Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

9/10, the cancer thing didn't pan out.

Also, lol, if I'm reading it right the author isn't saying all this will happen, he's saying that any one of these things could derail progress and development of humanity.

And we're at 9/10.

9.5, it wasn't cancer, it turned out it was actually microdick and sterility. Which the writer probably pitched but then the editor was like "c'mon man"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is the article it’s from and this is the good timeline:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

I’m getting flashbacks to civilization tech charts.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

MazelTovCocktail posted:

This is not good.

U.S. Warns Allies of Possible Russian Incursion as Troops Amass Near Ukraine

Western intelligence officials are increasingly convinced that the Russian president wants to take control of a larger swath of territory.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/19/us/politics/russia-ukraine-biden-administration.html?referringSource=articleShare

Holy gently caress this is bad.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I feel like I need to decouple myself from the poo poo going on in the world. The anger over Rittenhouse, the rage over Covid exploding again over here because it was an election year and no-one in government dared to pump the brakes before the fall/winter, the dread over Putin doing some more Anschluss...

It's just not healthy at all.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I feel like I need to decouple myself from the poo poo going on in the world. The anger over Rittenhouse, the rage over Covid exploding again over here because it was an election year and no-one in government dared to pump the brakes before the fall/winter, the dread over Putin doing some more Anschluss...

My friend, I have one word for you.
Weissdeutscheschaferhund.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I envision a near-future where pickup trucks roam neighborhoods with armed chuds in the cab hunting for Others and 'undesirables.' And when that future comes, I'm taking at least some of those fuckers with me.

I misjudged you. You’re decent people imo.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Bored As gently caress posted:

Holy gently caress this is bad.
"Would the US tolerate an unfriendly state on its periphery?? Russia is merely taking care of its own security as it has the right to do!"
—smooth-brained, "anti-imperialist"s :downs:

I love this framing of Ukraine erecting defenses:
https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1461811016921137153?s=20

The RT Twitter hero image is :chefskiss:. Just the most deliberate "our mission is to unapologetically spread FUD". Vranyo, indeed.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Duzzy Funlop posted:

At this point I don't think anyone could shame anyone for peacing out of the news cycle. Trying to follow all this stuff is hell.

There's so much awful and there's so little that can be done about it.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Wrong Theory posted:

Alright, so, someone smarter than me (it's a low bar I promise), does this set any sort of precedent? Or am I wrong in how that works?

I suspect nobody in a Wisconson court will submit evidence via Apple Airdrop for at least several years.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
There are potential positive developments in the Ahmaud Arbery murder case:

https://twitter.com/ASFleischman/status/1461855436903231493

Apparently the Georgia citizens arrest law (since repealed) still required probable cause. "Black guy running away from you" or "black guy looking at a house" isn't probable cause, so the judge may potentially napalm the defense's argument in the judge's jury instructions.

But it's still Georgia, so :shrug:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
All 3 of those fuckers need to be put away for life. A literal modern day lynching.

gently caress them.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ASAPI posted:

I never thought I would see a 10/10 prediction from ‘97

And Wired too lmao

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
So would NATO actually intervene if Russia invaded Ukraine?

I mean, Russia could feasibly knock out all of Ukraine’s critical infrastructure and then invade, and do the same for any country that helps the Ukrainians.

Our critical infrastructure is so loving vulnerable it's ridiculous. Any attack by the SVR's or GRU's hackers could mean disaster. Would we really risk that?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I mean, Russia could feasibly knock out all of Ukraine’s critical infrastructure and then invade, and do the same for any country that helps the Ukrainians.

Our critical infrastructure is so loving vulnerable it's ridiculous. Any attack by the SVR's or GRU's hackers could mean disaster. Would we really risk that?

I've always wondered if the "we will turn off your gas" threat to the EU would be balanced out by whoever gets paid for that gas just plain old offing Putin if he put them in that situation.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Look, I'm not some right winger. I haven't voted for a republican since 2008. I hate the people that are gleeful about this, but having watched all the video, I don't think he did anything that would have made him waive his right to self defense.

