Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

JT Jag posted:

Gonna have to contemplate what team I do support instead though (no AFC South Teams nor the Pittsburgh Steelers may apply)

My recommendation is the Tennessee Titans Cincinnati Bengals, because you'll still root for feline mascot, young quarterback, fun wide receiver, everything the Jags could be if they weren't Jagging it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
One of the Jaguars' main sponsors is pulling out and is suing the team for breach of contract because a bunch of fans are planning a "clown out" this sunday.

https://sports.yahoo.com/jaguars-sponsor-sues-to-have-name-removed-from-game-due-to-impending-clown-invasion-231113471.html

Jaguars sponsor sues to have name removed from game due to impending clown invasion

quote:

Why would a company go to such measures to not receive the lucrative exposure of an NFL sponsorship it paid for? The answer is things have become so bad in Jacksonville that fans are beginning to revolt against team leadership, with calls for team owner Shad Khan to fire general manager Trent Baalke.

Those fans have landed on clowns as the avatar of their ire. A litany of fans has already changed its social media profile pictures to a clown emoji, featuring Khan's trademark mustache, and now there are apparently plans for scores of fans to show up on Sunday in full clown regalia.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Duuuuuuuuvalllllll!!!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jags won't win but how funny would this be?

If the Indianapolis Colts lose to the Jacksonville Jaguars on Saturday, both the Los Angeles Chargers and Las Vegas Raiders would make the playoffs if their Sunday Night Football matchup ended in a tie. Several have floated out the idea that, in the event of a Jaguars win, both the Chargers and Raiders take turns kneeling for 70 straight minutes to ensure their playoff berths.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2022/01/07/nissan-stadium-upgrades-plans-underway-tennessee-titans/9093029002/

Nashville over the next several years is spending over $1billion to reshape a HUGE and mostly unused section of East Nashville along the Cumberland River, that will change the future landscape of the city in huge ways. I guess upgrading the stadium is the cheaper play, but why not just spend a couple hundred mil more and build a new one?

quote:

The Tennessee Titans are charging into the NFL playoffs with a chance to win their conference for the first time in 14 years.

And as excitement grows around the Nashville's football team, a new vision for the fan experience -- at Titans games and concerts at Nissan Stadium -- is taking shape. Plans now underway envision up to $600 million in upgrades at the 23-year-old stadium over three seasons. Around it, a new neighborhood and entertainment district will spring up with new transit connections and parks.

"Every corner" of the 1990s-era stadium is in play, said Titans President Burke Nihill.

"I think if either the city or the Titans were pushing for something more basic we would’ve been done with this a long time ago. But we’re pushing for something that’s exceptional," Nihill said. "Our highest priority is to win the Super Bowl, but this is the top priority behind that."

Metro officials are obligated to deliver the team a "first-class" stadium, according to the original 22-year-old lease agreement.

But a budget deficit and pandemic continued to delay major deferred maintenance projects in recent years.

Now, an elaborate deal is expected to be finalized in the coming months to finance the redesigned stadium and district without relying on general taxpayer funds. A new lease will spell out funding streams for more regular ongoing renovations.

A 130-acre stretch of urban riverside will become a new tax district, redirecting lucrative future sales tax payments into stadium maintenance and upgrades.

“It’s going to be important to present to the community a stadium-solve which allows us to not only keep the team and to have a Super Bowl, but that has no burden on the general taxpayer,” Cooper said. “A lot of the work that’s been going on is then creating Nashville’s next great neighborhood around the stadium.”

Metro Sports Authority, the stadium's landlord, could issue $300 million in bonds to be repaid with local and state taxes from the district. The Titans will finance another $300 million along with other private investors developing in the district.

Nashville's popularity positions it for plenty of free-flowing capital. The region is named the best U.S. investment area in 2022 by PwC, one of the world's leading accounting firms, and the Urban Land Institute.

Mayor John Cooper is seeking to seize on the moment with an elaborate private-public development strategy to guide billions of dollars to fill out hundreds of acres of underutilized industrial riverfront on the downtown banks of the Cumberland River.

