Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

snorch posted:

:thejoke:

He's laying on the xenophobia real thick, is that his usual tune?

He's the minority leader of the House GOP and he's from the central valley in CA.

Whining about taxes, deficits, and invading hordes of brown people is literally his entire job description. He's also an incredibly stupid man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Greenwald and his ilk are just the New Athiests 2.0

Brains completely destroyed by a cultural event completely beyond them that annihilates their viewer base (9/11 then, Trump now) so they desperately try to triangulate to seem hip and relevant, but in the end they have no audience because their brand doesn't allow them to embrace total fascism now so they just meekly whine about drag queens and protesters as history erases them in favor of actual lunatics like the Qanon shaman and Alex Jones

The guy is competing with earholes and eyeballs with Tim Pool now lmao, pathetic

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Here's a live stream if you want to watch mccarthy poo poo out of his mouth.

https://live.house.gov/

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

HonorableTB posted:

The Guardian has, uh, endorsed blowing up fossil fuel infrastructure. You love to see it

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/nov/18/moral-case-destroying-fossil-fuel-infrastructure

Continuing with the status quo with regards to climate action is going to radically change human civilization within decades (which is a euphemism for "millions of people will die and tens of millions of people will become refugees"). People who are comfortable with the status quo don't change the system unless something happens to make them reconsider. They're not going to become uncomfortable with the status quo until enough pressure is put on to make them uncomfortable. Peaceful sit-ins in front of a few offices are not going to be enough pressure. Looking at it from that perspective, it's a logical conclusion to reach.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
McCarthy currently arguing that they need to defeat the bill because the child tax credit will keep teenagers out of the work force and destroy businesses that rely on entry-level workers who are already hurting from a labor shortage.

Not sure if he really thinks that the child tax credit goes to paying children or if he is just running out of material after an hour.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

skylined! posted:

3 minutes in and he's just being a whiny shithead.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Abner Assington posted:

I mean I don't disagree with you, but I don't think kids learn about Jimmy Hoffa?

All I knew about Jimmy Hoffa as a kid was that he was the punchline to a lot of standup jokes that I didn't get.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I always heard he might be buried in the meadowlands. That’s like, a Northeast urban fairy tale.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

TulliusCicero posted:

Bu it makes the economy seem stronger! :shepface:

Just call for a General Strike and everyone defaults on them: what are they going to do: sue everyone?

Defaulting on student loan debt becomes a criminal offense, a felony even. Debtor's prisons become more of a thing. And you have millions of left-leaning people who are not only instantly disenfranchised but also condemned to convict lease-style prison work or wage slavery. Any recession or depression triggered by a massive student loan default gets hanged on debtors' shoulders.

The face of a man who spends his evenings surrounded by empty whiskey bottles.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

CBS is interviewing a panel of Trump voters for their assessments on Biden's legislative agenda.

It's not looking good for him.

They are concerned about paying people to not work causing inflation, too many drugs being let into the country through the border because border patrol has its hands tied, gas prices rising because American oil production has been stopped, the deficit is too high, they are scared vaccine mandates for kids are coming, and worried that giving healthcare to states that decided not to expand Medicaid is interfering with states rights and giving people another reason to not want to go back to work.

One person is happy that we are finally beating China on infrastructure.

Edit: It was ABC, not CBS.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 19, 2021

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

CBS is interviewing a panel of Trump voters for their assessments on Biden's legislative agenda.

They are concerned about paying people to not work causing inflation, too many drugs being let into the country through the border because border patrol has its hands tied, gas prices rising because American oil production has been stopped, the deficit is too high, they are scared vaccine mandates for kids are coming, and worried that giving healthcare to states that decided not to expand Medicaid is interfering with states rights and giving people another reason to not want to go back to work.

Would they ever be happy unless we built a border wall out of the bodies of migrant children?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

They are concerned about paying people to not work causing inflation, too many drugs being let into the country through the border because border patrol has its hands tied, gas prices rising because American oil production has been stopped, the deficit is too high, they are scared vaccine mandates for kids are coming, and worried that giving expanding healthcare to states that decided not to expand Medicaid is interfering with states rights and giving people another reason to not want to go back to work.

