Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunken_Pirate
May 7, 2007

moths posted:

Oh sweet! Looking forward to it.

Whoops, turns out I was talking out of my rear end. It says April 10 2021- missed the year, sorry. On the bright side guess it could be out sooner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

No sweat. I think the time between reveal and release has shrunken considerably lately, I'd be surprised if it isn't on shelves in 3 months.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
is there any way to get the rules for Spiked! magazine teams that are out of print? i just bought the snotling team and had to buy a secondhand spiked for the rules.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/08/20/snotlings-storm-the-gridiron/

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

moths posted:

Cool, now do Blackstone Fortress.

I'd grab a version of blackstone that had the expansions bundled in, i have that brain problem where it's either all or nothing for me

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

is there any way to get the rules for Spiked! magazine teams that are out of print? i just bought the snotling team and had to buy a secondhand spiked for the rules.

They're in the latest core rulebook

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

They're in the latest core rulebook

This. Unless you want the fluffy bits, all team rules from issue 10 and earlier are first ed and no longer valid. The only team not in the current rulebook is the Khorne team.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

fallingdownjoe posted:

Cursed City's coming back next year, plus expansions: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/12/20/cursed-city-resurrected/

I'm looking forward to them never acknowledging that anything ever went wrong, and not learning anything from the situation.

People say this but it kind of feels like GW has learned something by bringing it back, and they've had these "preorder period guarantee" things which weren't even a thing two years ago IIRC, like 2021 is the year GW wasn't like "preorder or suck scalper poo poo" with every single release.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Is cursed city even a good game? I agree that the minis are nice.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

MRLOLAST posted:

It seems... not. Haven't played it myself, but I have yet so see a single outright positive review of the actual gameplay. Everyone I know who picked it up did it for the minis. That makes the timing even more awkward, as the gaming community has had a year of finding out that it's not a really good game, making this relaunch even more odd. They might as well just release the minis for AoS and be done with it (which they did with quite a few of the minis already, right?).

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

lilljonas posted:

It seems... not. Haven't played it myself, but I have yet so see a single outright positive review of the actual gameplay. Everyone I know who picked it up did it for the minis. That makes the timing even more awkward, as the gaming community has had a year of finding out that it's not a really good game, making this relaunch even more odd. They might as well just release the minis for AoS and be done with it (which they did with quite a few of the minis already, right?).

It's as good as the other WHQ reboot games, none of which hold a candle to the big dogs of the genre, like Gloom haven.

But obviously it wrecks face at production value. Mostly.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

MRLOLAST posted:

I would not recommend buying it, ever, when there are actual good games like Gloomhaven's jaws of the lion around. They are great minis though. Haven't tried fan fixes but they looked promising.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

MRLOLAST posted:

Only managed to play a couple of lengthy sessions, but it's not for lack of interest: my group have enjoyed it a lot. I'll definitely be picking up the expansions

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There is a cool undead Mordheim warband in there if you don't mind the wrong base sizes / shapes.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Besides gloomhaven are there other dungeon crawlers people would recommend? Preferably something more interesting than heroquest.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Yeah I think Dana howl or another minituber mentioned that there are several fan made rule sets that improve the game immensely.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

Besides gloomhaven are there other dungeon crawlers people would recommend? Preferably something more interesting than heroquest.

There are always the two big games that put FFG on the map, Descent and Arkham Horror.

Descent is basically what you're looking for if you want HeroQuest but interesting: it's randomized, it has a better variety of enemies, and most of the character classes are interesting. It does need a gamemaster, though, although there's an app now that will GM for you on a script. (I've never tried it, though.) It has a million expansions to help mix it up if you like the core formula but get bored of the base monsters, missions, and heroes. Plus, a decent chunk of FFG's board game output is just ripping off Descent, usually with a licensed skin. (For example, Star Wars: Imperial Assault is just Descent on Hoth, and the second edition of Doom: the Board Game takes cues from Descent as much as it does the original.)

Arkham Horror is never boring. It's often weird and imbalanced and doesn't quite work, but that's also part of its appeal: you never quite know what you're going to get. It's a grab-bag of different ideas for dungeon-crawling games, and some of them work well and some don't. You'll have a lot of fun with it if you have good humor about traitor game modes. (There's also the LCG, which I hear good things about but haven't played.)

