Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

Is there any other big, good magical girl RPGs aside from Blue Reflection?

There's the Sailor Moon SNES game, which is... competent, question mark? It's only really worth it if you're already a Sailor Moon fan, I'd say. It's not bad, but it'd be extremely forgettable if it weren't for the license.

There's the Rayearth Saturn games, but those are basically in the same ballpark as the Sailor Moon SNES game - only worthwhile as auxiliary material to what it's based on. Beyond that, not really. There's some obscure Japanese-only indie stuff that will never be translated in a million years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Depends wether you consider the Neptunia girls magical girls or not....

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There is Fortune Summoners, but it's not really "big"?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Any Dungeon RPG where you can make your squad entirely magical girls?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Labyrinth of Touhou

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

That Madoka PSP game, I reckon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Snake Maze posted:

I mean it's basically the same phenomenon you see all over tech, where the venture capital startup with tons of money is willing to run at a loss and offer great deals to the customer with the end goal of becoming a monopoly and cranking prices up. It's a lovely goal and business model and I think it's pretty reasonable for people to dislike it.

If you want to see it at work, just look at Facebook and the Quest VR headset.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Are you talking about Steam or EGS? :v:

Steam sucks, EGS sucks more. Neither one is your friend. Let them fight.

Steam is dumb for various reasons, but it's still a relatively open platform (even if it's just because they're too lazy to interfere), and EGS is actively malicious by comparison. Them "winning" would be real bad. We're actually pretty lucky they're so loving bad at what they're trying to achieve.

The real short version is this is a question of looking a couple moves ahead, metaphorically speaking; It's not about "wow, they give games away for free, people will flock to them instead of Steam!" or whatever, but let's say they do somehow surpass/kill Steam and Gog vanishes in a puff of smoke overnight. Then go away all the nice-to-haves. Or any real user support. And in come the ads. And the microtransactions. And subscription fees. And out go mods or anything user-based content. Because what're you going to do, use a competitor's platform? Lol, what competitor's platform, you've got them and nothing so pound sand. Also you modded your game and violated our TOS so you're banned now, gently caress you, you don't get to play PC games ever again because it's our monopoly.

That's what you gotta look ahead at with this.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 11, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

That Madoka PSP game, I reckon.
the madoaka PSP game is not really an RPG and also another one that's only really worth it if you're a fan of the source material.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Junpei posted:

Is there any other big, good magical girl RPGs aside from Blue Reflection?
You'd be hard pressed just to find some small, bad ones.

Your best option might be to fire up Unity and make your own.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
The Hiori & Mio stuff in BR2 struck me as very strange because in the anime a cool & important part of their resolution was the realization that obsessing too much over each other was just feeding into both of their worst dysfunctions and they needed to take some distance and focus on their other relationships, but then the game just goes right back to playing them as "we're always super close and we're never going to let go of one another :) :)" and making weird jokes about marrying each other. It feels like the anime & game writers weren't communicating very well.

I get why they'd want to have Hiori here just for the "make a party of all BR protags" factor, but I do think Shino would've been a better companion for her, being the character she actually promised to never leave alone again and now seems weirdly unconcerned about

I do quite like how they're playing Uta so far, though I haven't even done her heartscape yet. It's cool how they manage keep opening new dimensions to Ao's personality with every particular social dynamic even 10 characters in

(Niina was also my favourite throughout the show, though Mio did edge her out at the very end. They're both so cool)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Depends wether you consider the Neptunia girls magical girls or not....

They're the avatars of CPUs, so more like robots or cyborgs. Personally, I count the Neptunia-games as cyberpunk RPGs because of this

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Neptunia is about as close as you're going to get to a "big" magical girl RPG, being about a team of girls who have fancy transformations into super forms who fight against evil organizations trying to blow up the world.

Fairy Fencer, being basically a Neptunia game without the Neptunia IP, also fits these criteria, though there's boys in the team too in that one.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Doesn't Fairy Fencer have a male main character, even? Under established magical girl doctrine, that is clear heresy, and I for one will not stand for it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Fair enough. I like to ask about RPGs that do atypical settings or experiment with influences beyond the usual fantasy and sci-fi stuff, hence the earlier Toku RPG ask. Probably also why I really like, say, Wild ARMs and Boktai (Western-based settings, though there is still fantasy and sci-fi stuff) and wish that there was more than two Legend of Legaia games (wuxia/martial arts, and also the second one is way worse than the first).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

FractalSandwich posted:

Doesn't Fairy Fencer have a male main character, even? Under established magical girl doctrine, that is clear heresy, and I for one will not stand for it.

Yeah, though his magical powers come from combining with a magical fairy girl.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Junpei posted:

Fair enough. I like to ask about RPGs that do atypical settings or experiment with influences beyond the usual fantasy and sci-fi stuff, hence the earlier Toku RPG ask. Probably also why I really like, say, Wild ARMs and Boktai (Western-based settings, though there is still fantasy and sci-fi stuff) and wish that there was more than two Legend of Legaia games (wuxia/martial arts, and also the second one is way worse than the first).

I mean if you like Wuxia games some classic Taiwanese series have been getting translations (by machine oh god by machine) as of late and their budgets are skyrocketing with investment money.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Junpei posted:

Please look forward to Live A Live Remastered, which is definitely happening even though it's been two years since it was first rated by the Australian Ratings Board.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's a lot of Chinese-only wuxia RPGs. I'm pretty sure some of the first relatively big chinese-developed games were RPGs for the PS1.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

Please look forward to Live A Live Remastered, which is definitely happening even though it's been two years since it was first rated by the Australian Ratings Board.

