:

Give me a miniseries on the Russian Empire Baltic Fleet voyage of the damned only to get their butts completely pushed in at Tsushima.

Lions Led By Donkeys did a great podcast on the subject:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7wuhD3eZAS4ta5B66y44bP?si=PBKxeZ1eRMSjUg33PSpRXA&utm_source=copy-link

It's so, so terrible.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://youtu.be/FMDpqxnDpIU

Talks even further about the cursed nature of the trip. Let’s not forget poisonous snakes and other dangerous animals.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

MazelTovCocktail posted:

https://youtu.be/FMDpqxnDpIU

Talks even further about the cursed nature of the trip. Let’s not forget poisonous snakes and other dangerous animals.

Don't forget about the captain who would throw his binoculars overboard every time he was frustrated. The crew, knowing this, brought cases and cases of binoculars for the voyage.

Lmao

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

They did have some eras of success against the Ottoma ns but by the age ironclads not really.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It took me way too long to realize you meant 20 000 miles and not 20 kilometres.

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012
Drachinifel has a good video on the 2nd Pacific Squadron's journey + a follow up video on the Battle of Tsushima itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mdi_Fh9_Ag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXpj6nK5ylo

I would love to see a movie or a miniseries about the Battle of Leyte Gulf, if nothing else but to see Admiral Halsey's hilarious reaction to the "The world wonders" message immortalized.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That reminds me that I haven't heard anything about The Mighty Eighth in a while.

Or sorry, Masters of the Air: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_the_Air

I remember the first previews coming out and it looked absolutely terrible. Not surprised it's been caught up since then.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Abongination posted:

I remember the first previews coming out and it looked absolutely terrible. Not surprised it's been caught up since then.

I think those "previews" were outed as fakes.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So yesterdays Alien and Zombie invasion and Mel Brooks chat was awesome and I wound up watching Battle LA in a new 4K version last night and yep, while not perfect, still great. That said I noticed (and it's been a year or so since I last watched it from the beginning) all the characters having their rank and name appear on screen when they first appear. I for the life of me can't remember that from past viewings (but I am guilty of skimming the opening at times lol). Also remembered the exact part when a bunch of hipster poo poo heads (who wouldn't shut up during it) during the movie started laughing when Michael Pena dies and I just started screaming at them and said I'd shove an issue of Pitchfork up their asses if they didn't shut up. They actually did. Still can't believe I did that. :lol:

Also for any fans of the score drop me a PM. The regular release is on streaming, but not a "complete one."

Fun fact about the Mighty Eighth Project. My wife had Donald Miller as History Prof at Lafayette and she detested him as constant name dropper.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Russia's navy has always been hosed because they need a fleet for the black sea, baltic sea, barents sea, and the pacific. The black sea fleet's access to the med is controlled by turkey, the baltic fleet has to run the gauntlet through the danish straits, and the barents sea/pacific fleet are limited by ice.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah even in old issues of Soviet Military Power I have (physical and digital) reading the Soviet Pacific fleet stuff is pretty lol. I’m sure someone at DIA included some laundry ships in it. That said as a Cold War junkie I love these and I do think the analysts were generally doing their best, but also hyping it too. The artwork though rules, stuff like the Soviet Shuttle on a Bison Bomber. The Delta launching one is actually gorgeous.
Start on page 90
http://edocs.nps.edu/2014/May/SovietMilPower1985.pdf

Soviet/Russian Geography is pretty lol when it comes to be so long, but so poo poo for naval forces.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 10, 2021

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Also remembered the exact part when a bunch of hipster poo poo heads (who wouldn't shut up during it) during the movie started laughing when Michael Pena dies and I just started screaming at them and said I'd shove an issue of Pitchfork up their asses if they didn't shut up. They actually did. Still can't believe I did that. :lol:

What an incredibly specific and awesome threat that is.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

What an incredibly specific and awesome threat that is.

Thank you. :) I have no clue why it popped in my head, but I think they just looked like Williamsburg.txt. It was either when Pena dies or Nantz tells Hector he's the bravest Marine ever (which yeah is corny, but if you've bought into the movie then you don't care and you go with it).

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I watched Baseketball last night for the first time in probably 5 years and it still holds up. So much Zucker energy.

Especially the intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1-QAF8gLy0

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Any books you can recommend me?

Not a book, but Joe Kassabian's Lions Led by Donkeys podcast did an awesome two-part series on the voyage, including the bit where syphillis-maddened sailors were stuck on a ship with crocodiles iirc.

(edit, beaten)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Notahippie posted:

Not a book, but Joe Kassabian's Lions Led by Donkeys podcast did an awesome two-part series on the voyage, including the bit where syphillis-maddened sailors were stuck on a ship with crocodiles iirc.

I think I'll need to check it out, is it straight or have a sense of humor? I really kind of love the Potential History approach to discussing this or DAN "THE MAN" SICKLES!

The guy who hosed up the hangings for the Nuremburg war criminals (so eh it's cool) is absolutely hilarious.