"There's a whole lot of (investors with) capital that would like to come to Nashville and be part of the next great chapter of our city," Cooper said. "It's quite something to be an international icon of investment."

At some point in the next few months, a new lease between the Titans and Metro Sports Authority is expected to be finalized.

District design plans to be released include:

A large reserve for parks and connected walking paths.
An "activated riverfront" with boat docks, waterside dining and canoe launches.
Plenty of social media-friendly experiences.
A variety of stadium lounge experiences.
Technology and infrastructure upgrades throughout the stadium.
A concessions overhaul with convenient, tech-savvy vendors and a range of sit-down options.
Options to more easily repurpose the stadium for concerts and other events.
A roof is not included in plans and would cost an additional $400 million.

"We're trying to create a sense of place," Nihill said. "This isn't just a simple stadium deal, this is something where we're trying to take a current stadium lease that is antiquated and doesn't work for the city or the team -- we're trying to find a really elegant solution that delivers a great result for the citizens of Nashville in terms of building to world-class standards."

A new wide boulevard, or "transit spine," will run through the Nissan Stadium district, connecting it to other new major development areas around the river, according to plans now in the works.

River North, the Riverside and downtown's Second and First avenues will develop and expand sprawling sections of downtown on the long-neglected east bank.

Already, rapid development is transforming much of East Nashville's neighborhoods with dense residential and shopping districts.

Oracle Corp. is building a second U.S. campus on a 65-acre stretch of the east bank criss-crossed with green space and water features at River North.

The company promised to front cash for Metro officials to erect a pedestrian bridge connecting the east bank with downtown.

An 18-acre private development is already moving forward two blocks north of the stadium at 111 N. 1st St.

Developer RMR Group is seeking rezoning permissions to redevelop the former truck servicing yard. They hope to build a "dynamic mixed-use neighborhood," company officials said.

"We continue to work with our project team to finalize a master plan for the 18+ acre site that will include a broad mix of uses and building types oriented around a central green space," said RMR Group Vice President Jesse Abair. "Our proposal for a people-centric, live-work-play development would provide a critical link between downtown and east Nashville."

The future of downtown Nashville will continue to revolve around its landmarks including the stadium, Music City Center and museums, officials said.

A bevy of new events are lining up for the stadium as leaders seek to maximize its use.

"We would not be in the World Cup conversation. We wouldn't have hosted the NFL Draft or have the NHL Stadium Series if it wasn't for the stadium," Nashville Convention and Visitors Corp. CEO Butch Spyridon said. "The list goes on and on.

"When you take us compared to other cities, there's a sizzle that comes with Nashville because of the entertainment industry. It keeps building and reinforcing that there's something special going on. You can't buy that kind of aura."

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
None of that stuff affects me since I live out of state but I’m glad they aren’t doing a roof.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I moved out of Nashville a few years ago and do not regret it one bit

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Metapod posted:

Lol you won't root for a different team
Possibly, but the Jaguars aren't getting my emotional investment in 2022 either way if that happens

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I'm glad the Jaguars lost.

I'm glad because I'm not sure I would be able to hold myself to this decision if they had won.

I had an amazing seat for the game, and was perfectly placed to see the hit made on DJ Chark, doot do do do do do. This is a kid who has been every bit the upstanding citizen, and builds schools in Haiti with his wealth. What I realized when I was asked to watch a player lower his eyes to the grass and drive the crown of his helmet through DJ’s head over and over is that the NFL doesn't care at all about these people. I guess I always knew that but it really drove the point home.

The NFL reviewed the play to see whether their idiotic notion of what is and isn't a catch was held to. They reviewed the play to see whether DJ’s wrist touched the ground. They reviewed the play to see if he was able to hold on to a bit of leather as he lost consciousness. They forced us to watch Big Jeff do exactly what they claim to be trying to prevent over twenty times. I finally came to terms with the fact that the reason the NFL doesn't make a more serious effort to enforce these penalties is because they don't give a drat about DJ Chark, doot do do do do do. As I watched fans throw cans and bottles at the officials I realized that had more to do with the colors on the uniforms than the fact that that one hit will almost certainly have a major impact on the kid's life. I like the team because I like the players.

