Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

luchadornado posted:

Is it worth buying a receiver and doing 3.1

I think so

Edit: one option for 5.1 if you’re not averse is to do a Sonos deal and use some wall mounted rear speakers, like the new IKEA panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

luchadornado posted:

Is it worth buying a receiver and doing 3.1, or should I just do something like a soundbar?

Not that long ago I moved and had to drop the rear speakers from my setup because of it, I found that was noticeable but didnt make a huge difference. If you have a nice center and subwoofer, a 3.1 setup will go a long way, tho I've not been able to listen to high end soundbars to compare admittedly.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
I just got an LG CX OLED tv, and instead of using a streaming device, I'd like to use the apps on the LG. I have a Pioneer VSX-324 that supports ARC from the output. The HDMI In on the TV also says ARC. When I connect them, the TV recognizes the Pioneer connection, however, no sounds seems to be passing through.

Normally, a device would pass sound into the receiver, then video to the TV. How do I get the TV to push audio to the receiver? Is this even possible?

EDIT: I'm dumb. I was only testing with the Plex app on the TV. There was some setting for DTS that I turned off and everything works.

raej fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 27, 2021

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

If it helps, most games don't run at 4k 120hz. In fact, I think all of them that do are last gen(ps4/xbone) era games. I don't think any ps5/series x only games run at 120fps.

My PC does though.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

If it helps, most games don't run at 4k 120hz. In fact, I think all of them that do are last gen(ps4/xbone) era games. I don't think any ps5/series x only games run at 120fps.

They're rare but there are a few. Ratchet & Clank cleverly uses 120 Hz to deliver a 40 FPS quality mode.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I' have a 3 speaker setup and I still need to get the .1. However, this is for a bedroom in an apartment so I want a really small powered subwoofer, like those 6" that come with soundbars, something to just fill out the sound but not rattle the walls or disturb the neighbors. This seems to be hard to find though - any suggestions?

luchadornado posted:

Looking at getting back into a decent-sounding home audio system and replacing my old Yamaha 5.1 system. I can't really do rear channels in my new house because of the room layout, even if I had the speakers mounted off poles coming down from the ceiling, they'd be in really awkward spots.

The other concern I have is HDMI switching the Apple TV, Switch, PC, BR player. I do also have a gaming PC that can do 4k @ 120hz, so I've got the HDCP 2.2 dumpster fire that I have no idea what is going on with. These two things are where having a receiver would be nice.

Is it worth buying a receiver and doing 3.1, or should I just do something like a soundbar?

I don't know how many receivers have it, but my Yamaha receiver has a setting for a 5.1 setup with all of them placed in front. For instance, the rear left and right speakers would just be further out from the front left and front right but on the same wall. I only have a 3 speaker setup though so I haven't been able to try this to know how it sounds.

In my opinion a receiver + 3.1 setup is still preferable over a soundbar. While some soundbars actually do sound good, they are extremely hit or miss, mostly miss, on how much control you have over the sound. Many have virtual surround sound processing enabled and that almost always sounds like garbage, and either you can't turn it off or it's that or flat sound. Another issue with soundbars is that almost all of them lack the ability to receive 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed sound and compressed audio typically means there will be some degree of audio lag. Not a big issue for TV and film, but with video games, any audio delay is noticeable.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Another issue with soundbars is that almost all of them lack the ability to receive 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed sound and compressed audio typically means there will be some degree of audio lag. Not a big issue for TV and film, but with video games, any audio delay is noticeable.

Hrm, that's kind of a killer for me. I might go with something like the Yamaha v4a then.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Munkaboo posted:

My PC does though.

Then you probably want something like the Yamaha RX-V4A or equivalent models from Onkyo or Denon that can support 4k 120hz / 8k 60hz. Make sure you are getting one that has been manufactured more recently as it will have the proper HDMI chipset. Otherwise you will have to send it in to Yamaha for a free upgrade so it can do 4k 120hz. Denon / Onyko just sent you an adapter of some sort iirc.

After that I guess you have ~1000 left for a 3.1 set up since you mentioned reusing your logitech satellites for surrounds. I think getting a cheap pair of speakers for the surrounds would be a better option though. I had a z5500 too and thought about reusing some of the speakers but was told that probably wasn't great. Not that it would damage anything, just that even the cheaper bookshelf / surround speakers would be way better.
Emotiva Airmotiv B1+ / matching center seem to be quite highly regarded. I've also heard good things about the JBL stage series, Jamos S803 and the Sony SSCS5(maybe get a pair of these for your surrounds).
For subs, I have a Dayton Audio sub1200 and I think it's great, but I heard people here don't like it so maybe someone will have a better suggestion.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 28, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Current Yamaha models are hardware limits to 24gbps which supports certain specific functions of “4k120” but not wide support. Also most of the good 2.1 features are “coming soon via update.”

