Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My first Warehouse monitor looked brand new (the box less so). The second one had a cracked screen. I had some trouble returning that second one, but I think it was just a system fuckup.

I haven't looked at the refreshed LG lineup much. Does the 27GP850 justify its price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
i couldn't stand the flat panel of the M32Q so now i have a Samsung 32" Odyssey G7 coming :nyoron:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Toe Rag posted:

OK, so I actually just tried out the KVM with both the Mac mini and the HP ZBook on the Philips monitor, and it works with the Mac, but not with the HP; it doesn't work with either on the LG, so I might have more than one problem.

The Mac is Thunderbolt 3 while the HP is Thunderbolt 4. However, some additional Googling implies that 3 and 4 are compatible, and the KVM I have says it is "fully Thunderbolt 3 compatible." It shows up as USB 2, though...

In case anyone cares (no one cares), my problem was because my cables were just USB-C, not Thunderbolt 3/4. I know the Thunderbolt cables are "active" but I thought USB-C was as well and just assumed they were hardware-compatible and the difference would just be whichever protocol was running over it :o:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, the USB cable situation is hosed and only gonna get worse with USB4/TB4. The standardized connector implies that everything is gonna be backwards and forwards compatible, and it aint. Fun!!

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Rinkles posted:

I haven't looked at the refreshed LG lineup much. Does the 27GP850 justify its price?

I was following this post, seemed like the best IPS/1440p/180hz deal on BF:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

LG is getting in on the black friday sales with the 27GP850 for $377: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093MTSTKD?tag=rtings-mn-p-amazon-20&ie=UTF8&th=1

This is the latest entry in their nano IPS ultragear lineup, and their best 1440p monitor. It normally sells for between $450 and $500. Compared to the M27Q, it has regular RGB subpixels, goes up to 180Hz, and has noticeably faster response times, giving it best-in-class motion clarity. Only 240+ Hz monitors look clearer, and even then only barely since those tend to have trouble achieving lower response times. The downsides are that the contrast on LG's nano IPS monitors are consistently below 1000:1, and they don't enjoy the 100% adobe RGB gamut coverage, though that first downside is likely hard to notice outside of direct comparisons, and the second downside is not something that will matter in practice to most users.

The 27GP83A is a slightly cut down version that's on sale for $350 at best buy, but I feel like you should just spend that extra $27 and get the top-end product. The various other 27" 1440p models either aren't on sale that I know of, or aren't discounted as low as the 27GP850. Though the 32" version is also on sale, for $100 more, if that's your thing: https://www.amazon.com/LG-32GP850-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Adjustable/dp/B093MFKDLP/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=lg+32gp850

The MSI MAG274QRF-QD is on sale for $370 at B&H Photo, coming close to the $350 deal at micro center. This one is almost as good as the 27GP850 in motion clarity, but has slightly better contrast and a wider gamut. However, it seems some people have been having a bit of trouble reigning in its wide gamut without color calibration tools to help them, even with the sRGB mode MSI has patched in (it seems kind of finnicky)

With all that said, at the end of the day the M27Q is still quite clear in motion and has great colors, so you're kind of seeing diminishing returns by paying $100 extra for either of those monitors over the M27Q. I don't think the LG monitor is known for the occasional QC issues that Gigabyte's monitors are known for though, so that can be an additional plus.

edit: And the Dell S2721DGF is still $330 at best buy and dell's online store, so that is perhaps the happy medium here.

edit 2: and for 1080p gaming, Asus' 280hz VG259QM is just $230 at Best Buy. That's a very good deal on a type of monitor that's usually over $300. Though, if you're capable of driving 280hz at 1080p, then you're also capable of driving 180hz at 1440p, and in my opinion that's a better experience. Though this does provide an inexpensive entry point to competitive gaming at very high refresh rates.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I don't know what's going on here but I want to ask the thread if they think this is a monitor issue or something else.

Recently bought an m32u. Other monitor is an xb27hu.

When I play games in borderless on the M32U occasionally it does this thing, If I click or move the mouse even on that screen with that software in focus it turns the screen black for a second and then comes back with the OSD displaying the resolution like I just switched inputs. Nothing else is connected to the monitor. It'll loop like this until I alt tab out of that program and then it stabilizes.

Doesn't happen all the time and doesn't even seem to happen during particularly resource intensive operations (playing TFT in League).

