Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ranbo das posted:

I don't care if it's real or not, that was worth the read

Yes indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

ranbo das posted:

They actually posted pictures in the thread.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Strategic Tea posted:

People who talk about 'backstabbing', unless they are literal teenagers or professional assassins, get an instant eyebrow raise from me.

Like what context in a normal life can you even betray someone? Is it normal to have enough drama and secrets swirling around that backstabbing is a possibility?

They're the same ones who complain about all their exes being lovely. There's one common denominator in each situation & it's not the ex...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

In the end though, drink what you like, and sensory perception is *extremely* personal and consumers are very frustrating to deal with as a product developer. 😉

What you need is a perfectly spherical consumer. Oh, wait.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Bonster posted:

They actually posted pictures in the thread.

Bruiser posted pictures of his insane rear end waterslide, but everyone says his stories were made up

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hey, Brenda. Yeah, I need to talk to you ab--yeah, about the rabies thing. So you all are on that. Cool. Well, just let me know. Yeah. About the rabies. Okay, thanks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Lone Badger posted:

They've used the same treatment a few more times and it hasn't worked, so it seems it was a fluke.

The analogy I've seen used is that when you get bitten it lights a fuse. The fuse is your nerve, and it's slowly burning backwards towards your brain. At this stage you can get treatment and snuff our the tiny flame, no issues. There are no symptoms because it's such a tiny little infection.
But once the fuse burns down all the way and it reaches your brain, it turns into a bonfire. There's so much fuel here and there's nothing anyone can do to put it out before it kills you. This is also when the first symptoms present themselves.

It turns out (paper retracted because table 1 is plagiarized, not because the facts are wrong) that there are so far 29 human survivors of rabies known. Part of the table is plagiarized from here. Four of the known survivors used the Milwaukee protocol, or a modification.

e:f,b and with more recent data, too!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mx. posted:

australian bats carry a lyssavirus that causes a disease in humans that is also called rabies

do not lick the bats
Whatever, nerd. Better a batlicker than a bootlicker

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

drat, I read the elder-abuse one twice. That gripping.

e: She linked to the urn!

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 17, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

God drat that poo poo looks like Crayola

Oh drat does Crayola make urns

Edit: I really don't like how these search results are making me feel, I think I'm gonna have a cocoa

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 17, 2021

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I once got a tiny scratch from a monkey in Nepal and I went batshit crazy about possibly dying of rabies

After doing hours of panicked research on the web I finally decided the chances of me having got rabies was next to nothing. But if I did hoooo boy I was in for some poo poo.

It's pretty terrifying because everything I've read suggests that as soon as a symptom appears, it's already too late for treatment :stonklol:

The flip side to this is apparently if you get the full vaccines before you show symptoms, you'll be okay. If this story is real, this woman is running a total scam.

OP's comment:

quote:

She got back this weekend. She was gone for 2 weeks, and the bite happened at the beginning of the vacation. Part of why she opted out of getting the rest of the shots was because she did feel really lovely and rundown and missed out on snorkeling or something the day after she got the first round of shots, and didn't want the rest of the shots to mess up her vacation. And she was convinced that missing the shots wasn't a big deal, and that the doctors didn't tell her how important getting the full set of shots was.
drat. I've messed up hilariously in my life, but "I'm going to forgo medical treatment so I don't ruin my vacation" is way out of my league. Like somebody posted recently, there are people out there who can't be reasoned with because all they care about is what they want at that moment. They are pure Id.

The story is very believable, if not true, because people are morons about their healthcare. Years ago I read some evangelical Christian propaganda about how you should become a Christian because if you were sick, wouldn't you want the best medical care and the best doctors, therefore wouldn't you ? (This was before Steve Jobs was diagnosed with cancer and I think before the "vaccines cause autism" movement really hit it big in the US.) I haven't thought of that in ages but it popped into my head recently because of how stupidly people are responding to Covid. I also enjoy reading horrible stories from health care professionals and there's been stuff like the woman who had to have the same eye operation three times because instead of going home and lying down quietly she went to family dinners and stuff. Because the alternative to screwing up recovery from an operation on her eyeball was that she didn't get to go to a family dinner.

