Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Literally like one poster a day or two ago but is that going to stop me from characterizing the thread status quo as agreeing with them? gently caress no

Just one poster who multiple people agreed with and then fell back to the defense of "but they're all nazis/fascists/white supremacists!" as the convenient fallback for why it'd be good.

Edit: sorry, not just nazis. They're all all arch-conspirators who had the ear of Mike Pence just waiting to do their bidding.

Cow Bell fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Meatball posted:

Dems are really doing an own goal here. They could just kept payments frozen and don't nothing else and people would have been happy, even if he didn't do anything else on student loans. Most people knew that serious forgiveness wouldn't be likely, but capping interest, keeping the payments frozen, *something*.

But it's just "gently caress you, your payments are going to start up again". Considering how little their voter margins are, they really can't afford to piss off their voters.

Unless it's changed recently a portion of collected student loans goes to pay for the Affordable Care Act. This is part of the reason they kinda have to resume collection, because they haven't shifted resources to cover the money that student loans cover.

I imagine this could be changed via reconciliation.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Give us money. Republicans gave us money. Why are you not giving us money? Oh right, because that would play against the narrative that the country is A-okay and back on track.

...pretty sure he did. Like twice now.

Now, it isn't enough money but he did give money, more of it than the Republicans by my count.

quote:

Good job Joe, you barely managed to pass a horrible bill that does nothing for Americans and is just handouts to rich people,

Sometimes I wonder if no matter what the Democrats did their legislation would get mischaracterized as handouts for the rich. Like they actually can't, by the laws of United States and how it's economy works, just recruit Worker's Collectives to build infrastructure with no money entering the markets. Like yeah, capitalism sucks but what, they should loving reform the entire economic and legal system of the United States before doing infrastructure spending?

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 18, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cow Bell posted:

Just one poster who multiple people agreed with and then fell back to the defense of "but they're all nazis/fascists/white supremacists!" as the convenient fallback for why it'd be good.

Edit: sorry, not just nazis. They're all all arch-conspirators who had the ear of Mike Pence just waiting to do their bidding.

That's not what happened but whatever makes you feel like you're fighting the good fight against the dastardly thread consensus.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Peter Daou Zen posted:

-Stop wailing about 1/6. Americans do not care about this non event

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2021/09/28/declining-share-of-republicans-say-it-is-important-to-prosecute-jan-6-rioters/

Looks like people care.

And, again, calling a fascist attack a "non issue" is water carrying. Hope you enjoy our upcoming Reichstag fire.

Cow Bell posted:

Stop pretending their intents weren't plastered all over the internet for everyone to see.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

How are u posted:

You have absolutely no idea what's in the BBBA, do you? What lovely reductio ad absurdum.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/11/18/democrats-agonize-tax-cuts-rich-522859

quote:

Democrats are struggling with a huge problem that could sink them at the ballot box: They may end up looking more sympathetic to rich people than Republicans.

After spending several election cycles campaigning against the GOP’s tax cuts as a boon for the wealthy, House Democrats are on the verge of passing a massive tax break for high-income earners — raising a cap on local and state tax deductions that primarily affects high-cost states. Though it’s good politics for many coastal-area members to include that tax relief in President Joe Biden’s social spending and climate bill, it’s a move that Democrats say threatens to become a national liability ahead of next year’s midterms.

With Democrats already lagging behind Republicans in national polls, many in the party say anchoring themselves to this issue is the last thing they should do. Sen. Jon Tester (D-Mont.) said he’d “just as soon have it out. Not a big fan because I think it gives tax breaks to the wrong people: Rich people.”

Senior Democrats are acutely aware of the fallout that could accompany codifying the tax break, and many privately worry the issue could do as much, if not more, electoral damage than Democrats’ largely symbolic effort to reform immigration in the social spending bill. But with just a three-vote margin in the House, Democratic leaders can’t afford to lose the support of the handful of Democrats demanding the tax relief.

Still, the political messaging prospects makes Republicans almost giddy.

“It’s foolish … if you look at the amount of money they are going to give to rich people, it’s staggering,” said National Republican Senatorial Committee Chair Rick Scott (R-Fla.). “I’m going to make sure that in all of our states that everybody knows what [Democrats] are doing.

