Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

Rcm spoilers. Lets not forget the implication that the RCM is the continuation of the communists from the last war which makes them pretty unlike most real world police forces which are very much the opposite end of that spectrum

Except for the plans of some of the leading figures, I don't really see that as being much more than a name. In practice the RCM is just regular old police (and it's mentioned again and again that any old thug can become a policeman) with what seems like a fancy name (also after the revolution and in the Soviet Union police used to be called "Militia", which is still a colloquial name for police, and they really were just police).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also a big deal about Revachol is that while it once was capital of the world, it's now more colonised than coloniser.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Randarkman posted:

Except for the plans of some of the leading figures, I don't really see that as being much more than a name. In practice the RCM is just regular old police (and it's mentioned again and again that any old thug can become a policeman) with what seems like a fancy name (also after the revolution and in the Soviet Union police used to be called "Militia", which is still a colloquial name for police, and they really were just police).

Some of the old case files do indicate that the RCM goes a bit beyond policing; cleaning up public spaces is typically a job for municipal workers, and organising public referendums would be a huge departure from how we expect the police to act and indicative of a much more loose societal structure in south Revachol. I always got the vibe that the RCM is pretty heavily involved in the civil governance of the poorer areas of Revachol where the coalition government is unwilling to get involved; part of the reason they're hated so much in Martinase is that they refused to get involved themselves and so the Union stepped into that role instead.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

no, it was there in the release. it is one of the most suggestive yet also one of the most subtle references in the game, I wrote about it in the other thread
?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I have recorded the intro 35 minutes of the game in order to send to my therapist, after the game came up last session. Now, I'm not saying that this is explicitly an attempt to get her to buy and play the game, but it would be a nice bonus.

This is a good and productive use of my time and money. This is actually the lord's work.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
How did this man record so much dialogue. How did he not die.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Vagabong posted:

Some of the old case files do indicate that the RCM goes a bit beyond policing; cleaning up public spaces is typically a job for municipal workers, and organising public referendums would be a huge departure from how we expect the police to act and indicative of a much more loose societal structure in south Revachol. I always got the vibe that the RCM is pretty heavily involved in the civil governance of the poorer areas of Revachol where the coalition government is unwilling to get involved; part of the reason they're hated so much in Martinase is that they refused to get involved themselves and so the Union stepped into that role instead.

That's a good point, though that could possibly also be because Revachol is still essentially under military occupation and the RCM is essentially what passes for a a middle man/local enforcer and implementer of the temporary Moralintern administration.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

YggiDee posted:

He took breaks silly

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
On the other hand Kim doesn't actively try stopping you from shooting Cunoesse

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

YggiDee posted:

There's an interview with Lenval Brown, the narrator, here:

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/we-talk-to-disco-elysiums-incredible-narrator-who-recorded-350000-words-of-dialogue-and-has-never-acted-before/

edit: having just read it there are some unmarked spoilers. Tread carefully, sire

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 5, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

EorayMel posted:

On the other hand Kim doesn't actively try stopping you from shooting Cunoesse

What’s he gonna do? You have his gun.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Randarkman posted:

You’re not thinking French enough think like the National Guard during revolution.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

You can tell Kim you hate him because of his race, you can tell him you believe in a fascist wonderland where people like him are second class citizens and women are possessions, and he'll still give you his gun. In Kim's mind supporting a fellow officer is more important than the fact that Harry lost his badge, his gun, and all of his memory. That alone should be enough for Kim to never hand you a weapon. It's the same brain disease that made people cry "such a tragedy, but what can you do?" during the George Floyd protests: moralism.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bar Ran Dun posted:

You’re not thinking French enough think like the National Guard during revolution.

a bourgeois liberal militia? that doesn't seem right.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Cpt_Obvious posted:

You can tell Kim you hate him because of his race, you can tell him you believe in a fascist wonderland where people like him are second class citizens and women are possessions, and he'll still give you his gun. In Kim's mind supporting a fellow officer is more important than the fact that Harry lost his badge, his gun, and all of his memory. That alone should be enough for Kim to never hand you a weapon. It's the same brain disease that made people cry "such a tragedy, but what can you do?" during the George Floyd protests: moralism.

