Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Thoren posted:

What are some manga/anime with Stupid loving Abilities like Bleach, Hunter x Hunter, etc.?

Just give me the most convoluted and over-the-top poo poo please. Long winded explanations, total rear end pulls, sudden jumps in power levels, you name it.
Zatch Bell is a demon tournament fighter with 100 contestants, and each demon has their own abilities. it's completed and a solid, funny shonen. artwork can be a bit sketchy at times, but the author LOVES their two-page attack spreads, and boy if you like FIGHTING SPIRIT and last-second power-ups and reversals, there's tons of it in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

fate/zero and fate/stay night unlimited blade works. the premise is summoning mythological figures that have powers based on their myths. for instnace lancelot once used a branch to fight off enemies, therefore hes capable of using any weapon, therefore hes capable of using a gatling gun.

I'm stealing this power explanation for F/Z.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Thoren posted:

What are some manga/anime with Stupid loving Abilities like Bleach, Hunter x Hunter, etc.?

Just give me the most convoluted and over-the-top poo poo please. Long winded explanations, total rear end pulls, sudden jumps in power levels, you name it.

Baki and Kengan Ashura kinda sorta. Not crazy things like creating a mini sun to throw at your opponent or anything, more in the vein of "what if we took the most extreme examples of the human body and went into the absurd and then made those people fight".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Thoren posted:

I want to say Chainsaw Man, because it's amazing and it has some pretty great crazy powers, but mostly it tends to have ones with pretty quick, easy to understand explanations.

Like, if a dude is powered by the zombie devil, he makes zombies, the blood devil can control blood, that kind of thing. The manga seldom goes with the long winded explanations even for the crazier tactics.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Furnaceface posted:

Baki and Kengan Ashura kinda sorta. Not crazy things like creating a mini sun to throw at your opponent or anything, more in the vein of "what if we took the most extreme examples of the human body and went into the absurd and then made those people fight".

Baki has the benefit of being both more grounded than most anime because while characters are clearly superhuman they are still in the realm of magical realism and no one's flying or shooting lasers at each other.

However we do have a protagonist who is so good at visualizing his opponent that he can make an imaginary friend who is real enough to kick his own rear end.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Thoren posted:

Law of Ueki and Saike Mata Shite mo (same creator) both trade in this a bit. stuff like "can turn towels into metal while holding breath," or "can change an object between having the properties of styrofoam/its original properties."

i've read much more of Saike, but it doesn't and may not ever be complete in English while Ueki is (and has an anime for good measure, idk how that is).

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
This popped up in the Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments thread over in PYF, and it sounds like an interesting movie, and I was directed over this way to figure out what it is.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I cannot remember the name of the drat movie now, it was some anime about vampires. But in this city, they lived with the humans instead of in hiding, and no one preyed on anyone (you could buy blood if you wanted from humans but that was seen as weird), because the monsters outside the city were the vampires' usual meals. So humans and vamps teamed up to beat demons, easy enough. Anyway, my IIMM was that the head council of vampires were asked by some humans to raise/turn their teenagers into vampires. The kids had been killed, sneaking out of the city for the tenth time (and this time they were actually under house arrest, because the group had been found poisoning someone in the hospital), and the council decided to do it, because it would give the kids another chance at life.

Okay fine, but now they had half a dozen eternal 14-16 year olds, who began to run amok even moreso since they had magic vampire powers. And none of them wanted to be vampires in the first place.

But the movie treated the elders like they were responsible and good for doing what they did, instead of letting the kids stay dead. That they had some regret things had turned out badly, but they couldn't punish the kids any more than making them do chores, like sweeping the city, because anything harsher would be child abuse. But somehow making them eternal teenagers wasn't abuse.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
This sounds kinda sorta like a half-remembered Seraph of the End? Dunno, only one where 'vampire city teens' keywords made sense to me (also not a movie)

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Hit me with the current generations Big Three and any current Shonen that hits those sweet Naruto/Bleach vibes. Except Boruto. Never Boruto.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

hiddenriverninja posted:

Hit me with the current generations Big Three and any current Shonen that hits those sweet Naruto/Bleach vibes. Except Boruto. Never Boruto.