Players don't give a poo poo about personal fouls because they're called arbitrarily, and until the NFL makes personal fouls reviewable I am not consuming another second of football. I should stop outright regardless, but I love the game. I will miss chatting with y'all but I can't justify following a sport that has such flagrant disregard for the welfare of its players. I'll see y'all in other subforums.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

BiggerBoat posted:

One of the Jaguars' main sponsors is pulling out and is suing the team for breach of contract because a bunch of fans are planning a "clown out" this sunday.

https://sports.yahoo.com/jaguars-sponsor-sues-to-have-name-removed-from-game-due-to-impending-clown-invasion-231113471.html

Jaguars sponsor sues to have name removed from game due to impending clown invasion

You left out the best part

quote:

The deal reportedly includes a provision allowing RoofClaim to terminate the agreement should Urban Meyer be fired as Jaguars head coach.

lol

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I love that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I'm glad the Jaguars lost.

I'm glad because I'm not sure I would be able to hold myself to this decision if they had won.

I had an amazing seat for the game, and was perfectly placed to see the hit made on DJ Chark, doot do do do do do. This is a kid who has been every bit the upstanding citizen, and builds schools in Haiti with his wealth. What I realized when I was asked to watch a player lower his eyes to the grass and drive the crown of his helmet through DJ’s head over and over is that the NFL doesn't care at all about these people. I guess I always knew that but it really drove the point home.

The NFL reviewed the play to see whether their idiotic notion of what is and isn't a catch was held to. They reviewed the play to see whether DJ’s wrist touched the ground. They reviewed the play to see if he was able to hold on to a bit of leather as he lost consciousness. They forced us to watch Big Jeff do exactly what they claim to be trying to prevent over twenty times. I finally came to terms with the fact that the reason the NFL doesn't make a more serious effort to enforce these penalties is because they don't give a drat about DJ Chark, doot do do do do do. As I watched fans throw cans and bottles at the officials I realized that had more to do with the colors on the uniforms than the fact that that one hit will almost certainly have a major impact on the kid's life. I like the team because I like the players.

Players don't give a poo poo about personal fouls because they're called arbitrarily, and until the NFL makes personal fouls reviewable I am not consuming another second of football. I should stop outright regardless, but I love the game. I will miss chatting with y'all but I can't justify following a sport that has such flagrant disregard for the welfare of its players. I'll see y'all in other subforums.

Good post

And you're right. They don't give a rat's rear end about their workers.

It bugs me a lot when I listen to coworkers and what not talking about how over payed these guys are and how lucky they are to be playing a game that they themselves would play for fun for free. Or how NCAA players and the college game is better because they "play for the love of the game", get a "free" education and shouldn't be paid. The exploitation of collegiate athletes is, to me, even worse than what goes on in the NFL but it's the same poo poo.

I tell those people to go out there and play ONE series. See how long they last. Play for a college team and balance that with having to attend classes. And that all these players are one wrong play away from being crippled or maimed for life. I mention that they're in the top .01 percentile of being the best at their jobs. Even the worst professional players (in any sport) are among the very best people on the planet that can do what they do. For every dollar that they get paid, someone else who never gets their head caved in or gets leg whipped makes 10. Or more. I hear a lot of people say that these players don't deserve their money. What if you were the best (insert trivial job here ___________) on the planet and millions of people wanted to watch you do it? What if it were dangerous?

There's a resentment that most of the public has for these guys that makes no loving sense to me. It extends to actors, artists, writers and musicians too. People think that because it's sometimes fun, enjoyable and it's not 9 to 5 in a "real job" that it's not hard work and there's no sacrifice made to achieve success or any kind of unique talent required to pull it off.

What's the average career span of an NFL player? 3 years?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Possibly, but the Jaguars aren't getting my emotional investment in 2022 either way if that happens

You shouldn't give them any investment. I'm an Eagles fan and have seen some really lovely, horribly managed teams with terrible play across the board but I've never seen anything quite like this. I've lived in ATL and SF and seen those franchises struggle too but the way Jacksonville runs this franchise borders on outright contempt for their fans and the city (at worst) and total indifference (at best).

