Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

regarding D&D character creators from last page...

yeah that other thing that made this triggered memory so interesting to me is that it sort of proves that WOTC had been trying to do computer-assisted tools for their D&D for a while now, and is just another point in favor of "4e was not a huge deviation from the norm"

as you said, if anything, 3.5 was, since it was the one that didn't have a similar toolset compared to 3.0 or even AD&D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah that other thing that made this triggered memory so interesting to me is that it sort of proves that WOTC had been trying to do computer-assisted tools for their D&D for a while now, and is just another point in favor of "4e was not a huge deviation from the norm"

as you said, if anything, 3.5 was, since it was the one that didn't have a similar toolset compared to 3.0 or even AD&D

The key point for me is a never-ending cycle of creating a tool, having it actually work on release, and then abandoning it, and then starting from scratch in a few years. Over and over and over. Their game tools don't fail because they're bad, or because customers don't want them: they're just failed, by the company. One time it was because of a murder-suicide, but even in that case, the lack of access or redundancy to the source code repository by its corporate owner was extremely negligent, and the company at that moment absolutely had enough revenue to pay for a software house to recover or resuscitate what was already there, rather than starting over (on the Silverlight platform, lol).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Lord that has to be one of the most grim divergence points in the history of the medium

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Splicer posted:

It's not just RPGs. Most mainstream fiction features reactive heroes vs proactive villains. To go full Wendy's, it's a symptom of most of the real problems in the world (and fake problems in fictional worlds) being systemic issues that the author and the industry that supports them have no real problems with, or don't even think of questioning. Kill the bad usurper to put the rightful and just king back on the throne - good. Kill all the nobility because monarchy is an inherently unfair system - that's a "villain plan" that the heroes react to and prevent. Blow up an oil pipeline that only a couple dozen rich people want and everyone else thinks is a bad idea? Well your heart is in the right place but you're going too far, you should work within the system to solve this issue. Actual meaningful change within the "good" empire is not really a narrative priority.

I think that's overstating it and mixing two different things: blowing up an oil pipeline is typically a reactive action for a hero to take, because it's typically going to be done in response to some villain taking the initiative to build a pipeline. Similarly it's not even a systematic issue, because the systematic issue is that people can just go and build oil pipelines while loving over other people, not that there's a pipeline. Blowing up a pipeline isn't systematic change, it's just going to cost some rich person millions and cause long-term environmental damage.

Even stories about trying to enact systematic change are often presented as the hero reacting to something already in progress by discovering some injustice and deciding to right a wrong that's been made. Reactive heroes and proactive villains isn't about authors all supporting the status quo against systematic change, it's just a very convenient narrative device.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
“You see, the only thing the good people are good at is overthrowing the bad people. And you're good at that, I'll grant you. But the trouble is it's the only thing you're good at. One day it's the ringing of the bells and the casting down of the evil tyrant, and the next it's everyone sitting around complaining that ever since the tyrant was overthrown no one's been taking out the trash. Because the bad people know how to plan. It's part of the specification, you might say. Every evil tyrant has a plan to rule the world. The good people don't seem to have the knack.”
— Terry Pratchett

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"Realistically", getting rid of The Evil System can be accomplished via a short period of violence and destruction in which lots of people die, and quite often what replaces The Evil System is no better or maybe a lot worse; but, the alternative - multi-generational social and political change as a broad swathe of people gradually push for and achieve incremental improvements - is deeply unsatisfying for those who are suffering right now.

But games aren't (or don't have to be) about "realistically." Games are often just escapist fantasy. And if we want to participate in unrealistic but satisfying escapism, why not have an RPG where a ragtag band of heroes can overthrow The Evil System and have a bright clean new future where things work out great?

