Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
That's amazingly ridiculous.

GPs should just print off a flyer that tells people to call 000 if they are having trouble breathing or the department of health number for all other enquiries. Also include a brochure for funeral planning and life insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Happy summer solstice everybody!

(I have noticed despite all the articles on how covid is ruining Christmas, I have yet to see any on how it has ruin everyone's summer solstice plans. :( )

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

Which part of what I said was inaccurate for the majority of Australians, who don't live in NSW?

Well since you asked:

quote:

I'm going to assume from this post that you're either in NSW or you're in one of the COVID-zero states

WA is now the only COVID-zero state. Most of the country has opened up internal borders to travellers and has rapidly growing numbers.

quote:

and are consuming Sydney-centric media and assuming that this whole country is going to behave like NSW.

I'm not, however this worst case scenario assumes such a thing (and is indeed part of the point of it, to not do that) so this is irrelevant.

quote:

Restrictions aren't non-existent: you need to wear a mask indoors in most of the country, you need to show proof of vaccination to do much of anything in most of the country, you need to QR check-in in most of the country.

See above regarding this being the worst case warning.

quote:

Contact tracing has not collapsed in most of the country; I know several people here in Victoria who recently had to self-isolate and get tested because they were at contact sites

This is a worst case scenario prediction for over a month from now. If cases keep growing then how well tracing was working 5-6 weeks prior is irrelevant. Looking at daily case reports the number of cases with sources still under investigation is growing each day, and the listed dates on exposure dates are dragging back further and further. There simply isn't the manpower to properly trace thousands of new daily cases, and the percentage of tests returning positives continuing to climb suggests increasing numbers of undetected cases.

quote:

(and I know many more people who are skipping social events over the next few days so they don't get infected or pinged before Christmas).

Yes, same. However what does this have to do with worst case scenarios for over a month later?

quote:

None of the currently COVID-zero states are going to be any less stringent, not even the Liberal-governed ones.

As above, which Covid-zero states other than WA are you referring to here?

quote:

"Let her rip" is America where half the government is culture warring against vaccines. This ain't

Pre-booster vaccine numbers seem to do little to stop the spread of Omicron.

You are correct that we won't hit those numbers, because if we do more restrictions will come into place Morrison's promises be damned, however the forecast was specifically a worst case scenario where that doesn't happen, to warn why they might be needed, and nothing you wrote addresses any issues with the modelling.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
one thing that kind of irks me is that mcdonalds are supposed to require a proof of vacc (i'm surprised fast food counts as non-essential but whatever) but from what I can tell they have absolutely expended no effort whatsoever to ensure this might even be nominally applied.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

one thing that kind of irks me is that mcdonalds are supposed to require a proof of vacc (i'm surprised fast food counts as non-essential but whatever) but from what I can tell they have absolutely expended no effort whatsoever to ensure this might even be nominally applied.

For entry or employment? I know that to sit down and eat there you need proof, but I'm surprised that they're not enforcing jab mandates for employees. I just assume that corporate fast food places would have that because they're the only restaurants I've seen in the last month where everyone behind the counter still wears a mask.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I mean for entry. I eat there a lot when I'm doing landscaping jobs and I've never seen anyone ask anyone for proof of checkin while i've been there in the last week, let alone actually bother to check the app for proof of vaxx. I remember in the first month of checkins being a thing there was some nominal effort but since then I haven't seen anyone out from behind a counter to check, or any kind of security put on to do so. No checks at the counter either although even that would be a half measure given the self serve kiosks.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

You are correct that we won't hit those numbers, because if we do more restrictions will come into place Morrison's promises be damned, however the forecast was specifically a worst case scenario where that doesn't happen, to warn why they might be needed, and nothing you wrote addresses any issues with the modelling.

Sorry, I misunderstood you, I thought you were arguing that we in fact will hit those numbers rather than saying the modelling would be accurate under those specific worst-case deliberate let-her-rip scenarios (which I agree it could be, though probably still wouldn't be because once we got to significant numbers a large chunk of the populace would take it upon themselves to behave more cautiously).