There was also a story about a kid who had an eye operation and then went on a roller coaster at an amusement park a few days later, but I give that kid a pass because we're all morons at age twelve; the adults were really the ones who failed there. Anyway, that one couldn't be fixed and now he doesn't have that eye anymore.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

mllaneza posted:

tldr; do not gently caress with OP

Hell Hath No Fury Like Me Scorned (also posted on r/nuclearrevenge)

In case you ever have a tiny bit of sympathy for her dad or think maybe OP went too far with her revenge, here are some key details she left out of the initial post:

- OP's dad wrote her and her sister out of the will "for personal reasons"

- He took out multiple life insurance policies on each grandchild belonging to either her sister or Shorty

- Shorty abandoned his kids in the trash house to live at his girlfriend's house

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Besides having his wishes violated after his death, it's a pretty mild revenge. Dad was cared for in a nursing home until he died while OP managed his estate the way it should have been managed all along. OP earned that money!

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for sending my stepson to his mom after he flushed my daughter's formula down the toilet and wanting to tell his dad?
When my brother was a newborn I resented him taking my parents' attention away. I would stomp around and make noise to wake him up. I was 2.

I didn't expect the story to end with the adults involved being even less mature

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

DemoneeHo posted:

In case you ever have a tiny bit of sympathy for her dad or think maybe OP went too far with her revenge, here are some key details she left out of the initial post:

- OP's dad wrote her and her sister out of the will "for personal reasons"

- He took out multiple life insurance policies on each grandchild belonging to either her sister or Shorty

- Shorty abandoned his kids in the trash house to live at his girlfriend's house
Mostly I just feel sad for the dog.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sounds like somebody needs to "get" this "Shorty" fella

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

AITA for getting mad at my mum for not telling me about a job offer?

quote:

So I applied for my dream job (a summer job for next year) a few weeks ago, did the interview and it actually went pretty well.

The only catch is that the job is in Australia which is a pretty far distance away. My parents don’t want me to move away because they’re scared they’re never going to see me again. I’m also the glue that holds the family together so when I leave then the family might struggle.

After not hearing back from them, I assumed I didn’t get the job and while disappointed I decided to move on and focus on college. I called my dad a couple of days ago and we got chatting about jobs and I told him how I moved on from the job, to which he responded “but you got the job didn’t you?”

I sat there in confused silence for a moment before he proceeded to tell me that they had called last week and my mum had spoken to them. She then apparently told my dad I had decided not to take the job.

I didn’t say anything to my dad and I hung up a few minutes later to call my mum. Very angrily I confronted her and she admitted that she turned down the offer on my behalf because she didn’t want me to leave. She then said that I couldn’t have cared that much about the job because I’d gotten over not getting it.

I completely blew up at her and we haven’t spoken since. My dad’s asked me to reach out to her as he thinks it’s time to forgive her but I’m still really angry.

So AITA?
:murder:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

mllaneza posted:

:unsmith: Feelgood story of the year

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Biplane posted:

Just don't lick, eat, suck on, or gently caress the bats???

who do u think u are???

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So this person clearly has a mobile phone, but for some reason they put the family landline number on the application?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

100% believe rabies woman. We had a fairly recent case where some idiot 20-something saw a "bat acting really weird" so of course instantly got out his phone to try to earn some tiktok cred. Went over and picked up the bat and handled it while laughing about how weird the bad was acting. Eventually threw it down after it bit him. What a funny video.

He died. None of his idiot friends knew what rabies was. They knew he was bit and everyone agreed to just wait and see how he felt, only went to the doctor after symptoms started.

Also this is canada so there was no financial consideration to seeing the doctor.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 17, 2021

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Huh, a tiktok video I'd watch

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

jkk posted:

So this person clearly has a mobile phone, but for some reason they put the family landline number on the application?

Probably listed home and cell, called home first and the mom told them she had found other work.

