Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Did you ever see you brother in law and this plant guy in the same room?

Imagine being in a room with both of them after a big meal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

part of the thing with vinyl was that there was a sense of discovery, I could go to three different goodwills and a savers and look through the records and find different things and consider what I might want and would have to be satisfied only buying a couple things

now the records are picked clean daily by internet auction vultures, the only thing left is sandblasted wasp hymns and sleeveless easy listening - if even that

i don't even really bother very much any more.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

hexwren posted:

part of the thing with vinyl was that there was a sense of discovery, I could go to three different goodwills and a savers and look through the records and find different things and consider what I might want and would have to be satisfied only buying a couple things

now the records are picked clean daily by internet auction vultures, the only thing left is sandblasted wasp hymns and sleeveless easy listening - if even that

Yes. The so called "vinyl revival" killed record collecting.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
everyone should simply be like me, the enlightened classical vinyl collector

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Did Metallica do any classical albums?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

for a birthday some years back, a friend of mine got me a sealed box of used records from a half-price books - they didn't realize it was classical, but I didn't care, there's some nice and/or weird poo poo in there I definitely kept. I need to listen to more of it, but I end up getting guilty whenever I end up not actively listening to something I put on, and I've got adhd brain and there's a lot of stuff in there I've never heard before, so there's a chance it becomes audio wallpaper, which I want to avoid

e: but some of the stuff is also like complete operas, and I don't have the time to sit there and follow along in my book

hexwren fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 18, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

phosdex posted:

Anybody eyeing anything for RSD? I looked over the list and don't see anything of interest to me.

There's a fancy Thundercat album, but I've already got the regular release and double dipping just isn't my thing.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

hexwren posted:

for a birthday some years back, a friend of mine got me a sealed box of used records from a half-price books - they didn't realize it was classical, but I didn't care, there's some nice and/or weird poo poo in there I definitely kept. I need to listen to more of it, but I end up getting guilty whenever I end up not actively listening to something I put on, and I've got adhd brain and there's a lot of stuff in there I've never heard before, so there's a chance it becomes audio wallpaper, which I want to avoid

e: but some of the stuff is also like complete operas, and I don't have the time to sit there and follow along in my book

I just realized I'm old, I can go to a loving opera if I feel like it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

lmao

petit choux posted:

Krautrock rules as far as i can tell
:yeah:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsSKRKzYLZs

CPL593H posted:

Someone mentioned Metallica then people dogpiled Metallica. Then I complained about how much stuff costs and a bunch of people were like "Oh god, this guy and his annoying posting gimmick.". It's pretty safe to just skip all of it.

I read it all. A lot of people i’d never seen post here before. Is there a bat signal when someone mentions Metallica? Is it a Beetlejuice thing?

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 18, 2021

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

You're not wrong but we're turbo hosed anyway so I'm kind of like "meh".

Don't pay Record Store Day prices for Dusty Springfield comps. They're really easy to find and rarely cost more than ten bucks. Plus if you're buying old pressings you'll be able to get them in mono and they're obviously going to be all analog pressings. The Shangri-Las album (if it's their fist album) not so much, I would assume you'll more or less pay the same price for the reissue or even a little less.

YES I AM TALKING ABOUT THE PRICES AGAIN BUT THIS TIME BEING HELPFUL. I AM FAR BEYOND A DEEP SENSE OF ENNUI AND I FEEL NOTHING BUT EXHAUSTED ANYMORE.

The day CPL-whatever stops bitching about prices is the day the music has died. You keep on keepin on :ocelot:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I can't be mad at anyone with a good roxy music username

also I'm mad at myself for not getting into roxy music until I was in my thirties

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

hexwren posted:

I DJ'ed a record store sale this weekend and they had a ton of $1 bins. It was annoying to see a couple older dudes who were grabbing 50+ records and storing them in a corner of the store in their own bins and then when they were done flipping pulling every record out to check conditions, telling people "no those are my stack", etc. It was obvious they wouldn't be keeping any of them and just trying to make a profit. I would much rather those records go to people that actually want to add them to their collection and listen to them.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Saw all these new posts and thought Garth Brooks had dug into the archives and released a new massive box set. Oh well.

