Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

cyberia posted:

What has happened to zinequest? With the pandemic making shipping so expensive and challenging, pdf zines are the only thing I've really backed in the last few years.

Zinequest was Luke Crane's baby, so it (presumably) got pushed aside after his fuckery and departure, and suddenly people are asking 'so how will Zinequest work this year?' and the new head of games did not have anything prepared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is zinequest the sort of thing that really needs luke crane in order to keep going?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I’m a little leery of backing so many zinequest games this year. Of course it’s cool that a ton of indie creators are able to put out these micro rpgs, but I’ve gotten kinda burned on a couple from last year that still haven’t fulfilled and go silent for like half a year. They’re just a bit risky.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

djfooboo posted:

Hot take: as publishers become more conservative due to pandemic woes KS will maintain market share if not grow despite blockchain dumbness

I agree with the idea that the pre-order hype culture of crowdfunding will remain, but if a competitor like Gamefound can find purchase, it may not just be Kickstarter growing. We'll see if that can actually happen, of course.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

FirstAidKite posted:

Is zinequest the sort of thing that really needs luke crane in order to keep going?

No, but it seems like no one at kickstarter remembered it's a thing that happens every year and thus didn't do whatever backend work they needed to do until people brought it up. Thus the announced delay till the summer.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

FirstAidKite posted:

Only Luke Crane needs Luke Crane in order to keep going.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Final Girl Series 2 (and reprint of 1) is up now.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vanrydergames/final-girl-series-2

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I see it's an "evolmorph" now.

I love the chart that just shows me "squared".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AJ's been in the Van Ryder discord begging people to stop backing because they were breaking stretch goal targets faster than he could post updates. It's taken more in the first six hours than was required to unlock the final stretch of the S1 campaign.

I suggested they change the Necromorph to Star Beast or The Passenger, but they had their own ideas. :cenobite:

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Jedit posted:

AJ's been in the Van Ryder discord begging people to stop backing because they were breaking stretch goal targets faster than he could post updates. It's taken more in the first six hours than was required to unlock the final stretch of the S1 campaign.

I suggested they change the Necromorph to Star Beast or The Passenger, but they had their own ideas. :cenobite:

Hate to add to there misery but I jumped on and grabbed all of Series 2. Never heard of the game but reviews of series 1 are fantastic and the game looks like my cup of tea
The movie baddies are right up my alley and I love a good 80's slasher. Trying to fight the urge to grab all series 1 currently as well

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 11, 2022

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Remember they are still doing NFT poo poo

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I was trying to remember why I wanted to avoid them, thanks.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

FirstAidKite posted:

Remember they are still doing NFT poo poo

Kickstarter or Van Ryder specifically?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Memnaelar posted:

Kickstarter or Van Ryder specifically?
Yes, Van Ryder specifically.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I spent a chunk of this evening trying (and failing) to set up a project on Gamefound and I can see why they're not really a Kickstarter competitor.

Like, it doesn't need to be this difficult to sell things!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It also has like 1% the audience of Kickstarter. It's a non-starter for anyone but established companies with a built in audience.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

It also has like 1% the audience of Kickstarter. It's a non-starter for anyone but established companies with a built in audience.

This has been the thing I keep coming back to as someone who was planning on doing a crowdfunded project this year. None of the existing alternatives are in a place where I could confidently or reliably expect to be able to actually meet the sort of funding goal I would want for my project. Gamefound has a very small audience and, thus far, not a lot of "foot traffic" exposure, plus it's apparently an overly complicated pain in the rear end to use, and while a lot of people are touting itchfunding as a thing, every itchfunding project I've looked at is asking for $1000-$2000 and most of those aren't even half funded. I don't see how else it's possible currently for smaller creators to run projects with goals of, like, $10-20k without using Kickstarter. That's Hard Wired Island territory, not a very unreasonable sum and definitely not "retire to an island" money, but on any platform other than Kickstarter I don't think something like that would fund right now.

