Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Like two weeks ago multiple posters ITT spent all day inventing an elaborate case that student loan forgiveness isn't going anywhere because it would be an electoral disaster for Democrats and other people chimed in with "ahh hmm yes, I have my own anecdotes that support this idea, the Democrats are wise to avoid this tricksy snare"

That might have happened or it might not, but so many people spend times exaggerating arguments they remember so that they can make arguments about "this thread" that I don't believe you.

Lib and let die posted:

Literally cannot read. If you haven't read my posts today up to this point, why would I waste my time to type it all up again? I've provided examples of issues where Trump voter and left 'voter' interests overlap, provided a diagram, and you're still questioning.

I must be illiterate then because that chart looks like it said "libertarians" not "fascists".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

skylined! posted:

Ah right, read too quickly; this looks like it's for the IRS funding specifically.

BBB will get a vote in the House tonight.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1461459755101270016?s=20

The Guardian has real-time updates.

quote:

The Congressional Budget Office is estimating that enacting Biden’s Build Back Better plan would result in a net increase in the deficit totaling $367b from 2022-2031 period.

That is not counting any additional revenue generated by increased tax enforcement.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Doctor Butts posted:

Mods now just flip flop between telling people just to ignore people making GBS threads all over the floor, or tell us to report them. Problem with reporting anyone is mods lack object permanence. So I guess we just have to deal with assholes making GBS threads up the thread all the time now.

You appear to be confused, so here's a handy primer:
That thing you're quote-replying to? That's a post.
Posts aren't what happen if one ignores an alleged troll or uses the Report button. :eng101:

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

socialsecurity posted:

And yet half of what you post is doing the same thing with liberals? I don't get why we need to find common ground with fascists but tying to find common grounds with parts of the Democratic party makes you a monster because all ds.ate the same and if you try to day they aren't a monolith you get brigaded.

Could you clarify any of this? I don't really understand what it's saying. I mainly lurk, and it really messed up the flow of what i'm reading here. Are you saying we shouldn't support the majority of the Democrats, and their leadership, whom seemingly work hardest to find common ground with fascists?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
lol @ a forum where you get probated for pointing out someone is trolling (especially if it's a friend of a mod)

perhaps the mods mshould talk among themselves about this and change that dumbass rule

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

350 billion over ten years WITHOUT tax enforcement? No wonder Pelosi's pushing the vote. 35 billion a year isn't even a drop in the bucket, its like the wetness on the inside of the dropped once you put in the last drop.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

350 billion over ten years WITHOUT tax enforcement? No wonder Pelosi's pushing the vote. 35 billion a year isn't even a drop in the bucket, its like the wetness on the inside of the dropped once you put in the last drop.

Ya, Yellen is even confident it will entirely pay for itself in its current iteration.

Add back in the good poo poo that was stripped, damnt.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Sanguinia posted:

That's the deficit impact, not the cost.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lol @ a forum where you get probated for pointing out someone is trolling (especially if it's a friend of a mod)

perhaps the mods mshould talk among themselves about this and change that dumbass rule

whooooah that sounds like posting about posters which is the one sure way to get probated

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

the_steve posted:

Posts aren't what happen if one ignores an alleged troll or uses the Report button. :eng101:

Maybe it's because "posting about posters" seems to be enforced very randomly and only against people you seem to personally disagree with, like why is this

socialsecurity posted:

Some thread/forum banned people were invited back to stir the same poo poo they used too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
and this

AmiYumi posted:

Fancy Pelosi was a less obvious troll than this, and they got called out on their first page.

Y’all, stop it.

At least reply to the trolls that can generate a discussion for the lurkers.

posting about posters but this

Lib and let die posted:

You ally with them on things there's a common ground on. You are literally loving illiterate.

gets ignored, you even probed a post right near this one so it's not a "I didn't see it" thing. Can we get clarification is it the personal insults that are allowed as long as you don't use the word troll?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

Maybe it's because "posting about posters" seems to be enforced very randomly and only against people you seem to personally disagree with, like why is this

and this

posting about posters but this

gets ignored, you even probed a post right near this one so it's not a "I didn't see it" thing. Can we get clarification is it the personal insults that are allowed as long as you don't use the word troll?

CGIR likes to wait a day or so until the discussion has moved on to hit me with a longer probe than a 6er. Don't worry, I'll get mine.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Inventing people to get mad at for not being punished enough.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Jaxyon posted:

I'm saying you're not quoting them because that's not a common argument here and there aren't posters you can quote saying that except for maybe one person.

I don't doubt that is what you think people are saying, and I don't doubt there's 1 person in the thread saying it.

But that doesn't really make it a relevant argument.