System is a 9900k and 2080ti so I dunno. Something that crossed my mind is that I didn't swap the power cable to the monitor when I installed it, just used the old cable from the xb27hu. That wouldn't cause an issue.... right?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I got a weird issue with my M32U as well. Sometimes it freaks out with my ultrawide and won’t display alongside it. Happened once, had to reboot to resolve. I’ll mention if it happens again.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I think I can beat that for weirdness. I'm having an issue where the old PC I've been given will only start up if both monitor cables are unplugged from the back. If everything is plugged in, it seems to get stuck halfway through booting. Lights and fans are on but at a super low RPM, nothing is being output, and a single tap of the power button turns it back off (when it's fully online a single tap puts it to sleep and you have to hold it down for a long time to do that hard shutdown). If the monitor cables are unplugged first, it starts up fine and then the monitors can be plugged in without issue. It seems to have started when I introduced the M27Q, but is now doing it if either monitor is plugged in (working from memory here, will verify tomorrow).

I already tried reseating the GPU, updating the graphics driver, and updating the BIOS. Does anyone know what else might be causing this? I have no idea what to make of it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Did you try using HDMI instead of DisplayPort (or vice versa)?

Not as serious an issue, but I had to update the firmware on my card to get it to output over DP during boot.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there anything extant or upcoming that competes with the overall quality of the Samsung Odyssey G7 but isn't curved? An internal power supply would be a bonus. I almost went for the Dell S2721DGF as it's on deep discount but the contrast / light bleed through black in review videos really turned me off.

My main issue is that I'm still rocking 3x1 HP ZR24w's and while I know I need to say goodbye to 16:10 I really like 3x1 for the organization, and I have arms that will go up to 15lbs installed.

I don't want to try pushing an Odyssey G9 with a 1070 non-GTX non-Ti and I'm unsure of how games will react to borderless window mode at 16:9 centered.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 7, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

VelociBacon posted:

So I don't know what's going on here but I want to ask the thread if they think this is a monitor issue or something else.

At least a few years ago, there were examples of people having issues when running a Freesync display with a Gsync display. I've never looked much into what the issues are, but maybe it's related. Also, it could be related to some jank-rear end software you have installed. That poo poo used to happen constantly before the era of borderless windowed, so I do wonder if some app is doing some dumb poo poo? It's really hard to guess. The monitor could definitely be to blame, but I'd want to do some really solid testing before I made that conclusion.

Shumagorath posted:

Is there anything extant or upcoming that competes with the overall quality of the Samsung Odyssey G7 but isn't curved? An internal power supply would be a bonus. I almost went for the Dell S2721DGF as it's on deep discount but the contrast / light bleed through black in review videos really turned me off.

My main issue is that I'm still rocking 3x1 HP ZR24w's and while I know I need to say goodbye to 16:10 I really like 3x1 for the organization, and I have arms that will go up to 15lbs installed.

I don't want to try pushing an Odyssey G9 with a 1070 non-GTX and I'm unsure of how games will react to borderless window mode at 16:9 centered.

There is nothing that is going to give you insanely great contrast, it doesn't exist in LCDs. TN contrast is absolute trash, IPS contrast is very mediocre, and VA contrast/gamma shifting looks like total rear end if you ever get more than 10-15 degrees off-center from any part of the panel. That said, there are plenty of options that have more contrast than LG panels. Also, you cannot tell poo poo about the performance of monitors from digital photography and videos in conditions that aren't necessarily anything like yours. The reality is, all the non-LG IPS gaming panels pretty much BTFO any monitor more than 5 years old, and even the LG gaming panels are generally at least equal in contrast/consistency to anything more than 5 years old while having excellent performance. People have crazy beliefs about the contrast of old monitors. They all sucked rear end. A VA Ultrasharp from 10 years ago has notably worst contrast than an LG gaming IPS of today, even when sitting in the "ideal" zone. It might have better backlight consistency, though.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 7, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
in theory you could go oled but the tech is very very clearly not ready for wide adoption and won't be until there is a good solution to the burn in problem, imo. not to mention costs an arm and a leg.

i wonder if you could solve that by making the OS move poo poo around routinely or something?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

K8.0 posted:

There is nothing that is going to give you insanely great contrast, it doesn't exist in LCDs. TN contrast is absolute trash, IPS contrast is very mediocre, and VA contrast/gamma shifting looks like total rear end if you ever get more than 10-15 degrees off-center from any part of the panel. That said, there are plenty of options that have more contrast than LG panels. Also, you cannot tell poo poo about the performance of monitors from digital photography and videos in conditions that aren't necessarily anything like yours. The reality is, all the non-LG IPS gaming panels pretty much BTFO any monitor more than 5 years old, and even the LG gaming panels are generally at least equal in contrast/consistency to anything more than 5 years old while having excellent performance. People have crazy beliefs about the contrast of old monitors. They all sucked rear end. A VA Ultrasharp from 10 years ago has notably worst contrast than an LG gaming IPS of today, even when sitting in the "ideal" zone. It might have better backlight consistency, though.
Alright I'll reframe this: Am I going to be happier with one Odyssey G7 in the middle flanked by the old HP's, or with replacing all three of them with those Dells? I have an east-facing apartment that gets a tonne of sunlight to the point that indoor areas in Escape from Tarkov are almost impossible to see in without a flashlight or night vision, and it gets marginally better when my computer area is lights-out.

I know anything will be an upgrade but ideally I want this next set to last another decade, and everyone talks about the G7 being head and shoulders above every other gaming monitor if you can tolerate the curve. 3x1 of those, in addition to being insanely expensive, will wrap clear around my head, so that's out.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Shumagorath posted:

a 1070 non-GTX

A whatnow

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

Alright I'll reframe this: Am I going to be happier with one Odyssey G7 in the middle flanked by the old HP's, or with replacing all three of them with those Dells? I have an east-facing apartment that gets a tonne of sunlight to the point that indoor areas in Escape from Tarkov are almost impossible to see in without a flashlight or night vision, and it gets marginally better when my computer area is lights-out.

I know anything will be an upgrade but ideally I want this next set to last another decade, and everyone talks about the G7 being head and shoulders above every other gaming monitor if you can tolerate the curve. 3x1 of those, in addition to being insanely expensive, will wrap clear around my head, so that's out.

No one can tell you for certain. You should do some thinking, but you should also buy monitors from places that have good return policies - so basically amazon or maybe a local best buy. There's a decent chance you'll wind up using them.

Tarkov is an insanely dark game and IDK how anyone plays it without boosting gamma to the moon even if they're using an OLED in a pitch dark room, but it does sound like you're going to be one of those people who legitimately needs high brightness, so definitely don't go buying something with low max brightness.

If I were heavily focused on Tarkov I probably would prefer the G7, because it is going to give you more contrast down low (even with boosted gamma) and you have a bias to prefer buying more expensive monitors less frequently. It's a tossup as to which approach makes more sense in the long run, so you should probably do what makes you happy. OTOH probably the thing that would do the most for you is buying better shades/blinds because playing almost anything in the dark is really a significantly better experience. When I lived in an apartment I used to have a piece of cardboard I cut to black out the window in my gamer dungeon because gently caress it.

I don't think the G7 is necessarily heads and shoulders above its competition. There are a bunch of good options at various price points. The G7 is the overall king as long as you're going to stay well-centered and you don't mind returning it if you have QC issues, but it's not it's completely superior to the other high-end options. The other thing is, as always, new monitors are always coming out. I doubt this year is going to be some revolutionary year where at CES 2022 in January (which is kind of the monitor show) we see some magical new panels that will revolutionize monitors in mid-2022, but if nothing really seems satisfactory to you, maybe waiting a bit is the right decision. After all, it's not like the higher-end options you prefer are going to be much more expensive in 2 months the way some the more mainstream options tend to be after the holiday sales.

As far as mismatching displays, personally, I have a 34" 1800R ultrawide sitting next to a flat 27" monitor, and it doesn't bother me at all. Other people freak out if bezels aren't completely identical. You'll have to use your own judgement as to where on that spectrum you fall. I'd say probably start with just getting one new monitor. You can always buy more if you don't like that setup.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
^^^ Thank you!

Sorry, meant non-Ti.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've seen some people who have tried to use a 1000R samsung monitor next to a flat one end up returning the samsung because they couldn't cope with the curvature difference. I've never used a curved monitor, but I've heard people say that once their eyes adjusted to the curve, looking at flat panels tripped them out (like they appeared convex). And 1000R is way more aggressive than 1800R.