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

:lol:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Is there a hotline in Queensland where we can report businesses that aren’t checking vax status to the police? Because there needs to be.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

A funny observation I just had: they should just let Netflix take control of the COVID pandemic,
given they never let anything run past three
seasons.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I mean for entry. I eat there a lot when I'm doing landscaping jobs and I've never seen anyone ask anyone for proof of checkin while i've been there in the last week, let alone actually bother to check the app for proof of vaxx. I remember in the first month of checkins being a thing there was some nominal effort but since then I haven't seen anyone out from behind a counter to check, or any kind of security put on to do so. No checks at the counter either although even that would be a half measure given the self serve kiosks.

You only need to be vaccinated to sit down and eat right? So if you're ordering take away they wouldn't need to check. Everything gets packaged up for take away most of the time now so I'd imagine that just helps them feign ignorance and not have to deal with staff getting abused for denying some anti vaxxer.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Wizard Master posted:

A funny observation I just had: they should just let Netflix take control of the COVID pandemic,
given they never let anything run past three
seasons.

They'll give you a comedy special with material that strong. What do you think about airplane food?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Fists Up posted:

You only need to be vaccinated to sit down and eat right? So if you're ordering take away they wouldn't need to check. Everything gets packaged up for take away most of the time now so I'd imagine that just helps them feign ignorance and not have to deal with staff getting abused for denying some anti vaxxer.

you're not wrong but its still a pretty lazy cop out given there hasn't been any attempt to enforce qr check ins and given how often other venues get a microscope over them for covid-safe compliance its a huge piss-take that this huge restaurant chain can't figure it out

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

The Peccadillo posted:

Reading about Australia begging for nukes when the British and Americans were doing a lot of test nukes in South Australia is pretty funny

The US were doing nuclear tests in South Australia?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Budzilla posted:

The US were doing nuclear tests in South Australia?

Yeah Emu Field, it was an issue!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Peccadillo posted:

Lies, it was actually just a secret continuation and natural escalation of the emu wars.

We still lost again. :(

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 22, 2021

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

The Peccadillo posted:

They were UK tests.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

dr_rat posted:

Lies, it was actually just a secret continuation and natural escalation of the emu wars.

We still lost again. :(

honestly it was a bad idea to give the emus access to nukes

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Is there a hotline in Queensland where we can report businesses that aren’t checking vax status to the police? Because there needs to be.

I agree. Go hard on enforcement now so it becomes ingrained as a business habit. Don't do what Victoria did and half-heartedly shrug your shoulders!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's one thing to say businesses must check vaccination status, it's totally another to give them absolutely no power to do anything about it.

"Uh, sir, please leave." "NO!"

Not worth getting spat on or thrown down an escalator for minimum wage for a company that doesn't care if you live or die.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

GPs in New South Wales have been left scrambling less than a week before Christmas after the state health department told them they will now be responsible for the management of Covid patients in the community.

On Friday NSW Health informed GPs through the state’s 10 primary health networks that there is a new state-wide approach for the management of low-risk Covid-positive patients, effective immediately. It came as NSW hit another Covid record on Wednesday, reporting 3,763 new cases.

“We were told the week before Christmas, when already many staff are already on leave, with no planning and no protocols in place,” she said. “An urgent meeting is being held so we can be informed how the hell we are supposed to manage this."

:cripes:

Good luck NSW.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/coronavirus/2021/12/22/scott-morrison-sunscreen-covid/

quote:

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has been mocked for a bizarre comparison of mask mandates and sunscreen.

Mr Morrison has recently toughened his commentary against mandates, even as NSW COVID cases soar to daily record levels.

On Wednesday, he was quizzed about NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet’s decision to ditch face marks, as infections started to spiral.

“You don’t have to wait to be told in this country and this is the point I was making yesterday – we’ve all got to be doing sensible things,” he told Nine’s Today show.

“It’s summer, so we should be maximising where we are meeting people outdoors, not indoors.