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

I'm aiming for the Costco Denon 760h right now. 450 and has 2.1 support.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Do I need to do something special to get multi channel audio from Windows 11? The only games that work so far, my connection is RTX 3080 -> LG CX -> Denon X1700H are Atmos enabled ones, for all others it just says stereo on the display of my receiver.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Munkaboo posted:

I'm aiming for the Costco Denon 760h right now. 450 and has 2.1 support.

Looks like we finally may be getting our stuff out of storage. Are these easy to find at Costcos?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I got a deal on an Open Box Vizio Elevate bar last Spring and I'm really close to just ditching it when Tax Return season comes by.

There's an ungodly annoying habit of dropping audio and having to go through my B9's audio settings to toggle eARC on and off. There's an audible pop/crackle every time the format changes (including going from station to station OTA). And occasionally the sub/rears will lose signal and emit a high pitched whine for a few seconds.

The sub is nice and the system is pretty drat nice when dialed in but it can be a pain if you're just chilling in couch potato mode.

Almost enough trouble to get me in a 3.1 setup :aaa:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Incessant Excess posted:

Do I need to do something special to get multi channel audio from Windows 11? The only games that work so far, my connection is RTX 3080 -> LG CX -> Denon X1700H are Atmos enabled ones, for all others it just says stereo on the display of my receiver.

This is the most succinct guide for what I think will help:

Download Custom Resolution Utility

On the drop down list at the top, select the TV with sytem plugged in (it should be marked as active)

On "extension block" slots there should be a CTA-861 - xyz detailed resolutions - xyz data blocks or something like that - select it and click edit

now select audio format and click edit

select LPCM > edit and check all sample rates and channels.

click OK > OK > Ok.

Reboot or run restart.exe from the CRU download. This will restart your graphics adapter.

Also you may be able to tweak it with the old system setting options:

https://www.windowsdigitals.com/how-to-open-old-sound-settings-in-windows-11/

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I'm crossposting from the megathread, since this is our "first home audio system":

My father-in-law died last week, and he left all of his audio equipment to my wife. There's a lot of stuff so here's a list of the things I identified as valuable.

Bowers and Wilkins HTM4S center channel speaker
A pair of Bowers and Wilkins 804S tower speakers
A pair Bowers and Wilkins Solid HCM2 satellite speakers
Bang and Olafsen TX2 record player
Pro-Ject RPM5 record player
Nakamichi RX-202 unidirectional auto reverse cassette player
Yamaha CDV-W901 CD and Laserdisc player (he had a few laserdisc movies too, can't wait to watch Jurassic Park)
Oppo BDP-105 bluray player
Yamaha RX-V870 receiver
Yamaha RX-V2065 receiver
Proton 300 AM/FM receiver
McIntosh MX119 a/v control center
McIntosh MC205 power amplifier
McIntosh MC275 power amplifier

Hey everyone, thanks for the setup tips years ago. I just bought a new LG C1 65" TV to upgrade the old Sony Bravia, and was wondering if now is the time to update to a modern receiver. The Sony RX-V2065 still sounds great, but is limited with 1.3 HDMI and 1080P.

Current setup is this:

55" Sony Bravia TV
  • HDMI 1: Chromecast
  • HDMI 2: Fire Stick
  • HDMI 3: Xfinity Dongle
  • HDMI 4: Yamaha RX-V2065 receiver
  • Optical out: audio to receiver

The Yamaha RX-V2065 switches between the TV, Oppo BDP-105, and Project record player, and sends signal to the McIntosh MC205 that powers the Bowers and Wilkins L/R and Center.

The new TV's SmartTV apps will probably replace all of the streaming dongles, so I'm wondering if I should go grab a modern A/V receiver? The Denon S760H seems to be the hot entry level AVR. I'm not worried about the power difference (130w x 7 Yamaha vs 75w x 7 Denon) since the McIntosh is handling the audio. I can always relegate the Yamaha to an audio only setup with spare speakers I have.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 1, 2021

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Munkaboo posted:

Thinking about replacing my still functioning Z-5500 setup from many moons ago.

Ive got an LG C9 so a receiver that can do 4k 120hz is important. I've got a PS5 and also will be running a cable from my PC for VRR/ 4K Gaming.

Id say my total budget is between $1000-1500.

My room is relatively small and my couch is backed up against the wall, so anything beyond 5.1 is probably a waste.

