Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I think this guy was right and the restaurant served literally inedible food. This is unacceptable on the part of the restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
France certainly has roundabouts where the rule is to give way to cars that are joining, but they're thankfully reducing those.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Midnight Voyager posted:

AAAAAAAAAAGH gently caress this guy. Not just doing the thing like a stubborn rear end, but rubbing it in with a grin, like "Haha, I know I'm ruining your day and I love it! You KNOW you'll take care of me!"

Glad she didn't.

Reading that made me think the guy has some sort of suffering fetish.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Variable 5 posted:

These people are called "niceholes". These people will stop on a freeway exit ramp to let you merge if you have a yield sign and they think you've been waiting too long. They will stop in the middle of an intersection while driving straight in order to let you turn left in front of them from the oncoming traffic lane.

Niceholes that drive get people killed.

I despise niceholes, and I'm glad to see people using the term.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Technocrat posted:

France certainly has roundabouts where the rule is to give way to cars that are joining, but they're thankfully reducing those.

Priorité à la droit is one of the more bonkers road rules I've heard of

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Does nicehole apply to people who hold the door to a building open a full 90 degrees while they wait for someone to cross the parking lot to enter and meanwhile freezing cold wind is whipping inside the whole time? And when you say "c'mon man it's freezing out there" they sneer "well I was just trying to be nice" ?

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Variable 5 posted:

These people are called "niceholes". These people will stop on a freeway exit ramp to let you merge if you have a yield sign and they think you've been waiting too long. They will stop in the middle of an intersection while driving straight in order to let you turn left in front of them from the oncoming traffic lane.

Niceholes that drive get people killed.

I was one of these people while on holiday in the US!

A lorry nearly went into the back of me (in slowish traffic) on some kind of multi-lane road because I stopped to let someone turn left at a break in the central reservation. A normal thing to do in the UK. Overall drivers there (New York state) were much more ruthless/unfriendly than in the UK. I found it difficult to change lanes on the motorway because I'd indicate and people would close the gap instead of letting me in. I'll try to drive more selfishly next time :jerkbag:.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Ouhei posted:

Some reverse misery manchild bullshit

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

ilmucche posted:

Priorité à la droit is one of the more bonkers road rules I've heard of

France is full of insane drivers. I saw a guy in Paris lose a front wheel and he didn't even stop. Just tootled off into the distance with sparks flying out of the wheel-well.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ouhei posted:

Yeah, he 100% gets off on having a fuss made of him while he lies in bed being ~ill~; that's why he's ramped it up while she's out working and not ~paying attention~ to him. Pity he didn't go for a partner with a matching nursing fetish; they could have had a long, happy, farty, diarrhoeary marriage. I hope she divorces his whiny arse for playing stupid mind games while she's slaving away supporting them both.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Human Tornada posted:

Does nicehole apply to people who hold the door to a building open a full 90 degrees while they wait for someone to cross the parking lot to enter and meanwhile freezing cold wind is whipping inside the whole time? And when you say "c'mon man it's freezing out there" they sneer "well I was just trying to be nice" ?

Niceholes can appear in any eneadvour

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The entire family is happy to come out of the woodwork to call the OP selfish, but none of them are doing anything to provide for the child themselves. Weird how those things always go together.

I mean yeah, dead sister had to quit her job to take care of the kid, sounds like uncle is going to have to do the same. Especially with his wife travelling around the country now in her new/old job.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

killerwhat posted:

I was one of these people while on holiday in the US!

A lorry nearly went into the back of me (in slowish traffic) on some kind of multi-lane road because I stopped to let someone turn left at a break in the central reservation. A normal thing to do in the UK. Overall drivers there (New York state) were much more ruthless/unfriendly than in the UK. I found it difficult to change lanes on the motorway because I'd indicate and people would close the gap instead of letting me in. I'll try to drive more selfishly next time :jerkbag:.

The Northeast is famously the most fast paced, cutthroat, and impatient regional driving culture in the whole US. To the extent that mild road rage (nothing that leaves your own car of course, we are not animals!) is pretty standard.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Get back in your woodwork.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

darkwasthenight posted:

France is full of insane drivers. I saw a guy in Paris lose a front wheel and he didn't even stop. Just tootled off into the distance with sparks flying out of the wheel-well.