My Hero Academia?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

boruto

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

hiddenriverninja posted:

One Piece, My Hero Academia, Jujutsu Kaisen, and Black Clover.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Isn’t boruto the lead of black clover?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

My son is also named bortruto

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

kater posted:

Isn’t boruto the lead of black clover?

i dont think the lead of black clover was mad about his lovely dad

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

i dont think the lead of black clover was mad about his lovely dad

I mean, he wants to gently caress his mother figure, so that covers the other half of an oedipal complex.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Looking for a show where the decisions made by the main cast carry some weight and have clear consequences, good and bad. Not picky about genre.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Looking for a show where the decisions made by the main cast carry some weight and have clear consequences, good and bad. Not picky about genre.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans has the main cast make choices without fully understanding the situation, causing massive consequences, good and bad, for the entire solar system. That sound like what you're looking for?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Furnaceface posted:

extremely relevant to your request: Neon Genesis Evangelion. I'm sure you've already seen it, but it absolutely fits the bill in both directions.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, perhaps? the "main cast" is either two characters or like 50 depending on how you weigh their importance, but there's a lot of shakeups throughout, and there's also quite a bit of people explicitly facing the consequences of their actions both past and present. Yona of the Dawn might work too, it starts out with a sheltered princess who gets torn from her gilded cage and thrown into reality, and how she adapts.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans has the main cast make choices without fully understanding the situation, causing massive consequences, good and bad, for the entire solar system. That sound like what you're looking for?

Actually yes, that is pretty much spot on. Is it a decent mix of action and politics? I fine if it tilts a little heavier in either direction but preferably not too heavy in the politics side.

Captain Invictus posted:

extremely relevant to your request: Neon Genesis Evangelion. I'm sure you've already seen it, but it absolutely fits the bill in both directions.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, perhaps? the "main cast" is either two characters or like 50 depending on how you weigh their importance, but there's a lot of shakeups throughout, and there's also quite a bit of people explicitly facing the consequences of their actions both past and present. Yona of the Dawn might work too, it starts out with a sheltered princess who gets torn from her gilded cage and thrown into reality, and how she adapts.

At this point its safe to assume Ive watched most of the super popular intro anime like FMA. Ive really only avoided Gundam and magical girl shows somehow. I will take a look at Yona though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Actually yes, that is pretty much spot on. Is it a decent mix of action and politics? I fine if it tilts a little heavier in either direction but preferably not too heavy in the politics side.

On average, there's a big mech fight scene every two episodes, with occasional on-foot combat in between.

There's politics, but it's usually advanced by people in giant robots brutally murdering each other.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

s1 is action biased and s2 is politics biased

maybe for the worse in the case of the latter. but the show is liked enough overall that i'd just say try it for yourself

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Kaiji features a guy who makes a lot of decisions and some of them go very badly for him.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Srice posted:

Kaiji features a guy who makes a lot of decisions and some of them go very badly for him.

Kaiji is why I made the request in the first place. :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

s1 is action biased and s2 is politics biased

maybe for the worse in the case of the latter. but the show is liked enough overall that i'd just say try it for yourself

I mean, season 2 has more action than season 1, including a whole episode that's basically just a three way fight between a pirate fleet, the protagonists, and the Earth's military. It's just the politics come home to roost for the protagonists in season 2 after they spent season 1 being able to mostly brute force through on the fact no-one expected them.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i wouldn't say it's strictly a quantity thing, s2 obviously puts the greater focus on politicking and despite having more action i just don't think it holds up to the same level of quality as s1.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Furnaceface posted:

Maybe a bit of a left field angle, but Odd Taxi? Episode 4 especially hits hard with this.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Furnaceface posted:

Steins;Gate. A big portion of emotional impact of the show is how the MC is forced to make decisions that destroy the dreams of his friends in order to set things right.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Furnaceface posted:

You've probably already seen it, but in case you haven't: Madoka Magica fits your request to a T. And, uh, I guess to balance it out with something slightly less ubiquitous, you ever seen Grave of the Fireflies?

Dangercakes
Oct 21, 2005

Let cake eat them.
Looking for something colorful and batshit insane to fill the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure-shaped hole in my life. Open to all genres as long as it's ridiculous, fun to watch, and there's minimal tiddy/panty shot fan service.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Dangercakes posted:

Looking for something colorful and batshit insane to fill the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure-shaped hole in my life. Open to all genres as long as it's ridiculous, fun to watch, and there's minimal tiddy/panty shot fan service.

Concrete Revolutio. It has one pretty egregious tiddy shot in the first ep but like none after that, so don't let that put you off.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dangercakes posted:

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken (and heck most things Yuasa has directed) fits that perfectly.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dangercakes posted:

Code geass might have a little more fan service than jojo but it's definitely insane. Ditto for dorohedoro

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Dangercakes posted:

Have you seen Durarara?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dangercakes posted:

Seconding Dorohedoro. Absolute batshit.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Srice posted:

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken (and heck most things Yuasa has directed) fits that perfectly.

The caveat here is that when Yuasa is horny he is really horny

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

The caveat here is that when Yuasa is horny he is really horny

....Did Eizouken ever get horny...?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Spiritus Nox posted:

....Did Eizouken ever get horny...?

No, though it applies to a bunch of his catalog.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The author did heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Is xxxHOLiC worth watching? The premise seems kind of similar to Natsume's Book of Friends but the character design and the name give off a bad horny vibe.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 13, 2021