The kicker is what to do about my PC setup. It's on an opposite side of the wall so I think I'll just continue running basic 2.1s off those and rock headphones when I need serious gaming.

Any recommendations? I'll probably just use my Logitech satellites for the rear speakers.

I ended up buying the Denon S760H 7.2ch HDMI 2.1 receiver from Costco: https://www.costco.com/denon-avr-s760h-7.2ch-8k-av-receiver.product.100774339.html

Now I need to buy the Sub, Center, and L/R speakers.

Here was what Iw as thinking:

Sub: BIC America F12 (it's $360 for some dumb reason on Amazon so I'll wait)
Sub option #2: SVS SB-1000 12" ($450 on sale)
R/L: JBL 530
C: JBL 520CBK
R/L Option #2: Klipsch R-41PM
C Option #2: Klipsch RP-250C

Is that receiver enough to drive all of these options?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Need some crossover opinions, where should I set it for a pair of R-820Fs? My guess is around 80hz from looking at where it starts to drop off in this test https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...ents&Itemid=153
The actual range klipsch lists is "35Hz - 21kHz +/- 3dB"

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

brand engager posted:

Need some crossover opinions, where should I set it for a pair of R-820Fs? My guess is around 80hz from looking at where it starts to drop off in this test https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...ents&Itemid=153
The actual range klipsch lists is "35Hz - 21kHz +/- 3dB"

Klipsch quotes in-room frequency response which, while technically more accurate to what you'll experience, makes comparing speakers with them loving annoying. I'd cross them at 80 and forget about it, it'll sound great.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Munkaboo posted:

I ended up buying the Denon S760H 7.2ch HDMI 2.1 receiver from Costco: https://www.costco.com/denon-avr-s760h-7.2ch-8k-av-receiver.product.100774339.html

Now I need to buy the Sub, Center, and L/R speakers.

Here was what Iw as thinking:

Sub: BIC America F12 (it's $360 for some dumb reason on Amazon so I'll wait)
Sub option #2: SVS SB-1000 12" ($450 on sale)
R/L: JBL 530
C: JBL 520CBK
R/L Option #2: Klipsch R-41PM
C Option #2: Klipsch RP-250C

Is that receiver enough to drive all of these options?

Yes. You said you were in a small room so power won't be a problem at all. Even a mid sized room that's almost certainly enough unless you really want to listen to things loud. The receiver will also not have any problems with 6 or 8 ohm speakers.

For Subs, the BIC is good for a budget sub(but overpriced at 360), but the SVS is really good. I'd get the SVS if you can swing it.

e: Get the JBLs. The entry level Klipsch speakers are known for being bright / having boosted higher frequencies. Some people really don't like it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 1, 2021

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yes. You said you were in a small room so power won't be a problem at all. Even a mid sized room that's almost certainly enough unless you really want to listen to things loud. The receiver will also not have any problems with 6 or 8 ohm speakers.

For Subs, the BIC is good for a budget sub(but overpriced at 360), but the SVS is really good. I'd get the SVS if you can swing it.

e: Get the JBLs. The entry level Klipsch speakers are known for being bright / having boosted higher frequencies. Some people really don't like it.

Cool I'll get the SVS.

Im not tied to the JBLs.

Anything else I should look at for <$400 for the C/L/R speakers?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Munkaboo posted:

Not that I can think of. Maybe consider front or rear porting on the speaker itself? Hopefully someone can chime in with a better explanation but iirc rear ported speakers produce more bass closer to the wall while front ported basically don't have to take that into consideration. Front ported bookshelves tend to be a bit taller though since they gotta fit something else on the front.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Munkaboo posted:

Cool I'll get the SVS.

Im not tied to the JBLs.

If you can stretch your budget a tiny bit, KEF Q series is similarly on sale, with the 150 coming in at $350/pair. Much nicer looking speakers than the JBL 5xx series (JBL needs some better finishing options, at least).

I’d also recommend putting stuff from Elac, Jamo, etc, JBL Stage, etc, there. If you go down a price tier, you could potentially get small floorstanders for your R/L to really fill in the space between the speakers and sub.

Also worth pointing out—and maybe this is a bit too much audio nerd ranting—but 90% of center channels are too small to really do voices/dialogue (the main purpose of a center channel) justice. They are mainly constrained by interior design/budget trends (ie has to fit in/on an entertainment unit, can’t cost much more than a single R/L speaker, etc). KEF and JBL are (often) notable exceptions to this trend but 90% of the time the biggest a center channel gets is something with 4”-5.25” drivers.