The GOP is already running on ads capitalizing on Dems' insistence on giving richies a tax cut, and that's before the bill's been further stripped of good things by the Senate, passed & signed into law.

eta:

skylined! posted:

Unless it's changed recently a portion of collected student loans goes to pay for the Affordable Care Act. This is part of the reason they kinda have to resume collection, because they haven't shifted resources to cover the money that student loans cover.

I imagine this could be changed via reconciliation.

The ads on how your student-loan debt is subsidizing private health insurers just write themselves.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 18, 2021

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1461450887520563214

So is this going to turn the mods off or no?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Decon posted:

Hope you enjoy our upcoming Reichstag fire.

Buddy, the whole world is on the brink of burning, and you're wasting your words carrying water for the party that's letting capital do an ecoterrorism because the rules say they're supposed to.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Cow Bell posted:

None of this is close to what happened and shows the lengths you are willing to lie about stuff that happened to continue trolling. There was maybe 2-3 people who pushed for harsher sentences and one weird dude who wanted them shot that multiple people pounced one.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Flopsy posted:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1461450887520563214

So is this going to turn the mods off or no?

I expect some goalpost shifting but it's better than a debt *increase*.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Willa Rogers posted:

The GOP is already running on ads capitalizing on Dems' insistence on giving richies a tax cut, and that's before the bill's been further stripped of good things by the Senate, passed & signed into law.

"GOP running ads that say Dems did bad" isn't really a reason to not do something There's no making it easy, they're going to instantly say anything dems do is the Worst Thing, and having three 24/7 news networks and social media to blast it out is what makes it easy. The reasons to not do the SALT cut already exist independent of that.

Especially LOL that Rick Scott is pretending to be aghast at a handout to rich people.

The real problem for Dems is that they watered down their agenda so hard that they don't have anything positive to campaign on, and getting your base amped up is literally the only thing that matters any more.

We're hosed.

Lib and let die posted:

Buddy, the whole world is on the brink of burning, and you're wasting your words carrying water for the party that's letting capital do an ecoterrorism because the rules say they're supposed to.

Carrying water for the people who want to accellerate the world burning isn't a great use of your time either.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 18, 2021

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Lib and let die posted:

Where? I've said they suck, and that they can and should be criticized. I haven't diminished or denied anything they've done.

All I've said about them is that their misdeeds don't justify describing the people that broke into the Capitol (some of them with intent to kill people) as "just tourists"

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

AmiYumi posted:

Fancy Pelosi was a less obvious troll than this, and they got called out on their first page.

Y’all, stop it.

At least reply to the trolls that can generate a discussion for the lurkers.

Yeah, but the mods get upset if you point out obvious trolls so you have to do this bullshit thing to interact with their dishonesty with honesty for some reason.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

Instead we should be wasting words supporting fascists because they aren't all that bad?

The Sean posted:

Yeah, but the mods get upset if you point out obvious trolls so you have to do this bullshit thing to interact with their dishonesty with honesty for some reason.

Well yeah even mentioning something like them trolling gets you probed by the_steve if your post ends up in the other thread.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Willa Rogers posted:

The type of people who listen to the GOP whining about rich people getting tax cuts are the type of people who will never, ever, ever vote Democrat.

Lib and let die posted:

What if they're related to me?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
lmao that the Dems are terminally incapable of doing things in general and the one time where they literally don't have to do anything at all to get a win, they go out of their way to do something and that something is a big middle finger to young people

it'd be comical if it weren't so goddamn depressing. gently caress it we should organize a student loan default and just blow the whole drat thing up, it's not like that isn't where we're headed already with the student debt bubble approaching $2 Trillion. For reference, the housing bubble that caused the great recession was "only" $900 Billion.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

skylined! posted:

I expect some goalpost shifting but it's better than a debt *increase*.

The tweet is talking specifically about a revenue mechanism in the bill, not the bill as a whole. Of course it's not going to be a debt increase

Jaxyon posted:

"GOP running ads that say Dems did bad" isn't really a reason to not do something There's no making it easy, they're going to instantly say anything dems do is the Worst Thing, and having three 24/7 news networks and social media to blast it out is what makes it easy. The reasons to not do the SALT cut already exist independent of that.

Especially LOL that Rick Scott is pretending to be aghast at a handout to rich people.