I'm not sure how healthy of a fantasy that is, but a lot of our fantasies are really unhealthy anyway, so it's not that different from the rest. We're still mostly fantasizing about heroic violence and that's not very healthy either.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

A design obstacle is that RPGs tend to be designed to last indefinitely. Broken Spire is very, very designed around an end: you kill the bad guy and how good you kill him determines how smoothly power transitions to your new normal. More games could do this but it clashes with the open-ended mindset that many systems prefer.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

How many Republics/Empires/Dynasties did France go through in two centuries? Not thaaat crazy, when executed well.
Between ten and twentyish depending on how you count them. Though most of those changes were the result of foreign invasion or the monarchy being restored and then a revolution against the new monarch. Galt has been stuck in Committee of Public Safety mode for 50 years somehow. With the somehow evidently being magic evil worm.
eugenics dragon- It took the devs a really long time to just use him as an actual bad guy rather than a weird unexamined setting element.
The child molestor mechanics are the daemon Folca who gives powers that require child abuse to activate
The last one is that Phrenology is a psychic skill in Pathfinder 1st ed.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
As flawed as Godbound may be, me and my group have gotten a lot of mileage out of it in our Dark Sun campaign. The system and advancement mechanics require PCs to be proactive forces for change, but those changes themselves create new problems within the world, creating hooks for future sessions, and this works really well in a setting like Dark Sun where you have entrenched, reactionary forces whose control you have to break to make the world a better place.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tulip posted:

A design obstacle is that RPGs tend to be designed to last indefinitely. Broken Spire is very, very designed around an end: you kill the bad guy and how good you kill him determines how smoothly power transitions to your new normal. More games could do this but it clashes with the open-ended mindset that many systems prefer.

Not disagreeing with you, but it’s worth keeping in mind that this is circular : we assume games should have long campaigns because they do and then (some) people complain if they don’t. I think a lot more games should focus on tight play loops that concentrate on delivering the kinds of experience they set out to have and not worry cause some rando whines that a game designed for one shots doesn’t have extensive options for character advancement.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Between ten and twentyish depending on how you count them. Though most of those changes were the result of foreign invasion or the monarchy being restored and then a revolution against the new monarch. Galt has been stuck in Committee of Public Safety mode for 50 years somehow. With the somehow evidently being magic evil worm.

eugenics dragon- It took the devs a really long time to just use him as an actual bad guy rather than a weird unexamined setting element.
The child molestor mechanics are the daemon Folca who gives powers that require child abuse to activate
The last one is that Phrenology is a psychic skill in Pathfinder 1st ed.

Wow, you just reminded me of Eberron's House Vadalis, who are basically running a eugenics program for breeding the best magical mounts/monstrosities... which includes wildshaping into the animals to gently caress them for added intelligence

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xiahou Dun posted:

Not disagreeing with you, but it’s worth keeping in mind that this is circular : we assume games should have long campaigns because they do and then (some) people complain if they don’t. I think a lot more games should focus on tight play loops that concentrate on delivering the kinds of experience they set out to have and not worry cause some rando whines that a game designed for one shots doesn’t have extensive options for character advancement.

this is sort of parallel to the Pathfinder discussion in the Industry thread, but it's kinda funny that a lot of Paizo organized play taps out at level 12 because the writers generally understood that that was about as high as you can go before players (read: casters) can really start to derail poo poo and people just generally went along with it

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

change my name posted:

Wow, you just reminded me of Eberron's House Vadalis, who are basically running a eugenics program for breeding the best magical mounts/monstrosities... which includes wildshaping into the animals to gently caress them for added intelligence

:catstare: I wasn't aware of that particular bit of lore

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Asterite34 posted:

:catstare: I wasn't aware of that particular bit of lore

I learned this after rolling up a Mark of Handling Ranger for an Eberron game and had to read the wiki, thanks guys

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Yeesh, and I felt like a creep for taking that Exalted feat that says you hosed a dryad.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is sort of parallel to the Pathfinder discussion in the Industry thread, but it's kinda funny that a lot of Paizo organized play taps out at level 12 because the writers generally understood that that was about as high as you can go before players (read: casters) can really start to derail poo poo and people just generally went along with it

thankfully paizo went to great lengths to actually fix this in 2e, it's real nice

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

That's why I said "when executed well". A country in a 50+ year long regime instability can be good fodder for stories and adventures.

Hell, an eternal revolution land could work as a Ravenloft Domain.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 30, 2021

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's why U said "when executed well". A countyr in a 50+ year long regime instability can be good fodder for stories and adventures.