Neither from Garth nor Metallica, it was a decent week for picking up a few odds and ends I'd been wanting to have on vinyl:

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpeOmDDfpfA

Heard We're Both Lawyers on WFMU twoish weeks ago and instantly ordered this off of discogs. Haven't been super impressed with the rest of the album but this krautrocky groove was worth it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

CaptainBeefart posted:

I DJ'ed a record store sale this weekend and they had a ton of $1 bins. It was annoying to see a couple older dudes who were grabbing 50+ records and storing them in a corner of the store in their own bins and then when they were done flipping pulling every record out to check conditions, telling people "no those are my stack", etc. It was obvious they wouldn't be keeping any of them and just trying to make a profit. I would much rather those records go to people that actually want to add them to their collection and listen to them.

I'm glad I've never seen this at my local record store, although I feel like the staff members are attentive enough to see it and put a stop to it (they politely swoop on any unmasked folks and remind them of the store's mask policy). Then again, most of the time I see people in the record store, they're just...wandering around and not even attempting to look at the records. drat kids. :bahgawd:

I usually have the country/bluegrass section all to myself. :colbert: ..I'm buying the used ones up faster than the store can get them in. :(

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Read After Burning posted:

I'm glad I've never seen this at my local record store, although I feel like the staff members are attentive enough to see it and put a stop to it (they politely swoop on any unmasked folks and remind them of the store's mask policy). Then again, most of the time I see people in the record store, they're just...wandering around and not even attempting to look at the records. drat kids. :bahgawd:

I usually have the country/bluegrass section all to myself. :colbert: ..I'm buying the used ones up faster than the store can get them in. :(

I will say that the store is hardcore on enforcing masks and giving a mask to anyone who walks in without one no questions asked which is fantastic. They were also looking to get rid of a lot of old stock so I figure they didn't want to discourage anyone and they had other sales like 20% off all used and 10% off new.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

hexwren posted:

When thrift store digging, embrace the weird. You're not going to find a VG+ Funhouse or mono Beatles album, but after you get past the endless Judy Collins, Sing Along With Mitch, and Ray Coniff Singers, there's still interesting stuff there. I'm partial to Hawaiian music, though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Vultures are gonna vulture, and their grabbing stuff can even be seen as (kinda) a good thing, as said albums are entering the marketplace again and might be bought and loved, instead of languishing in a display case next to a sunny window or stacked horizontally until they're warped beyond saving.

Example: the owner of one of my local shops has been telling me to check out his satellite location in the corner of one of those enormous antique places off the thruway for years. When I finally wen a couple weeks ago, I found thousands of in-good-shape and clean albums priced $3-$8, and a 50% off all vinyl sale. Cue me stopping there after work for a half hour each day for two weeks, gradually working my way through the stacks and walking away with 10-15 albums each time. I've picked up a ton of mildly obscure 80s and 90s indie rock, mostly from Hoboken NJ, and lesser-known garage and psychedelia albums, all in good to great shape.

Moral of the story: don't lose hope. Record stores still have bargain bins, and Crate-digging can still yield results; it just takes more work to keep ahead of the bastards, and a commitment to weirder stuff. Keep the faith.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

petit choux posted:

Maybe you need one of these:

*on the Pip label

Music to Grow Plants? gently caress that poo poo! Mother Earth's Plantasia!

https://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/products/sbr3030-mort-garson-mother-earths-plantasia

it's actually pretty cool and chill especially if you like moog stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZkR3PyHTs0

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Hot Diggity! posted:

Music to Grow Plants? gently caress that poo poo! Mother Earth's Plantasia!

https://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/products/sbr3030-mort-garson-mother-earths-plantasia

it's actually pretty cool and chill especially if you like moog stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZkR3PyHTs0

Figure I'll go ahead and post this embroidery I made earlier this year. Gave it to a friend who introduced me to the craft but not gonna lie wish I had it on my wall.

Since the repress of Plantasia I've seen a few of his other records get released, I really need to check them out. One of my favorite artists Robert Beatty did the cover for this one and it owns.

CaptainBeefart fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 18, 2021

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

CaptainBeefart posted:

Figure I'll go ahead and post this embroidery I made earlier this year. Gave it to a friend who introduced me to the craft but not gonna lie wish I had it on my wall.

Since the repress of Plantasia I've seen a few of his other records get released, I really need to check them out. One of my favorite artists Robert Beatty did the cover for this one and it owns.

Oh dude that's incredible. I love it! Very very jealous of your friend. Amazing work!

Mort rocks and he has a lot of good stuff.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Hot Diggity! posted:

Oh dude that's incredible. I love it! Very very jealous of your friend. Amazing work!