The real problem for Dems is that they watered down their agenda so hard that they don't have anything positive to campaign on, and getting your base amped up is literally the only thing that matters any more.

We're hosed.

Carrying water for the people who want to accellerate the world burning isn't a great use of your time either.

The SALT poo poo is worthy of discussion insofar as we see constant excuse theorycrafting here and elsewhere that Dems want to do good things but can't because gee what about the optics, what about the swing votes, what about the electoral backlash, oh man they just can't risk it. The fact that they're digging in to push through something bad that actually does let Republicans cut insincere-but-mostly-truthful promos on them should really dispel the former notion

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
"The world is on the brink of burning!" I say as I also insist that we should ally with people who don't believe in climate change at all, or if they do then certainly don't believe that we should take serious much less necessary action to mitigate it.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

How are u posted:

"The world is on the brink of burning!" I say as I also insist that we should ally with people who don't believe in climate change at all, or if they do then certainly don't believe that we should take serious much less necessary action to mitigate it.

You ally with them on things there's a common ground on. You are literally loving illiterate.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I do think if you could convince every student loan debtor that defaulting for a couple months would not only get their payments deferred again but get us all at least another 2000 check that’d be rad.

Why not let the little people crash the system for once, seems like rich people do it every 10 years or so.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Don't they just automatically take the money out of your account or garnish your wages if you don't pay?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

The type of people who listen to the GOP whining about rich people getting tax cuts are the type of people who will never, ever, ever vote Democrat.

Well, it's not going to be "The GOP" it'll be commercials from various cutouts making slick ads with titles like Small Business for a Fair America. They already have one going around. If you think that the group of people who don't like hearing about rich people getting tax cuts are all guaranteed GOP people, then...well, the Dems are hosed.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

The tweet is talking specifically about a revenue mechanism in the bill, not the bill as a whole. Of course it's not going to be a debt increase

Ah right, read too quickly; this looks like it's for the IRS funding specifically.

BBB will get a vote in the House tonight.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1461459755101270016?s=20

skylined! fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 18, 2021

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
i just crack-pinged my boomer mother when she was trying to tell me about the best ways to retire and was just super shocked when I didn't care because nobody in my generation would be able to retire and since nobody's doing anything about climate change, what's the point of retiring in a hellworld. Just never occurred to her that poo poo is really as bad as it is right now because her boomerness has insulated her from the economic and social repercussions of 40 years of GOP policy (she's a libertarian that votes for GOP exclusively except for when Ron Paul ran in 2008 for some reason, dunno why).

"Surely you're just being pessimistic, they'll figure things out"

"Ma, it was 109 for a week in Seattle. 109. 109 DEGREES. ONE HUNDRED AND NINE DEGREES."

edit: lol, this is why nothing will get better.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 18, 2021

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
The idea that we can shun or ignore America's hosed up racist prosperity gospel inconvenienced millionaire culture into insignificance is more absurd to me than the idea our system will deliver what's needed without crushing pressure from the masses.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

What if they're related to me?

What about the type of people who usually "vote Democrat" <sic> but who need to be encouraged to do so?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

HonorableTB posted:

i just crack-pinged my boomer mother when she was trying to tell me about the best ways to retire and was just super shocked when I didn't care because nobody in my generation would be able to retire and since nobody's doing anything about climate change, what's the point of retiring in a hellworld. Just never occurred to her that poo poo is really as bad as it is right now because her boomerness has insulated her from the economic and social repercussions of 40 years of GOP policy (she's a libertarian that votes for GOP exclusively except for when Ron Paul ran in 2008 for some reason, dunno why).

"Surely you're just being pessimistic, they'll figure things out"

"Ma, it was 109 for a week in Seattle. 109. 109 DEGREES. ONE HUNDRED AND NINE DEGREES."

edit: lol, this is why nothing will get better.

It's this: most of them don't give a poo poo because they will die soon, and they hate you anyway because "Jesus didn't come back and the world changed without them, so you millenials and Zoomers can just die, because you made the world way more sinful"

This is like verbatim a conversation I had with an older person this year

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

The ads on how your student-loan debt is subsidizing private health insurers just write themselves.

Outflanked on the left by Republicans!

What you are actually going to get from Republicans is prosperity gospel about how helping people is bad and wasteful.