This is a TLDR way of saying that if you’re really budget and space constrained, I would encourage you to maybe nix the center channel for now and to put the money and space savings toward getting the biggest/best front two channels that you can afford. You might find that a beefy 2.1 is more than enough for the cinematic effect, and you can always add a compatible center in the future if you think it’s missing.

But like, I would personally much rather have two floorstanders and a sub (or two), than two much smaller bookshelf speakers, a small center, and a sub for the same money.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

If you’re using a subwoofer crossed over at 80 hertz, port noise isn’t nearly as much of an issue. If the speakers are rear ported, definitely don’t have them right against the wall, but a 6” or so gap should be plenty.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Here's my setup... notice I dont have a good place for the Center :( The space between the top of the TV stand and the TV is only about 4 inches, so not many Center speakers will fit there.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Munkaboo posted:

Here's my setup... notice I dont have a good place for the Center :( The space between the top of the TV stand and the TV is only about 4 inches, so not many Center speakers will fit there.

What’s behind the curtain? Any chance you could wall mount a center speaker above the TV?
That’s what I did and it worked really well even though the LCR were not perfectly in line vertically. A speaker designed to be the center channel will usually be front ported to sound good when mounted, but make sure of it before you buy. The ear can’t really pick up height very well so you will not notice.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

What’s behind the curtain? Any chance you could wall mount a center speaker above the TV?
That’s what I did and it worked really well even though the LCR were not perfectly in line vertically. A speaker designed to be the center channel will usually be front ported to sound good when mounted, but make sure of it before you buy. The ear can’t really pick up height very well so you will not notice.

The curtain stops at the tv actually. The picture makes it look like it goes across the wall.

How would I make sure it sounds good mounted? Would the JBL 320c be ok?

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 3, 2021

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

The difference in cost between Amazon and JBL is nuts:

520c JBL $90 - https://www.jbl.com/STUDIO+520CBK.h...1a82abe0a82b824
520c Amazon $135 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00622SUHK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2A0A82IF8JRE6&psc=1

530 JBL $250 - https://www.jbl.com/STUDIO+530BK.ht...381f9d80a82b82d
530 Amazon $370 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00622STI0/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A3RZCQNI3YHCOG&psc=1

Okay Amazon... Thank you to the Capital One shoppers chrome extension for letting me know I could save like $200+ by just buying from JBL directly (apparently I also get 25% cash back when using my capital one card) </commercial>

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 3, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Munkaboo posted:

The curtain stops at the tv actually. The picture makes it look like it goes across the wall.

How would I make sure it sounds good mounted? Would the JBL 320c be ok?

Can't find any speaker named 320c, sorry.

Look at the picture of the back of the 520c. Next to the connectors, see that hole? That's called a port. It lets air escape out the back, so the speaker elements (woofers) can move freely without having to work on compressing the air inside the box.
If you mounted that speaker on a wall, you'd cover the port completly. There would be a vacuum (underpressure) as the woofers try to move outwards and an overpressure as they try to move inwards. So, the woofers would now have to do a lot more work to make any sound. The result would be muddled bass and too much treble (since the tweeters are not impeded as much by the port being covered).

What you need is a center that is sealed (without a port), or has its ports facing forward. This kind of speakers will often also have telltale screw holes on the back, for wall mounting.

I'm not able to give specific recommendations but here are two examples:

Front-facing port:https://www.dali-speakers.com/discontinued/zensor/zensor-vokal/

Sealed: https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STAGE+A125C.html?dwvar_STAGE%20A125C_color=Black-USA-Current&cgid=loudspeakers

Edit: BTW, kudos for checking the price directly from the manufacturer. Most people don't even notice how Amazon screws everyone over. In the interest of supporting the producers, please continue shopping directly...

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Dec 3, 2021

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Can't find any speaker named 320c, sorry.

Look at the picture of the back of the 520c. Next to the connectors, see that hole? That's called a port. It lets air escape out the back, so the speaker elements (woofers) can move freely without having to work on compressing the air inside the box.
If you mounted that speaker on a wall, you'd cover the port completly. There would be a vacuum (underpressure) as the woofers try to move outwards and an overpressure as they try to move inwards. So, the woofers would now have to do a lot more work to make any sound. The result would be muddled bass and too much treble (since the tweeters are not impeded as much by the port being covered).

What you need is a center that is sealed (without a port), or has its ports facing forward. This kind of speakers will often also have telltale screw holes on the back, for wall mounting.

I'm not able to give specific recommendations but here are two examples:

Front-facing port:https://www.dali-speakers.com/discontinued/zensor/zensor-vokal/

Sealed: https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STAGE+A125C.html?dwvar_STAGE%20A125C_color=Black-USA-Current&cgid=loudspeakers

Edit: BTW, kudos for checking the price directly from the manufacturer. Most people don't even notice how Amazon screws everyone over. In the interest of supporting the producers, please continue shopping directly...