Who gives a gently caress

Most of them on that panel probably believe Trump will be reinstalled as God-Emperor any day now

I'm so sick of hearing what Trump supporters think: I had to hear it for 5+ loving years, you ran the country into the ground, now shut the gently caress up already :fuckoff:

And I can just guess the demographic makeup of that panel

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Got a link for that focus group, Leon?

Sounds like a Frank Luntz special.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

Got a link for that focus group, Leon?

Sounds like a Frank Luntz special.

It's not Frank Luntz. I didn't recognize the guy hosting it, but it was on ABC about 5 minutes ago. It will probably be on their video section soon.

They also read comments from Biden voters that disapproved of Biden on the economy, but didn't do a focus group.

The Biden voter segment looks like it was a video version of this article for the nightly news:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/amid-economic-woes-biden-voters-economy-faltering-speak/story?id=81207785

I just thought it was funny that we are still doing focus groups of Trump voters.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Yeah, I was going to ask if there was a parallel panel for Biden voters; thanks for the link.

Just lol if the House kills BBB bc of the SALT deduction for richies:

quote:

Democratic Rep. Jared Golden of Maine announced ahead of the final House vote that he would vote against the bill, citing the tax provision.

"Many of my colleagues argue this major line item is worth accepting to pass the rest of the bill," Golden said in a statement to the Bangor Daily News. "I disagree: the SALT giveaway in the Build Back Better Act is larger than the child care, pre-K, healthcare or senior care provisions of the bill." Golden did not rule out voting for the final package in the future.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Is that Big Beautiful Bill passed yet?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

Yeah, I was going to ask if there was a parallel panel for Biden voters; thanks for the link.

Just lol if the House kills BBB bc of the SALT deduction for richies:

Golden was also the only Dem to vote against the stimulus bill because he thought the stimulus checks were fiscally irresponsible and the aid to state governments didn't have enough strings attached. He's a weird blue dog.

The Senate is going to implement their version of SALT (the Menendez-Sanders compromise) and that might actually cause a problem when they send it back to the House if the 12 SALT Dems are upset about it.

The House version is ridiculously stupid. It caps the deduction at 80k with no income limit.

The Senate version has no deduction benefit cap, but caps the deduction to only people who made less than $400k and is about half the size of the House version.

I kind of wish they had a focus group for the Biden voters who disapproved of his handling of the economy instead of the Trump voters. The article version is pretty brutal, but it and the video version were just 1 or 2 sentence responses and I would have been interested to see them elaborate or follow up.

Or if they had any of the 40% approval economy people on to ask them why they approved. The Trump voter focus group just seemed pointless. But, if you are going to only ask the people who disapproved, then the Biden voters who disapprove would be more interesting.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 19, 2021

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

See, this is that ventriloquizing I mentioned upthread, when a cartoonish take of one's enemy is so strong, whether due to echo chambers or self-soothing, that it stamps out common sense & reason because of its overly reductive take.

Even if every last among tens of millions GOP voters staunchly believed in prosperity gospel (which of course they actually don't), then why would hypocrisy be a concern if it helped the GOP win elections?

If one is concerned about Dems retaining the presidency, and adding to their Congressional majorities, I believe that it'd be useful to look at how the opposition's messaging is eased or hindered by the Dems' legislative actions & rhetoric.

The GOP (and affiliated groups) are already running the ads against Dems up for reelection next year; you'd better let them know that the ads will be counterproductive, because I'm sure they didn't field-test their messaging before the ad buys.

vvv If you've got a problem with a particular point I've made, please either quote it or report it rather than continuing this sort of generalized hostile aggression you follow me around with that has nothing to do with what I've actually posted. Thanks!

Because they don't outflank from the left, you're just fantasizing that they will, a weird D&Dism that has gone on for years now. The very evening you made this bold prediction, McCarthy got up and told everyone the child tax credit was bad, actually, because somehow teenagers will become welfare babies instead of knowing the glory of earning their place.