Kraftwerk posted:

Don't they just automatically take the money out of your account or garnish your wages if you don't pay?

Yes. I guess in the theoretical world where everyone simultaneously agrees that debt is an illusion and money isn't real, it remains to be seen if there is enough infrastructure to set out on garnishing wages on that scale--as in there's just not enough people working in the office to enforce everything. But in any real world scenario where we're seriously talking about no one paying their debts, we're actually talking about imminent economic collapse along the lines of third world countries.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

The SALT poo poo is worthy of discussion insofar as we see constant excuse theorycrafting here and elsewhere that Dems want to do good things but can't because gee what about the optics, what about the swing votes, what about the electoral backlash, oh man they just can't risk it. The fact that they're digging in to push through something bad that actually does let Republicans cut insincere-but-mostly-truthful promos on them should really dispel the former notion

Who here thinks that Dems want to do good things but can't because optics?

Just about everybody in this thread is angry about dems. People disagree on the specifics of how they suck and how they might suck less. Republicans cutting promos doesn't matter because Repulicans are literally running on an alternate history fantasy at this point and truth doesn't matter at all.

Lib and let die posted:

You ally with them on things there's a common ground on. You are literally loving illiterate.

What common ground do you have with fascists, that doesn't require you accepting some of their fascism?

You're vastly better off engaging with people who don't vote and/or aren't active fascists, which is a much larger group.

"Scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds, but scratch a fascist and actually it's a leftist under there the whole time!"

selec
Sep 6, 2003

There is an enormous opportunity for one party to go full GET hosed RICH PEOPLE and get like alllll the votes, because there is a wealth of stuff you can make fun of rich people for. They are so loving dumb and because people want their money nobody calls them out. Aaron Rodgers is dumb, and his girlfriend promotes eating clay. Go to town! Talk about how if you are not dumb enough to eat clay, you’re smarter than a millionaire: so who let these idiots be in charge?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The Guardian has, uh, endorsed blowing up fossil fuel infrastructure. You love to see it

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/nov/18/moral-case-destroying-fossil-fuel-infrastructure

The Guardian posted:

The climate struggle has entered a new phase. It is marked by a search for different tactics: something that cannot be so easily ignored, a mode of action that disrupts business-as-usual for real, some way to pull the emergency brake. This search has only just begun, but the signs are there.

In Berlin, half a dozen young climate activists calling themselves The Last Generation recently went on a hunger strike, eventually refusing liquids and becoming quite frail before calling the action off. But there are other things than our own bodies that can be shut down. In conjunction with this summers Ende Gelnde camp against fossil gas, a group calling itself Fridays for sabotage claimed responsibility for rupturing a piece of gas infrastructure and urged the movement to embrace this tactic: There are many places of destruction, but just as many places of possible resistance. This followed the development of a veritable archipelago of forest occupations in Germany, some of which have damaged equipment for coal extraction.

To stay in the global north, the long and bitter struggles of Indigenous peoples against never-ending new pipeline projects in Canada and the US have spawned some desperate militancy: trains carrying crude oil have been derailed by activists mimicking the signal of emergency brakes.

Fossil capital should take notice. New forms of resistance are coming.

Parts of the earth are becoming unliveable. Facts like that, however, are in no real need of repetition. By now everyone knows, at some level of their consciousness, what is at stake. And still our governments allow fossil fuel companies to expand their installations for taking oil and gas and coal out of the ground. They cannot even bring themselves to stop showering such companies with trillions of dollars of subsidies.

One doesnt need to look at rogue denialists like Bolsonaro or Trump or, for that matter, the far-right government of Modi, which presides over a transition to ever-more fossil fuels: any well-mannered state will do.

Take France, whose president poses as the most enlightened climate diplomat. The largest private company headquartered in that nation, Total, will this year commence construction of the East Africa Crude Oil Pipeline, slated to be the longest in the world, cross 230 rivers, bisect 12 forest reserves and drive 100,000 people from their land: all to carry even more crude oil to the world-economy for burning. Macron backs the pipeline as an amazing opportunity to increase French economic presence in the region.

Or take the US, where Biden is surpassing his predecessor in generosity to fossil fuel companies, showering them with drilling licenses at a pace not seen since George W Bush. Two dozen fossil fuel projects new pipelines, new gas terminals underway in that country would alone cause emissions equal to 404 coal-fired power-plants.