Look, he just really wants that body to no longer be in the tree

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Unrelated to kim but regarding another moralist failing the drama red check with the sunday friend on telling him who is the dangerous fugitive doing corporate espionage will result in you try blaming it on Cuno and you can support your reasoning by saying he throws rocks at a corpse, has a drug kingpin dad, , he steals bugs OR that he is a ginger and that is good enough to arrest him on the grounds of corporate espionage

:buddy:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

the previous thread, pre-final cut

e: I'll eventually fetch that one

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Kim is, after all, a moralist. It's easy to lose sight of this because he's also everybody's best friend we would all die for, but his relationship to power and authority is very, very heavily informed by this

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

Huh, when I got that drama check and failed it on my last run I had the option to say Cuno was guilty because "he used slurs at my crime scene". There should have a been a "he won't talk to me and let me progress with a bunch of quests I need him for" option, depriving a superstar detective of Content should be a felony.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Epic High Five posted:

Kim is, after all, a moralist. It's easy to lose sight of this because he's also everybody's best friend we would all die for, but his relationship to power and authority is very, very heavily informed by this

I would classify Kim as a Weak Moralist. He identifies as such because that's the system he exists and works under and he doesn't have a desire to rock the status quo, in comparison to someone like Sunday Friend that holds it as a stronger ideological position. Maybe that's not the best way to define it, but I don't think he's moralist in the same way

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Kim may be a moralist, but he is not The World's Most Laughable Centrist

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

christmas boots posted:

I would classify Kim as a Weak Moralist. He identifies as such because that's the system he exists and works under and he doesn't have a desire to rock the status quo, in comparison to someone like Sunday Friend that holds it as a stronger ideological position. Maybe that's not the best way to define it, but I don't think he's moralist in the same way

Making excuses for a moralist? How moralist of you

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

christmas boots posted:

He's a moralist but is pretty clearly mostly because so much of his worldview is tied up in his duties and loyalties to his co-workers, which is a slightly better match than ultraliberal which he also mentioned being

Honestly a lot of his actions are probably best explained by his awareness of your reputation going into it and that he isn't sure what is you becoming completely unmoored from reality and what is you using an "unconventional approach"

He's very clearly not exactly happy much of the time but goes with it anyway

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

McCloud posted:

Authority (Legendary: Success): You’re not not going to take that kind of insult, are you?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Woolie VS with the best commentary on the rear end in a top hat sunday friend (starts at 15:30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6KmboWOaKY&t=935s

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hey, so, uh, Half-Light has started telling me some weird poo poo. What language is that? Is this Greek? Should I be concerned?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

YggiDee posted:

Hey, so, uh, Half-Light has started telling me some weird poo poo. What language is that? Is this Greek? Should I be concerned?

The end is nigh

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Wrr posted:

I have recorded the intro 35 minutes of the game in order to send to my therapist, after the game came up last session. Now, I'm not saying that this is explicitly an attempt to get her to buy and play the game, but it would be a nice bonus.

This is a good and productive use of my time and money. This is actually the lord's work.
Finger On The Eject Button is the only reference material I need

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm trying to play this dude as a guy who's trying to improve but then Pain Threshold or the Thought Cabinet or whoever gives me one of most ghastly, beautiful lines I'll ever read and I can't not click it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TACD posted:

Finger On The Eject Button is the only reference material I need

In the entire game, even as a huge communist who recognizes when they are owned, that's the Thought that I avoid like a plague because it's..well it's just

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The one problem with being a Sorry Cop is that it takes all of the anticipation out of the red dice rolls. I already know I failed because I healed morale before the numbers hit.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

McCloud posted:

:sbahj:

christmas boots posted:

Authority (Legendary: Success): You’re not not going to take that kind of insult, are you?

:drat:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

punishedkissinger posted:

a bourgeois liberal militia? that doesn't seem right.

This is probably important, they created the Paris commune. Ya know the Communards?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

YggiDee posted:

The one problem with being a Sorry Cop is that it takes all of the anticipation out of the red dice rolls. I already know I failed because I healed morale before the numbers hit.

Isn't preemptively knowing that you failed the whole point of being a sorry cop?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I started my third playthrough, first since the Final Cut came out. I’m going 6/2/2/2: all in on logic and the other reasoning skills. Trying to play as a sort of emotionless data sponge. So far it’s going well. It’s neat seeing all the new dialogue that logic and encyclopedia keeps picking up on. Like I don’t know my name, but I knew the name of Kim’s car and new specific details and history of heavy cavalry. I need a new game in this setting, it’s too beautiful not to be used forever.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i love having a high visual calculus, especially when paired with being a huge drunken gently caress-up party-boy

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

and also in the game

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bar Ran Dun posted:

This is probably important, they created the Paris commune. Ya know the Communards?

oh derp. i was thinking '89 not '71

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So. How do I feel about Disco Elysium? Well, I finished the game, watched the credits, and then after spending an hour trying to do anything else I immediately opened an older save and just did the ending again because I wanted to see what changed if certain die rolls went differently. (oh no Rose, oh no Kim, uhhhh Cuno?! Then the batteries on my Switch controller went out and you know how long those fuckers last. Game good! It's real good!