The Republican Party isn't going to suddenly align itself against its own historical positions because the Democrats are too moderate/conservative. They will push for more conservatism.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

David Brooks just made me nauseous again.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/18/opinion/biden-infrastructure-stimulus-bill.html

quote:

If presidencies were judged by short-term popularity, the Biden effort would look pretty bad. But that’s a terrible measure. First-term presidents almost always see their party get hammered in the midterm after their inauguration. That’s especially true if the president achieved big things. Michigan State political scientist Matt Grossmann looked at House popular vote trends since 1953. Often when presidents succeeded in passing major legislation — Republicans as well as Democrats — voters swung against the president’s party. Look, just to take a recent example, at how Obamacare preceded a Democratic shellacking in 2010. People distrust change. Success mobilizes opposition. It’s often only in retrospect that these policies become popular and even sacred.

Presidents are judged by history, not the distraction and exhaustion of the moment. Did the person in the Oval Office address the core problem of the moment? The Biden administration passes that test. Sure, there have been failures — the shameful Afghanistan withdrawal, failing to renounce the excesses of the cultural left. But this administration will be judged by whether it reduced inequality, spread opportunity, created the material basis for greater national unity.

It is doing that.

My fear is not that Democrats lose the midterms — it will have totally been worth it. My fear is that Democrats in Congress will make fantastic policies like the expanded Child Tax Credit temporary to make budget numbers look good. If they do that the coming Republican majorities will simply let these policies expire.

If that happens then all this will have been in vain. The Democrats will have squandered what has truly been a set of historic accomplishments. Voters may judge Democrats harshly next November, but if they act with strength history will judge them well.

I can't tell if I should be pleasantly surprised that Brooks isn't parroting Reaganomics nonsense or unpleasantly surprised since pleasing people like him is a sign of political disaster.

Why do I do this to myself? I should stay away when I see his picture.

I kind of wish they had a focus group for the Biden voters who disapproved of his handling of the economy instead of the Trump voters. The article version is pretty brutal, but it and the video version were just 1 or 2 sentence responses and I would have been interested to see them elaborate or follow up.

There's enough fuel in that article you shared to blame everyone and not just the centrists. Sounds like a lot of voters would have loved for the bipartisan deal to have passed ASAP, so it does look like the CPC are going to be easy fall guys.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 19, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1461541239371698177

Kind of surprised that Cotton thinks this is a good PR move. The only other time it happened it was massively unpopular.

The White House already said they won't do a full boycott, but might do a "diplomatic boycott" where no politicians attend.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Kind of surprised that Cotton thinks this is a good PR move. The only other time it happened it was massively unpopular.

The White House already said they won't do a full boycott, but might do a "diplomatic boycott" where no politicians attend.

I knew people on the 1980 Olympic Team. It sucked.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

skylined! posted:

i clicked in just in time to hear him scream "YOU'RE SPENDING SO! MUCH! MONEY!"

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

The GOP wants a Carter repeat, so it would make sense to encourage this.

If Biden put solar panels on the roof of the White House, I bet a bunch of GOP people would have trouble containing their hard-ons.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

Trump supporters think

They don't think. That's the problem. All they have is hate and made up grievances to justify that previously held hate.

The press only exists to generate advertising revenue, not inform. Every time they pull this poo poo, it's just to generate clicks.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Eric Cantonese posted:

The GOP wants a Carter repeat, so it would make sense to encourage this.

If Biden put solar panels on the roof of the White House, I bet a bunch of GOP people would have trouble containing their hard-ons.

There was an interesting scene in the movie vice about Dick cheney, where Bill Clinton or Carter had put in hot water Sun absorbers and they were immediately taken out as soon as the Republicans went in.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

There was an interesting scene in the movie vice about Dick cheney, where Bill Clinton or Carter had put in hot water Sun absorbers and they were immediately taken out as soon as the Republicans went in.
Yes, Carter had solar panels installed on the White House which were removed when Reagan took over

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Considering China likely just disappeared their number one tennis star after she accused a party official of rape, I wouldn't want to go to China as an athlete.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes, Carter had solar panels installed on the White House which were removed when Reagan took over

And some of them are at a Solar Museum at a Himin Solar in China that builds solar water heaters.

