Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Dark Forces in particular kind of deserves a modding renaissance with that new sourceport, many of the old mods are genuinely incredible, in the full sense of that word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/LambdaGen/status/1460572948096602116?s=20

Still my favourite game ever.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Reposting this stupid thing I made earlier this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIJhYm9mWnU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You can repost it whenever you want because it owns.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
drat I was 17 when that came out. That was literally a Half Life ago

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
TimeSplitters 2-3 just got added to the Xbox Backwards Compatibility list in the final ever update! Just bought a cheap copy of TS2 in case I get an Xbox again one day!

Also here's the TS2 soundtrack just in case you forgot how good it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvPpl717sTE

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
it would amuse me if graf forked the lucius port at some point a la raze

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
if you find your Doom experience to be not adequately *definitive*, a new GTA inspired mod has dropped:

https://twitter.com/nashmuhandes/status/1460625772675096582?s=21

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Voodoo Cafe posted:

if you find your Doom experience to be not adequately *definitive*, a new GTA inspired mod has dropped:

https://twitter.com/nashmuhandes/status/1460625772675096582?s=21

Now we need one that makes doomguy get wider with each strafe.

https://twitter.com/darkwingdust69/status/1459929293023236096?s=21

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

SeANMcBAY posted:

Now we need one that makes doomguy get wider with each strafe.

it is done

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/1460907153862971394?s=20

he is getting larger only while strafing, i just happen to be doing a lot of it there :v:

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 17, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
To be fair that getting wider bug was present in the original version of GTA 3 as well, it's part and parcel of a certain glitch you can pull off

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Incredible that they were able to get GTA3 to run like dogshit on a 3070 ti even with DLSS in TYOL 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

To be fair that getting wider bug was present in the original version of GTA 3 as well, it's part and parcel of a certain glitch you can pull off

Aren't the remasters totally redone in UE4? Strange the bug was ported too.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Turin Turambar posted:

No, the game logic underneath is still running on the old engine. Just the visual layer has been replaced, from what Ive read. The same old terrible Android/Ios ports, just with "improved" visuals.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Dieting Hippo posted:

it is done

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/1460907153862971394?s=20

he is getting larger only while strafing, i just happen to be doing a lot of it there :v:

What, couldn’t find a midi of the Wide Putin song?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
wide Doomguy's death sprite is seriously disturbing

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'd say the GTA3 remaster is worse than the WC3 one but at least you can still play the original game.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The most impressive thing about the GTA remasters is they took 20 year old games and made them look worse and perform like dogshit on modern consoles. GTA 3 needs a 30fps cap on a PS4 pro to run well? C’mon…

Digital Foundry did a deep dive.

https://youtu.be/Y1JJt7xHTlE

If a developer can get the goddamn Crysis trilogy to run well on a Switch then a developer can figure out how to get good performance out of a GTA remaster.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'd say the GTA3 remaster is worse than the WC3 one but at least you can still play the original game.

I mean the originals aren't for sale any more but at least Rockstar didn't replace them with the terrible new versions, so sometimes terrible anti-consumer practices have their benefits

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The most impressive thing about the GTA remasters is they took 20 year old games and made them look worse and perform like dogshit on modern consoles. GTA 3 needs a 30fps cap on a PS4 pro to run well? C’mon…

If it's all the same code just dumped into a new renderer then I can't fault them too much, the old games needed to run at a 30 FPS cap in order for things not to break. The PC versions let you turn that off as an option but nobody ever did it because otherwise the game just stopped working.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 17, 2021

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

They're not totally redone. The original game code is still there (based off the mobile versions), but RenderWare (which the games used only for its rendering part not as engine) was replaced by UE4.

Nokiaman fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 17, 2021

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

UnknownMercenary posted:

If it's all the same code just dumped into a new renderer then I can't fault them too much, the old games needed to run at a 30 FPS cap in order for things not to break. The PC versions let you turn that off as an option but nobody ever did it because otherwise the game just stopped working. It's more pathetic that it's not even a smooth 30.

There's a fan patch that fixed that, among other things that the remaster doesn't.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Question time: if you had to pick one episode of one retro FPS game to survive the videogame apocalypse, which one would it be?