Lol

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I won't answer insults with insults. I'll try to have a good faith discussion. I see a spectrum of activity that people could argue would bar one from invoking self defense:

Legal, Provacative Activity - He had it coming! Examples: wearing Dolphins gear to a Bills game; marching with your CHUD friends; telling offensive jokes; drawing the Prophet Mohammed
|
|
Illegal, Non-Violent Activity - Jaywalking, curfew breaking, public intoxication, trespassing, vandalism, protesting
|
|
Violent Activity - starting fights, robbery, attempted murder

I'd argue that at the top of this spectrum nothing a person can do, no matter how distasteful, would bar them from claiming self defense if someone attacked them while they were doing it. In the middle category, I come to the same answer I think. Maybe there's a fact pattern out there I could think of, but it would be pretty rare. In the last category, I'd argue you almost certainly waive your right to self defense but, it can be recovered. Based all the video I saw, Rittenhouse was in Category I and II the entire time. I guess that makes me a racist. I'll have to start watching Fox News I guess and find a new internet discussion board to hang out on.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

insane right wingers go looking for a fight, starting to lose and blasting their way out of it is self-defense you say

This is indeed the law in Florida. If the gunman at my protest had started shooting, he would not have been arrested or charged. I could be dead, he would walk, and there would be zero civil liability as well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Not gonna lie all the takes of

"well legally this is actually consistent and the verdict is correct" while all ignoring the greater context of why a 17 year old was running around the streets during a riot with an AR15 in the first place really comes off as some "actually its ephebophilia" poo poo.

I can't possibly give a gently caress with the logical decorum was perfectly preserved and the sanctity of the law upheld when the system backing it is a turd in the 1st place.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

That Works posted:

"well legally this is actually consistent and the verdict is correct" while all ignoring the greater context of why a 17 year old was running around the streets during a riot with an AR15 in the first place really comes off as some "actually its ephebophilia" poo poo.

I can't possibly give a gently caress with the logical decorum was perfectly preserved and the sanctity of the law upheld when the system backing it is a turd in the 1st place.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

That Works posted:

Well, that's fair. As soon as you find a better system let me know. I'm not being snarky, I'm being serious. What is a better alternative to the rule of law? It sure sounds like you're advocating for mob rule, which is great if you're on the right side of the mob.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

maffew buildings posted:

I've been saying for years I'll loving DIE for brands. I'm willing to kill for Golden Corral and I'm inspired as gently caress seeing this brave brand warrior did what was needed for their local capital generating property

*There goes my hero national guard commercial song starts playing in the background*

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Well, that's fair. As soon as you find a better system let me know. I'm not being snarky, I'm being serious. What is a better alternative to the rule of law? It sure sounds like you're advocating for mob rule, which is great if you're on the right side of the mob.

Lmao

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

You're being serious while arguing "Mr. Washington you can't revolt against king George, that's illegal!" ?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I think the idea would be to just attempt to overrun the country while NATO is still loving around trying to figure out its plan, with a solid dose of misinformation and hacking to extend the window of "well we don't know if there's an INVASION per se, so we don't know if there's anything to intervene for." If you can extend strategic paralysis past the point where action would be relevant then NATO never has to take any action, and then everyone's happy except Ukraine.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

While my school had a bunch of confederate bullshit there was one famous alumni who was a semi famous civil rights advocate after he became a priest.

He’s famous because he got sawed in half by multiple shotgun blasts from a part time cop and store owner that was about to execute a 10 year old black girl for trying to buy a soda.

She was wounded, the priest was blown in loving half while he pushed her out of the way.

Another priest was also shot in the back but survived in this incident.

There is no debate over the facts of the case.

The store owner/cop was acquitted on all counts.

Yup nothing can be improved. There is no better system. Gotta trust the process.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 20, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

For leftists, minorities, the poor, women, etc you're already on the wrong side of the mob or whatever you want to call the legal system at present. Rule of law isn't really a thing when it only applies to selected groups / individuals.

Anyway, there is no need (for me at least) to discuss this further itt.

Wrennic_26
Jul 9, 2009

It sure sounds like you're advocating for mob rule, which is great if you're on the right side of the mob.

Would ask you to look at just this situation as essentially that — a small pasty lumpus on the right side of the mob kills two people and injures a third, and sees no consequences due to mob capture of a well-intentioned system.

The burden is not on others to think up an entirely new and better way before criticizing the current bad one!