They were in use at Unity College until 2005: https://unity.edu/unity-college-news/jimmy-carter-solar-panels/

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Gosh he's still going.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

https://twitter.com/Zac_Petkanas/status/1461565234922065920?s=20

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

FlamingLiberal posted:

my mom is still incredibly bitter that jimmy carter could have led america to a non-climate change future and everyone flocked to reagan's vision of death and devastation

selec
Sep 6, 2003

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

my mom is still incredibly bitter that jimmy carter could have led america to a non-climate change future and everyone flocked to reagan's vision of death and devastation

It’s a nice fantasy, but it’s not real. Carter was the president who officially decided the Persian Gulf was a place we needed to declare in Our National Interest. This is arguably a major starting point in the modern oil wars. Carter may have had good intentions, but that’s a small consolation to a region and the millions dead, injured and otherwise affected by war over resources.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carter_Doctrine?wprov=sfti1

selec fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 19, 2021

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
several decades is a lot of time to gently caress up no matter what the timeline.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1461570402837168128

So K-Mack just hosed himself with his own mouth for three hours and now everyone is laughing at him. I'd say it was gonna be nuts when this doof becomes Speaker in '23, but no, he's gonna go the way of his fellow YUUUUUUNG GUUUUNZ Paul Ryan and Eric Cantor and get hoofed out on his rear end in favour someone like Jim Jordan or the absolute lunatic gamble of the death cult picking Trump to be Speaker when they win.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Did he think he was in the Senate and he was filibustering or what?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

Did he think he was in the Senate and he was filibustering or what?

I legitimately think he thought he was scoring a win over Nancy Pelosi by denying her a vote on bill on the day she said she would bring it to the floor so that it would be a totally embarrassment and look at old Nancy, she can't even keep her word on the day she'll hold a vote on something. Only he did not appear to realize that she can just bring the bill up for a vote tomorrow morning and it would in fact be better because it means more people would be awake to see it happen and the headlines for all of Friday and into the weekend get to be HOUSE PASSES HISTORIC INFRASTRUCTURE BILL, BIDEN AGENDA ONE STEP AWAY FROM BECOMING LAW, etc.

Look, Kevin McCarthy is not a smart man, okay. The only reason he is where he is is because no one else in his caucus wanted the job. He volunteered to be Speaker after John Boehner hosed off in 2015 and was literally laughed out of the room. No one on his team is stopping him from doing these dumbfuck theatrics because they're all laughing at him just as much as the rest of us are.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

David Brooks just made me nauseous again.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/18/opinion/biden-infrastructure-stimulus-bill.html

I can't tell if I should be pleasantly surprised that Brooks isn't parroting Reaganomics nonsense or unpleasantly surprised since pleasing people like him is a sign of political disaster.

Why do I do this to myself? I should stay away when I see his picture.

There's enough fuel in that article you shared to blame everyone and not just the centrists. Sounds like a lot of voters would have loved for the bipartisan deal to have passed ASAP, so it does look like the CPC are going to be easy fall guys.

If it helps, I don't think anyone important to the political process in modern America really gives a poo poo about newspaper editorials, if they've ever.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
why the gently caress is glennchat happening in uspol of all places

okay for real glenn is right about some things but he has become completely and utterly warped by his hatred of the people that he thinks wronged him (and to be fair, many of those people suck insane amounts of rear end) and has fully embraced reactionary thinking.

he also is pretty much a "im not gonna say it but im saying it" transphobe; my moment i was straightup done with glenn was when he had a cohost who was talking about how trans people are stealing lesbians away and he was nodding his head going "Very cool!" so yeah gently caress glenn and gently caress his idiotic lib free speech absolutism.

e:

in news of other personalities, freddie deboer wrote the same loving article that he's written every year since two thousand loving eight.

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/1461320326588112902

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 19, 2021

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

https://twitter.com/RayReedMO/status/1461528626348888065

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Eric Cantonese posted:

Would they ever be happy unless we built a border wall out of the bodies of migrant children?

They want a wall with machine guns pointing into Mexico where you pay some money and shoot at Mexicans for a while.

And why would they ask trump voters why they liked Biden? Does hot like cold?

He's probably telling Biden to do it because it was unpopular.

Meatball fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 19, 2021