Like I gotta be honest, it has been incredibly demoralizing and depressing to go "2022 is the year I go ahead and really give this project my all" and then this poo poo happens.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 12, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah same. They announced the blockchain crap when my campaign had 4 days left and 87% of my funding came from KS native discovery. I already had two follow up campaigns planned and moving to another platform would be giving up a lot of that audience plus any growth the KS audience would provide.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

JazzFlight posted:

I’m a little leery of backing so many zinequest games this year. Of course it’s cool that a ton of indie creators are able to put out these micro rpgs, but I’ve gotten kinda burned on a couple from last year that still haven’t fulfilled and go silent for like half a year. They’re just a bit risky.

I canceled my plans to run one this year, but mostly over Kickstarter's cryptocurrency bullshit.

Their utter silence since posting defending it, while getting dragged in the comments on everything else they've posted, apparently wasn't enough to make someone up the chain twig to their fungibility as a platform.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 12, 2022

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Liquid Communism posted:

I canceled my plans to run one this year, but mostly over Kickstarter's cryptocurrency bullshit.

Their utter silence since posting defending it, while getting dragged in the comments on everything else they've posted, apparently wasn't enough to make someone up the chain twig to their fungibility as a platform.

Right now, and probably through 2022 at least, Kickstarter doesn't have to care, because they're still the biggest game in town when it comes to crowdfunding not just tabletop games but anything. Until that meaningfully changes, they can do whatever they want and it probably isn't going to budge the needle for them. I say this as someone who would absolutely love there to be some real, serious, meaningful competition to Kickstarter as a crowdfunding platform, but right now that just isn't the case. Big names with established followings could probably make the jump from KS to, say, Gamefound and still see reasonable success, but anyone who isn't a big name with a big following is going to be in for a rough time.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yeah. If it wasn't for the wreckage it'd make of a lot of indy gamemakers' finances, I'd be wanting to see KS go the way of Tumblr and just completely lose their audience.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
There was a podcast interview recently with Jay Dragon of Possum Creek Games, maker of Wanderhome, that goes into the situation in some detail at least from her perspective. She says that both Gamefound and IndieGoGo have reached out to her recently, hinting that they're potentially putting out feelers to try and onboard more TRPG stuff (Wanderhome, for those unaware, raised over $300,000 on Kickstarter), but she also acknowledges that right now she can't really blame anyone for still using Kickstarter because even as lovely as they are in numerous respects (anti-union efforts, complete non-communication with creators, blockchain bullshit, etc) they're still the best shot the average person has at getting their project off the ground.

e; but to be clear, something she very strongly emphasizes in this interview is that creators, even if they continue to use Kickstarter, should be making plans to jump ship when feasible because the way KS handled the blockchain thing is them very clearly stating that they do not give a poo poo about what creators think. Do not bank on Kickstarter being a reliable, supportive platform. Engage with them the way you would any temporarily beneficial but ultimately hostile business relationship, and don't put down roots.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 12, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What's Kickstarter doing with blockchain?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Luring a bunch of stupid venture capitalists. Beyond that? gently caress all.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Bottom Liner posted:

Luring a bunch of stupid venture capitalists. Beyond that? gently caress all.

Offloading even more responsibility, including for payments.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ilmucche posted:

What's Kickstarter doing with blockchain?

Literally nobody knows, including Kickstarter themselves, beyond giving venture capitalists a bunch of boners, at the absolute best it's them jumping on a bandwagon to juice their valuation, but it could also be them testing the waters for other future crypto or NFT related poo poo like the Discord CEO was coyly teasing.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How is this game Final Girl? Anyone here play it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How is this game Final Girl? Anyone here play it?

I've played it once and will play it a few times more before I back S2. It's mechanically sound and thematically great, but it's ballbreakingly hard and it's possible to lose during setup. My game was like that; the replays will be to see if that's common or just an unlucky combination of starting event and victim placement. If it's the latter then it's maybe one in 20-30 games max, and you can fudge that by redrawing the killer events if they come up at the start.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I don't understand why solo board games need to dial the difficulty up to 11. I bought veilwraith and I haven't played more than a few games because it's so frustratingly hard.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't understand why solo board games need to dial the difficulty up to 11. I bought veilwraith and I haven't played more than a few games because it's so frustratingly hard.