Mort rocks and he has a lot of good stuff.

Thanks Hot Diggity!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hexwren posted:

honestly half the reason I get operas is the book, they're so so so much nicer than the ones you get in CDs, let alone trying to follow it on a smartphone

some of the packaging is super nice too since rich people bought them, some of the RCA ones I have are from a sublabel called "Soria" which was meant as a super premium product, the booklet is full color from 1959 and has a blurb about how it's printed on some super amazing paper stock from Italy or something lol

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
poo poo like this is why I've surprised myself buying a bunch of classical. Generally adult owned, well cared for as a prestige product, and lots of bonus things. For $4 because there's tons of it nobody really cares about it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

honestly half the reason I get operas is the book, they're so so so much nicer than the ones you get in CDs, let alone trying to follow it on a smartphone

some of the packaging is super nice too since rich people bought them, some of the RCA ones I have are from a sublabel called "Soria" which was meant as a super premium product, the booklet is full color from 1959 and has a blurb about how it's printed on some super amazing paper stock from Italy or something lol

Pics or it didn't happen I say

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

hexwren posted:

the prog guys, for the record, are constantly arguing about dream theater

DUUURRRRR MANGINI DUURRRRRRR PORTNOY DURRRRRRRRRRR ACTUALLY KEVIN MOORE

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Classical records are almost always in perfect condition at thrift stores. I got a Stockhausen record about a month ago that could have been brand new basically.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Classical records are almost always in perfect condition at thrift stores. I got a Stockhausen record about a month ago that could have been brand new basically.

That's a find. Never found a Stockhausen. Back in college he was the shiznit.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

drat, I missed Yeschat.

petit choux posted:

Okay, I'm changing my pitch on Rick, I'm looking at all his old videos and I think this guy has really been living the life. Yessongs may have been the high point for him but he never stopped playing and enjoying himself, or so it appears.

When I was in my early teens I was pretty attached to this album, thanks to Columbia Record Club. I personally think it may have been his high point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZvKUlhpmrQ

OMG Imma listen to it

OMG I don't know if I can do this

JAMOOOL posted:

one neat/frustrating thing about Yessongs is that you almost never find a decent-looking copy. every single time I've seen one it looked like it was falling apart. since it contained basically everything from their 3 most recent albums (minus "South Side of the Sky") and came at the height of Yesmania I imagine people just listened to it a bunch. it's such a killer live album, too.

I've got a lot of Rick's solo LPs - they're quite common, as for some reason in the mid-70s he was selling nearly as many records as Yes themselves. it's funny how he has this reputation as the "down to Earth" Yesman who likes beer and chicken wings when his solo albums are the most ridiculous poo poo - one of them is literally a soundtrack to some King Arthur on Ice thing. Six Wives is quite good though.

Wakeman's ridiculously cheesy.

I looove No Earthly Connection. The lyrics are bad, the singing's awful, there's a piss waterfall and it's glorious. (The Prisoner is a pretty good song.)

Wakeman had about four years of being relevant. Six Wives is lovely. I'm not as into Journey or King Arthur. Criminal Record is good, especially Chamber of Horrors and Judas Iscariot. I'd been hoping to find Rock n Roll Prophet in the wild, but it looks like I'll have to just get it off Discogs. Everything else is very hit or miss, with Wakeman shamelessly issuing billions of albums for whatever money people will give him.

I have a pretty fair copy of Yessongs. The Progeny boxset has all the concerts the songs came from, but I've never been able to get myself to shell out the money for it.

I also recommend Anderson's solo albums. Olias of Sunhillow is one of my favorite albums ever.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Read After Burning posted:

Speaking of Japanese records, how y'all feel about obi strips? I like the ones that fully slide onto the record sleeve, but the ones that just kinda....cling to the spine suck rear end.