Towards a better way though — part of that mob capture is this intense and relentless media and thought promulgation system. It caught my dad, it caught multiple people at work who now are antivaxxing out of their profession… otherwise good people, caught by wicked, hateful, viral ideas and… infected. Then their infection is reinforced over, and over, and over, and over, and over (pretend I copy pasted another 100 times)

This thread has talked about that before — the use of a media storm as a system of control:
https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/04/how-the-media-became-putins-most-powerful-weapon/391062/

Younger people seem slightly more immune, through skepticism? Heck, I credit this site for helping expose me to other opinions I would never get living in the South.

What else could be done about that? I would love to hear the screeching about prospective vaccines against Fox News.

E:typo

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

That Works posted:

For leftists, minorities, the poor, women, etc you're already on the wrong side of the mob or whatever you want to call the legal system at present. Rule of law isn't really a thing when it only applies to selected groups / individuals.

Anyway, there is no need (for me at least) to discuss this further itt.

Fair enough. I'll see myself out.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

That Works posted:

This, except a reaction of "omg, this is a travesty of justice, how could this happen" lets the very system thst made this all legal off the hook. This is the system working exactly as designed, and thats completely hosed.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 20, 2021

COINCEL PRO
Mar 18, 2019

Fair enough. I'll see myself out.

No... stop... don't.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Laws are just a vibe, that resonate based on ethnic/socioeconomic status

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

While my school had a bunch of confederate bullshit there was one famous alumni who was a semi famous civil rights advocate after he became a priest.

He’s famous because he got sawed in half by multiple shotgun blasts from a part time cop and store owner that was about to execute a 10 year old black girl for trying to buy a soda.

She was wounded, the priest was blown in loving half while he pushed her out of the way.

Yup nothing can be improved. There is no better system. Gotta trust the process.

Hey, it's either white supremacist militia violence or no laws at all. This is the choice. I am definitely arguing in good faith.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Clearly the only alternative to rule of law is not modifying said rules, but mob rule like what all those bad guys did in that Batman movie with Bane and Scarecrow

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Do it. I’ve backed off all that poo poo completely and my life is significantly better for it. I just don’t really give a poo poo any more and it’s way better than getting mad about things I can’t do anything about.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Hey, I wonder how the Rittenhouse verdict is being interpreted...

https://twitter.com/MichaelEHayden/status/1461764866847432706

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
The right wing twitterverse is also spamming out disgusting memes glorifying what he did, as well.

It's disgusting. They act as if the chubby ignorant dumbass even knew the guy was a sex predator before he shot him.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

That Works posted:

Right. The end result is the enaction of the classic “there will be blood in the streets” scenario, used against the idea of people carrying weapons and going lethal in what would otherwise be nonviolent or street brawl encounters rather than homicides with the added bonus of stray rounds flying through town.

“The fastest gun in the west” wasn’t meant to mean the first guy to figure out a legal tripwire might’ve been ticked and start killing people.

In the micro sense, I see how the case created reasonable doubt. But now we’re all supposed to watch a guy with a longarm run around in crowds, raise his weapon to flag people, but do nothing about it unless either
A: the person starts murdering
B: someone does something to the guy with the gun, at which point good luck knowing who is an active shooter vs who is assaulting a (technically) law abiding gun carrier.

The right wing response to this has not been to say “this was a rare and unfortunate blood in the streets scenario.” It has been to cheer that this is the intended blood in the streets outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Look at these loving scumbag pieces of poo poo:

https://twitter.com/FPWellman/status/1461765540737863693?s=20
https://twitter.com/MichaelEHayden/status/1461764866847432706?s=20
https://twitter.com/TeaPainUSA/status/1462055446873882624?s=20

All the experts on white supremacists and right wing terrorists are ringing the alarm bells.
https://twitter.com/MalcolmNance/status/1461859449111560211?s=20

https://twitter.com/MichaelEHayden/status/1461764866847432706?s=20

Also look at these loving crybabies whining and moaning about Black Rifle Coffee not supporting Rittenhouse and *GASP* doing an article with the NYT. OH GOD THE HORROR
https://www.revolver.news/2021/07/black-rifle-coffee-new-york-times/

Aaaaaand a palate cleanser:
https://twitter.com/pptsapper/status/1462067188043554819?s=20

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 20, 2021