Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Raldikuk posted:

We aren't even good at the bombing anymore either, see Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, et al

Lybia was a success. The goal was to stop panarabism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Raldikuk posted:

We aren't even good at the bombing anymore either, see Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, et al

bombs are only used to kill people. unfortunately for the world we are still quite good at that.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

the primary purpose for bombing is to loot the public coffers and enrich the war profiteers, the dead people and destabilized regions are just a bonus

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

super sweet best pal posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1482087905820618759

The more stories I see like this, the more I think the Democrats are doomed in November. The "Everything's fine, back to normal" viewpoint doesn't work when people are constantly seeing signs of collapse.

I hope it sees Republicans get enough in the senate to impeach Biden and Kamala.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Yes, but their outlook is one where they win either way. Either the minorities vote Dem and they can feel pride in being allies, or they don't vote Dem and they can finally have the sweet release of saying all the insanely racist poo poo they feel deep down.

they're itching to say what they really think about cholos so bad

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Liberals sighing as they unsheathe their N key when more black people vote for trump than biden.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

really queer Christmas posted:

Liberals sighing as they unsheathe their N key when more black people vote for trump than biden.

"Neighbors"

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Crowsbeak posted:

I hope it sees Republicans get enough in the senate to impeach Biden and Kamala.

I'm legitimately looking forward to the supreme Court deciding Kamala isn't able to take the presidency on grounds of citizenship due to the type of birthright citizenship she would have wasn't decided on until long after she was born and people in similar circumstances born contemporaneously to her not being granted citizenship.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Noblesse Obliged posted:

blue states tried to fight Covid harder to spite Trump and then promptly stopped when Befuddled Boy Blue got in.

At the end of the day it was about "believe the Science" father petty political tribalism.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
What year are Democrats going to get destroyed in?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

bi crimes posted:

Trump railed against institutional authority and sowed distrust and skepticism. Biden weaponized science and institutions to make people feel permitted to throw away their masks and act immune, and to trust authorities that are putting out dangerous misinformation in the pursuit of short term profiteering. Trump sent out trump bucks. Biden still owes me money. I give Trump a 25/100, and Biden a 0

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
trump clip from the rally where he does his biden impression is loving incredible, if he runs he wins. he calls biden an angry confused old man who doesn't know where he is

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SgtMongoose posted:

Anyone who thinks Hillary "won" those debates bought and still buys the media narrative that she was just the best ever and should be checked for residual brainworms.

Link's to the stage show reproduction of the debates where they flipped the genders of Trump and Hillary to "prove" he won due to misogamy. Turns out Trump would win even harder as a woman.

Yeah I watched those debates and I don't know how anyone could come off thinking Hillary wrecked Trump. He embarrassed himself a few times because he's a moron (like ranting about how he has the best temperament while the audience laughed at him), but Clinton's performance was absolutely horrible so it was more like a draw at best.

Trump: *correctly explains why NAFTA was a bad deal for millions of American workers*
Clinton: "well that's your opinion" :smug:

How do you lose a policy argument to Donald Trump of all people (answer: because your record of shameless flipflopping put you on the wrong side of a bunch of issues but you can't admit you were ever wrong no matter how obviously wrong you were that even Trump can remember a few facts about it from an index card)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ram dass in hell posted:

trump clip from the rally where he does his biden impression is loving incredible, if he runs he wins. he calls biden an angry confused old man who doesn't know where he is

Trump would run again just so he could have even ego puffing cult adoration and also being able to do Sleepy Joe impressions.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

B.F. Pinkerton posted:

I dunno, Hillary was possibly the most obnoxious candidate in American political history, and yet she still managed to nab the third, now fifth, most votes in American electoral history. All Sinema has to do is yasssss queen slay her way to the White House and avoid making any corny remarks and she should be good as gold

Hillary presented herself as a serious competent managerial type and did have an actual record of accomplishment in the Senate to run on like CHIP. She was also really obnoxious because she had a record of terrible stuff too and her defense for it was either a bunch of big word debate-lord sophistry or a stern lecture or whatever, but that kind of thing does actually appeal to some people, and some other people are willing to get over it because again she did occasionally do a good thing even while opposing better things.

Sinema is just relentlessly annoying with no redeeming qualities whatsoever to anyone except other relentlessly annoying assholes. She wears gently caress Off rings and her senate record is just her grandstanding in the spotlight and saying no to almost everything with no rhyme or reason, even refusing poo poo that even Hillary of all people could be convinced to support.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

porfiria posted:

What year are Democrats going to get destroyed in?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's more accurate to think of Sinema as the liberal Dan Crenshaw, only she doesn't even have enough support to make cringey meme videos thank God.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

She was also really obnoxious because she had a record of terrible stuff too and her defense for it was either a bunch of big word debate-lord sophistry or a stern lecture or whatever, but that kind of thing does actually appeal to some people, and some other people are willing to get over it because again she did occasionally do a good thing even while opposing better things.
The media launders failure as 'experience'

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You do not, under any circumstances, have to hand it to Hillary Clinton.

gently caress her, she should be strung up for war crimes, gently caress her supporters.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I think it's a bad idea to compare anyone to Hillary simply because she's hated in a way and to such a degree that she's unique in history. I'm not certain any lessons are to be learned because no one else is the target of such loathing.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

You do not, under any circumstances, have to hand it to Hillary Clinton.

gently caress her, she should be strung up for war crimes, gently caress her supporters.

