Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
My buddy texted me last week that he had to get out of the house for a few hours on Friday evening, so we went to a craft beer bar in an affluent shopping center in Fresno. Packed with about 30-40 people inside, zero masks including the bartenders. We masked up, ordered our beers, and went outside to sit on the chilly patio by ourselves. After a couple hours of this, my buddy lit up a cig and I vaped. We wouldn’t have even done that except again the outside was completely empty. The unmasked bartender ran outside to tell us to stop because he didn’t want anyone inside to complain. Again, 0% masked full capacity, ages ranging from 21-50+. lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol at the thought of running outside during the busy night to tell someone to not smoke outside a bar.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Fill Baptismal posted:

At this point it looks like the equilibrium policy is, or should be at any rate: vaccines mandated everywhere, periodic boosters, and masks mandated wherever practical and enforceable. Otherwise just open poo poo up. Zero Covid isn’t happening and countries with far greater state capacity in terms of the welfare state haven’t been able to pull it off either.

LOL other countries have been able to keep it way way down and not kill off a million of their citizens but since they aren't at Zero why even try amirite

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jaxyon posted:

LOL other countries have been able to keep it way way down and not kill off a million of their citizens but since they aren't at Zero why even try amirite

you say it like a million Americans dead wouldn't be an improvement

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Larry Parrish posted:

you say it like a million Americans dead wouldn't be an improvement

oh lol good one millions of people dying is awesome

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

lol buddy you got a time machine to go back to the beginning of 2020, I’ll get in it with you and support lockdowns till I’m blue in the face. But until you get the flux capacitor working, it’s pretty clear that it would be both impossible to pull off politically (because it would be tremendously unpopular), and unlikely to work at this point.

Get shots in arms and require masks on places like public transit.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Fill Baptismal posted:

lol buddy you got a time machine to go back to the beginning of 2020, I’ll get in it with you and support lockdowns till I’m blue in the face. But until you get the flux capacitor working, it’s pretty clear that it would be both impossible to pull off politically (because it would be tremendously unpopular), and unlikely to work at this point.

My disagreement is with your characterization of other countries' failures.

I don't disagree that the US has chosen death and profits.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Fill Baptismal posted:

Have you been on public transit recently? The patrons don't believe in it, and the drivers won't enforce it; it's a loving clownshow because

Larry Parrish posted:

there's never going to be a truly effective mask mandate so long as we keep deciding that we need to have minimum wage service workers enforce it lol.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Who's going to enforce it, then? The sherriffs? Lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

fermun posted:

At this point, only China and Cuba have been able to keep Zero Covid, US never tried for it though.

China ain't going to be Zero COVID any time soon, omicron loving shreds through Sinovac like a wet paper bag apparently.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Take a leaf from Texas and put a $10,000 bounty on antimaskers.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

No, I think it's being suggested that enforcers are to be given a raise/hazard pay. Unless people here are suggesting that we increase police interactions?

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Kaal posted:

Take a leaf from Texas and put a $10,000 bounty on antimaskers.

Works for me.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Make that $10,000 bounty payable directly from the LEO pension fund and see how fast the cops change their tune on enforcement.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BeAuMaN posted:

No, I think it's being suggested that enforcers are to be given a raise/hazard pay. Unless people here are suggesting that we increase police interactions?

im suggesting that our society is fundamentally incapable of exercising state power in any way beyond domestic or foreign violence

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

BeAuMaN posted:

Front line workers should get pay bumps regardless, but honestly the whole mask enforcement thing is a bit of a catch 22. It's irresponsible and cruel to expect retail workers to act as enforcers given how strongly opinions have entrenched on masks at this point. Like you're legit risking the physical safety of employees by making them confront people who aren't masked. On the other hand though, the solution of "more cops" isn't good either because a) a lot of cops are themselves uninterested in enforcing mask mandates and b) even among those who would be willing police interactions themselves carry a ton of risk for physical violence and unfortunately policing is such in this country that sticking one at the entrance to every business to enforce masks would just lead to a bunch of non-white people getting harassed and potentially injured/killed by cops. This also goes for ODO's and to a lesser extend hiring private security personnel.

There's just not a good solution, and honestly even if there was companies would still default to making their front line workers handle enforcement because it's cheap, easy, and those employees are viewed as disposable by their companies anyway so who cares about their safety and mental health.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Sydin posted:

There's just not a good solution, and honestly even if there was companies would still default to making their front line workers handle enforcement because it's cheap, easy, and those employees are viewed as disposable by their companies anyway so who cares about their safety and mental health.