Every day the noble wakes up knowing they'll be facing the guillotine by evening, they just don't know who'll do it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's why U said "when executed well". A countyr in a 50+ year long regime instability can be good fodder for stories and adventures.

Yeah that's fair.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The "Eugenics Dragon" actually looks like an interesting lore. It's hosed up but it makes sense that a Dragon (a creature that can destroy an entire city like we can do to an anthill) would see us like we see lesser animals such as dogs and horses and try to make a "better breed" of us.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Plutonis posted:

The "Eugenics Dragon" actually looks like an interesting lore. It's hosed up but it makes sense that a Dragon (a creature that can destroy an entire city like we can do to an anthill) would see us like we see lesser animals such as dogs and horses and try to make a "better breed" of us.

Yeah, paizo's been pretty good about building onto golarion lots of fun things that are only really gonna come to fruition years down the line. something like Mengkare (the "eugenics dragon") hanging around as a plothook for years is just good writing for the PCs to gently caress with, not some terrible assault on decency.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Was that something from the early days? A lot of the stuff from the first couple of years of Pathfinder leaned really heavily into the "Too edgy 4 u" vein before they eventually pivoted to a more inclusivity-focused brand image. It sounds like something that would be in line with the Hills Have Eyes-style hillbilly rapist ogres and other early PF weirdness.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KingKalamari posted:

Was that something from the early days? A lot of the stuff from the first couple of years of Pathfinder leaned really heavily into the "Too edgy 4 u" vein before they eventually pivoted to a more inclusivity-focused brand image. It sounds like something that would be in line with the Hills Have Eyes-style hillbilly rapist ogres and other early PF weirdness.

No, it was in the Book of the Damned hardcover, polished up from the Book of the Damned III softcover. Folca was a daemon harbinger so it fit, but it was also just "can we not do this in a D&D game?"

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

My problems come down a lot more to how James Sutter, the original creative owner of the character, talked about Mengkare than what actually made it to print after Sutter left Paizo. Namely an insistence that the dragon was in fact good and not at all evil.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Halloween Jack posted:

Serious question: replace ability scores with what? Just skills?
I really appreciate the replies I got to this. It's taken me this long to respond since I've been busy with F&F and collecting my thoughts on it.

Splicer posted:

Specifically in the case of D&D 5E? Skills and class choices. In 5e you pick a race a class a background and an archetype, that's a huge range of interactions to determine your to-hit, damage, saves, AC, initiative, and very good/good/OK/bad skills. Ability scores actually interfere with this. I've picked a warlock with the academic background and chosen arcana as a proficient skill, why do I also need to put points into intelligence to get my +5 to Know Demon Stuff? I've already picked Know Demon Stuff three times!
I know this pain very well. There are several concepts I wanted to try in 4e that didn't work out mechanically, because (for example) having DEX/INT or CHA/WIS as your best scores is a disadvantage because of how saves work. And you have the problem of a mage not being especially good at Arcana or a priest not being especially good at Religion because INT is a dump stat for their particular class, and so on.

When D&D, Pathfinder, and similar games have you picking a race, class, background, and other stuff which then gets "filtered" through ability scores before arriving at final skill totals, the ability scores are really not necessary.

GimpInBlack posted:

As an example, if a fighter needs a +4 Strength bonus to hit to be effective within the system's math, and additionally has various special abilities that key off of, say, Dex and Wisdom, instead of making it so that a player who puts less than an 18 in Strength and less than, say, 15 and 13 in either Dex or Wis, you can just say "Fighters get a +4 bonus to attack and damage; additionally, they allocate a +3 and a +1 between (ability set A) and (ability set B)." Then you can either ditch ability scores altogether, or use them in other ways such that your character's natural proclivities are a matter of roleplaying and characterization rather than all fighters needing to be pretty identical to function.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

there are two interesting/positive uses for ability scores imo, neither of which are well-matched to ability scores as a mechanic

