Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Defenestrategy posted:

Alright, for arguments sake let's say it's true global elites unleashed covid.

To what end? They're already in control of every thing from entertainment to food distribution. Wouldn't disrupting the status quo by killing a bunch of people and loving up globalized economy's be bad for them? Why did Trump and a bunch of other us politicians get covid?

Trump was one of the global elite that launched COVID. His alleged infection was a false flag tactic to expose evil DEMONCRATS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

I’m down.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Remotely pilot a 747 into CPAC22 would be a good choice.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Reading too much Tom Clancy friend.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Trump was one of the global elite that launched COVID. His alleged infection was a false flag tactic to expose evil DEMONCRATS.

Not sure what the angle is, but… Jesus, take the info wars poo poo somewhere else.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Nuclear Tourist posted:

The refugee situation around the EU borders has been grim as poo poo for a while now. What just happened in the English Channel has been going on in the Mediterranean for years, tons of people from places like Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria trying to get to southern Europe by any means possible and crossing from northern Africa in anything that floats. Human trafficking gangs take everything they own for payment. It's a level of desperation-induced bravery that I'm very thankful for not having experienced (yet).

thankfully now they can just catch a flight to belarus and apply for asylum at the border of noted asylum seeker-friendly state, poland

or freeze to death in the belovezhskaya forest, one or the other

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ASAPI posted:

Not sure what the angle is, but… Jesus, take the info wars poo poo somewhere else.

I'd assume after the cpac comment that he's no fan of infowars.

I keep seeing an article saying something like "don't go to cpac dressed as big bird" and I'm nothing if not tempted to buy a big bird suit with a comically oversized needle to chase people around with before someone self-defenses against me.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

You can just stand your own ground against their ground-standing, checkmate liberals

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Big bird doesn't need to pack heat. Just a bandolier of comedically sized syringes.

E: the aforementioned big bird cpac story.

https://gizmodo.com/warning-do-not-go-to-cpac-2022-dressed-as-big-bird-1848111147

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 26, 2021

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

babe wake up new COVID variant just dropped

Not a lot of concrete info on how transmissible it is, whether it’s more deadly or can defeat current vaccines but British health officials are calling it “the most worrying they’ve seen.” Lots and f governments starting to ban flights from Southern Africa already (where the variant was first discovered.)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I was convinced it would be the UK where the next mega-variant arose

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good to see the Marines working on new basing ideas.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A bunch of confused Marines trying to figure out if they can draw dicks on the dicks.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Not a lot of concrete info on how transmissible it is, whether it’s more deadly or can defeat current vaccines but British health officials are calling it “the most worrying they’ve seen.” Lots and f governments starting to ban flights from Southern Africa already (where the variant was first discovered.)

We're going to 'trust the science' here in America and wait until we've already got it for sure before doing a (too late) half hearted lockdown.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Omikron has a somewhat sinister sound to it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This thread knew about the new variant before Biden did.

This is an improvement over 2019-nCoV itself, where WHO announced pneumonia of unknown origin in Wuhan on New Year’s Eve and the thread noticed it on January fourth.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

CommieGIR posted:

A bunch of confused Marines trying to figure out if they can draw dicks on the dicks.

If there's anyone who can solve recursive dicks...

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I was convinced it would be the UK where the next mega-variant arose

Well it’s been found in Belgium so it won’t be long until it’s here.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
c'mon man.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Best Friends posted:

We're going to 'trust the science' here in America and wait until we've already got it for sure before doing a (too late) half hearted lockdown.

lol, no

There is not going to be any future lockdown. We didn't even really have one for the og covid.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

my wife said this new variant is a 30 spike. which is pretty huge.

edit : \/ bandaids always work the best i hear

ded fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 26, 2021

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/0RfMg7Glptg

Biden restricting travel from 7 countries now

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The branch length of this thing is just out of this world.

https://twitter.com/jcbarret/status/1463975711153262594

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

So for those of you scienticians who know how to speak Science- what does this functionally mean? Is it just the sheer number of mutations that’s bad or are people starting to figure out what their impact could be ahead of any formal findings by CDC or WHO?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
It is mutating extremely rapidly and is both becoming more virulent and deadly in many cases of the mutations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

So for those of you scienticians who know how to speak Science- what does this functionally mean? Is it just the sheer number of mutations that’s bad or are people starting to figure out what their impact could be ahead of any formal findings by CDC or WHO?

It’s where the mutations are and what they do to the three‐dimensional structure of the spike, and to the charges at these positions. Some of the changes are relatively well‐studied because they’d been seen or theorized in the past. Some of them are new and exciting innovations.

