Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
the no commentary longplay videos are great because the people making them know what they're doing. The way they tend to pace and move efficiently but not necessarily quickly through the game makes them really good to watch when I don't want to pay for a game. There's a really good Resident Evil 8 one I just watched over the past week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
RE8 sucks.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
good thing I watched that video and didn't pay for it then.

I liked the video though.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
I made crappy drunk playthroughs of random nes, 16 bit and n64 games, thinking about starting up again just lambasting peoples beloved childhood memories while being terrible at and cheating at random games, i dunno.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

i made morrowind lps as a drunk townie rear end in a top hat in Morrowind who knew everyone and was weary about it

'o yeah, fuckin Fargoth. one time in high school we brought him to hang out and put moon sugar in his mazte hahaha he puked everywhere."

*levitates over Snowy Granius* "oh yeah, old snowy just slams greef all day and guards this bridge. his kid died, it's hosed up, i just leave him alone. not his fault he's like this you know?."

It was fun to make but I just shared it with my friends

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

X JAKK posted:

I made crappy drunk playthroughs of random nes, 16 bit and n64 games, thinking about starting up again just lambasting peoples beloved childhood memories while being terrible at and cheating at random games, i dunno.

It hits different once you realize maybe you don't care.

Vic fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 4, 2021

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

!Klams posted:

I've said it before in this very thread, but it is weird how games are like the only media where to get all the content, you have to pass a skill check. Like if there was a book, and you got 'To read the final chapter, demonstrate an understanding of the central themes, and explain the significance of the conch' it would be kinda hosed up and potentially a bit classist. Like I get that games aren't as 'important' necessarily, but, y'know, all the same, it's sort of weird that someone without good aim doesn't get to see how the end of your favourite game* plays out.

I dunno I’ve seen people just completely bounce off of books not because it wasn’t their jam, but because they literally just couldn’t understand what was going on or it was too “complicated” or yes, their words, too “difficult” for them. But then we get into questions like “is reading ability a skill?” Or “When is it the authors fault and when is it the readers?” (Which is actually a question you can ask about game difficulty).

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

!Klams posted:

I've said it before in this very thread, but it is weird how games are like the only media where to get all the content, you have to pass a skill check.

But what about finnegans wake,

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Very strange and crazy how the only medium that is not only based around user input, but in fact literally the only one capable of factoring it, is also the only one which correlates user input to content! Big brain analysis here.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*Me inside a Pizza Hut*

Have you ever noticed that places which sell food and drink are the only public venues which really utilize the human sense of taste? They don't ask me to taste anything when I make a deposit at the bank, or buy a new tire for my car. How curious!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elentor posted:

If you pass the skill check you stop reading, so thats different

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I wish books would stop me reading if I was bad at reading them. I've read books where I had no clue what was going on but I still finished them because of toxic literacy. Didn't have any fun but got the cheevo I guess

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Meme Poker Party posted:

*Me inside a Pizza Hut*

Have you ever noticed that places which sell food and drink are the only public venues which really utilize the human sense of taste? They don't ask me to taste anything when I make a deposit at the bank, or buy a new tire for my car. How curious!

id definitely do more errands and chores if we got to taste stuff along the way

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Icochet posted:

I wish books would stop me reading if I was bad at reading them. I've read books where I had no clue what was going on but I still finished them because of toxic literacy. Didn't have any fun but got the cheevo I guess

Also something I have literally seen happen in real life.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

But enough about Immanuel Kant

Barudak posted:

I'll always remember Mr. Bibs on this forum apparently nearly died choking on a regular hotdog and thus swore them off forever

John Murdoch posted:

Tbf, he allegedly had some kind of legitimate medical problem.

Being a cat?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

galagazombie posted:

Also something I have literally seen happen in real life.

I've done it many times.

But you should probably wind down your surveillance ops at the library. They'll take away your card

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Re: screenshot LPs I'm gonna be honest writing one was one of the most painful experiences I had and I have expressed to chronic LPers I literally cannot understand how they can pump one screenshot LP after another.

Just a big fat "how?", "why??"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It probably gets easier with practice?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Elentor posted:

What about it? Nobody likes it

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Elentor posted:

It's the Dark Souls of literature, in that

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor J Off posted:

It's the Dark Souls of literature, in that

Thank you

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Just try and tell me that playing Drakengard and Deadly Premonition is a better experience than the SA LPs.

You get to see 100% of what the games have to offer without the hours of playing through the exact same content multiple times.

Elentor’s FF7 LP is good (even though I like playing the game) because the translation makes the story a lot harder to understand than it should be.

It’s also interesting to see how people from different countries relate to the story. I think what makes FF6, 7 and 10 so popular is that the stories have much more relevance to real-world issues than “we have to save the crystals that control the elements!” over and over again.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Elentor posted:

Re: screenshot LPs I'm gonna be honest writing one was one of the most painful experiences I had and I have expressed to chronic LPers I literally cannot understand how they can pump one screenshot LP after another.

Just a big fat "how?", "why??"

some people don't even enjoy video games, they just want something to post about

posting is the game

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Boom. Posted.

aceface
Dec 27, 2017

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
I started playing Final fantasy xv and I was like "I know I've seen this before somewhere" :thunk:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i'm playing through black mesa, and holy hell does half-life has some bad chapters in the middle. at least black mesa cut short the worst of the non-xen episodes (on a rail)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

https://i.imgur.com/fS2Qg2t.mp4

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

limp_cheese posted:

Old World is a better Civ game than Civ 6 or Humankind.

Sadly it is not a better Crusader Kings game.

Oh right, I forgot that Old World even existed. It got subsumed by Humankind in my mind, I should check it out.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

aceface posted:

I started playing Final fantasy xv and I was like "I know I've seen this before somewhere" :thunk:

drat I can't believe I'm not the only one who thought of that movie during that part.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

The weapon left hanging midair is a nice looney tunes touch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vic posted:

The weapon left hanging midair is a nice looney tunes touch.

I know right?

A large part of the fun in BotW is basically 'Nintendo licensed a physics engine'.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I'm not creative enough to come up with stuff like that on my own but it does add so much to the world, it's unbelievable.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Rutibex posted:

JRPGs are video game anime. everyone likes one or two animes, it only becomes shameful when you exclusively like anime. same with jrpgs

Don’t you put your weird pervert cartoon poo poo on me

Anime: not even once

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bum the Sad posted:

Don’t you put your weird pervert cartoon poo poo on me

Anime: not even once

You literally play video games, shut the gently caress up weeb

e: imagine playing Witcher 3 and being like "I don't tolerate perverted cartoons" lol

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 5, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Haha you like thing

You idiot, you fool

Also RE2 Remake is the best resident evil no question

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

QuarkJets posted:

You literally play video games, shut the gently caress up weeb

e: imagine playing Witcher 3 and being like "I don't tolerate perverted cartoons" lol
I’ve exclusively been playing the same copy of Putt-Putt Goes To The Moon for the last thirty years you deviant.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

puttfucker

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Putt putt is my dude. The one where he goes to the zoo taught me a lot about life. When he joined the parade I made him all sorts of different colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Hell yeah