As for the UK government, it remains committed to maximising economic recovery of oil and gas in the North Sea pumping out as much of it as possible, that is. Germany expands its autobahn and coal mines. ExxonMobil barrels on with a high-risk off-shore drilling project in a very delicate marine ecosystem in Guyana. Between 2020 and 2022, Shell will have put 21 new major oil and gas projects online.

Overall, the production of fossil fuels needs to be brought down to zero as fast as humanely possible, but in the real world, producers are planning to increase extraction as if there is no tomorrow. One recent paper shows that the bulk of all known reserves must be left in the ground for there to be at least a slim chance of avoiding more than 1.5C degrees of warming; to be more exact, by 2050, some 90% of all the coal would have to remain untouched, 60% of the oil, 60% of the gas, 99% of the unconventional oil.

But these are, the researchers stress, likely to be underestimates, since the modelling is based on a 50% chance of meeting the 1.5C degrees target and does not include feedback mechanisms. If the chance is raised to 70 or 80% and the recursive loops of a climate system breakdown notably forest fires were accounted for, even more would have to stay underground: nearly all fossil fuels, starting about tomorrow. By its very nature, fossil capital cannot countenance such a limit. Compulsively, uninhibitedly, it instead digs around for more and more to extract and then some more.

For every day that passes, this conclusion receives further confirmation: the ruling classes of this world are constitutionally incapable of responding to the catastrophe in any other way than by expediting it. Unfortunately, COP26 did not produce any compelling reasons to revise that conclusion. Less than a week after the end of the summit, the Biden administration held the largest federal offshore drilling auction in US history.

There is little to suggest that any other government signing the Glasgow Pact will behave differently.

So what do we do?

We could destroy the machines that destroy this planet. If someone has planted a time bomb in your home, you are entitled to dismantle it. More to the point, if someone has placed an incendiary device inside the high-rise building where you live, and if the foundations are already on fire and people are dying in the cellars, then many would believe that you have an obligation to put the device out of action.

This is the moral case which, I would argue, justifies destroying fossil fuel property. That is completely separate from harming human bodies, for which there is no moral case.

And this particular moral case for direct action is, I believe, overwhelmingly strong, if the realities of the climate catastrophe are recognised. On that premise, how could the physical integrity of fossil fuel property possibly be given precedence? Boris Johnson recently made what might generously be interpreted as an attempt to do so, when he defended the Cambo oilfield, one in the endless series of fresh investments in fossil fuel infrastructure of the kind we just cant live with: we cant just tear up contracts, he said.

In this view, a contract with an entrepreneur for augmenting the device sending the flames ever higher must be honoured. It takes priority over any other concern. Just why it should have that sanctity, however, seems to me exceedingly difficult to tell.

In the meantime, we can observe that slowing down the climate catastrophe means, by definition, the destruction of fossil capital: there can be no more profiting from fossil fuels. And if governments are incapable of initiating this work, because they take their orders from the top floors, then others should do so. Not because activists can accomplish the abolition of fossil fuels only states have that potential but because their role is to ratchet up the pressure for it.

So could the climate movement in the global north achieve its goals by sending cadres or crowds to actually tear machines apart? An unassailable ethical imperative does not necessarily translate into efficacious action. We have received this lesson from the highways of the UK, where the main achievement of Insulate Britain has been rising fury from working-class people on the way to their jobs.

We are deep into the catastrophe; the hour is late, but the escalation has only just begun. We dont know what exactly will work. The one thing we can be certain of is this: we are in a death spiral, we have to break out of it, and we must try something more. The days of gentle protest may be long over.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

Like two weeks ago multiple posters ITT spent all day inventing an elaborate case that student loan forgiveness isn't going anywhere because it would be an electoral disaster for Democrats and other people chimed in with "ahh hmm yes, I have my own anecdotes that support this idea, the Democrats are wise to avoid this tricksy snare"

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

socialsecurity posted:

Some thread/forum banned people were invited back to stir the same poo poo they used too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mods now just flip flop between telling people just to ignore people making GBS threads all over the floor, or tell us to report them. Problem with reporting anyone is mods lack object permanence. So I guess we just have to deal with assholes making GBS threads up the thread all the time now.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 19, 2021