one is a way to narratively describe your character relative to other characters -- what are they like, what are they good at, and so on -- in a manner that specifically reflects what qualities are important to the game. ability scores are bad at this both because they represent a sort of universalized attempt to classify all important human characteristics (far too general, and therefore practically meaningless) and also because there are some really dumb or even offensive assumptions about how those characteristics work (e.g. generalized intelligence)

i honestly don't care what you replace this part with in a D&D-like game. if you held a gun to my head and told me to choose i'd probably suggest a loosely interpreted background / career system that doesn't intersect with combat mechanics at all
The kind of system GIP describes is ultimately what I want. For a game in the D&D mold where combat is expected to be a major part of play (even if it's to be avoided), I would rather cleave combat mechanics away from noncombat mechanics completely, and not have a set of ability scores that govern effectiveness at both of them. I'm not completely sure how to do that, though.

Like in D&D 4e, your primary ability score will add to most/all of your attacks as well as several skills. You'll then choose some kind of subclass, which is effectively choosing a secondary ability score, which affects several skill totals as well as rider effects on combat powers. You have to choose between having a 20 (+5) in your primary stat and being more well-rounded; maybe you'll put a 12 (+1) in some tertiary score for the sake of your HP, or initiative, or to qualify for a feat or some other complicated reason.

I wonder if these choices are really meaningful, and if so, how to present them to players. Ability scores manage that process, but in a haphazard way that's bad for all the reasons we've discussed, especially when players are already making several thematic choices during character creation that then get "filtered" through ability scores. (It seems to me that the biggest problem is that it's paradoxical--there are theoretically infinite possibilities, but only a handful that are actually good, so a system designed to give you options ends up enforcing sameness. If you wanted all 3rd-level rogues to be basically identical, you could just play Brown Box D&D and save a lot of time.)

And on the other hand, there are very different ways to approach the D&D ruleset, like in the Black Hack: You only roll ability scores. 3-18 ability scores are meaningful because it's roll-under on a d20. Skills are replaced by character traits that either give you advantage (roll twice take best) or don't.

This leads to another observation: In games that don't have classes or something like it, basic ability scores are the classes. If a player can't pick Rogue, they'll choose the stats that make them a good thief. The problem with most games that do this is that the ability scores are designed to be realistic, not thematic. No one puts points in Constitution because they plan to get beaten up and drink poison a whole lot.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is a good example, and really so is anything where the power-level starts getting in the way of storytelling in general*, but not specifically what I had in mind.

I was thinking about like horror games and how so often they have tacked-on advancement mechanics that are at best orthogonal to their themes. There’s a very good reason why most (good) horror stories don’t have sequels** and some of the best horror is done in short stories. Horror is a strong spice and works best in small, fresh doses that can utilize a certain amount of consensual lack of agency and suspense. Coming back to the exact same well but with a bigger bucket is antithetical to most horror storytelling, but we still get rules for The Descent II with level 5 spelunkers vs mecha-bat monsters because that’s what D&D did.

(One day I’ll stop being lazy and write my fiction-first horror storygame, because I’m deeply unsatisfied with everything on the market.)

*Although one of the reasons I’m a big fan/apologist for Mage : the Awakening is that I really like how some of the capabilities of the characters, even at character creation, obviate classical obstacles and lead to new directions.

**That don’t suck. I’m adding qualifiers specifically to rule out bullshit that cheapens the original story by extending it.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Yea, they don't think through much above level 12, which is a double problem when the first Fist of the Ruby Phoenix adventure starts at level 11. The amount of small print needed on the rules to account for what level 12 character could do in a battle royale was pretty ridiculous and I eventually had to fudge it as "actually, the GM-fiat-level demiplane creator who is running the tournament is an incredible sorceress but actually kinda sucks at running tournaments"

And Mengkare - was he in the setting before 2e? Because I only remember him as trying to collect talented humans to live together in order to kill them all with the Anima Invocation?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pathfinder 2e works fine in the higher levels tbh

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wasn't one of the Pathfinder leads really into Theosophism and trying to inject it in the game as much as possible?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wasn't one of the Pathfinder leads really into Theosophism and trying to inject it in the game as much as possible?
I think that was Eric Mona?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, Erik Mona is ultimately why Occult Adventures for Pathfinder 1e was full of Victorian occultism and orgone boxes and all that jazz. It's more of a "dipshit that doesn't know the things he likes are really iffy" vibe than "secretly Nazi-adjacent", but it's still... weird. At least the worst of those impulses seem to have been shaken out of 2e.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

regarding D&D character creators from last page...