I'm going to say: Doom E1 as it's just so iconic and endlessly replayable. I guess that's an unfair one to start with. Runner up would be Duke 3D Episode 3 as it's end to end city maps and that was my favourite part of that game, and for some reason that weird time between the release of Doom and Quake was super memorable for me

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Convex posted:

Question time: if you had to pick one episode of one retro FPS game to survive the videogame apocalypse, which one would it be?

I'm going to say: Doom E1 as it's just so iconic and endlessly replayable. I guess that's an unfair one to start with. Runner up would be Duke 3D Episode 3 as it's end to end city maps and that was my favourite part of that game, and for some reason that weird time between the release of Doom and Quake was super memorable for me

Surface Tension from Half Life is one of the most atmospheric levels in an FPS ever and is incredibly varied in the scenarios Gordon must fight in.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Baron von Eevl posted:

edit I take it back, the Mara Jade expansion for Jedi Knight is the worst, that poo poo sucks and I couldn't finish it

The level design quality was so all over the place. Dromund Kaas was bad and I couldn't as a kid figure out where to go but you had some cool city levels where you go through an apartment and just casually say passing through or the demo mission which was really cool in dropping a starfighter on a bunch of Stormtroopers breaking in (Just remembered I hated the following set of missions on that asteroid that followed that cool sequence).

I love Jedi Knight 1 and played that game all the time on Microsoft Zone along with XvsT.
I think the middle maps especially Baron's Hed were really great and especially the scale of it. I also enjoyed the falling ship levels but the Valley of the Jedi was weak overall.

And going to echo how great Jerec is in chewing the scenery.

So I'll be excited to see his Outcast play through of it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The Kins posted:

New update from Lucius on Force Engine:

Thanks for sharing this because it looks like he's not kept the site to to date, I've had it in a browser tab and didn't see anything about this. Looks incredible though. Hopefully the website will be the thing he stops updating this time.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

doom 2 doesn't have episodes so i'd have to go with heretic e1

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
What was the last big title that had episodes at all? Quake?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Baron von Eevl posted:

What was the last big title that had episodes at all? Quake?

Half-Life 2 :haw:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

wait no dusk e2

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Dusk, in my heart.

doom 2 not having episodes is just one of the reasons it is the lesser of the senior dooms

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
This doesn't happen often but when a game has chapters/episode titles and the final chapter/level/mission is named after the game itself I start hooting and hollering and banging pots and pans together. Since I don't get that enough in games I do this in every stupid book I write.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Doom 2 doesn’t have proper episodes but I still consider the intermission screens as bookmarks.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's fair and I think dividing media into sections or chapters or acts like that is usually a great idea, but i always feel like when I hear "episode" in reference to a video game it's the strict "you're starting over from scratch" thing. I don't really understand why these old id and build engine games did that other than it was just the model that wolf3d established.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SeANMcBAY posted:

Doom 2 doesn’t have proper episodes but I still consider the intermission screens as bookmarks.

I took the sky textures as the "episodes" since the Dead Simple text doesn't really mark a change in setting. The sky textures mark the game into the starport, the city, and then Hell.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Baron von Eevl posted:

That's fair and I think dividing media into sections or chapters or acts like that is usually a great idea, but i always feel like when I hear "episode" in reference to a video game it's the strict "you're starting over from scratch" thing. I don't really understand why these old id and build engine games did that other than it was just the model that wolf3d established.

They only have so many guns and enemies, past a certain point you just kind of max out everything, nothing new is left, and there’s not much more challenge you can throw at the player (at least not on a 1994 PC). Modern big budget shooters tend to give you a bunch of upgrades to fill out the back half of the game instead of resetting you to zero too often.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

It made sense when they were selling games through the shareware model. The first section is free, and you know that if there's 3 more paid episodes, you still have 75% of the game to experience.

Also, Doom 2 is a standalone expansion.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Also, Wolf 3D didn't establish that so much as a multitude of Apogee releases, Commander Keen not least of which, had established sooner. Probably somebody else even sooner than that!

I almost miss that game-selling structure, but given I'm drowning in games to play at this point, I suppose I, myself, really don't need more free shareware to try on top of that.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Quake 2 was definitely split into discrete units, and Quake 3 had tiers for the bot single player.

Also only bad movies don't include a scene where a character says the name of the movie in the dialogue, and the same rule should apply for video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

spongeh posted:

Also only bad movies don't include a scene where a character says the name of the movie in the dialogue, and the same rule should apply for video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Azs3S2erk