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 21, 2021

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

feels like it's a mistake to compare Cursed City, an entry level and simplistic dungeon crawl thing, to Gloomhaven---a much older and infinitely more complex game that isn't really that similar.

I'm gonna be def looking into the more popular fan-built CC mods, though.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Gloomhaven you really want the same group each session, and everyone should play the same character. The campaign adds a lot to it. I haven't played Cursed City, but Blackstone Fortress's campaign layer isn't nearly as complex, so it works much better if you have a rotating crew and people who miss sessions. It's got enough of a campaign layer to feel like you're moving things forward, but it really doesn't scratch the same itch Gloomhaven does, there's room for both.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are some D&D-based dungeon crawler boardgames out there, like temple of elemental evil, and also some Pathfinder ones as well, that can scratch that itch. Some of them are decent I guess? I haven't played most of them.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
an LGS i go to has gloomhaven, would it be worth picking up to try to get friends into?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Spanish Manlove posted:

an LGS i go to has gloomhaven, would it be worth picking up to try to get friends into?

I've heard good things about Gloomhaven Jaws of the Lion, a stand-alone prequel game to Gloomhaven. It is cheaper and layers in the rules with the first several games instead of dropping them all on you at once.

There's also the Gloomhaven PC game which I've been playing with friends but even with the in game tutorials it's kind of overwhelming to wrap your head around when you actually play.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Start with Gloomhaven Jaws of the Lion. It's a refinement on the system, can be had for $20, and is way less of a headache to setup, pack, and store. If you play through that and like it, then the big box is a great next step.

I also think the overall class design is better with those 4 than the 10+ in the original.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 21, 2021

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Start with Gloomhaven Jaws of the Lion. It's a refinement on the system, can be had for $20, and is way less of a headache to setup, pack, and store. If you play through that and like it, then the big box is a great next step.

I also think the overall class design is better with those 4 than the 10+ in the original.

This seems like great advice especially for this thread, as Gloomhaven is essentially the opposite of a GW box game. It’s all about the game mechanics and the core mechanics are brilliant.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Jolo posted:

I've heard good things about Gloomhaven Jaws of the Lion, a stand-alone prequel game to Gloomhaven. It is cheaper and layers in the rules with the first several games instead of dropping them all on you at once.

There's also the Gloomhaven PC game which I've been playing with friends but even with the in game tutorials it's kind of overwhelming to wrap your head around when you actually play.

Jaws was literally made to be a smooth introduction to Gloomhaven's systems, it is very, very good at it. The characters are cool and can port over to big haven. Big haven characters can also be used in jaws. Start with jaws

Both are on table top simulator as well as mods with a lot of handy automation but it's also kind of overwhelming to learn the game plus table top simulator plus the automation.

At least the proper digital game has the full campaign now, plus the guildmaster mode. Back in the day you'd buy digital (no jaws back then), play guildmaster for a week straight and then a ten pound box magically appears in your house.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Bad picture for a bad paintjob, we are starting a BB league after new year with 8-10 people.

Now for a name, I always been partial to dodgers but ranger and badgers also appeal to me.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MRLOLAST posted:

Bad picture for a bad paintjob, we are starting a BB league after new year with 8-10 people.

Now for a name, I always been partial to dodgers but ranger and badgers also appeal to me.

Dodgers would probably be appropriate, since those elfy assholes will be easily dodging out of tackle zones.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
A better picture, going to practice on my one turn touchdown chainpushes now. Being able to use 2 or more rerolls during the same turn sure helps.

Loos like binging Witcher subconsciously made me make one WD in to Geralt. So let's go with it, Presenting the Knifeear Dodgers.

MRLOLAST fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 21, 2021

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I designed some skill markers to 3D print for my local Blood Bowl group and I'm kind of at a toss up of what to have for "default" skills.

So far they're blank so everyone can just use colors to tell or write the skill on themselves, but it would be neat to have ones with the skill names printed on with raised letters.

I've thought of block, guard, dodge, and then I'm drawing a blank on other commonly used skills for all factions.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Wrestle , tackle, mighty blow, pro , sure hands, it depends

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Floppychop posted:

I designed some skill markers to 3D print for my local Blood Bowl group and I'm kind of at a toss up of what to have for "default" skills.