It seems like you're one of the very people saying the entire right is so fascist, racist, and irredeemable that to engage with them on anything as individuals is folly or perhaps even unethical. In fact you keep saying it while arguing with people who advocate policies and rhetoric that capture labor.

quote:

What common ground do you have with fascists, that doesn't require you accepting some of their fascism?

quote:

I must be illiterate then because that chart looks like it said "libertarians" not "fascists".

Are people in here horny for fascist votes, or were we talking about half the electorate?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

the_steve posted:

gently caress you and die. I can't ignore your dumb rear end.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Peter Daou Zen posted:

God , if only Russia hadn’t bought those Facebook ads , Hillary would have won . .

What’s next , a post about how Jill Stein is a “Russian asset”?

It’s debatable. Pretty close election in the key states.

Jill Stein is a narcissist, so maybe “useful idiot?”

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

That might have happened or it might not, but so many people spend times exaggerating arguments they remember so that they can make arguments about "this thread" that I don't believe you.

Weird that I never ascribed it to "this thread" but you chose to read it that way to make it about your own weird bugbear. I didn't say it was a prevailing or even popular opinion either. It did happen whether or not you believe it though :shrug:

Pretty loving rich of you to whine about it considering your own tenure as IK lol

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

BRJohnson posted:

Are people in here horny for fascist votes, or were we talking about half the electorate?

Remember that half of the electorate is like 25% of the entire population.

So yeah, I would comfortably say that 25% of the US is fascist or fascist-friendly. I think this tracks with history pretty well.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Baronash posted:

Yo, I just want to make sure we both went through the same summer of 2020 and you didn't accidentally cross over from an alternate universe?

Not only do I remember the summer of 2020, I also remember the J20 protests, where protesters gathered for the purpose of disrupting and shutting down the inauguration.

Hundreds of people were arrested, and nearly two hundred were charged with "rioting", "incitement to riot", "conspiracy to riot", property destruction, and assault on police officers, a list of charges that could have equaled decades in prison. Prosecutors didn't have evidence that the individual defendants had personally engaged in any of those activities, but argued that it didn't matter what the defendants had done - they argued that just being present at the protests was sufficient guilt. Sounds not too different from the arguments folks are making here.

Of course, that's some absolute bullshit as a legal theory right there, which is why every defendant who fought the case was acquitted, and the prosecutors eventually chose to drop the remaining charges rather than face even more defeats in the courtroom.

And I feel the exact same way about the 1/6 poo poo. There's plenty of people who verifiably engaged in actual violence and brutality or had clear plans and preparations to do so. Send them to prison to decades, rather than trying to set a precedent that mere involvement in a riot is sufficient evidence to blame everyone involved for everything the riot did.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

In actual loving Current event news, it seems like the BBB is a go for reconciliation if Pelosi is pushing a vote tonight.

Any news from the Progressive Caucus on their stance on this?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

BRJohnson posted:

It seems like you're one of the very people saying the entire right is so fascist, racist, and irredeemable that to engage with them on anything as individuals is folly or perhaps even unethical. In fact you keep saying it while arguing with people who advocate policies and rhetoric that capture labor.

I'm not though, but you'd have to read back a few pages to capture the full discussion.

1. I don't think all of the right is fascists.
2. I don't think racism is genetic or unaddressable.
3. I do think that the 1/6 insurrection was an attempted coup, in a beer hall putsch sense.
4. I do not think the Dems are doing well or taking the danger seriously.
5. I do not think anyone is irredeemable.

My argument is that several people are under-estimating the work needed to address the racism that is deeply entrenched in the right, and a lot of this comes off as naïve theorizing about how easily bamboozled conservatives are, and a belief that one need merely address class and then racism will be solved.

We would have a better chance at convincing almost any group in America that isn't a self-identified conservative, and that's probably where we should start. Going after a group that contains more fascists than any other is pretty low percentage.

Weird that I never ascribed it to "this thread" but you chose to read it that way to make it about your own weird bugbear. I didn't say it was a prevailing or even popular opinion either. It did happen whether or not you believe it though :shrug:

Oh?

we see constant excuse theorycrafting here and elsewhere

Like two weeks ago multiple posters ITT spent all day

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 19, 2021

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
They're holding the BBB vote because they know Manchin and Sinema will kill it in the Senate, but this lets them tell the progressives "hey we agreed to bring it to a vote but we never said poo poo about the senate, now leave us alone"

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

In actual loving Current event news, it seems like the BBB is a go for reconciliation if Pelosi is pushing a vote tonight.

Any news from the Progressive Caucus on their stance on this?

She's bringing it to the floor so it's assumed they're all whipped in line. Take what you can get I guess.

