Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Forty minutes in the open seas at night drunk as a skunk is completely survivable right? Especially if you're an out of shape dork right?
I assume that there's a silent understanding whenever a code Oscar goes out to other nearby ships that it's always more of a recovery mission rather than a rescue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Shauna sent her brother to prison, right?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Where are they cruising? Water temperature and density of shipping/availability of air S&R will be a big factor. It's night though, and he wasn't wearing a float, there's no reason to think he would have any durable light source on him. He'd be a bitch to find.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
https://twitter.com/fmarciuliano/status/1482353550055424001

Mutts

Sally Forth Retro-Fest-O-Rama

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (May 1-2, 1934)

Peanuts (January 16-18, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 15-17, 1938)

Out Our Way (January 20-22, 1938)

Toonerville Folks (August 5-7, 1918)

Duck's Dippy Delusion (by Dok) (December 8, 1913)

Sometimes Little Lefty isn't nearly as in the past as we'd prefer it to be. (December 5-7, 1935)

I'm assuming that pre-fab buildings that have been cluttering up the former playground of my former elementary school for the past (checks calendar) couple of decades don't have these specific problems. Also, I don't remember our school having a cellar, so that's a leg up on depression-era New York City, I guess.

Today in Blondie (From Zero): A happy ending? This early on? Oh, pull the other one. (July 16-18, 1931)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 15, 2022

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Kennel posted:

Yeah, sometime time after the events of Scary-Go-Round but before Bad Machinery. The details weren't mentioned until The Case of the Missing Piece, the second-to-last Bad Machinery story. IIRC Allison said that he removed Darren (her brother) from Bad Machinery because her step-father Dan filled the role that Darren had held.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Powered Descent posted:

The main Comics Kingdom site is still having major issues, but https://v7.comicskingdom.net/ is up and running. The only difference seems to be that for strips that are available in both square and horizontal-strip aspect ratios, this version of the site will provide the horizontal ones, which explains why Bizarro is longer and skinnier than normal today.
:toot:

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

(other comics later because I'm lazy)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Even from beyond the grave, Wilbur finds ways to make everything worse for Estelle than they have to be, convincing her he died by suicide because she turned him down.

No, but really, what value did this "workshop" provide that staying home and taking an online quiz would not? Even at the beginning when it looked like Luann might get some personalized guidance, it just came down to giving her a self-test anyway. And even telling someone, "You would make a good Teacher/Lawyer/Ballerina" isn't helping them find work.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 15, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So Wilbur’s just going to be rescued and that’s that? Not even an interval on a desert island first? That’s a huge let-down.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

As unrealistic as Wilbur surviving is, I think it will happen, because it's Mary Worth. Then Estelle will "realize" how much he means to her when she thought he was really gone, and it will all be terrible.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Holy poo poo these people just absolutely hate each other and themselves

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I hope they just find a floating body. It would be drama.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

The Bloop posted:

Say what now

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Like all of those funkies winkerbeans could've been Lockhorns except the Lockhorns actually love each other at the end of the day

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

goatface posted:

I hope they just find a floating body. It would be drama.

Could he have survived the fall?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The last we saw of Wilbur was a quickly fading bubbly cluster of the wide, open, cold sea and that was, in universe, at least 20 minutes ago

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

spookygonk posted:

Could he have survived the fall?

People have survived much greater falls onto water and ground, but also they weren't shitfaced middle aged men so

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Theoretically? Yes. Humans can survive a lot of things if the universe decides to roll those dice. Probability is not on his side for doing it without some form of serious injury.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

There'll be no accusations, just friendly crustaceans

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cruise ships are required too be equipped with a minimum of two rescue boats, however, said boats only move at 6 knots, much slower than the cruise ship (~20 knots as mentioned a few pages back), so I assume turning the ship around to get to Wilbur's approximate location then using the rescue boats to find and rescue him is relatively normal operation.

Not that it matters, assuming he survived a multiple story fall into the water, can tread water for a good hour, and didn't get eaten by sharks, they're still trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
OK, when's the next "You need to lose weight, Ed" strip?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Endless Mike posted:

Cruise ships are required too be equipped with a minimum of two rescue boats, however, said boats only move at 6 knots, much slower than the cruise ship (~20 knots as mentioned a few pages back), so I assume turning the ship around to get to Wilbur's approximate location then using the rescue boats to find and rescue him is relatively normal operation.

Not that it matters, assuming he survived a multiple story fall into the water, can tread water for a good hour, and didn't get eaten by sharks, they're still trying to find a needle in a haystack.

tbf it is a very fat needle

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

This ground was well trod by the Dysfunctional Family Circus.

Holy poo poo, I had never heard of this!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Holy poo poo, I had never heard of this!

As someone who contributed a few captions to the DFC back in the day, thanks for helping me feel old. (But then, I am old.)

Like a lot of edgy 90s humor, the DFC hasn't aged particularly well, but it'll probably be floating around the internet forever.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
I'll take "is found barely alive, lingers in a coma for a few months, has a 'this was your life' dream sequence and then dies."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

That really have to be an incredible uncomfortable chair. Basically just a piece of cold rock without even a small cushion.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Alhazred posted:

That really have to be an incredible uncomfortable chair. Basically just a piece of cold rock without even a small cushion.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba
One of the things I love about Maruoka is that he leans into the trope and has fun with it, but the thing about "will they or won't they" is that they never can.

Emi in those last two panels is my favorite Emi though.

ChaCha Chako: New chapter!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Giant Ethicist posted:

but the thing about "will they or won't they" is that they never can.

*pulling back hammer on revolver*

I disagree.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Kennel posted:

Yep. The thread had much vigorous debate on the subject as to how much resentment Darren was allowed to reasonably have over the issue. On the one end, she was maybe ten years old. On the other end, Shauna's actions had disastrously hosed up consequences for Darren even beyond the prison time, because he'd taken out a small loan right before being pinched that had completely ballooned out of control to an unmanageably large number by the time he got out and could pay it again.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break

Old School Peanuts (Apr 16, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 28-29, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

How indeed, Estelle. How indeed.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

The captain has to think about ship liability first and foremost. "He ignored the sign!"

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Murdstone posted:

How indeed, Estelle. How indeed.
If Wilbur survives, can posters please spoiler post Mary Worth in the future for those of with sensitive constitutions with respect to stupid plotlines?

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

curtadams posted:

If Wilbur survives, can posters please spoiler post Mary Worth in the future for those of with sensitive constitutions with respect to stupid plotlines?

You fool! Now the recovery strip will be spoiled no matter how it turns out, just to keep us in suspense!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Doomykins posted:

*pulling back hammer on revolver*

I disagree.

lol

you broke my grill posted:

The captain has to think about ship liability first and foremost. "He ignored the sign!"

"The camera footage shows that he jumped because some selfish woman broke his heart. If I were her, I'd feel hella guilty for not marrying him."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

curtadams posted:

This made me laugh pretty hard.