Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

More like Novax Djokovic

Novax Djocovid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They're so used to being able to use 'But YOUR TAX MONEY' as an excuse not to help anyone that they just stumble when it's an issue that effects everyone.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Senor Tron posted:

It's also one of the first times that they've gone all in on abandoning the "we're all in this together" type messaging with a policy that is clearly "gently caress poor people".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
In a very Grant Denyer voice: "Meanwhile in Immigration, A tennis player is being questioned about his vaccination status"

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

lol

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Now that all the horses are out, it's time to think about shutting the gate.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/nightclubs-to-close-surgery-restricted-as-safety-measures-return-to-nsw-20220106-p59m9b.html

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/cait__kelly/status/1478935207981957124

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Good for them, the last few years have taught me that more people than I realised never watch the news

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
lol there's already reports of senior NSW Libs talking about wanting to roll Perrottet because they think he's handled things so badly by totally ditching all Covid measures in December against health advice that it will surely cost them the 2023 election

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

lih posted:

lol there's already reports of senior NSW Libs talking about wanting to roll Perrottet because they think he's handled things so badly by totally ditching all Covid measures in December against health advice that it will surely cost them the 2023 election

He really has been a disaster but what are people gonna do? Vote Labor?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

lih posted:

Are Gladys would never have done this.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

lih posted:

Can they roll themselves as well? He didn't do it to himself. Pack of morons if you ask me.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

lih posted:

Haha, like hell voters will remember anything that's happened now by the time 2023 rolls around. I mean its Perrottet so he will hundred percent gently caress up many more times before then but like jeusus just remember how hated morission was after the bush fires, and couple month later completely bounced back because people are idiots.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

dr_rat posted:

Haha, like hell voters will remember anything that's happened now by the time 2023 rolls around. I mean its Perrottet so he will hundred percent gently caress up many more times before then but like jeusus just remember how hated morission was after the bush fires, and couple month later completely bounced back because people are idiots.

of course no one will remember anything, we'll all have covid induced memory loss

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
yeah I don't think Perrottet's failures so far have will that much bearing on the NSW election that's still over a year away (unfortunately) because so much can happen in that time but it's funny that some of the NSW Libs are already tearing themselves apart over this and going "we're doomed!!!". & of course he's set to announce new restrictions today which will infuriate the other half of the party too

QLD government is now saying they expect cases to peak at the end of the month & are probably going to extend school holidays a week or two

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

dr_rat posted:

Even during that period there was a lot of "What was he supposed to do? It has been a stressful time, he deserves a holiday just like anyone else."

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Finally QLD gets over 10K in 1 day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00w1HGqyxTM

I have to give NSW some credit with our porous border.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I've been wondering what the best ever year for humanity was now that I'm sure we've already seen it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Phigs posted:

I've been wondering what the best ever year for humanity was now that I'm sure we've already seen it.

2021, 1964, 1960, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1955, 1948, 1941, 1940, 1939, 1926, 1900 all strong contenders imo

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
its gotta be 1969. Moon landing. Sex number. Summer of Love. 1969 has it all.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Phigs posted:

By what metrics?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I'd like to say thank you to Gladys for her "let's wait and see" strategy when that limo (?) driver got infected shuttling airplane staff around.

starkebn posted:

Feels like Sydney is adamant to stick to the "gently caress around" strategy

It seems we're really finding out how mild this wave is

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

2021, 1964, 1960, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1955, 1948, 1941, 1940, 1939, 1926, 1900 all strong contenders imo

Can you elaborate.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Senor Tron posted:

By what metrics?

Middle-class straight white male with no pre-existing medical issues living in a developed nation.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Amoeba102 posted:

Can you elaborate.

Melbourne Demons premierships

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Middle-class straight white male with no pre-existing medical issues living in a developed nation.

Non-white and poor people doing really well with COVID right now and will be doing even better as climate change progresses further.

Just overall quality of life across the world. My personal quality of life has been progressively improving these last few years tbh, beyond having to watch other people suffer needlessly and worrying about people getting sick. But the rest of the world is going to poo poo.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

thatfatkid posted:

Melbourne Demons premierships

Oh. Pfft.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Phigs posted:

1998 easy

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Phigs posted:

Just overall quality of life across the world. My personal quality of life has been progressively improving these last few years tbh, beyond having to watch other people suffer needlessly and worrying about people getting sick. But the rest of the world is going to poo poo.