Great info thanks. I don't think I'd mount it, I'd just let it sit on a shelf mounted on the wall with some space between it and the wall.

Although I think I'll just bring in my other tv stand and solve the problem that way :)

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Munkaboo posted:

The difference in cost between Amazon and JBL is nuts:

520c JBL $90 - https://www.jbl.com/STUDIO+520CBK.h...1a82abe0a82b824
520c Amazon $135 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00622SUHK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2A0A82IF8JRE6&psc=1

530 JBL $250 - https://www.jbl.com/STUDIO+530BK.ht...381f9d80a82b82d
530 Amazon $370 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00622STI0/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A3RZCQNI3YHCOG&psc=1

Okay Amazon... Thank you to the Capital One shoppers chrome extension for letting me know I could save like $200+ by just buying from JBL directly (apparently I also get 25% cash back when using my capital one card) </commercial>

Interesting, the Amazon listing is by JBL so I guess they just didn't apply their sale to Amazon, only their website. Also seems to be free shipping from their website too.

I'll have to remember to check direct manufacturer in future before buying stuff.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The speaker is on Amazon to capture the audience that will type "speaker" into Amazon and sort by rating to choose something. It's on their website for people who specifically want that brand and they can afford to do bigger sales because Amazon isn't taking a cut.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

It’s not ideal, but a slim center channel under the tv could work:

https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STAGE+A135C.html

Am I a big fan of multiple tiny drivers in place of a single larger one? No.

Would I personally choose a slim center over a phantom center? Yes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't know why nobody has made a center channel with the low frequency drivers lying down flat and use porting to direct the sound. A center could be like a foot and a half deep and nobody would really have an issue with it.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

falz posted:

Interesting, the Amazon listing is by JBL so I guess they just didn't apply their sale to Amazon, only their website. Also seems to be free shipping from their website too.

I'll have to remember to check direct manufacturer in future before buying stuff.

Not only that, but some CC companies give bigger rewards back with stuff like this. My Capital One card gives 25%! rewards back.

edit: actually I guess it isnt my credit card, it's through https://capitaloneshopping.com/home

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 3, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

TheMadMilkman posted:

Would I personally choose a slim center over a phantom center? Yes.
And I'm the person who would do the opposite, provided I could position my LR properly.

KillHour posted:

I don't know why nobody has made a center channel with the low frequency drivers lying down flat and use porting to direct the sound. A center could be like a foot and a half deep and nobody would really have an issue with it.
Ports aren't good for midbass frequencies you can pinpoint like human voices. Some companies try with passive radiators. There used to be more "stand" style soundbars that were super deep to get more cabinet volume but I don't think they ever sold well because they've almost disappeared from the market.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

TheMadMilkman posted:

It’s not ideal, but a slim center channel under the tv could work:

https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STAGE+A135C.html

I have this center speaker, and it's great.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Got my Denon S760H all hooked up! I have eArc connected between my TV (LG C9 OLED) and the receiver, then an HDMI connected via Aux 1 to my PC. At first my audio was skipping and popping. I enabled G-Sync then switched my speaker setup on my PC to 5.1 and that seemed to fix it...

Started playing Rocket League and every 2-3 minutes the audio will just stop for a second or two then resume. Any ideas what it could be

Update: Bought HDMI cables rated for 48gbs and not 20 like my old cables. Then turned on 8K Enhanced mode on my receiver and no more issues!

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 5, 2021

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I have a Akai AA1020 receiver that I want to replace with something a bit smaller and since I only use it with my turntable wanted to just go for the bare minimum to power my speakers and bluetooth for my phone. I've asked around and keep getting directing to mini amps but they all seem incredibly hit/miss with build quality being all over the place.

I was looking at the Pro-Ject Phono Box E MM as my pre-amp, should I just pair that up with a S2 BT? The Stereo Box DS2 seems like it would be perfect but it's €850 :( I was hoping to spent around €300 on this.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

What speakers/how efficient? The Chinese amps are pretty hit/miss but the ones with the Infineon chip are pretty well regarded. There’s also the NAD D 3020 or if you’re cool with full size but slim there’s other cheap NAD and Cambridge ones. Maybe check audiophonics.fr, they have tons and are located in Europe so probably less chance of shipping issues. You might need an outboard phono preamp but those can be pretty cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I've just got a modest Realistic Minimus 7w but I swapped the woofer for Dayton ND105-8. That's the main reason I was looking at the Phono Box, just a pre-amp to give me more options since a phono stage adds a bit of a premium.