I'm not particularly into the aesthetic of an obi and they drive me insane at the plant because they increase the amount of time it takes to pack & assemble an order by like 30%. One of our biggest customers puts them on everything. I've spent entire shifts just pre-folding the last inch of the drat things where you want them to catch before you fold over and sticker/tape it tight.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

BigFactory posted:

Apparently someone is still printing avant-garde stuff on vinyl because I got a relatively recent (from like 5 years ago) record of one of the Klavierstucks at a shop recently.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Pretzellogic posted:

When thrift store digging, embrace the weird. You're not going to find a VG+ Funhouse or mono Beatles album, but after you get past the endless Judy Collins, Sing Along With Mitch, and Ray Coniff Singers, there's still interesting stuff there. I'm partial to Hawaiian music, though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

i dunno if I'm putting across how dire things are here. like, no. around here, when you go to the thrift store, there are about five to ten records' worth of hosed-up cottage cheese people singing about jesus in the 1950s, a couple not-even-kaempfert-level easy listening discs, all run over by the sandpaper truck in the parking lot, and that's it. it takes about eight seconds to go through the available records in a given thrift store here.

i am absolutely willing to buy some wonky "playing mantovani on a hammered dulcimer" record or dumber and weirder than that. I own multiple rod mckuen albums. it's not that my standards are too high, it's that the records are gone

the thrift environment here (austin tx) is one where there are no records to even consider. the record stores are fine and I enjoy shopping in them, but that's a whole different thing

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

pwn posted:

I read it all. A lot of people i’d never seen post here before. Is there a bat signal when someone mentions Metallica? Is it a Beetlejuice thing?

I usually just lurk to see if anything cool gets posted. But we’re not 12 year olds, and the “you’re band sux” gets old and discourages posting. I’m all set on video game soundtracks and vaporwave, but don’t need to say it every time some one gets excited about their new Pokémon weed album.

In other news, I finally found a copy of crack the skye. Apparently an original German pressing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

petit choux posted:

Pics or it didn't happen I say

The included book really is gorgeous. This isn't the best Tosca (it's kind of the Callas by default which isn't just the best Tosca but usually considered one of the greatest opera recordings ever made) but it's good stuff.

I got this for like $5

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

McCoy Pauley posted:

Saw all these new posts and thought Garth Brooks had dug into the archives and released a new massive box set. Oh well.

Neither from Garth nor Metallica, it was a decent week for picking up a few odds and ends I'd been wanting to have on vinyl:

gently caress yeah Beach Bunny

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I never got into Rick Wakeman and don't have much interest in his music overall but the score he did for Crimes of Passion rules. The movie also rules and everyone should watch it.

CaptainBeefart posted:

This is amazing.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

RC and Moon Pie posted:

drat, I missed Yeschat.

Wakeman's ridiculously cheesy.

I looove No Earthly Connection. The lyrics are bad, the singing's awful, there's a piss waterfall and it's glorious. (The Prisoner is a pretty good song.)

Wakeman had about four years of being relevant. Six Wives is lovely. I'm not as into Journey or King Arthur. Criminal Record is good, especially Chamber of Horrors and Judas Iscariot. I'd been hoping to find Rock n Roll Prophet in the wild, but it looks like I'll have to just get it off Discogs. Everything else is very hit or miss, with Wakeman shamelessly issuing billions of albums for whatever money people will give him.

I have a pretty fair copy of Yessongs. The Progeny boxset has all the concerts the songs came from, but I've never been able to get myself to shell out the money for it.

I also recommend Anderson's solo albums. Olias of Sunhillow is one of my favorite albums ever.

drat, I didn't realize he had so many solo albums until now. I have one of the ones he did with Vangelis but there are several. Jon seems to have adapted to a world of electronic instruments better than anybody else in the band.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
one other rando thing from the "poo poo I found in opera boxes" category but my god is this Met libretto a gorgeous work of 60s modernism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

hexwren posted:

i dunno if I'm putting across how dire things are here. like, no. around here, when you go to the thrift store, there are about five to ten records' worth of hosed-up cottage cheese people singing about jesus in the 1950s, a couple not-even-kaempfert-level easy listening discs, all run over by the sandpaper truck in the parking lot, and that's it. it takes about eight seconds to go through the available records in a given thrift store here.

i am absolutely willing to buy some wonky "playing mantovani on a hammered dulcimer" record or dumber and weirder than that. I own multiple rod mckuen albums. it's not that my standards are too high, it's that the records are gone

the thrift environment here (austin tx) is one where there are no records to even consider. the record stores are fine and I enjoy shopping in them, but that's a whole different thing
Oh. drat. That sucks.

On the Yes/Wakeman/Prog chat: I find myself beginning to appreciate progressive rock more as I cruise into middle-age. Is this normal? I feel like there should be some sort of "talk" given to those watching their youth dissolving away and finding that they're going through changes, like affinities for odd time-signatures and appreciation for architecture.

My ears feel funny.