I normally get stuck behind tractors

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

kimbo305 posted:

Trying to guess some ages for this:
Husband: 30
MIL: 55
Grandfather: 70
Amanda: 45

The age difference seems like a critique of both grandfather's and Amanda's character, though once you really get up in age, it doesn't seem as bad to be with someone younger than your kid.

I want to know what the actual ages are.

I was trying to guess too and that was my first thought. She said Amanda was 35 so

MIL is 45
OP and husband early 20s
Grandfather late 60s-70

Also with that dairy one, what the hell is up with reddit equating the term "manchild" with the absolute worst slurs in the English language? I can only imagine that there are mods there who are manchildren themselves.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013
Seems to my simple mind that if you have to regain your sanity by taking a job with long hours and constant travel to get away from your idiot husband and his Autistic niece
you may as well go all the way and divorce.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Technocrat posted:

Watching the traffic from the top of the Arc de Triumph is an unending tragi-comedy that you will never tire of.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

grinning madly at the thought of making GBS threads myself to death

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lumpentroll posted:

it owns

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

There's a poo poo-eating grin, and then there's a poo poo-making GBS threads grin

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

lumpentroll posted:

But enough about my posting

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

lumpentroll posted:

I have never met people who enjoy dairy more than the lactose intolerant.

(I'm aware OPs husband was not simply lactose intolerant)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Deliberately making yourself deathly ill sounds broke brained but not necessarily in a fetish sexy times way.

It can be comforting to have someone look after you. It makes you feel loved and cared for. If your parents were very busy it's possible that it felt like the only time someone cared for you was when you were sick. Your mom would bring you soup and put a cool compress on your head. So it's not about boners, it's about comfort and human connection.

She is working herself to the bone 13 out of every 14 days, and on the 14th day she sensibly wants to rest and recharge. He's out of work and home alone, bored and lonely all day every day. She's gone or asleep all the time. No one is caring for him. He isn't getting his needs met.

When he makes himself sick, she proves that she still cares for him. So he does it again. And again. Gleefully ruining her day off, not because he loves cheese that much, but because he loves forcing her to drop everything and take care of him. He looks forward to it for 13 long days.

Dude needs therapy. Lady needs a divorce.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Trying to imagine other recreational tall people activities after basketball. Noticing the rain before other people? Standing at the front of a concert venue? Taking things off of high shelves?

e: playing games of keep away???

Looming competitions, see who can awkwardly and unintentionally scare the most short people by walking quietly.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they all play horseshoes and lean way way over the line

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

darkwasthenight posted:

I remember when I visited France I figured out that the traffic rules were "if you thought you could get away with it and made a mistake, they'll stop for you. If you just go out expecting them to stop they'll run you over to teach you not to do it again."

Yes, I was one of those dumb tourists crossing the Champs-Elysees far too slowly because I thought of it as sightseeing rather than crossing a very busy street. We flew across the second half of that road once we noticed the light had changed.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

lumpentroll posted:

Just blowing loads while making GBS threads uncontrollably, completely misunderstanding what a cumshitter is.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

limp_cheese posted:

Just blowing loads while making GBS threads uncontrollably, completely misunderstanding what a cumshitter is.

Better a cumshitter than a shitcummer, I always say.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

excellent two-parter from askamanager

I accidentally threw condoms all over my interviewer’s desk

quote:

This week I finally landed my very first Big Post-Pandemic Interview! I studied hard, prepared extensively, and dug my circa-2019 interview clothes out of storage, along with my fancy business satchel and leather binder (the interview required me to bring a portfolio of prior work). I was ready to impress!

I sat down with my interviewer, feeling confident, collegial and chatty; got settled; pulled my portfolio out of my satchel with a self-assured flourish … and not one, not two, but FOUR CONDOMS came sailing out of my bag and went clattering across my interviewer’s desk. (Unopened condoms, to be clear, the kind you might grab a handful of from those fishbowls in certain bars and toss optimistically into your fancy business satchel, just before you spend an entire 16 months having zero need of neither condoms nor satchel … but condoms nonetheless.)