Daughter knew her mom was unhappy, but didn't expect her to be a straight up sociopath.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The old tale of "We are scared you'll leave and make things harder for us so we ensured your resentment by taking away an opportunity without your knowledge or consent, guaranteeing you'll leave us and make things harder."

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

yeah this is kind of a hosed up story but the Occam’s razor explanation is that Lauren and Liz are in love with each other and have been for a long time.

I mean, good luck to them, they both sound like lovely narcissists (although for Lauren at least part of that is grief). while it is always correct to be your authentic self and not remain in a sham marriage, there’s no rule that says that your authentic self is a good person to be around.

This story almost creeps me out because I absolutely knew a duo like this. They’d constantly triangulate each-other against new “enemies” so the whole dynamic is based on “us” vs “them.” The woman’s grief itself is understandable but the treatment of the husband in the story is so familiar; a total inability to process her own emotions so all the bad feelings get projected and blamed on an easy target.

The duo I knew is a straight woman and gay man and there’s nothing romantic between them, just a completely toxic emotional dependency.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
AITA for going off on my SIL after she insisted on taking my husband with her as her +1 to her friend's wedding?

quote:

We lost my brother in law (34) (my husband's twin brother) 2 years ago in a serious car accident. He was a good person with a good heart and losing him was devastating especially on my sister in law (his wife).

We all offered different types of help to my sister in law and my husband has been the most supportive in the family by stepping up and helping out with transportation, child care, money, food, doctor appointments, kids matters at school etc.

My sister in law has been vocal about her needs lately. And I noticed she's been asking my husband to do too many things for her that she in my opinion can do herself like fixing the doorhandle or getting food for the dog. My inlaws noticed how she constantly keeps calling his number yet ignore all of us and turn down any offers to help her wether the house or kids. It was irritating not gonna lie. I told my husband and he kept saying he wants to help out his brother's family and finds himself guilty when he ignores her phonecalls though he's very busy with our kids and work.

This biggest fight was days ago when I was at my inlaws and my sister in law talked about recieving an invite to her friend's wedding but was required to bring a +1. She flatout told me to tell my husband to be available on x day to go with her to the wedding as her +1. We were all shocked I looked at her and asked if she was serious. She ranted about not finding anyone close available and also not feeling comfortable asking her husband's friends to accompany her. I said sorry but my husband was busy and next thing she did was ignore me and pull her phone out to call him. I stopped her and told her very firmly and loudly that she needed to knock it off because my husband isn't hers and she needed to just stop acting like it. She looked at me shocked and said a lot of stuff I can't remember but accused me of not wanting her husband's brother who's her kids uncle to help her out and also accused me of discouraging him from spending time with the family and his nephews. She went on calling me petty for feeling jealous and resentment towards a struggling widow and said she needed to go to the wedding to have fun after 2 years of being depressed and unable to go out. I argued with her then left. My mother in law called saying she understood my frustration and agreed sister in law had no right but I also had no right to say what I said and basically rubbing the fact unlike her I still have my husband with me in her face. She wanted me to apologize but I refused and explained how my sister in law was behaving all those months but everyone keeps saying I should be graceful and sympathatic as my sister in law is trying to adapt to her new normal. My husband said I should talk to her from one woman to another.
Give me your husband!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Tendales posted:

Sure, in the same way that table salt is ~50% chlorine. Strictly speaking cane sugar is 0% fructose. Sucrose is a fructose molecule bonded to a glucose molecule, but that bond still matters. For example, the bacteria that produces plaque and fucks up your teeth can only process sucrose, not fructose or glucose.

There's some important chemical differences between sucrose and HFCS. For example, heated to about 45C or so, the fructose in HFCS will start to break down into hydroxymethylfurfural. I don't think it's harmful to humans, but it'll loving kill your bees, which was sort of a problem when they tried to use it to save failing bee colonies. Oops. (Sucrose will also kill your bees, but only because it doesn't provide all the nutrition they need)

Once consumed, sucrose breaks down very quickly into fructose and glucose during the digestion process, but AFAICT there's not a lot of solid evidence for or against whether that extra chemical step makes any health difference.