It will happen some day, I believe in them :pray:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm not saying that discussing who I pursued romantically in a 90s chinese-only wuxia RPG is the sole reason for success in my life, but its done more for my personal life and career than you might anticipate.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sword Fairy is a very popular Chinese wuxia RPG that goes all the way back to the early 90s.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, Sword and Fairy and Xuanyuan Sword are both long running Chinese RPG series. Gujian is also technically a series although they're just up to 3 games. I'm not huge on any of them personally, I prefer some smaller stuff. I think I've mentioned Heluo Studio before but I'm still keeping an eye on Path of Wuxia which is still in early access.

That's one really nice thing about Steam. It lets you get Chinese games officially even if some of those don't have EN translations yet. There's probably some big posts about Chinese games on Steam if you're curious.

GoldenJoe
Aug 9, 2006

Devorum posted:

This is patently false, as anyone who plays a game with a modding scene can tell you.

EGS is also weirdly slow on every device I own. It's bad enough that I use GOG to launch my EGS games.

Unless you don't own the game on Steam, 'cause they won't let you download the mods without owning the game.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

GoldenJoe posted:

Unless you don't own the game on Steam, 'cause they won't let you download the mods without owning the game.

That sounds more like a problem with Steam locking down and monopolising certain mods, rather than an EGS issue.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Hel posted:

That sounds more like a problem with Steam locking down and monopolising certain mods, rather than an EGS issue.

This isn't really an issue with Steam locking down mods. It's an issue of Steam Workshop being far and away the most convenient and easy to use way to install/update mods for most people, and a huge amount of mod creators/maintainers don't want to bother with the hassle of uploading them to Nexus or whatever as well as Steam to reach a tiny fraction of the potential userbase.

As someone who frequently mods the poo poo out of games I play, I cannot overstate what a ridiculous night and day difference Steam Workshop made in this process. It's so much more user friendly and convenient than hunting down mods on Nexus or other sites and then laboriously installing them to proper directories that it's like going from a command prompt to Windows or something. Sometimes it can be sort of easy if a game has a big enough fanbase that there's a dedicated mod manager, but even that doesn't save the day all the time(see: Bethesda games).

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 11, 2021

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Magical girl is a strangely undermined aesthetic in other mediums for how popular it is. Maybe it's because of the stereotype that little girls don't like video games? I know there's a thing about how it's basically impossible to convince American toymakers that girls might like something with action in it.

mycot fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 11, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

Incidentally there does seem to have been something of an attempt to make Uta a pseudo-mascot for the recent Blue Reflection stuff, there were little skits that focused on her posted to the youtube channel daily then weekly during the anime's run. Most of them were her making jokes at Niina, Mio, and Shino. There's a cooking joke that I'm pretty sure gets repeated in both the anime and Second Light, for instance. It's kind of interesting that she, of all characters, is the thread running through this revival stuff. Sadly I predict the upcoming mobage will flop and we will not get any more blue reflection stuff, but Ray and Second Light are both pretty complete in themselves, and I'm really happy with how they've expanded on the good parts of the original game.

that's pretty wild

a gacha can be pretty trash and still turn a profit so I don't doubt it won't be a complete failure but I don't see any world where it's a big success, yeah, even by gust's standards. Probably the best I can hope for is gust turning the emotional style of writing they used in BR towards Atelier, which is generally superior gameplay wise but has been in a bit of a downturn writing-wise from it's height, at least for me personally.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Devorum posted:

This is patently false, as anyone who plays a game with a modding scene can tell you.

EGS is also weirdly slow on every device I own. It's bad enough that I use GOG to launch my EGS games.

The store client itself is actually a UE4 application, which is..clever I guess, but also makes it performatively garbage like that

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

The store client itself is actually a UE4 application, which is..clever I guess, but also makes it performatively garbage like that

Why would they do this

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Why would they do this

When you all you have is a hammer factory....

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Clearly they're setting up for the VR storefront where it simulates being in a game shop, right down to having to swipe your credit card.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

the only other magical girl rpg i can think of (besides the stuff already mentioned, like sailor moon) was the tokyo mew mew one on the uhhh ps1 or 2 or smth????

man there Really should be more magical girl rpgs huh

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm not aware of any besides Blue Reflection that aren't based on an existing anime franchise

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Is Final Fantasy 6 a magical girl RPG? If not, why not?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Crowetron posted:

no, because Sabin and Locke are the main characters (in that order)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it is an RPG with a magical girl, but one isn't enough, it has to be the dominant aesthetic, imo

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Crowetron posted:

Now that I think back on it, yeah that magic knight general girl with her artificially grafted on powers was basically a magical girl, yes. How many magical girls use swords instead of magic staffs, though?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Crowetron posted:

hmmm.... yes?? i guess? i'd say it doesn't have much in the way of a team of magical girls though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Libluini posted:

Now that I think back on it, yeah that magic knight general girl with her artificially grafted on powers was basically a magical girl, yes. How many magical girls use swords instead of magic staffs, though?

https://i.imgur.com/KTPlyKa.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i think cutey honey uses a sword too