So far they're blank so everyone can just use colors to tell or write the skill on themselves, but it would be neat to have ones with the skill names printed on with raised letters.

I've thought of block, guard, dodge, and then I'm drawing a blank on other commonly used skills for all factions.

In more or less descending order of use: Mighty Blow, Tackle, Wrestle, Claw, Sure Hands, Dirty Player, Grab, Strip Ball, Kick, Side Step, Leader, Extra Arms, and Break Tackle and Piling On if it's not a BB2020 league. Occasionally Pro, Frenzy, Sprint, Diving Tackle, Juggernaut, Stand Firm, and Two Heads.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Eediot Jedi posted:

Jaws was literally made to be a smooth introduction to Gloomhaven's systems, it is very, very good at it. The characters are cool and can port over to big haven. Big haven characters can also be used in jaws. Start with jaws

Both are on table top simulator as well as mods with a lot of handy automation but it's also kind of overwhelming to learn the game plus table top simulator plus the automation.

At least the proper digital game has the full campaign now, plus the guildmaster mode. Back in the day you'd buy digital (no jaws back then), play guildmaster for a week straight and then a ten pound box magically appears in your house.

Gloomhaven is on Steam now and it rocks. Looks great and all the tedium is taken care of by the game. I can't imagine doing all the setup, rolls, etc. in person after playing it on PC.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

In more or less descending order of use: Mighty Blow, Tackle, Wrestle, Claw, Sure Hands, Dirty Player, Grab, Strip Ball, Kick, Side Step, Leader, Extra Arms, and Break Tackle and Piling On if it's not a BB2020 league. Occasionally Pro, Frenzy, Sprint, Diving Tackle, Juggernaut, Stand Firm, and Two Heads.

That's a bit much to print for half a dozen teams when I have only one printer.

I have 5 colors: red, blue, yellow, green, and grey. I'll probably stick to just giving them a handful of each color, let them know the common conventions (blue for block, etc...) and point them towards a fine-point Sharpie.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

goodness posted:

Gloomhaven is on Steam now and it rocks. Looks great and all the tedium is taken care of by the game. I can't imagine doing all the setup, rolls, etc. in person after playing it on PC.

Maybe I'm just bad at Gloomhaven, but I just bounce on the first few missions.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

dungeon crawlers are the best board game genre and the king of them all is warhammer quest from 1995. if you dont want to drop the money for a copy of that you can get into shadows of brimstone which is basically the exact same game but with a weird west theme (get the swamps core box and then expand from there if you dig it).

descent was mentioned which is good but you need an app for coop. arkham horror is fun but not a dungeon crawler, if you want to break out into adventure games look into dungeon degenerates or talisman which are not crawlers but are great

im out of town right now so i dont have my collection in front of me but i’d say og warhammer quest is probably close to the platonic ideal of the dungeon crawler game.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

also dungeonquest is a great crawler, and secrets of the lost tomb is super fun.

if you dont mind a solo game, ive been really enjoying d100 dungeon lately which is a crawler but not really a board game.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
talisman is dragon-themed chutes and ladders, i can't recommend it at all

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
There's also the Mantic Dungeon Saga and Star Saga games. I have Star Saga and have played through some missions and it was fun enough.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Virtual Russian posted:

I don't imagine this would look fantastic scaled up. The big thing the nuclear shrimp warlord has going for it is IMO it is a supremely well designed and scaled version of the Lucius Pattern Warlord. I always really like the Lucius in the art, but felt the actual model looked awkward and never lived up to the art. The NS Warlord does, but obviously has it's downsides.

Sadly Nuclear Shrimp utterly suck at casting. I picked up the 40k scale Gargant from them a few years back when they were still Titan Manufactorum and it was awful, I haven't been able to work up the motivation to try salvage it. https://imgur.com/a/Hunm4 has a few shots, mostly the legs and feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

Sadly Nuclear Shrimp utterly suck at casting. I picked up the 40k scale Gargant from them a few years back when they were still Titan Manufactorum and it was awful, I haven't been able to work up the motivation to try salvage it. https://imgur.com/a/Hunm4 has a few shots, mostly the legs and feet.
Who the gently caress looks at that, and thinks "That's fine, I'll sell that no problem!"?