I did my best to gather them up quickly and toss them back into my bag, but clearly the damage was done. My interviewer even had to nudge one of them back to me so I could collect it. We both sort of awkwardly sputtered about it (she said something like, “Oop!”, I said something like, “Guess I need to clean out this bag!” which, ew) before continuing the interview, which I obviously have zero memory of because my brain was no longer anywhere near my body. The interviewer kept it professional throughout, to her great credit, but you can’t exactly put the condoms back in the bag, as they say.

Of course my question is, what do I do now? Do I mention the condom disaster in my post-interview follow-up email? Do I just write off this interview as a loss entirely and not even get back in touch? Do I need to worry about this looking like some sort of sexual harassment (I’m a youngish (gay) man, my interviewer was a woman maybe 20 years my senior)? Do I apologize profusely or pretend it never happened or try to get out ahead of it before I’m known forever in my industry as the guy who threw condoms around the room during his interview??

Any advice you have would be so, so appreciated. (Even if it’s just, make sure to empty out your fancy business satchel before your next interview, which, lesson learned!)

Update:

quote:

I’m so thrilled to already have an update for you about the infamous Condom Throwing Incident.

First things first: I GOT THE JOB! The second interview I was called in for was not in fact a Mandated Anti-Deviancy Seminar but rather a Meet the Whole Team and Welcome Aboard situation. It all went so well that I couldn’t believe it; everyone was thrilled to have me get started, and I was so excited to be there (and so relieved that the condom situation was apparently behind us) (hah).

I spent the week shadowing / training with my initial interviewer (the condom incident eyewitness), and we hit it off so well that I almost wondered if I should bring up what had happened in my interview, just to clear the air. But she didn’t mention it, so I didn’t mention it. I figured everyone involved had just chosen to quietly look the other way, and my story would just live on via first date conversations / embarrassing story competitions for the rest of my life — or something to finally fess up to at my retirement party in forty years. All’s well that ends well, right?

Now here’s the real fun part: a few days after my official start, I was invited to a post-work happy hour with all my new colleagues. After a few cocktails and a long hilarious one-on-one chat with my new BFF, my interviewer/trainer/new colleague, I had to get it off my chest: I brought up the incident. I brought up the incident!! I had barely gotten the story (confession?) out before she started laughing so hard she had to sit down.

TURNS OUT: she did in fact remember the Condom Incident, but just barely — because as soon as we had concluded our initial interview, she had gone to the restroom and realized she had had lipstick all over her front teeth all the way through our conversation. News to me: I hadn’t noticed the lipstick because I was so mortified about the condoms; she barely remembered the condoms because she had been so mortified about the lipstick. My Condom Incident was her Lipstick Incident!

So despite the fact that I seem to have stumbled into some sort of workplace Three Stooges episode, we’re all good. After we picked ourselves up off the floor, we swore each other to secrecy, and I think I’m going to fit in just fine. The end!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

SiKboy posted:

Kill husband, kiss sofa, marry snacks.

Kill, marry, and kiss???

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Metis of the Hallways posted:

excellent two-parter from askamanager

I accidentally threw condoms all over my interviewer’s desk

Update:

I hate to ruin the magic but “I didn’t notice because I was preoccupied with $similar_mishap. Let’s both never talk about it again” is how a polite tactful person says “stfu creeper”

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for calling my brothers fiancée an ungrateful bitch?

quote:

My parents (65&53) paid off everyone’s (my siblings and their partners) student loan debt as a Christmas gift this year. I am very aware of how privileged I am to have parents that were able to do this for me.

My parents were able to help their three children (M30, M27, F27) through college so we collectively had little student loan debt compared to most. I think between the three of us they paid around 80k (and two of us have higher level degrees). My boyfriend is going through paramedic/rookie school and they’re paying for the half the city he works in isn’t paying. He’s incredibly grateful and actually cried when he read the Christmas card.