It's the only real professional game in town and boy do they let you know it. We have a minor league baseball and hockey team but you know what? We have a minor league NFL team as well but, man, they don't act like it. They've made the game day experience increasingly harder over the years for fans to enjoy and afford (parking, buying tickets, concessions, security) and throw their political and economic weight around the city as if Shad Kahn is doing everyone a favor by deigning to even exist here and allow us to watch this poo poo show.

It's hard to describe but it's an incredibly bush league experience from top to bottom and it shows on the field. I'd rather be a Jets, Lions, Giants, WFT or even Texans fan. Those organizations are horrible jokes too but at least there's a history there and, in Houston's case, some success for such a young franchise. But you almost have to see the way this Jags franchise is run - and how it's BEEN run - to really appreciate how low rent it is.

Nobody wants to play for this team or work for them and it's kind of a shame because the fans are loyal, love football and we had some success early on in the Coughlin days.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
My namea big jeff

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Big Jeffery

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
TIIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHTEEEEEEENNNUUUUUUUUUPPPP

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Bring in the clowns

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

let it be known I will never stop throwing shade at the colts if they lose to the jaguars today

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Westbrook-Ikhine has great hands

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

fat randy doing fat randy things

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
rob bironas didn't die for this

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Titans starting out well motivated to get that #1 seed I see.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Bring in the clowns

They're on the field right now playing the Colts.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kirios posted:

let it be known I will never stop throwing shade at the colts if they lose to the jaguars today

It would be deserved

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
BIG JEFF BLOCK

e: lol

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
BIG JEFF

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Metapod posted:

BIG JEFF

:flag:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol loving stupid rear end titans

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kind of weird that in the final week of the schedule how few of these games have any real playoff implications and that the Jags' game is one of them.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

BiggerBoat posted:

They're on the field right now playing for the Colts.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Demon Of The Fall posted:

lol loving stupid rear end titans

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Titans starting out well motivated to get that #1 seed I see.

Please regale us with more chicken little bullshit. Our thread really needed its own Chez neckbeard.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Also, not AFCS related but wtf is GB doing playing Rodgers right now at 13-3 against DET? Or do they not have the top seed sown up? Also, DAL went the whole game last night with their starters. Wonder why?

LOL @ Jacksonville owning the gently caress out of Indy right now.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Do the Colts not realize that they wil miss the playoffs if they lose this game? How do you lay this wet of a fart with everything at stake?!

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Team QBed by Carson Wentz in "losing a game they shouldn't" shocker

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Please regale us with more chicken little bullshit. Our thread really needed its own Chez neckbeard.

Yeah we’ve been playing like poo poo aside from the 2nd quarter. I’ll keep postin

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Would be cool to play some offense and defense this half

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kirios posted:

Do the Colts not realize that they wil miss the playoffs if they lose this game? How do you lay this wet of a fart with everything at stake?!

It's amazing. The Jaguars are Bad News Bears levels of god awful this year and seemed to have packed it in even before Meyer was shitcanned. Wentz has taken 6 sacks. Jags have NOTHING to play for and IND has it all on the line. I can't loving believe this.

Anyone know offhand what a Colts loss does for the Eagles draft pick they got for Wentz? I'm a Philly fan who follows Jax because I live in NE FL and need an AFC team to root for who would like it very much if a JAX win moved PHI up several spots in the draft.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
that was a ridiculous play by tannehill to possibly save the game

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

BiggerBoat posted:

It's amazing. The Jaguars are Bad News Bears levels of god awful this year and seemed to have packed it in even before Meyer was shitcanned. Wentz has taken 6 sacks. Jags have NOTHING to play for and IND has it all on the line. I can't loving believe this.

Anyone know offhand what a Colts loss does for the Eagles draft pick they got for Wentz? I'm a Philly fan who follows Jax because I live in NE FL and need an AFC team to root for who would like it very much if a JAX win moved PHI up several spots in the draft.

At this point I think it doesn’t effect the first round pick regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wentz has easily played 75% of the snaps. It's a first regardless.