Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Are you freaking kidding me? Trump literally made a deal with the Taliban which tied the hands of any incoming administration. Not to mention, Bush Jr really hosed it up too!

https://twitter.com/RANDCorporation/status/1432481025599356929?s=20

Says the think tank that thought the Vietnam War was a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

No that’s incorrect, my understanding is that they clearly had the data that it was a bad idea and were suppressing it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Has anyone been keeping track of the Brian liandre stuff?

https://apnews.com/article/florida-755ef111f2e1b0f8d9d8faba21eabbe8

So bones were found of Brian, with a gunshot wound to the head and has now been ruled a suicide.

How the gently caress is this a suicide if the man was turned into a pile of bones in a few months. It's fairly insane.

I don't know a huge amount about this so far other than a few articles read.

Others have already said this, but being turned into bones in a few months is actually the normal thing to happen when your body is left outside exposed to the elements and a ton of hungry critters. Hell, he was probably turned into bones way sooner than that. According to Wikipedia that poo poo can happen after only three weeks if the conditions are right:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeletonization#:~:text=and%20work%20integrity-,Timeline,a%20substrate%20such%20as%20water.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

No that’s incorrect, my understanding is that they clearly had the data that it was a bad idea and were suppressing it.

Well, that makes it all good then :-)

Funny thing is, from 8/2020 to 3/2021 I was commuting by bike in the area and would ride by RAND on many mornings.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

Well, that makes it all good then :-)

Funny thing is, from 8/2020 to 3/2021 I was commuting by bike in the area and would ride by RAND on many mornings.

Here’s the way I think about the modeling consultancies. They make very good models amorally.

The failures of Vietnam war were from the arrogance of the systems thinkers. The same conceptual tools they, well , created are also very much part of how we model say climate change, really any complicated systems.

Their failures in Vietnam are one of the reasons they are so absent of morality in what they do. That’s probably become a mistake in itself now. Both of the big consultancies produce models that are extremely relevant to the problems we face now. But they do so without moral content and for whoever will pay. This absence of moral content allows others to insert their own content. It gives the rich and malicious a very, very, powerful tool.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

nine-gear crow posted:

Is she so stupid she can't remember Cawthorne is a paraplegic, or is that actually a really ice cold chaos dunk? YOU DECIDE!
the cruelty is the point

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i wonder if the true crimes podcasters will reconsider how they acted during this entire ugly episode, especially the bit about harassing the brian's parents based on satellite photos supposedly showing a bunker hidden under their flower bed, when it turns out it was actually the obvious outcome instead

The internet is dumb and true crime supa crime solvers are an interesting flavor of stupid.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I'm going to laugh when whatever ghoul "wins," Murderhaus loses their Primary because he told Tucker Carlson he supports Black Lives Matter and their opponent will get to put that on every mailer and sign.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Biden broke the agreement by postponing the pullout date, which caused the Taliban to no longer feel bound by the agreement.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Having a functioning (...non-Taliban?) Afghan state done sailed a long time ago. The withdrawal was handled alright - better handling of the refugees would have been real real good.

The pullout was a quagmire and highlighted how incompetent the US military is in general. Better handling of equipment would have been real good as well.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

I'm going to laugh when whatever ghoul "wins," Murderhaus loses their Primary because he told Tucker Carlson he supports Black Lives Matter and their opponent will get to put that on every mailer and sign.

The smarter monsters in the blob have already realized the kid is radioactive now after he said that and are now in the process of sawing through whatever sinew they have to to cut him loose. His time on chud gravy train lasted approximately one full weekend, it seems.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

nine-gear crow posted:

The smarter monsters in the blob have already realized the kid is radioactive now after he said that and are now in the process of sawing through whatever sinew they have to to cut him loose. His time on chud gravy train lasted approximately one full weekend, it seems.

If we needed any more proof we officially live in the Comedy Option timeline.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Live by the chud, die by the chud(s canceling you because you think black lives matter)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Funniest thing is that he probably only said that because he thought it would be damage control for all the people who are still mad at him over the whole "murdering people" thing.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
The Rittenhouse matter has instigated in my life some debate that echoed this very thread from a week or so ago, being what authority do our legal systems have if they consistently/purposefully serves the status quo and not the people?

I'm finding it incredibly hard for folks to admit that fundamental parts of our system are critically flawed, people from all over the political spectrum. They're not armed with knowledge, they're scared and they all figure they've something to lose.

For all our injustices, people seem too comfortable, but I guess that's partially a product of where I live.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

BRJohnson posted:

The Rittenhouse matter has instigated in my life some debate that echoed this very thread from a week or so ago, being what authority do our legal systems have if they consistently/purposefully serves the status quo and not the people?

Welcome to living under a violently oppressive oligarchy. The state has no legitimacy, just the monopoly of force.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Even without that I really can't call the U.S. a legitimate democracy based on the system as it is supposed to work alone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They all certainly do have something to lose, because the moment they piss of someone with real power, their livelihood is forfeit.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They all certainly do have something to lose, because the moment they piss of someone with real power, their livelihood is forfeit.

There is always that underlying threat.

But people are credulous, too. They were raised to believe the system(s) works and unless they have exposure to it failing or going after them outright (like having just a little too much money to qualify for medicaid/food stamps/etc, being black, being railroaded by a prosecutor and ME that don't care), they don't see a problem. They believe miscarriages of justice are rare, there are appeals, if a company dumps toxic waste in their backyard they can call the state authorities (lol) or the EPA or they can sue.