“We should be washing our hands very regularly. We should be wearing masks indoors when we are in public settings, in shopping centres, things like that.

“We should be doing that. That is the advice.”

Mr Morrison then went a step further. He said the federal government didn’t mandate sunscreen and hats in summer, but many Australians took those precautions anyway.

“In the same way, people should be following that health advice about washing their hands, keeping an appropriate distance, particularly when they’re indoors and wearing masks indoors and especially if you’re around older people and vulnerable people,” he said.

“That is just common sense.”

But social media users were quick to point out that many Australian schools and preschool centres do require sun hats and sunscreen, as do many workplaces.

“Hats and sunscreen mandated for term one and four for students and staff. I’d hate to catch sunburn from one of my students,” wrote one Twitter user.

“Other people not wearing hats and sunscreen don’t endanger the rest of us,” wrote another.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Broelman/status/1473399122258399234

Cpt Soban fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Dec 22, 2021

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Also, doesn't Australia have the highest incidence of melanoma in the world? So we don't mandate sunscreen and hats and people die because they don't do it...Sounds familiar but I just can't quite put my finger on what else this is similar to...

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SuddenCactus posted:

honestly it was a bad idea to give the emus access to nukes

Give access too? I feel you are doing an incredible disservice to many brilliant emu physicists and engineers here created the become of death, destroy of worlds, technological advancements, and to this day often find themselves excluded from publishing in many scientific journals based off, lets just be blunt here, massive bigotry and more than a bit of saw loser syndrome.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
the emu demon core accident was tragic though

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SuddenCactus posted:

the emu demon core accident was tragic though

Oh on that yeah, we can all agree. Do you have any idea how hard it is for an emu to hold a screwdriver? Like it was almost invertible, but yeah, still so sad to hear about. :(

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Friendly Jordies explosive allegation on JohnLikesToLick.

If this is all correct, he lied to ICAC, his laywers lied to the courts AND Google (lol good luck with that), he got the terror police onto someone when they asked him about it and he lied to his family for a decade or more.

Boom.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Comstar posted:

Friendly Jordies explosive allegation on JohnLikesToLick.

If this is all correct, he lied to ICAC, his laywers lied to the courts AND Google (lol good luck with that), he got the terror police onto someone when they asked him about it and he lied to his family for a decade or more.

Boom.

Friendly Jordies may be pretty poo poo, but lately he seems doing a bit of research on liberal poo poo and since the law suits it actually seems to be picked up, so good...?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

dr_rat posted:

Friendly Jordies may be pretty poo poo, but lately he seems doing a bit of research on liberal poo poo and since the law suits it actually seems to be picked up, so good...?

He still sucks rear end but I'll give him slight credit for having the balls to do more on Barilaro after, well. Everything.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

He still sucks rear end but I'll give him slight credit for having the balls to do more on Barilaro after, well. Everything.

Oh no he still sucks, but just at least he's someone who sucks who's putting their effort towards good things.

Super rough analogy a youtube comedian Glenn Greenwald, but center left?

Okay that sounded stupid even as I wrote it.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
It was a massive improvement watching the fj vid on mute with subtitles

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
stop clutching your pearls this poo poo is hilarious

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

But I'm a clumsy gently caress. If I don't clutch my pearls, like they're just gonna be gone man.

Then where while I be? What sort of aussies just gonna go about without their pearls :(

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Budzilla posted:

They were UK tests.

I have wild news for you about Nuclear Weaponry!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I am going to kill you with a bomb that yields several gigatons and is the first of its kind

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/steve_evil/status/1473484230357258242?s=21

Lol

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Haha, there's like 26 vaccines past trial, worldwide. They weren't even close to collecting them, the newbs.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

The Peccadillo posted:

I am going to kill you with a bomb that yields several gigatons and is the first of its kind

lmao please get therapy

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Recoome posted:

lmao please get therapy

No thank you, Recoome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Covid cases today:
NSW - 5715
Vic - 2005

If the federal government has taught me anything it's that growth is a good thing, right?