Most of the world, on average, is healthier, more prosperous, more at peace and more democratic than it has been for most of human history; if you're going to be born in e.g. sub-Saharan Africa you're better off being born in 2000 than 1950.

Of course the 1% are increasingly controlling more of the world's wealth, there are still thousands of nuclear weapons on a hair trigger, and we're slowly cooking the earth, but if you only look in the rear-view mirror we're doing pretty well so far!

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Phigs posted:

It's 1998

edit:

JBP posted:

1998 easy

beaten

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Matrix was right.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

freebooter posted:

Most of the world, on average, is healthier, more prosperous, more at peace and more democratic than it has been for most of human history; if you're going to be born in e.g. sub-Saharan Africa you're better off being born in 2000 than 1950.

Of course the 1% are increasingly controlling more of the world's wealth, there are still thousands of nuclear weapons on a hair trigger, and we're slowly cooking the earth, but if you only look in the rear-view mirror we're doing pretty well so far!

I feel like COVID has done that in though. More than that it's convinced me we will never do anything about climate change. I already knew we'd be too late to act, but now I'm convinced we won't do anything at all, except whatever horrible things we do to the refugees.

While Australia (sorta) held out I felt like maybe we could pull through and be the model for the rest of the world to point to and be like "hey look that's how we can deal with this thing" but now only China stands and nobody in the West wants to point out that China is doing something right. Australia is now just "proof" that nothing else can be done. So COVID is just going to cycle through the world over and over and if we're lucky maybe it doesn't evolve a worse variant and just kills and disables millions every year while the world gets hotter and the oceans acidify.

Maybe the West figures it's poo poo out in time to do something. Maybe the world rotates to China and they do something without doing extra horrible poo poo on top and also the West doesn't completely lose its poo poo about it. But meh. I feel like it's all down-hill from here. We've set ourselves on a crash course and then abandoned the driver's seat.

I cannot overemphasize how illustrative the COVID response failure has been to me. Just a complete failure of a country. Such a failure of a species. We had the chance to keep COVID out of this island nation. We could have. And we didn't. gently caress me what a pathetic showing.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Phigs posted:

So COVID is just going to cycle through the world over and over and if we're lucky maybe it doesn't evolve a worse variant and just kills and disables millions every year while the world gets hotter and the oceans acidify.

I think viruses tend to become more contagious but less deadly over time. A virus that kills its host is less successful than one that doesn't.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I think there's a lot of factors that go into whether a virus gets less deadly and I don't think COVID is particularly well set up for that since it can spread asymptomatically already, has a lowish mortality rate, and takes a while to kill its host even when it does. Though it could I suppose. But regardless of that, if we only get out of this crisis by it naturally getting better by itself over years while we do nothing about it then it does not bode well for our ability to deal with climate change.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'm of two minds about the global COVID response as it portends to climate change. On the one hand the failure of governments to co-operate, the spread of misinformation etc all bodes poorly; on the other hand the immediate development and mass distribution of multiple vaccines within the space of 12-24 months bodes well for the moonshot technology solutions (which are the only things at this point that will mitigate climate change anyway).

Also re: COVID in the developing world it's obviously not ideal to throw in another disease to worry about, but the risk of malaria, HIV/AIDS, cholera and dysentery - all mostly vanquished in the West generations ago - is in the mix every day for hundreds of millions if not billions of people. One of the reasons many Westerners have found COVID so disconcerting is it's the first time since our grandparents' or great-grandparents' generation that we've had to genuinely worry about coming into contact with a serious and widespread illness. As historical pandemics go it's not even on par with the Spanish flu so I wouldn't exactly talk about it being some kind of end-of-days switch-flipping moment.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/naveenjrazik/status/1479281049339252740

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
he's real good at being cunty

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Phigs posted:

Lots of words

What's so disheartening is that for nearly two years, we kept it at bay, but now our governance has collectively decided it's just too hard - meanwhile the overwhelming sentiment from not just my social circles but from the general public is that it wasn't really that hard to deal with, and this is so much loving worse

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Not sure if the hosts are cowards or the strongest people alive for not dying from rolled eyes.

Phigs posted:

There was an article the other day from some random science blog that cognitive decline issues like dementia had sharply decreased, with people speculating phasing leaded petrol out was a major cause. There was another study the other day saying young people in the similar period were loving a whole lot less than those before them, but of course that's related to the rise of internet, facebook etc.

The best time to be alive is always right loving now because lol science blogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I think the UK should use that as evidence that we are using biological warfare to win the ashes