Computer modelling shows it’s going to hurt the binding potential of many commercial antibodies.

What’s somewhat up in the air is what this means for the polyclonal antibodies generated by the vaccines, but it’s not good. It’s varying degrees of bad. Maybe it’s a modest efficacy drop for the average person e.g. comparable to that seen by six‐months‐stale vaccines. Maybe it’s bigger.

https://twitter.com/jbloom_lab/status/1464005676842184705

This thread by Trevor Bedford is also good.

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1464353224417325066

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 27, 2021

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

It means God is pissed and he's finally doing something. Inshallah.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It means that something happened to make this initial strain hypermutable.

There's not really tons more to be scared about vs what we already have tbh. The likelihood that all of these mutations contribute positively to virulence is unlikely, most of them are probably doing little to alter the virulence or the antigenicity (how well your antibodies against it now differ from it).

ded posted:

It is mutating extremely rapidly and is both becoming more virulent and deadly in many cases of the mutations.

Where are you seeing that it is more virulent and more deadly?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Wild that America hoards vaccines and then bans travel to the countries that end up incubating a new variant.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

That Works posted:

Where are you seeing that it is more virulent and more deadly?

2nd hand from what my wife has experienced at her hospital while treating covid patients

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Take the figure itself with a grain of salt because it’s an extrapolation based on limited data and limited understanding of the underlying mechanisms, but Yaneer Bar-Yam is not a fool.

https://twitter.com/yaneerbaryam/status/1464267983166058500

South Africa says they’re not seeing horrific death rates yet (or rather, horrifically above background), but there’s a lot of uncertainty.

Even meeting it the projection in the middle would be just awful.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Platystemon posted:

This thread knew about the new variant before Biden did.

This is an improvement over 2019-nCoV itself, where WHO announced pneumonia of unknown origin in Wuhan on New Year’s Eve and the thread noticed it on January fourth.

In our defence we were drunk as poo poo on New Year.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ded posted:

2nd hand from what my wife has experienced at her hospital while treating covid patients

It's not in the USA yet from any source I've seen so far.

Looking more into it its ability to spread seems significantly greater than Delta, beyond that though (whether or not its more virulent or lethal) doesn't seem to be known.

Would be a lucky break (and not entirely improbable) that it would be a less virulent but easier to spread infection (think more like measles in terms of spread and virulence). If that's the case then hurry it up.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Platystemon posted:

South Africa says they’re not seeing horrific death rates yet (or rather, horrifically above background), but there’s a lot of uncertainty.

Even meeting it the projection in the middle would be just awful.

The general "responsible" take right now is to cool the dooming/happiness for a couple weeks. From what I've seen, this variant got easily detected in South Africa because of their AIDS-related infrastructure and a quirk in this now-officially named Omicron variant that leads to immediate sequencing on a PCR test. Normally you have to run a PCR test, then send the sample off for sequencing. Omicron is so unique that it immediately pops on a PCR test compared to all the other variants out there. In South Africa, this is also likely hitting a low-vaccinated population and the data is kind of spotty/early right now.

That Works posted:

It's not in the USA yet from any source I've seen so far.

The African countries are kind of boned because of the above testing infrastructure - I've already seen Omicron be detected in onesie-twosie quantities in Israel and some other random countries (Belgium, Hong Kong). For all we know, it started somewhere else *then* migrated to Africa, testing/sequencing isn't exactly great right now. It's likely already too late for travel bans (and Biden's doesn't even apply to citizens), but vaccine/testing requirements likely help. It's still hosed though - we don't do quarantines/lockdowns, so it's mostly pointless.

Get vaccinated, buy N/KN95 masks (just paid $60 for 100 at Costco), etc. Check back in a few weeks and we'll really know what Omicron's about.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

In our defence we were drunk as poo poo on New Year.

Speak for yourself.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CommieGIR posted:

Oh come on now, Marines might not be bright but they aren't this stupid. They instinctively know that the answer is yes.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

CommieGIR posted:

Yes.

Edit: I mean you can draw dicks on dicks, like c'mon haven't you ever passed out in a barracks?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thank you for this gift of Omicron, Papa Nurgle

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Speak for yourself.

We don’t all have your super powered willpower, Kiwiman.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

FrozenVent posted:

We don’t all have your super powered willpower, Kiwiman.

Btw congrats on your lil token and poo poo. That’s good on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Thank you for this gift of Omicron, Papa Nurgle

State of emergency declared for NY hospitals because of this btw.

https://abc7ny.com/health/state-of-emergency-issued-in-ny-to-help-boost-hospital-capacity/11272720/