The creator posted on the last page was, indeed, included on a CD-ROM with the 3.0 PHB. It looked good and worked well, so of course, we weren't allowed to keep it.

Core Rules was published by TSR in 1998, for 2nd edition AD&D; it contained a bunch of the rule books in RTF and Windows Help formats (lol) without art, but it also had a Key Topics file with hyperlinked rules reference - I believe that may have been the first of its kind. There was also a character generator included, and Map Maker II, which had campaign and dungeon mapping capabilities. There was also a dice roller and an encounter tool for figuring out monsters, treasure, etc..

in 1999, Core Rules II came out, adding about a dozen more books, updated programs including the ability to use custom character classes in the character creator, all of the original books from Core Rules I in HTML format, some dungeon furniture and interior stuff for Map Maker II, and more.

The two sets were remarkable in several ways, not least of them the value (which in turn is exemplary of the final days of TSR); they basically gave away several hundred dollars worth of D&D books, sans-art, in formats that were trivially-copyable. They also showed that it was possible to make and sell functional software supplements for D&D; I think that's halfway to why Wizards felt obliged to include a CD with a character creator and other tools in the first release of 3rd edition, for free.

And this was part of why folks were peeved with 3.5. OK, not only do we have to buy a new book, but there's no included tools? Just... none. gently caress it. Abandon that project after investing in it initially, instead of making the much less expensive incremental changes needed to support a new edition. We got no first-party software tools for 3.5. It sold well, there was money, it's hard to argue that it just wasn't feasible. The online 3.5 hyperlinked SRD was a big plus, in that it at least gave us a little bit of what we had for 2nd edition, but it was limited in scope.

I still have .iso backups of both of those around somewhere just because they were one of the best RPG software packages I've ever seen, right up to this day. Like, only Comp/Con is in the same league.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Theosophism is cool, I have an uncle who was on a weird rear end Thelema cult (Novo Aeon) during the late 70s but he lent me some of his books.

My problems come down a lot more to how James Sutter, the original creative owner of the character, talked about Mengkare than what actually made it to print after Sutter left Paizo. Namely an insistence that the dragon was in fact good and not at all evil.

That could be an interesting point, however. I'm going from the wiki but apparently the island only exiles those who fail the tests for staying into it, which makes the Dragon's action, as bizarre and unnerving as they are, not malicious or violent in nature and execution. Who knows, the freaking god-lizards might have a different view of morality!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

orgone boxes and all that jizz

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

drrockso20 posted:

All this talk of systemic change is reminding me of some posts over in the Goblin thread a while ago about Goblin Labor movements and how I started expanding that into a setting concept about a revolution among the underclasses against their overlords in what could be summed up as "Interdimensional Victorian British Empire but it's ruled by rear end in a top hat High Elves" that I should really start posting about somewhere cause it's a fun idea

I need to get back into my jungle exploring campaign where (one of) the antagonists are basically that.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Isn’t it weird how you do all that work to make a D&D character and then when you put the pencil down your character has basically the same derived stats (attack bonus, ac) as everyone else in the party?

Just print the to-hit-by-level table on the book!

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
But-but-but what if I want to make a Fighter who just sucks at everything for roleplay reasons? That thing that players totally want to do that doesn't make the game appreciably worse for almost everyone at the table?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well I want to play a Fighter who is incredibly buff but sucks at fighting nonetheless! :colbert:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My Fighter has a 17 strength while yours has a 16 which means I'll get More Number in just a few levels but you will have to wait a few more after that! I'll be mathematically better half the time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Siivola posted:

Well I want to play a Fighter who is incredibly buff but sucks at fighting nonetheless! :colbert:

"My strength is not for violence, friends. My calling... is bending bars and lifting gates."