Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nuebot posted:

I find way too many of the new designs are just people. Like, not even weird monster people, or cool unearthly people. Or whatever weird over the top poo poo you get with personas these days they're just...people. And it just feels lame to me.

Yeah the more I think about it it's that the Demeter/Idun designs feel like anime girls in halloween costumes. Amanozako is fine I guess if you need a new mascot for this specific entry but there's a lot

Compare to Ame-no-Uzume/Kushinada-hime, or Parvati and Sarasvati

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Personally I've noticed that most of the demons are the series staples, and they rolled back and away from the huge number of questionable inclusions from SMTIV. IMO it feels like a very well-refined pool of good choices. I've liked just about all of them.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ugh, almost got Daisoujou on the first try, but Prayer screwed me.over since both demons that resist Light and Dark have a weakness to ailments. I did notice he used Mahama even with Anahita on the field, and his health seemed low so I guess I should just bum rush him and use Divine Magutsuchi to counter Meditation. Which still hits like a truck.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Zophar posted:

It's definitely an interesting choice, seeing how the last major time Demeter was portrayed in a video game they went with this:

IIRC she still calls Zeus her younger brother in this, but one of the aims of Redux was to fill in the school girl with a temper quota, so we're stuck with that design.

quote:

Personally I've noticed that most of the demons are the series staples, and they rolled back and away from the huge number of questionable inclusions from SMTIV. IMO it feels like a very well-refined pool of good choices. I've liked just about all of them.
A lot of of the designs they discarded were made by guest artists in SMTIV. This game was a chance for Doi to show off his portfolio, as his designs have the best looking models.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 21, 2021

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah the more I think about it it's that the Demeter/Idun designs feel like anime girls in halloween costumes. Amanozako is fine I guess if you need a new mascot for this specific entry but there's a lot

Compare to Ame-no-Uzume/Kushinada-hime, or Parvati and Sarasvati

Ame-no-Uzume and Parvati have always been some of my favorite designs since nocturne and they're very much just cool ladies, but the presentation is very different.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

This game very much felt like the keep it safe and highly polished approach to the demon roster. Of course some people are going to prefer the SMT4 go loving wild and crazy approach. I will say that strategy is a lot easier to pursue with jpegs than 3D models though. Anyway they have their own pros and cons but it probably just comes down to taste

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Lahmu, Abidel's fallen form, Khonzu, Nuwa, Zeus, Odin etc. all look great imo. I can get not jiving with Demeter or Idun but it's not like they were All Like That.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I found it really strange that the first enemy you fight in IV looks like a mid-game boss. Everyone else in the dungeon was appropriately used, but among the fairies and cute little demons there's this giant Scottish warrior impaled with swords and arrows.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

While the roster has definitely stuck a bit more to the safe side, I don't know that I'd say they entirely did, since there are some new peeps, and they dug some older ones out of the vault.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nuebot posted:

I find way too many of the new designs are just people. Like, not even weird monster people, or cool unearthly people. Or whatever weird over the top poo poo you get with personas these days they're just...people. And it just feels lame to me. It makes me not want to use any of these new demons because I don't want a team of characters that walked in out of some gacha game, basically. And of course this is going to sound insane given how often demons in other games have had human elements to them, or been very human in design but look at Lilith's designs. She looks mostly human, but her design is always posed in a way to draw attention to the fact that even if she does; holy poo poo her hands and feet are weird and creepy, she's clearly not a person. Meanwhile the best you get with some of these new designs is Cleopatra's snakeshand which is definitely not the focus of that design. I guess I'm basically just an old pokemon fan at this point complaining that things are different, but it's not like SMT's never done sexual, or sexualized, designs before: they've just never felt this blatantly pandering to the weird nerd crowd to me.

Basically it seems like most of the designs I really dislike and feel clash most with others were added in Redux because other new designs, like the angel redesign, are fine. But maybe there's some bias there because I hated the redux areas too, they were miserable to play through.

SOrry about the bad opinions.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
This feels like a pokemon genwun argument tbh. Like we're forgetting that most of the norse pantheon used to be naked cape dudes with weird skin colors, or the heralds, who are still just dudes with wings and weird skin colors.