HonorableTB posted:

They're holding the BBB vote because they know Manchin and Sinema will kill it in the Senate, but this lets them tell the progressives "hey we agreed to bring it to a vote but we never said poo poo about the senate, now leave us alone"

I think the struggle at this point will be over paid leave - Manchin says no, Sinema said yesterday she wants it in. I think ultimately Manchin wins and they both fall in line.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

Passing it in the House allows them to go on (another) week-long break. It's been hard work being back this week!

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

"Posters ITT" isn't the same thing as "the thread thinks" even if you really want it to be

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Willa Rogers posted:

Passing it in the House allows them to go on (another) week-long break. It's been hard work being back this week!

This bill might add $16b a year to the deficit! It's very concerning! We can't afford that sort of profligacy unless it's going to bullets!

"Posters ITT" isn't the same thing as "the thread thinks" even if you really want it to be

The point is you're arguing against some sort of vague group of people instead of quoting actual posts and arguments.

That gives you the freedom to exaggerate those arguments and engage with less nuance.

Easy solution is to just quote the arguments you disagree with.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

ooh, i know, we should open a feedback thread. that might help

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Jaxyon posted:

1. I don't think all of the right is fascists.
2. I don't think racism is genetic or unaddressable.
3. I do think that the 1/6 insurrection was an attempted coup, in a beer hall putsch sense.
4. I do not think the Dems are doing well or taking the danger seriously.
5. I do not think anyone is irredeemable.

My argument is that several people are under-estimating the work needed to address the racism that is deeply entrenched in the right, and a lot of this comes off as naïve theorizing about how easily bamboozled conservatives are, and a belief that one need merely address class and then racism will be solved.

I totally agree.

quote:

We would have a better chance at convincing almost any group in America that isn't a self-identified conservative, and that's probably where we should start. Going after a group that contains more fascists than any other is pretty low percentage.

Oh?
Yes that makes sense from an organizing PoV (as opposed to individual encounters).

Edit oops

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
drat I have a heavily trolled thread to deal with here. oh well, i know what will fix it

let's probate people who call out trolls!

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

The only reason I think Manchin won't kill it is the SALT provision. It's just lovely enough he'll want that passed somehow.

drat I have a heavily trolled thread to deal with here. oh well, i know what will fix it

Posting about posters!? Oh! Jail! Jail for Herstory Begins Now for a thousand years!

B B
Dec 1, 2005

you should go post a :siren: QCS EMERGENCY :siren: thread about it

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

The Guardian has, uh, endorsed blowing up fossil fuel infrastructure. You love to see it

There are also two reviews of a book on blowing up fossil fuel infrastructure in the most recent lrb:

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v43/n22/adam-tooze/ecological-leninism
https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v43/n22/james-butler/a-coal-mine-for-every-wildfire

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

If only there was some sort of button you could push to Report people you thought were trolls. :thunk:

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

There was also something where the NYT had somebody talk positively about a radical book. I think it was on one of their podcasts, but google's too clogged with general NYT fossil fuel stories to tell me. Interesting turn.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

the_steve posted:

If only there was some sort of button you could push to Report people you thought were trolls. :thunk:

i mean yall probing people for backseat modding while the front mod seat is empty

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

the_steve posted:

you are the Tesla autopilot of this thread and I thank you for your service

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

you are the Tesla autopilot of this thread and I thank you for your service

not seeing liberals in the camera eye before running them down at 50 miles an hour and then hitting a wall and exploding in a lithium fire; this tracks

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

move thread to qcs, let smythe hand out judgements

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

move thread to qcs, let smythe hand out judgements

It's a chat thread with it's own culture that doesn't fit in with the rest of D&D, a sub focused on effort posts and making fact based evidence supported arguments. Move it to CCCC.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
D&D mods are like the Democrats: they don't do loving poo poo, when they do do something it's terrible and half-assed, and when they're eventually replaced it's always by someone infinitely worse :haw:

E: Not Greyjoy though, he's cool.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

the_steve posted:

Why would anyone follow this advice, given the fact that an admitted troll was allowed to remain in the thread even though the mods opened a poll and that poll overwhelmingly voted to ban them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

There was also something where the NYT had somebody talk positively about a radical book. I think it was on one of their podcasts, but google's too clogged with general NYT fossil fuel stories to tell me. Interesting turn.

I think everyone should read Kim Stanley Robinson's "Ministry for the Future". That book starts with a heat wave supercharged by climate change in the near future (like 2035) that kills something like 40 million Indians and it goes from there. Strongly featured is ecoterrorism to push the West into actually doing something about climate change and funnily enough nothing substantial happens until the UN's Ministry for the Future orders their black ops wing to assassinate fossil fuel executives and billionaires by blowing up their planes simultaneously because they were going to keep humanity locked onto fossil fuels. Obama said it was one of his favorite books of 2020 which is hilarious given he was more or less directly called out in that book for pursuing ineffectual and weak half-measures based on neoliberalism