I've set it up to skip the World of Warships promo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxUOixWd8Po&t=63s

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 10, 2021

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

LLBD hits that blend of "excellently researched" and "irreverently presented" that just makes it super fun to listen to. He also frequently has at least one of the guys from Well There's Your Problem or A Hell Of A Way to Die as co-hosts/collaborators so it's usually very entertaining.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LLBD hits that blend of "excellently researched" and "irreverently presented" that just makes it super fun to listen to. He also frequently has at least one of the guys from Well There's Your Problem or A Hell Of A Way to Die as co-hosts/collaborators so it's usually very entertaining.

Well I know what I'm listening to today.

EDIT: Goddamn a 4 part series on the First Chechen War and episodes on the Mk14 torp. :discourse:

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 10, 2021

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So yesterdays Alien and Zombie invasion and Mel Brooks chat was awesome and I wound up watching Battle LA in a new 4K version last night and yep, while not perfect, still great. That said I noticed (and it's been a year or so since I last watched it from the beginning) all the characters having their rank and name appear on screen when they first appear. I for the life of me can't remember that from past viewings (but I am guilty of skimming the opening at times lol). Also remembered the exact part when a bunch of hipster poo poo heads (who wouldn't shut up during it) during the movie started laughing when Michael Pena dies and I just started screaming at them and said I'd shove an issue of Pitchfork up their asses if they didn't shut up. They actually did. Still can't believe I did that. :lol:

Nice! When I saw 12 Cloverfield Lane a guy warned loud teens to hush and yup they did quiet down. Same guy later in the film when the UFO appears gave a loud “what the gently caress???!” that was perfectly timed and got a big laugh. That dude being there bumped the movie from 3 to 4 stars easy.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

PookBear posted:

Russia's navy has always been hosed because they need a fleet for the black sea, baltic sea, barents sea, and the pacific. The black sea fleet's access to the med is controlled by turkey, the baltic fleet has to run the gauntlet through the danish straits, and the barents sea/pacific fleet are limited by ice.

The ice is less of a limitation than it used to be.

(mostly just wanted to share the cute polar bear though)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Nice! When I saw 12 Cloverfield Lane a guy warned loud teens to hush and yup they did quiet down. Same guy later in the film when the UFO appears gave a loud “what the gently caress???!” that was perfectly timed and got a big laugh. That dude being there bumped the movie from 3 to 4 stars easy.

Hahah. I saw Tony Jaa's the Protector in downtown Philly once and that audience owned. It was like the second coming of Bruce Lee and we were all in on it. I still remember Tony had Chucks on and after he kicked the poo poo out of some dudes, a guy screamed, "I have to get my one of those Chucks."

When it's good, it's good, when it's bad, it's Hipsters.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The ice is less of a limitation than it used to be.

(mostly just wanted to share the cute polar bear though)

Yeah Russia's nuclear ice breaker fleet is growing and top notch, and they have a nuclear cargo ship now as well.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah Russia's nuclear ice breaker fleet is growing and top notch, and they have a nuclear cargo ship now as well.

Thanks Jane Fonda! God I hate what she did to nuclear power in this country.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Yeah, I love all 3 of those podcasts. Liam from WTYP being a mainstay on LLBD lately has been a delight.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
https://twitter.com/redlettermedia/status/1458445529721999367

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Well I know what I'm listening to today.

EDIT: Goddamn a 4 part series on the First Chechen War and episodes on the Mk14 torp. :discourse:

He's also got an episode on Caro in Syria.

It's good poo poo - he's in a PhD program for history, so he comes at it with academic rigor but he's also got a good sense of humor and a leftist take.

edit: He also has a great well-researched episode on how and why Robert E. Lee was a huge piece of poo poo.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, that was a loving great episode.

He's also hilarious on Twitter too.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If I was a billionaire I'd spend it all to make a historically-accurate movie about Jutland. It would probably be ten hours long and a miserable box office failure, but I'm fine with that.

Ben Kingsley was agitating about doing that ten years ago, angling to cast himself as Jellicoe, but I guess it never got going.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm listening to the Jewish Avengers episode and my god is it checking the boxes and creating new ones and checking them too.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://mobile.twitter.com/mjkea/status/1458477884763430914?s=21

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Is red letter media cancelled? I legit don’t know, goons seem to have strong opinions in various megathreads and I’m not sure if it is because they said something about Star Wars or did something horrible.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
They're men really in to Star Wars so statistically they're probably awful based on demographic trends

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hyrax Attack! posted:

they said something about Star Wars or did something horrible.

but you repeat yourself

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Is red letter media cancelled? I legit don’t know, goons seem to have strong opinions in various megathreads and I’m not sure if it is because they said something about Star Wars or did something horrible.

I think they're just making fun of Aaron rodgers because Mike's a huge packers fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I don't think it's acting. Unless you're a psychopath recalling merking some dude should illicit some sort of emotional response. That's not to say it should buy him leeway for loving up multiple times and then shooting people, especially since he had to go out of his way to be in the situation in the first place. Like I think outside of big money poo poo heads and elected officials, it's easy to forget sometimes people aren't malicious they're just stupid as gently caress.

Again, that's not to say he shouldn't see the inside of a prison for it.