I'm still at the very beginning, but the Hydra is one of my favorite multi head snake designs. Much better than orochi. That weird 2 face zeus from the trailer was cool too.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The original Lilith design was incredibly sexualized, and looked like she strolled right out of like Heavy Metal or something. Yeah her feet and hands were weird, but the focus was on "Big haired lady with her tits out" more than her weird bits.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Sometimes I like shuffling onto the SMT wiki and just looking up random critters to see how many different designs they've had.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Zophar posted:

this was the case with Nocturne, too, and the commonality here is that it's new models for everything-- i suspect it's as much a cost-saving measure as anything

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
I'm what I guess am a little over halfway through the game (just beat Yakumo in the third area) and I'm starting to constantly run into MP issues, especially on my MC. Is there some way to boost MP that I'm missing out on somewhere, or somewhere where you can get MP restore items?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Toad King posted:

I'm what I guess am a little over halfway through the game (just beat Yakumo in the third area) and I'm starting to constantly run into MP issues, especially on my MC. Is there some way to boost MP that I'm missing out on somewhere, or somewhere where you can get MP restore items?

right by the first leyline for this zone, there's a jack o'lantern hanging out asking for fire gems-- he exchanges them for chakra drops

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You probably have access to essences with the basic MP up passive and the restore skill at that point, which refunds 10MP when critting or hitting a weakness. It's not bad. You can probably help the bino's MP situation a lot by investing in the miracles that increase his relevant skill affinities if you haven't been keeping up with those.

Even if you have lots of chakra drops they start getting a bit too inefficient to really use as in combat restores around that time to my memory

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

God I wish the audio mixing in this game wasn't so bad. Playing docked with my receiver picking up 5.1 surround, all attack sound effects muffle out the music, and that's a crime with how good the music is in this game. I'll try forcing plain stereo to see how that fares, since it sounds fine in handheld mode -- just lovely in its own hardware-restricted way.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Anime girls, are ftw

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The original Lilith design was incredibly sexualized, and looked like she strolled right out of like Heavy Metal or something. Yeah her feet and hands were weird, but the focus was on "Big haired lady with her tits out" more than her weird bits.

Well yeah, she spends most the plot trying to tempt MC into being her partner and dropping the heroine.

enojy posted:

God I wish the audio mixing in this game wasn't so bad. Playing docked with my receiver picking up 5.1 surround, all attack sound effects muffle out the music, and that's a crime with how good the music is in this game. I'll try forcing plain stereo to see how that fares, since it sounds fine in handheld mode -- just lovely in its own hardware-restricted way.

I been wondering why everyone was saying the music was so good when I found it only passable, but that might be it, maybe I'll force stereo next time and see if it helps

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
If there's one thing I miss from SMTIV it's the fusion search - and more specifically, the filters.

Sometimes I wanna use a dude and I don't want to sift through either a ton of demons or external sites to see what I can make.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

yeah i miss the search filters a lot

on the other hand i really love that i can just get the game to spit out a list of every unregistered demon i can currently fuse so i can systematically go through all of them as they come up, and just having that always there

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I stumbled onto Cleopatra who clapped my level 40 rear end and that was one hell of a way to find out that there's a fourth rank to damage spells now?? Mabufubarion ?!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

YggiDee posted:

I stumbled onto Cleopatra who clapped my level 40 rear end and that was one hell of a way to find out that there's a fourth rank to damage spells now?? Mabufubarion ?!

Fourth ranks have existed for a bit now, often in spells that were specific to one demon/Persona. This is just the first time they've had a specific suffix, and the spells that used to be the fourth rank like Thunder Reign, Die for Me!, etc. have been shuffled around to do different things.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I kinda liked the fourth tier having unique names, felt like you reached a new plane and broke the bufu barrier

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I mean, I remember Thunder Reign/Panta Rhei/Samara and all that but I remember those as being unique/exclusive abilities, not ones that I'll be propagating through my team.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
goddammit every beat in V slaps so loving hard

Meguro really is shaping up to Japan's Mick Gordon

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

KonvexKonkav posted:

I find that the crit limit break is kind of pointless once your team is set up such that you get 8 actions per turn anyway.

The physical skills that do more damage when you crit combined with the passive Critical Zealot makes the crit limit breaks extremely good.