This is probably something that's different person to person though.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
none of my monitors match, or have the same refresh rate. also one of them is run in portrait. people who are like "oh nooooooooo they Don't Match" have spent a lot more money on it than i have.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

What are the best budget 4k displays these days? Does this roundup on Tom's Hardware pretty much cover it or are there others to consider?

I should specify this is explicitly NOT for any gaming use. Normal non-goon computer uses like light photo organizing/editing, web browsing, content consumption, etc.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 8, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

At a glance that article looks like the same ignorant crap as most monitor reviews.

4k monitors are almost as dime a dozen as 1080p monitors. There are hordes of them at various price points and feature sets. How much do you want to spend? Do you want 27 or 32"? What sort of connectivity do you want? Do you for some reason want a curved screen? How much do you want to pay for better factory calibration, a better stand, a better OSD, a nice feeling build quality, etc? If you have some questions you know the answers to, maybe people can give you suggestions, but for the most part you can search 4k 27" or 4k 32" on Amazon and find an absolute rear end load of monitors and start getting some clue what's out there.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

-No more than $400
-No strong preference between 27-32" anything over about 26" is big enough
-HDMI
-Don't care about curved unless that's a desirable feature for bigger displays? We've never had a monitor that large.
-As long as it's straightforward enough for me to follow a one-time calibration guide somewhere I don't care about shipped-calibration or the OSD

Is there a consensus on what kind of panel is better here, IPS/VA etc? Particular brands I should steer towards/away?

edit: like is this thing any good? I never know what to think of Amazon reviews anymore

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 8, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

bawfuls posted:

-No more than $400
-No strong preference between 27-32" anything over about 26" is big enough
-HDMI
-Don't care about curved unless that's a desirable feature for bigger displays? We've never had a monitor that large.
-As long as it's straightforward enough for me to follow a one-time calibration guide somewhere I don't care about shipped-calibration or the OSD

Is there a consensus on what kind of panel is better here, IPS/VA etc? Particular brands I should steer towards/away?

For what intended use, and what are you plugging into it? If a PC, what are the specs?

You're most likely looking at some kind of 27" IPS display. Every brand has decent monitors and poo poo monitors, so it's a total minefield out there. Don't buy a monitor that hasn't been reviewed by a reputable reviewer. Reviewers I trust include RTINGS, TFT Central, and Hardware Unboxed. edit: Reviews are much more scarce for productivity monitors compared to gaming monitors, unfortunately, so sometimes you have no choice but to buy blind, especially if you want a cheap 4K monitor.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 8, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This is for my wife's soon-to-be-acquired M1 Mac mini. She'll do typical non-goon things on it like web browsing, email, word processing, spreadsheets, consuming video content, light photo editing, etc. She will 100% never game on it ever.

It will also pull double duty as the display for her work laptop (unsure of specific specs, a fairly light Lenovo that's several years old) when she works from home a couple days a week.

edit: yes I'm not seeing any of the monitors I've found through amazon or other filters on those review sites. Maybe I'll just buy from Costco since I know they'll let me return a dud hassle-free.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 8, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VA panels are generally cheaper. Motion looks blurrier on them and the viewing angles are bad, but contrast is better than IPS. For the type of use this monitor will see, the motion blur won't be a serious issue, but large flat VA panels can run into an issue where the edges of the screen look washed out or have shifted colors due to the angles you're looking at them. That's why a lot of VA panels end up curved, to angle the edges toward the user.

RTINGS reviewed the 32" version of that monitor you linked, and the horizontal viewing angles are actually surprisingly good for a VA. This means that the edges looking off will be much less of an issue. The default color accuracy may be off, but it's correctable through calibration. RTINGS also provide the calibration profile they generated with their professional calibration tools and the OSD settings they use. MacOS tends to make much better use of those than Windows, so accuracy should hopefully not be an issue. It seems like that could be a decent budget 4K panel for general non-goony stuff.

If you get the 32" version, just be ready for how drat big it is. 32" allows you to ease back on the desktop scaling and enjoy more screen real estate, which can be pretty useful if you're a heavy multitasker. For most normal users, I'd expect 27" to be more in their sweet spot, though. And the viewing angles issues present with flat VAs will be less of a concern with a smaller screen.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I honestly don't think you need good reviews for average monitor usage. What matters is stuff like "is the stand/OSD truly awful", "will it break after 7 days", and "is the factory calibration so bad it's obvious", and you don't have to be a professional reviewer to spot those things. If you're gaming or photo editing, absolutely don't trust super biased reviews, but if you're in the "just don't suck" market, other average joes are fine.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

VA panels are generally cheaper. Motion looks blurrier on them and the viewing angles are bad, but contrast is better than IPS. For the type of use this monitor will see, the motion blur won't be a serious issue, but large flat VA panels can run into an issue where the edges of the screen look washed out or have shifted colors due to the angles you're looking at them. That's why a lot of VA panels end up curved, to angle the edges toward the user.