I understand the need to have that difficulty -- it makes it replayable by virtue of being difficult to win -- but I don't understand why they don't give the solo game difficulty sliders. If you can't design difficulty sliders in your solo game, don't make a solo game component.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

homullus posted:

I understand the need to have that difficulty -- it makes it replayable by virtue of being difficult to win -- but I don't understand why they don't give the solo game difficulty sliders. If you can't design difficulty sliders in your solo game, don't make a solo game component.

Final Girl does have sliders that can be adjusted to make the game easier if you want. Give yourself 7 time units per round instead of 6, or 3 extra time units in the first round. Start the terror track one space lower. Don't give the killer a final health token, or give yourself two and pick the best on reveal. You're not playing the game as designed, but it's a solo game so why worry?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Jedit posted:

Final Girl does have sliders that can be adjusted to make the game easier if you want. Give yourself 7 time units per round instead of 6, or 3 extra time units in the first round. Start the terror track one space lower. Don't give the killer a final health token, or give yourself two and pick the best on reveal. You're not playing the game as designed, but it's a solo game so why worry?

Are those adjustments in the rules as options? If they are, you are playing the game as designed. If they aren't, it's a failure of game design.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Kai Tave posted:

Right now, and probably through 2022 at least, Kickstarter doesn't have to care, because they're still the biggest game in town when it comes to crowdfunding not just tabletop games but anything. Until that meaningfully changes, they can do whatever they want and it probably isn't going to budge the needle for them. I say this as someone who would absolutely love there to be some real, serious, meaningful competition to Kickstarter as a crowdfunding platform, but right now that just isn't the case. Big names with established followings could probably make the jump from KS to, say, Gamefound and still see reasonable success, but anyone who isn't a big name with a big following is going to be in for a rough time.

Yeah, the only one I can think of who did it recently was Chip Theory, and that was with an expansion to their biggest game, so they knew they'd have an audience wherever they put it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does anyone know if KS takes a cut from a pledge manager? Like if I pay $1 to get access to a backerkit, throw an additional $59 or whatever into the backerkit to get the thing I want, does KS take a cut off the $1 or the $60?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jedit posted:

It's good that those are options. I'd want the designers to give me a little guidance on how different options affect the difficulty, since they know the game better than I do. Or, I guess, an enthusiastic fan.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Does anyone know if KS takes a cut from a pledge manager? Like if I pay $1 to get access to a backerkit, throw an additional $59 or whatever into the backerkit to get the thing I want, does KS take a cut off the $1 or the $60?

Not the ones I’ve seen. But those pledge managers take a bigger cut than KS does (separate issue, I know). Truly no good options for creators or backers as long as KS sucks on this rotten egg.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jedit posted:

Yeah I was able to complete a game of veilwraith by flipping all the upgrade tokens over, based on a misread of the rules, which made me happy until I found out that wasn't right. I'd rather a game be moderately difficult with difficulty increases rather than starts off difficult with easier modes available.

It's much easier to convince myself to continue if I'm not slamming into a wall right from the get go, but no one's asking for "click this circled button" like some tutorials

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

GrandpaPants posted:

KS gets a cut of the $1, and none of the other $59, in your example.

Pledge managers have their own costs but some of them offer a lot of valuable features.

Pledge managers appeared because a) KS had no really meaningful tools for fulfillment (i.e. the nuts and bolts of managing orders, shipping, etc) and b) KS pledge levels were always very plain & had no way to let people add-on things to their order, or expand their pledge later, or pick and choose pledge contents, or even handle shipping costs with any nuance whatsoever.

KS has made meaningful progress on basically ONE of those fronts (you can do add-ons to pledges now) but pledge managers still offer a lot of value, especially the larger a campaign gets.

I think a lot of it comes from KS's "we are not a store" angle, so they have always been pretty hands off about fulfillment tools.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
Backerkit probably has a better chance of building a new crowdfunding platform than most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I think the solo game with the best difficulty sliders are Spirit Island and For Science! Which has a plethora of difficulty adjustments in the rulebook. Eric is obviously a fan of that sort of thing.