However, my oldest brothers fiancée was actively rude and incredibly ungrateful about her gift. Keep in mind her student loan debt/credit card debt so high it became a source of contention between my brother and her because once they get married he will take on her debt. My parents have been aware and worried because right now my brother is in good financial standing. So, they gave both my brother and his fiancée the gift of not only paying off her student loan debt (she has a Masters in education and 120k in student loan debt) but also her credit card debt as a Christmas/early Wedding gift. In total probably about 250k! Not to compare $$$ but my student loan debt was 25k and I was thrilled to not have to worry about that anymore.

My brothers fiancée couldn’t even pretend to be grateful. She kind of gave a fake smile and then went off to the guest bedroom to literally CRY ABOUT IT! Not happy tears, but “tears of disappointment”. She made a massive scene and acted super sad and told my brother my parents were acting selfishly because they were worried about him and not what would make her happy (which apparently was a particular $3,000 handbag). She claimed she wasn’t worried about her student loan debt because it will probably be forgiven anyways (I doubt that) and that my brother makes enough to pay off her credit card debt himself (he makes 80k btw, she makes like 65k…not enough to comfortable get rid of over $100,000 worth of credit card debt that is growing rapidly!)

My parents were upset but kept quiet but I had enough and loudly proclaimed while she was in the next room that she was an “ungrateful little bitch”.

Everyone got angry at me. My brother and his fiancée left and my parents said I didn’t need to escalate the situation but I can’t handle anymore holidays with someone so entitled.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?

if your parents are that rich why did you have student debt to start with
just so they can make a big deal of it later???

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Mx. posted:

if your parents are that rich why did you have student debt to start with
just so they can make a big deal of it later???
Erm, that's a very uncharitable read. I read it as the parents were helping them as much as they could and recently some investments paid off or they sold their business or something, so had an excess of money.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Kill, marry, and kiss???

Only Rick James may gently caress couches

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Trying to imagine other recreational tall people activities after basketball. Noticing the rain before other people? Standing at the front of a concert venue? Taking things off of high shelves?

e: playing games of keep away???

In theory, billiards, volleyball, tennis, maybe. In my experience, it's reaching things on tall shelves and wanging your head on things. But, I'm only 6'1".

emptyspace fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 4, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dik Hz posted:

I hate to ruin the magic but “I didn’t notice because I was preoccupied with $similar_mishap. Let’s both never talk about it again” is how a polite tactful person says “stfu creeper”

She did a big belly laugh about it after already having a long amicable convo with OP. She doesn’t read as trying to cut him off.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

nah

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

ArbitraryC posted:

There was a commute to work I had for a couple years where it started as a 70 mph freeway, dropped to 60 for a dense set of exits, then transitioned into a highway on the way out of town. I tend to go up to 5mph over the speed limit as for most roads in town that's basically the average flow of traffic, so basically every morning I'd be cruising along, passing a couple cars doing closer to 70, getting passed by cars doing closer to 80, but mostly just staying within a pack of commuters. Then we'd hit the 60 zone and basically no one would change their speed so I was always left with the awkward choice of now being a rolling blockade going about 10 mph under the flow of traffic by going 65, or just joining the average that was now closer to 15 over the speed limit as posted. I hated it.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I am an extremely nervous driver, and I would never claim to be a good one. On the other hand, there's a roundabout near our tourist town, and everybody uses it correctly, including (apparently) the tourists. It's a miracle.

And how DID you two like driving in the Boston area. (I know that there's other places that are bad like this, but especially rotary talk screams Boston/Southeastern MA)

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for customising my burger

This reminds me heavily of my favorite Onion article, Frustrated Dad At Restaurant Just Wants A Normal Burger

Not calling it fake, I just find that article the perfect summation of that mindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

kimbo305 posted:

She did a big belly laugh about it after already having a long amicable convo with OP. She doesn’t read as trying to cut him off.
From the very reliable narrator who thinks their interviewer who is training him is now their BFF after a week.

quote:

a few days after my official start, I was invited to a post-work happy hour with all my new colleagues. After a few cocktails and a long hilarious one-on-one chat with my new BFF, my interviewer/trainer/new colleague,