RTINGS reviewed the 32" version of that monitor you linked, and the horizontal viewing angles are actually surprisingly good for a VA. This means that the edges looking off will be much less of an issue. The default color accuracy may be off, but it's correctable through calibration. RTINGS also provide the calibration profile they generated with their professional calibration tools and the OSD settings they use. MacOS tends to make much better use of those than Windows, so accuracy should hopefully not be an issue. It seems like that could be a decent budget 4K panel for general non-goony stuff.

If you get the 32" version, just be ready for how drat big it is. 32" allows you to ease back on the desktop scaling and enjoy more screen real estate, which can be pretty useful if you're a heavy multitasker. For most normal users, I'd expect 27" to be more in their sweet spot, though. And the viewing angles issues present with flat VAs will be less of a concern with a smaller screen.
So this suggests that the 27" version ought to be similarly acceptable yes? I tend to agree that 32" may be more than we need, and the office space we have at home isn't such that she's going to be setting the thing across a huge desk from where she's sitting.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

bawfuls posted:

So this suggests that the 27" version ought to be similarly acceptable yes? I tend to agree that 32" may be more than we need, and the office space we have at home isn't such that she's going to be setting the thing across a huge desk from where she's sitting.

Yeah, I would expect the 27" version to behave similarly. This isn't the case with all brands, but differently-sized LG monitors of the same model tend to behave mostly the same.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

K8.0 posted:

I honestly don't think you need good reviews for average monitor usage. What matters is stuff like "is the stand/OSD truly awful", "will it break after 7 days", and "is the factory calibration so bad it's obvious", and you don't have to be a professional reviewer to spot those things. If you're gaming or photo editing, absolutely don't trust super biased reviews, but if you're in the "just don't suck" market, other average joes are fine.

Yeah, exactly, this is into over thinking territory. For the listed usages, in my mind it's almost like, just buy whatever is cheapest at the desired monitor size, from a reputable seller, and just return if they don't like it.

On an unrelated note, holy hell is FedEx having problems. Ordered something from Dell, supposed to delivery today; Dell shipped it out on the 3rd, and it should have had plenty of time to make it here in time, except Dell decided to let it sit for over 36 hours in Fort Worth (and it spent almost 3 days just crossing Texas), and it stalled out tonight on basically the western edge of Texas.

Ironically I've had decent luck shipping to goons with FedEx, but getting packages from this is a nightmare. And of course they're blaming Covid/work force issues, but they sucked rear end before 2020.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, exactly, this is into over thinking territory. For the listed usages, in my mind it's almost like, just buy whatever is cheapest at the desired monitor size, from a reputable seller, and just return if they don't like it.
Thanks, this is good enough for me. I always figure it's worth checking the goon hivemind in case there are any glaring pitfalls to avoid.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CoolCab posted:

none of my monitors match, or have the same refresh rate. also one of them is run in portrait. people who are like "oh nooooooooo they Don't Match" have spent a lot more money on it than i have.

Yeah my primo setup involves two mismatched TVs as monitors and a couple of twenty-five y/o college textbooks because they are perfect for leveling the screens across the top bezel. Goes well with my keyboard & mouse setups on top of the two TV trays right up in front of the displays.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Having one in portrait and one in landscape is just so incredibly nice for day to day use, anytime any window is even remotely awkward you can just flip it over the the other screen and voila.

And if you do have one of each, you actually want them to be mismatched or else the portrait one towers over the landscape one and looks super weird. But if your portrait one is smaller (say, a 27" and a 24") then you can line the top edges up perfectly without having to set it so high that the ergonomics are bad.

Tl;dr mismatch is good

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

I guess it depends what you do with that main monitor and your other 2 monitors. If you use all 3 evenly or use the other 2 monitors for something more intensive than text documents / twitch chat / unimportant poo poo, I would probably recommend upgrading all 3. And I say that as someone who loves his G7.
Also I probably wouldn't want to look at spreadsheets all day on a curved monitor, but for entertainment / gaming it's fantastic. Be prepared to return it though if you have some issues or just hate the curve for productivity tasks. Took me a few days to adjust to it.