Also sucrose in soda tends to break down to the monosaccharides even before you drink it, but I've also never seen any convincing study on what proportion of the sucrose has broken down by the time you drink it.

My stance on the quality of taste tests is that most people don't actually think about what they're pouring into their faces, so there's only so much useful information you can get from asking them.

There is a connection between consumption of hfcs and insulin resistance. Phone posting so I can't give you papers on it right now.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

trickybiscuits posted:

The story is very believable, if not true, because people are morons about their healthcare. Years ago I read some evangelical Christian propaganda about how you should become a Christian because if you were sick, wouldn't you want the best medical care and the best doctors, therefore wouldn't you ? (This was before Steve Jobs was diagnosed with cancer and I think before the "vaccines cause autism" movement really hit it big in the US.) I haven't thought of that in ages but it popped into my head recently because of how stupidly people are responding to Covid. I also enjoy reading horrible stories from health care professionals and there's been stuff like the woman who had to have the same eye operation three times because instead of going home and lying down quietly she went to family dinners and stuff. Because the alternative to screwing up recovery from an operation on her eyeball was that she didn't get to go to a family dinner.

There was also a story about a kid who had an eye operation and then went on a roller coaster at an amusement park a few days later, but I give that kid a pass because we're all morons at age twelve; the adults were really the ones who failed there. Anyway, that one couldn't be fixed and now he doesn't have that eye anymore.

Is there a thread for stories like that here? Sounds like great procrastination reading material.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

quote:

r/relationships: are you here to complain about the rabies thing? We're working on taking care of it

Mods plz

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Gadzuko posted:

AITA for going off on my SIL after she insisted on taking my husband with her as her +1 to her friend's wedding?

Give me your husband!

“Give me your house, your husband, your huddled babies yearning to breathe free, the things I envy of your desirable life. Send these, the things I need, to me, I lift my lamp to illuminate my entitlement!”

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ScienceSeagull posted:

Is there a thread for stories like that here? Sounds like great procrastination reading material.
Supposedly, Kerry Von Erich destroyed his surgically-reconstructed foot by trying to walk on it. He wound up with a prosthetic foot.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
One of my high school friends ripped all his wisdom teeth stitches by immediately smoking a cigarette when he was done. He was the first of us to die.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

ranbo das posted:

loving same

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

“Give me your house, your husband, your huddled babies yearning to breathe free, the things I envy of your desirable life. Send these, the things I need, to me, I lift my lamp to illuminate my entitlement!”

Its too bad this is too long for a thread title.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mllaneza posted:

there's really nothing there that doesn't scream "absolutely real" to anyone who's ever lived in a small rural town.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

r/relationships: I lift my lamp to illuminate my entitlement

LookListen
Jul 6, 2011
This rabies talk is making me nervous because I was scratched by a kitten in an animal shelter awhile back, and because the scratch was barely a red line, not bleeding, I didn't think that 'counted' enough to report to the staff, so now and then when my anxiety creeps in late at night I get worried that maybe I have a slow moving rabies infection and just don't know yet!!

But that was like 7ish years ago at this point, the kitten had been in the shelter with its litter for awhile, and they went out to a foster, so I'm probably fine, right? Riiiiight? :ohdear:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

LookListen posted:

This rabies talk is making me nervous because I was scratched by a kitten in an animal shelter awhile back, and because the scratch was barely a red line, not bleeding, I didn't think that 'counted' enough to report to the staff, so now and then when my anxiety creeps in late at night I get worried that maybe I have a slow moving rabies infection and just don't know yet!!

But that was like 7ish years ago at this point, the kitten had been in the shelter with its litter for awhile, and they went out to a foster, so I'm probably fine, right? Riiiiight? :ohdear:

You are actually dead op and are trapped in a lovely art house film

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Unless you are just incredibly unlucky, you are not going to get rabies from a scratch…unless it’s that new slow rabies I’ve heard about that adorable kittens have.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

LookListen posted:

You're already dead. These forums are purgatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Hell, rabies chat is making me nervous because last night I dreamed a bat was in my room and then I opened the thread this morning and maybe it's a ~sign~ it wasn't a dream :ohdear: