Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei posted:

What RPG do you find the funniest?

I go with Skies of Arcadia, it's got a lot of fun moments, like Vyse and Aika doing their cool handshake and then Drachma going "HANDS ON THE WHEEL", or Aika's exasperation at that one general's ship having such a big cannon

Depends on the kind of humor.

I mean the most obvious answer is Yakuza. Yakuza is frequently delightfully hilarious but if you're not counting that...

Shadow Hearts and SH:C do a good job of straddling the line between genuinely funny and absurdly goofy. They don't always land but you can feel the significant difference when SH:FANW went full comedy.
The Mario & Luigi games are often chuckleworthy and have some great physical comedy.
Disco Elysium is frequently laugh out loud hilarious.
Tokyo Mirage Sessions has a lame main plot but some truly excellent dialogue.
Earthbound is another one that isn't "laugh out loud" funny but frequently made me smile.
Dragon Quest has a lot of lame jokes but the pun game is loving on point.
Most of the Tales games aren't funny precisely but they usually have some good jokes mixed in.
I think most of the character humor in SMT games falls flat but the "troll" answers the MC can give are comedy gold.
And FF7R deserves an award for the absolute pitch-perfect line reading that is "Nailed it, I know, moving on."

Edit: Also Undertale/Deltarune are genuinely funny games a lot of the time. And Final Fantasy XIV has some utterly loving amazing questlines.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i wouldn't even say DE is the same genre of humor at all, even if its dark sometimes, very weird comparison

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Junpei posted:

I go with Skies of Arcadia, it's got a lot of fun moments, like Vyse and Aika doing their cool handshake and then Drachma going "HANDS ON THE WHEEL", or Aika's exasperation at that one general's ship having such a big cannon

Anachronox

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
frankly i'd say the humor of witch/refrain mostly just seems like the writer shooting for something like soul nomad or one of the darker ends of disgaea 1 and failing to understand that soul nomad was pretty restrained when it understood what would feel more natural narratively while its actual evil route is played less for laughs and more for exploring an actually very painful and horrific outcome and disgaea 1's darker ends are shocking because the core of the narrative is that laharl possesses the capacity to be a decent person

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Thousand Knight is the one where a lady gets turned into a mouse, and one of the main cast laughs at her as she runs away being pursued by other mice, basically laughing that she hopes she likes getting raped and having rat babies for the rest of her life?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'd honestly say Disgaea is the poster child for how to have a game that's funny most of the time and yet can still perfectly deliver legitimately shocking and emotional plot twist and reveals

like seriously, Disgaea 4 and 5 have some legit very good emotionally dramatic moments, even when they are being undercut by Val nerding out over sardines or Seraphina painting all the men in the cast as being idiots in love with her

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

Thousand Knight is the one where a lady gets turned into a mouse, and one of the main cast laughs at her as she runs away being pursued by other mice, basically laughing that she hopes she likes getting raped and having rat babies for the rest of her life?

And then they eat the rat in the very next scene, yes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idHONGNrXds

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Junpei posted:

Deltarune (Chapter 2 if we're being specific) made me laugh more than any other game I've ever played. Humour is incredibly subjective, but Toby Fox has got his finger on the pulse of my absurdist funny bone.

Evil Robo Queen: Do You Wish To Flourish Under The Warm Bosom Of My Reign
Or
Perish In The Chill Of Absolute Destruction
Party Member: ...bosom??
Queen: It Means Tity

Like, what a stupid joke but I still loving laugh at it.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Kris Get The Banana.

Potassium.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Hourai High was very funny

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm at floor 49 now of dungeon encounters. my trip report is that it really sucked when an enemy did an attack on floor 35 called 'rebalance' that killed my entire party in one hit and wiped out hours of progress because I don't want to have to loving find each wandering person one at a time and shepherd them back to the academy via the nearest teleporter floor

but when i'm in the groove of clearing out a floor, upgrading equipment, and pacmaning around all the tiles, using my abilities when necessary to shift and avoid encounters after a while.... it's a nice loop. ideal for playing while watching TV or something like that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Junpei posted:

I'd honestly say Disgaea is the poster child for how to have a game that's funny most of the time and yet can still perfectly deliver legitimately shocking and emotional plot twist and reveals

like seriously, Disgaea 4 and 5 have some legit very good emotionally dramatic moments, even when they are being undercut by Val nerding out over sardines or Seraphina painting all the men in the cast as being idiots in love with her

It's stupid but I always liked d4's cast. you don't really play disgaea for the story but it was just entertaining enough to do the job between all the fun grinding and combat

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Junpei posted:

Both Project X Zone games, but especially the second, are crammed full of some of the silliest and most niche jokes and references to other games and media. I took so many off-screen photos of various gags.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

KariOhki posted:

Both Project X Zone games, but especially the second, are crammed full of some of the silliest and most niche jokes and references to other games and media. I took so many off-screen photos of various gags.

God I dunno what's funnier, Chris Redfield trying to figure out how Ryu and Heihachi punch fireballs or Segata Sanshiro being stranded on a beach and just saying "Deep fear".

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3AXAkAYtH4

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

kirbysuperstar posted:

God I dunno what's funnier, Chris Redfield trying to figure out how Ryu and Heihachi punch fireballs or Segata Sanshiro being stranded on a beach and just saying "Deep fear".

Big fan of Segata Sanshiro telling Chrom and Lucina that classic mode is the only way to play and them having no idea what he means but still feeling an intense feeling of dread over losing the next fight regardless.

I also like Leon trying to pick up Gunslinger style from Dante, and Phoenix Wright's whole shtick with Kiryu and Majima

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Junpei posted:

That's a tough one. Disgaea at its best can be very funny. But it's not very consistent, and I wouldn't recommend it based on that alone. A few of the postgame puzzle maps in 3 and 4 made me laugh out loud with their level design, though. That's a very rare trick.

I don't have a good answer. There aren't many great comedy games in general, much less RPGs.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the first half of atelier lulua has incredible slapstick seens, before they ran out of money to do anything but have two people stand motionlessly in front of each other

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

Junpei posted:

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam : Gaiden is the funniest video game I've played. It may not count for what you're talking about because it's a parody, but I can recall so many good lines and funny moments/mechanics that just knock it out of the park.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Okage Shadow King is a very funny game.

Which is good, because the gameplay is...alright.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Arzaac posted:

Okage Shadow King is a very funny game.

Which is good, because the gameplay is...alright.
i would love a remaster with better amenities and an improved localization. the localization isn't wild arms 2 level of bad but boy does it stumble across a lot of jokes due to awkward phrasing and even more awkwardly translated punchlines/gags

actually i'd compare it a little to the script of the infamous (and racist) very bad point n click adventure Jack Orlando, where some conversations play out like characters are talking beyond each other, or you get character responses where it's not clear how it connects to the previous character's dialog. okage plays like a AAA game by comparison of course

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Tergaso posted:

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam : Gaiden is the funniest video game I've played. It may not count for what you're talking about because it's a parody, but I can recall so many good lines and funny moments/mechanics that just knock it out of the park.

Barkley is not only *extremely* funny, but also has jokes and one liners that stick in your brain forever.

It's been a decade since my last playthrough, but I think of "I believe ghosts are like dogs and they just sort of do things arbitrarily" at least once a week

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dark savior is a funny game because it has the illbleed guy writing on it so half of its script is surreal exploration of guilt and hopelessness and the other half is the main character meeting the vicious criminal jj, a tiny guy holding a pair of maracas, and telling him he looks like a banana

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
some of the jokes in atelier marie and atelier elie are also funny. i like the ongoing subplot about the late 30s-mid 40s weapon shop guy, whose literal actual name is Old Weapon Shop Guy, who's depressed about going bald and so multiple times asks both marie and elie to give him hair potions, and each time he comes back with a more ridiculous hairdo that falls apart the next day

also uh man why the gently caress did the first version of hagel boldness (right) just look like such a loving janky off-brand version of weapon shop guy (left)

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 14, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway let us all join in prayer for the eventual translation of the much coveted atelier gramnad duology, the only atelier sub-universe to ever fail to get more than two games in totality if you exclude mana khemia which doesn't count

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sorry if we're praying for JRPGs then I will continue to pray for my American Football inspired DRPG where you seek to find the way into the sacred land, Canton

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The funniest RPG I've played would probably be Barkley, followed by LISA, Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass or Deltarune.

There's a fair few that are kinda in a similar tier though, it's hard to compare say Nier Automata's sense of humor to a Mario RPG's.

WarpDogs posted:

Barkley is not only *extremely* funny, but also has jokes and one liners that stick in your brain forever.

It's been a decade since my last playthrough, but I think of "I believe ghosts are like dogs and they just sort of do things arbitrarily" at least once a week

Honestly I think it's generally aged pretty well too since the humor was more based on being absurd and Barkley being dead serious.

Ghost Dad part aside.

ImpAtom posted:

lol drat I somehow forgot that, goddamn

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

The Colonel posted:

anyway let us all join in prayer for the eventual translation of the much coveted atelier gramnad duology, the only atelier sub-universe to ever fail to get more than two games in totality if you exclude mana khemia which doesn't count

pedantic reminder that Eternal Mana only got two games and Grand Phantasm only got one

also Secret currently only has two games but they've gone back to make another Mysterious so ???

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

super robot wars is an extremely funny series. my favorite joke off the top of my head is in og2 where a former villain turned good guy from og1, sanger, shows up to save the day in his badass new mech and the bad guy does the standard 'what is that mech? we have no data on it!' and sanger goes 'its name is...'

and then it cuts to the chapter title card, like EPISODE 30: DYGENGUARD

and then the bad guy goes 'Dygenguard...? And why did you say 'Episode 30?'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wateyad posted:

also Secret currently only has two games but they've gone back to make another Mysterious so ???
i presume the gust a-team was busy with blue reflection ray and the new mysterious game is the b-team.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm sure this would make more sense in context bit wtf

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

WaltherFeng posted:

Not... especially, no.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

It does not

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
If I'm largely into the Experience DRPGs, would Undernauts feel like a good value at full price? I've always felt like that genre is great because they are a lot of game at a budget price, typically. 60 bucks feels like a lot for a game in that genre.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

KariOhki posted:

X and Zero spazzing the hell out about spikes in one of them was one of the funniest things.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Levantine posted:

If I'm largely into the Experience DRPGs, would Undernauts feel like a good value at full price? I've always felt like that genre is great because they are a lot of game at a budget price, typically. 60 bucks feels like a lot for a game in that genre.

Its their best one, yea. I got about 40 hours pre-post game out of it and its greatest sin is being really chill and player friendly.

I regret nothing about buying it and its my favorite RPG of the year, but this is not gonna be something people look back on as some groundbreaking classic

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Barudak posted:

Its their best one, yea. I got about 40 hours pre-post game out of it and its greatest sin is being really chill and player friendly.

I regret nothing about buying it and its my favorite RPG of the year, but this is not gonna be something people look back on as some groundbreaking classic

Awesome, I may do exactly that then. Does platform matter? I was thinking of doing PS5 but it's on Steam also.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Levantine posted:

Awesome, I may do exactly that then. Does platform matter? I was thinking of doing PS5 but it's on Steam also.

I believe currently only technically the PS4 version is out, so its up to you (I guess a chance they do small updates for Ps5 updaye) but purely from a historical Experince, Inc safety perspective don't be like me and buy it on Xbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

X and Zero spazzing the hell out about spikes in one of them was one of the funniest things.