Also my favorite new demon design is Manananggal. It’s extremely disturbing in a great way

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 22, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

thetoughestbean posted:

Also my favorite new demon design is Manananggal. It’s extremely disturbing in a great way

I put one to sleep and uh, well I dunno what I was expecting I guess.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

Meguro really is shaping up to Japan's Mick Gordon

He didn't compose SMT5. It was Kenichi Tsuchiya, who also did 4 and 4a.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

thetoughestbean posted:

The physical skills that do more damage when you crit combined with the passive Critical Zealot makes the crit limit breaks extremely good.

Manananggal owns and I have promoted her to a permanent spot on the roster, Sanguine Drain is a real good opener to boss fights

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

An important thing to note about SMT demons is that a tremendous majority of all mythology creatures fall into the category of "incredibly hot man/woman who loves to bone" because a significant portion of any mythology is related to sexy people having sex. There's arguments to be made about some of the designs but a lot of them make sense. Even the ones who are not usually are associate with unearthly beauty/eternal youth/other such things because mythology.

Like Idun looking like a young peppy red riding hood with a basket full of apples makes complete sense from a character design perspective because the goddess is literally associated with apples, youth, and energy. the idol singer aspects are a pretty bluntly anime flavoring but even they make sense from the perspective of a goddess whose basically associated with being a goddess responsible for giving pep and vigor to the gods. It's anime as hell but it makes sense for the character.

Demeter isn't quite as logical but she also makes sense for the role she's given in SJ and SMTV Where she is explicitly using her kind looks as a front to hide her cold interior, much as Demeter is both the cause of brilliant spring and cold winter.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

neongrey posted:

on the other hand i really love that i can just get the game to spit out a list of every unregistered demon i can currently fuse so i can systematically go through all of them as they come up, and just having that always there

I didn't play 4 enough to really care, but the summoning options in 5 are the best thing in this game so far. Last night I was thinking "gee I wish I could sort by cost" and of course the option is right there. The only thing missing I'd want (and I recognize this is insane) is the ability to do a complicated multi-fusion sort, similar to the old Monster Hunter app, for fusions required to get X skills on Y demon.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I mostly brought up Lilith's old design because she was mentioned in "They didn't used to pander to weirdos!" wall o' text up there. Which considering there have been butt rear end naked ladies since basically day one, maybe with a few extra bits (Werecat was just "naked lady, but with cat bits"), but sometimes just otherwise normal aside from skin color.... they're honestly kind of pandering less to the weirdos now than before if you want to look at it that way.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mailer posted:

I didn't play 4 enough to really care, but the summoning options in 5 are the best thing in this game so far. Last night I was thinking "gee I wish I could sort by cost" and of course the option is right there. The only thing missing I'd want (and I recognize this is insane) is the ability to do a complicated multi-fusion sort, similar to the old Monster Hunter app, for fusions required to get X skills on Y demon.

https://aqiu384.github.io/megaten-fusion-tool/smt5/recipes

its not in game but there is this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I mostly brought up Lilith's old design because she was mentioned in "They didn't used to pander to weirdos!" wall o' text up there. Which considering there have been butt rear end naked ladies since basically day one, maybe with a few extra bits (Werecat was just "naked lady, but with cat bits"), but sometimes just otherwise normal aside from skin color.... they're honestly kind of pandering less to the weirdos now than before if you want to look at it that way.

Anyone saying that has never actually seen the original artwork for Pixie.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Toad King posted:

There is a Cironnup Essence in a treasure in the second world and you can get Restore on the MC via that for certain. I can't recall where I got Mana Spring from though, unfortunately.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Anyone saying that has never actually seen the original artwork for Pixie.

There a couple of sets of hard nipples in those OG artworks. Honestly the SMT 3 era of just throwing demons in bondage gear de-horny'd the franchise.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

He didn't compose SMT5. It was Kenichi Tsuchiya, who also did 4 and 4a.

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

Tsuchiya really is shaping up to Japan's Mick Gordon

they really are some of the best OST's ive ever heard. right up there with the legends like Tommy Tallarico

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There a couple of sets of hard nipples in those OG artworks. Honestly the SMT 3 era of just throwing demons in bondage gear de-horny'd the franchise.

Rest in peace, Bondage Angel.

The change makes sense for how they use angels in SMT V but I’m still sad to see it go. I thought it was pretty funny how in Apocalypse you could level/transform an Angel all the way through the ranks until it hit its most powerful form… Bondage Angel