The pandemic has been like a road trip, we started out in San Diego, headed to Seattle. Simple enough, we get to 5, and head north. But then there was a traffic jam on 5, so the driver took a detour that would add more time, but we'd be moving the whole time. Then the driver wanted to go to Vegas. Which OK, we can still get to Seattle from there, it's going to take longer, and we'll be using back roads more. Then we just keep going in more and more absurd directions, until 2 years later the car is floating around on a barge off the coast of Nova Scotia. 3 of the tires have been replaced with furniture dollies, there's two corpses in the trunk, and the driver is yelling "YEAH, HOW THE gently caress DO WE GET TO SEATTLE FROM HERE SMART GUY? ARE YOU GONNA SAY TO USE THE PADDLE THAT I JUST THREW IN THE WATER?! YOUR PLAN SUCKS!".

The best response I can come up with is just "I dunno, man, this sucks."

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 15, 2021

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

China ain't going to be Zero COVID any time soon, omicron loving shreds through Sinovac like a wet paper bag apparently.

They're maintaining Zero Covid through lockdowns, they're not relying solely on vaccines.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

It is a lot more upsetting to me than I would expect to see someone write down "5" instead of "the 5."

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Dirk the Average posted:

It is a lot more upsetting to me than I would expect to see someone write down "5" instead of "the 5."

Apparently, people outside of California find it upsetting when I say "the 5" instead of "I-5". I didn't realize saying "the #" for a freeway was regional.

EDIT: Oh god, is this even regional within California?

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 16, 2021

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the gently caress. who calls it 'the #'. you people down south are malformed lol.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Keep telling us southerners to "take 5" places; we're just gonna get more and more relaxed

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I’m an Ohio transplant and call it “5,” never “the 5.” Gross.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

CPColin posted:

Keep telling us southerners to "take 5" places; we're just gonna get more and more relaxed

This. It also differentiates freeways and asking people to take 5 of whatever the gently caress happens to be in front of them.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
“The number” is correct and cool and good.

Except for 1. You say “pch.” :colbert:
Not “the pch”. Just “pch.”

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

CompeAnansi posted:

Apparently, people outside of California find it upsetting when I say "the 5" instead of "I-5". I didn't realize saying "the #" for a freeway was regional.

when freeways were first being invented in la they were all given unique place names, e.g the hollywood freeway, the santa monica freeway, etc. numbering of routes wasn't standardized, so it was easiest to refer to a freeway by its place name. eventually the interstate and state routes became standardized enough that it was more convenient to refer use the route number as a reference, but decades of referring to "the xxx freeway" was a hard habit to break

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
See also: Chicago where only tourists use the freeway numbers. Thankfully with google maps you don't have to figure out WTF to do when someone tells you to get on the Kennedy then take the Stevenson to the Tristate or whatever.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

when freeways were first being invented in la they were all given unique place names, e.g the hollywood freeway, the santa monica freeway, etc. numbering of routes wasn't standardized, so it was easiest to refer to a freeway by its place name. eventually the interstate and state routes became standardized enough that it was more convenient to refer use the route number as a reference, but decades of referring to "the xxx freeway" was a hard habit to break

Only a fool or a tourist would take the San Diego Freeway to get to San Diego.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CompeAnansi posted:

Yeah, my folks are from SoCal but I grew up here in NorCal, so I grew up surrounded by heathens saying "take 80" or "I-80" instead of "take the 80" like I had been correctly taught.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in my experience people who are actually from socal are space aliens.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Space aliens who really want to know what you want us to take 5 of.

I’ll stop at the gas station and get a Take 5 instead.

Just kidding, they don’t sell those in gas stations :(

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

the pch

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Having lived about a 50:50 split of time between SoCal and the Bay Area, I just annoy everybody by referring to the freeways I used down there with the (the 101, the 5) and all the freeways I use up here without it (280, 880, etc).

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a Santa Cruz joker approach if you will

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Ardeem posted:

Only a fool or a tourist would take the San Diego Freeway to get to San Diego.

I mean I drive on it to get home from LA sometimes

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

withak posted:

See also: Chicago where only tourists use the freeway numbers. Thankfully with google maps you don't have to figure out WTF to do when someone tells you to get on the Kennedy then take the Stevenson to the Tristate or whatever.

oddly, i think of the local highways as "the MacArthur" and "the Nimitz" and don't remember their numbers half the time. idk why

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I blame radio traffic updates for even knowing what a Santa Monica freeway is

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Sydin posted:

Having lived about a 50:50 split of time between SoCal and the Bay Area, I just annoy everybody by referring to the freeways I used down there with the (the 101, the 5) and all the freeways I use up here without it (280, 880, etc).

I do this, too. For the same reason.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Disgusting!