It's really tough for me to pick the most loathsome story from all the years she spent in DC

Like the One Ring Obama made a mistake of not completely destroying Crooked Hillary and the Clintonite network when he had the chance.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ANGUR! :yooge:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

LastInLine posted:

I think it's a bad idea to compare anyone to Hillary simply because she's hated in a way and to such a degree that she's unique in history. I'm not certain any lessons are to be learned because no one else is the target of such loathing.

I was reading about David Axelrod for unrelated reasons and I was amazed at how much Hillary just aggressively refused to ever learn from her failures

quote:

While the Clinton campaign chose a strategy that emphasized experience, Axelrod helped to craft the Obama campaign's main theme of "change." He was critical of the Clinton campaign's positioning, and said that "being the consummate Washington insider is not where you want to be in a year when people want change...[Clinton's] initial strategic positioning was wrong and kind of played into our hands."[45] The change message played a factor in Obama's victory in the Iowa caucuses. "Just over half of [Iowa's] Democratic caucus-goers said change was the No. 1 factor they were looking for in a candidate, and 51 percent of those voters chose Barack Obama," said CNN senior political analyst Bill Schneider. "That compares to only 19 percent of 'change' caucus-goers who preferred Clinton."[46] Axelrod also believed that the Clinton campaign underestimated the importance of the caucus states. "For all the talent and the money they had over there," says Axelrod, "they—bewilderingly—seemed to have little understanding for the caucuses and how important they would become."[46] In the 2008 primary season, Obama won a majority of the states that use the caucus format.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

vyelkin posted:

I was reading about David Axelrod for unrelated reasons and I was amazed at how much Hillary just aggressively refused to ever learn from her failures

The Crooked Hillary loss to Trump was more of the same hubris and massive strategic errors despite how she raised a massive GE warchest against Trump.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

cagliostr0 posted:

I'm legitimately looking forward to the supreme Court deciding Kamala isn't able to take the presidency on grounds of citizenship due to the type of birthright citizenship she would have wasn't decided on until long after she was born and people in similar circumstances born contemporaneously to her not being granted citizenship.

Wait what? I didn't know anything about this.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

etalian posted:

The Crooked Hillary loss to Trump was more of the same hubris and massive strategic errors despite how she raised a massive GE warchest against Trump.

That's exactly what I mean, like she lost in 2008 and then learned nothing from it and just went on to make all the exact same mistakes and lose again in an even more humiliating way eight years later.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I wouldn't say she learned nothing from 2008

She learned that she needed to buy out the DNC before the primary and ban any challenger with name recognition if she wanted to be the nominee

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I still love that Hillary could have won if she campaigned on any policies. Especially policies with popular support.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

It's incredible that she won as many votes as she did with her incompetent campaign, being deeply unpopular, smug, unlikable, bad with the public, bad at speaking, and being a war criminal

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
war crimes were never detrimental to us presidential campaigns.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

bi crimes posted:

It's incredible that she won as many votes as she did with her incompetent campaign, being deeply unpopular, smug, unlikable, bad with the public, bad at speaking, and being a war criminal

well I mean look at the other guy

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bi crimes posted:

Hillary winning in 2016 is honestly a testament to Obama’s dgaf attitude as to anything else lol

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

well I mean look at the other guy

Yeah the single biggest factor in 2016 was how much of an unknown quantity Trump was at the time and that's an advantage that the dems will simply never have again. The fact that Hillary could be one mistake away winning is a testament to that because in any other election her performance would represent the absolute floor of what the dems could accomplish.

I should clarify that it's not like there won't be worse gop candidates than Trump moving forward, there certainly will be. That said they'll undoubtedly be more known, which will always benefit the republicans. The dems really only benefit when they run against someone whose gop bona fides are shaky because it's the only time gop voters consider defecting.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hillary Clinton wants to be President but does not really want to do anything as President, she just wants to be President

Unfortunately for her she is a member of a party that wants to be in a comfortable second place forever

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Vim Fuego posted:

I still love that Hillary could have won if she campaigned.

Fixed it. Remember how she refused to campaign in Michigan and Wisconsin?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hillary believed she was participating in a bit of pageantry in which she would ascend through the shattered glass ceiling to her rightful throne after symbolically slaying the living avatar of the Patriarchy in ritual combat.

To campaign beyond saying the ritual words "look at how bad the Bad Man is" was considered singularly unnecessary.

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
I feel that I have gone from very much hating Mr Trump, to ironically enjoying his antics because there was nothing else pleasurable in this bleak existance but to stare into the piss sea of absurdity, to admiring him for at least enraging my enemy who pretends to be a friend but fucks my sister when I'm not around, to wanting Trump to gently caress my sister.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

interesting to think about how dynamic the '80 campaign was with the anderson third party run and the hostage crisis

edit going over the numbers, if things shifted ~8 points carter could have won the election without the electoral votes from CT OR WA VA NJ CA FL NM CO NH AZ NV to illustrate just how much the map has changed since the completion of the southern realignment and/or goes to show just how impossible his candidacy was in the first place due to continuing trends

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 05:38 on Jan 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

someusername posted:

I feel that I have gone from very much hating Mr Trump, to ironically enjoying his antics because there was nothing else pleasurable in this bleak existance but to stare into the piss sea of absurdity, to admiring him for at least enraging my enemy who pretends to be a friend but fucks my sister when I'm not around, to wanting Trump to gently caress my sister.

:yooge: MANY SUCH CASES!