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

HonorableTB posted:

The Guardian has, uh, endorsed blowing up fossil fuel infrastructure. You love to see it

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/nov/18/moral-case-destroying-fossil-fuel-infrastructure

Oh, you meant literally. Holy poo poo.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lib and let die posted:

You seem to be the one who can't read in this thread, because multiple posters have told you that you can't actually reach out to fascists whose main goal is to hurt an outgroup, over even benefits to themselves (and there is loving polling data that supports this), and all you have done is go "LALALA LIBS BAD WE NEED TO REACH OUT ON COMMON ISSUES" with your eyes closed and your fingers in your ears. For pages and pages

Like you gotta break the indoctrination first, and yeah legalizing marijuana/ revamping healthcare/ ending student debt are all things that liberals and leftists want, and hell maybe some Republicans, but the hardcore want more laws to punish the brown people and poors for being so, and increading your own base through actions is way loving easier than convincing ethnostaters "hey what if we give you national healthcare but brown people don't get it?" :shepface:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 19, 2021

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HonorableTB posted:

while that's an opinion article and I'm unclear on how tightly the guardian regulates those, it's definitely a thing

selec
Sep 6, 2003

HonorableTB posted:

Somebody had to break the dam. We aren’t voting our way out of this, so we need to learn to talk in ways, and normalize talking about, taking political action that has meaningful effects. You only have one vote, but one good icepick can cripple an entire corporate fleet for a day in an hour or two of work.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Just about everybody in this thread is angry about dems. People disagree on the specifics of how they suck and how they might suck less. Republicans cutting promos doesn't matter because Repulicans are literally running on an alternate history fantasy at this point and truth doesn't matter at all.

What common ground do you have with fascists, that doesn't require you accepting some of their fascism?

You're vastly better off engaging with people who don't vote and/or aren't active fascists, which is a much larger group.

"Scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds, but scratch a fascist and actually it's a leftist under there the whole time!"

Literally cannot read. If you haven't read my posts today up to this point, why would I waste my time to type it all up again? I've provided examples of issues where Trump voter and left 'voter' interests overlap, provided a diagram, and you're still questioning.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Outflanked on the left by Republicans!

What you are actually going to get from Republicans is prosperity gospel about how helping people is bad and wasteful.

See, this is that ventriloquizing I mentioned upthread, when a cartoonish take of one's enemy is so strong, whether due to echo chambers or self-soothing, that it stamps out common sense & reason because of its overly reductive take.

Even if every last among tens of millions GOP voters staunchly believed in prosperity gospel (which of course they actually don't), then why would hypocrisy be a concern if it helped the GOP win elections?

If one is concerned about Dems retaining the presidency, and adding to their Congressional majorities, I believe that it'd be useful to look at how the opposition's messaging is eased or hindered by the Dems' legislative actions & rhetoric.

The GOP (and affiliated groups) are already running the ads against Dems up for reelection next year; you'd better let them know that the ads will be counterproductive, because I'm sure they didn't field-test their messaging before the ad buys.

vvv If you've got a problem with a particular point I've made, please either quote it or report it rather than continuing this sort of generalized hostile aggression you follow me around with that has nothing to do with what I've actually posted. Thanks!

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

See, this is that ventriloquizing I mentioned upthread, when a cartoonish take of one's enemy is so strong, whether due to echo chambers or self-soothing, that it stamps out common sense & reason because of its overly reductive take.

Even if every last among tens of millions GOP voters staunchly believed in prosperity gospel (which of course they actually don't), then why would hypocrisy be a concern if it helped the GOP win elections?

If one is concerned about Dems retaining the presidency, and adding to their Congressional majorities, I believe that it'd be useful to look at how the opposition's messaging is eased or hindered by the Dems' legislative actions & rhetoric.

The GOP (and affiliated groups) are already running the ads against Dems up for reelection next year; you'd better let them know that the ads will be counterproductive, because I'm sure they didn't field-test their messaging before the ad buys.

And yet half of what you post is doing the same thing with liberals? I don't get why we need to find common ground with fascists but tying to find common grounds with parts of the Democratic party makes you a monster because all ds.ate the same and if you try to day they aren't a monolith you get brigaded.