They believe there is recourse and justice. They believe in the great american experiment. It's that bit of brainwashing that makes it so hard for people to accept that things might be truly broken. And those that do realize it tend to feel helpless or glom onto conspiracy theories.

Also, versions of just-world fallacy. They're taught that if they do things right, follow the law and work hard they can live a decent life, possibly a good one or, extremely rarely, an awesome one. Things makes sense. Candide should be required reading in all schools along with many other things.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

This info is good, I'd wonder if they found a firearm on him. They only specified a backpack and a notebook.

The gun was in the backpack.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If everyone were to stand up together though, power would be brought to its knees instead. I think embracing that is the essence of handing out flyers energy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Congratulations on your killing people major achievement Kyle!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That photo of Trump and Kim Jong Un is hilarious

Like Trump still doesn’t understand that Kim played him

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

That photo of Trump and Kim Jong Un is hilarious

Like Trump still doesn’t understand that Kim played him

At first glance I thought it was a photo of him shaking hands with Rittenhouse 5 minutes earlier like the photos they sell at rollercoasters

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Medullah posted:

Congratulations on your killing people major achievement Kyle!

Killed two lefties and met with God-Emperor, and still can't get anything better than an internship

:sad: economy we got

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

Killed two lefties and met with God-Emperor, and still can't get anything better than an internship

:sad: economy we got

How much you wanna bet it would be an unpaid internship?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CommieGIR posted:

How much you wanna bet it would be an unpaid internship?

I figured that went without saying.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

the_steve posted:

I figured that went without saying.

Oh yeah no: he's getting the Congressional Page program masterclass experience

He gets to be Matt Gaetz's new son

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 24, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TulliusCicero posted:

He can be right there as Gaetz gets arrested

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm not sure that's a fate even Rittenhouse deserves.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Crows Turn Off posted:

Any reason why the Biden Admintration couldn't have or shouldn't have just ignored Trump's agreement/plan and done the "right" things instead (whatever the "right" things are)?

"Whatever the right things are"

Well thats the whole problem right? You (and everyone else) doesnt even know what the right things were to do, so how was the Biden admistration suppose to do those things? Pulling out of Afghanistan even if it was chaotic as hell, was the most right thing to do because the Afghanistan government and military was a deeply rotten structure that toppled at the slightest breeze.

Nobody can articulate what our goal in Afghanistan was, let alone how to achieve it. Nobody knows what the right things to do were because we are a Western superpower muddled in a culture half way around the world thats based on informal understandings and local relationships that we had no clue about.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TulliusCicero posted:

He's gotta be like the 5th Nestor by now

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I gotta say: when Biden realized that all that poo poo his Generals were feeding him about timetables and 'will to fight' was total bullshit, and that everything was going to fall apart into chaos, and that the media was out for his head over it, and he held firm and pulled out anyway?

That is leadership. I absolutely respect that decision. He bore the blame and did the right thing.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

ozmunkeh posted:

The gun was in the backpack.

Kind of rules out suicide if true

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Failed Imagineer posted:

He's gotta be like the 5th Nestor by now

Kyle trembled in terror as he watched Matt Gaetz bulbous forehead come back into the light, his head tilting up from the neck of the human being that had once been Nestor, but was now but a shriveled husk devoid of blood or life, as if a balloon drained of air, laying on the shag carpet of the lavish Congressional Office

"Hello Kyle" , the sickening voice of the eldritch being before him boomed "You may not have known, but you are now my son". With a sickening grin Gaetz loomed closer flashing his clear strip-white teeth, the stench of Alcohol and Benzos filled Kyle's nostrils, " We share no blood, but we will very, very soon..."

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 24, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

VideoGameVet posted:

Exactly! And if RAND Corporation is telling you your window of opportunity is limited sounds like you are just hosed!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Here’s the way I think about the modeling consultancies. They make very good models amorally.

The failures of Vietnam war were from the arrogance of the systems thinkers. The same conceptual tools they, well , created are also very much part of how we model say climate change, really any complicated systems.

Their failures in Vietnam are one of the reasons they are so absent of morality in what they do. That’s probably become a mistake in itself now. Both of the big consultancies produce models that are extremely relevant to the problems we face now. But they do so without moral content and for whoever will pay. This absence of moral content allows others to insert their own content. It gives the rich and malicious a very, very, powerful tool.

I was at Activision when they were doing Spycraft. At a lunch with William Colby Jr. I flat out asked when he felt they were not likely to win the war.

His answer? After the Diem coup.

After that it was saving face. Crazy.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

I was at Activision when they were doing Spycraft. At a lunch with William Colby Jr. I flat out asked when he felt they were not likely to win the war.

His answer? After the Diem coup.

After that it was saving face. Crazy.

The things that’s been getting to me is... they had how to identify and prevent basically all the problems we face now. Inequality, climate, even political polarization, how they think lets one model these problems and then create solutions.

Instead they hosed up in Vietnam and then abrogated morality in reaction for pride. Now it’s too late.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/QasimRashid/status/1463501891283869698?t=HEIiP4xuXQ4HSGGGFQZW0A&s=19

Posted without comment because holy shite.

:allbuttons:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I told you banning Dr Seuss was a slippery slope to all this!!!!1!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1463577902818246666?s=20