Otherwise the Dell is good. Thread favorite LG 27GP850 / LG 27GP83A are also great. Then there's also the -B revisions for each(only difference between the 850 and 83A/B are a usb HUB on the monitor and iirc the 850 goes up to 180hz now) and you can pick between 27 and 32 inches for each. I grabbed a LG 32GP83B on Black Friday and it's fantastic.

e: I think there's also the LG 27GP800 which is the same panel as the previous 2 LGs, but just has a super basic stand that basically has 0 adjustment. This probably won't be an issue for you since iirc they can be VESA mounted and you said you have an arm stand.
Goddamn LG has a ton of variants on basically the same panel/monitor

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 8, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

For your future knowledge, the -B or -W on an LG monitor is just back cover color.

Also, the 27Gx800 monitors seem to be really budget and I'm not sure if they're really on the same level as the rest of the 27G range. Seen evidence pointing both ways.

LG's monitor naming scheme is actually human-interpretable for the most part.

2 digits for size in inches.
One letter for type of monitor (G for gaming, U is their sort of Ultrasharp-type nicer work monitors, W, B, M and probably others are various home/office type displays)
One letter for year code (K is 2018, L is 2019, N is 2020, P is 2021)
Two numbers for hierarchy in the range of monitors (i.e. 50, 65, 80, 85, 95)
One character for whatever the gently caress. Often an 0, A is used on value gaming monitors,

And theoretically every monitor is a -W or -B depending on its shell color, but they often leave this off.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

K8.0 posted:

For your future knowledge, the -B or -W on an LG monitor is just back cover color.

This would explain why I saw some sites list it as GP83B-B. But I should have written B model not -B revision. Anyways the LG 27GL83A is 144hz and the LG 27GP83B is 165hz. It also supports freesync up to 144hz over hdmi. So I guess the model is different too, not just the back cover this time.

K8.0 posted:

LG's monitor naming scheme is actually human-interpretable for the most part.

2 digits for size in inches.
One letter for type of monitor (G for gaming, U is their sort of Ultrasharp-type nicer work monitors, W, B, M and probably others are various home/office type displays)
One letter for year code (K is 2018, L is 2019, N is 2020, P is 2021)
Two numbers for hierarchy in the range of monitors (i.e. 50, 65, 80, 85, 95)
One character for whatever the gently caress. Often an 0, A is used on value gaming monitors,

And theoretically every monitor is a -W or -B depending on its shell color, but they often leave this off.

And today I learned what the letters are for in that naming scheme. :toot:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 8, 2021

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

And today I learned what the letters are for in that naming scheme. :toot:

Where is Blexley Park to decipher us the Acer naming scheme?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Can anyone recommend a two monitor 27 inch mount that is adjustable? Able to stack them or do vertical on the side?

I got one but I had to return it, it moved too easily and wouldn't stay still.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

err posted:

Can anyone recommend a two monitor 27 inch mount that is adjustable? Able to stack them or do vertical on the side?

I got one but I had to return it, it moved too easily and wouldn't stay still.

Every monitor arm (basically) can rotate so the vertical thing is solved, it's much harder to find one that can stack well but anything with long arms would work... maybe.

I use this one but be aware it's amazon Canada.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I have a Thinkpad and a Lenovo dock at work, and I'm looking at finding something similar for working at home. Is the Dell D6000 still a worthwhile option for driving 2 1080p monitors if I can get it used? I've heard folks have had poor experiences with Displaylink, but I just need it for the office suite and zoom.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 8, 2021

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Baronash posted:

I have a Thinkpad and a Lenovo dock at work, and I'm looking at finding something similar for working at home. Is the Dell D6000 still a worthwhile option for driving 2 1080p monitors if I can get it used? I've heard folks have had poor experiences with Displaylink, but I just need it for the office suite and zoom.
that's what i use with my dell machine for work. at the office it drives 3 1920x1080 displays (2 DP, 1 HDMI) and runs 2 2560x1600 (both DP) at home. my monitors all support displayport, not sure on how it would work with a displayport->hdmi adapter, or if it will work with your machine, but the dock itself is capable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
Are the G7 folks running a single monitor setup?

nvm I thought it was the big one.

Whitest Russian fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 9, 2021