Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Don't know nothing about no healing, but lots more death, that's a certainty. I hope the immunologists hard at work come up with something from somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

captainbananas posted:

https://twitter.com/denise_dewald/status/1488132244300603399

the letter to Zients can be found in full here:

https://welch.house.gov/sites/welch.house.gov/files/WH Nurse Staffing.pdf

It really is some Statute of Laborers poo poo, with the thin veneer of targeting "staffing agencies" instead of the nurses themselves.

well, the good news is that peter welch will not be vermont's house representative this time next year

but there's some bad news....

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

captainbananas posted:

It really is some Statute of Laborers poo poo, with the thin veneer of targeting "staffing agencies" instead of the nurses themselves.

this poo poo has me seething mad.

like I'm unsurprised, particularly after that thing in Wisconsin, but still

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

this is american "journalism"

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Lol, As someone who worked for two travel nurse companies (support role) for years, they must be freaking the gently caress out about this.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

how does that work without entire industries collapsing though
Like I can see how they can bulldoze through short-term but eventually you run out of people to feed to the grinder

People are a renewable resource :911:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tulip posted:

E gochujang is really good, with some peanut butter and soy sauce to can make some great tofu

You'd be surprised by how deep the bench can go. An Shi Rebellion marks basically the halfway point for the Tang and was a far more radical population loss than what we're looking at so far. Most states survived Black Death largely intact though with a 50 year period of insane poo poo like laws that capped the price of labor. The Roman Emperor who saw 20% of his capital die of plague still got to be known as "the Great."

Reduced state capacity is a bland term for a very very lovely experience (like the collapse of the Western Roman Empire is a canonical example) but it generally only cascades slowly.

We're still very far from a "smallpox entering the Americas" type event, which is the sort of plague that truly obliterates governments.

neoliberal capitalism was already collapsing in 2019. The only reason it has puttered along was because of the covid emergency measures. the plague is giving us a rare double collapse, not often seen in history

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I suppose historically true but at the same time we are a much more intimately integrated spider-web of dependencies than we have ever been, globally. Maybe if it was just America culling its service industry people could ignore it but the supply chain and chip shortages and all that aren't going to get less hosed over time and we're not set up to be an entirely self-sufficient country, it's not feasible

We're looking at wild inflation at best on top of service industry collapse

Sure. I mean I want to be clear, the events I listed utterly sucked to live through, especially for the 99%! "Ratcheting down of state capacity" is something we can see at the level of "quality of pottery" and "size of skeletons" in the archeological record.

High level institutions can be incredibly durable, especially if they're good at quashing alternatives or recapitulating resistance. The rest of get to garden and bury children.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

i am harry posted:

this is american "journalism"

Not normal: when a friends kid is being asked to stay out of school while they are positive for covid

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

captainbananas posted:

This isn’t going to help hospital CEO bonuses because nurses will hit. the. bricks. if this goes through.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Lmao just read the Matty piece. The hardest day of that man's life was when his doordasher didn't check to see if the dressing was on the side

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Rutibex posted:

neoliberal capitalism was already collapsing in 2019. The only reason it has puttered along was because of the covid emergency measures. the plague is giving us a rare double collapse, not often seen in history

If you think that's what civilization collapsing looks like you're the most optimistic person on earth.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

platzapS posted:

Thread, help me improve my office

There are three people sitting in this lil call center. Floor area about 262 sq ft. Volume ~2100 ft^3.

why can't you do this job from home

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Business Gorillas posted:

Lmao just read the Matty piece. The hardest day of that man's life was when his doordasher didn't check to see if the dressing was on the side

It’s so weird how he mentions vaccines lower risk but nothing in the under 5 crowd who still can’t be vaccinated :thunk:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
From 10 days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TedRRX1JSkk

oh ya well gosh shur better cap their pay tho

whywouldnchya

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

captainbananas posted:

Gonna be a lot of "nurse shortage crisis" thinkpieces if this poo poo goes through.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the company will also pay for a fisher price work at home desk apparently

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tulip posted:

If you think that's what civilization collapsing looks like you're the most optimistic person on earth.

there is an overwhelming daily deluge of propaganda telling us "we are ok this is normal nothing it collapsing" that's a heck of a lot more dire than the collapse of the western Roman Empire. most people wouldn't have even noticed that, maybe the tax collector fails to show up

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Rutibex posted:

there is an overwhelming daily deluge of propaganda telling us "we are ok this is normal nothing it collapsing" that's a heck of a lot more dire than the collapse of the western Roman Empire. most people wouldn't have even noticed that, maybe the tax collector fails to show up

I'd say were officially at collapse when the manhacks become a real thing. I think we're pretty close

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

the company will also pay for a fisher price work at home desk apparently

buddy giver her a break she was on a teachers salary, not everyone can afford the $2000 bespoke hardwood amish made office desk or whatever

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

We're getting so thoroughly shock-doctrined post-Soviet Russia style it's hard to comprehend the scale. Nurse salaries potentially being capped in a bipartisan effort and randos being allowed to teach school children. Who knows what other shenanigans capital is getting up to while we're all constantly distracted avoiding infections and figuring out respirators. A total one-sided the victory for the rich, with virtually no organized movement against people getting marched back to work in dangerous conditions. The only real resistance has come from individuals dropping out of the labour force to save themselves.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1488162322187182085

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
i'm just loving rooting for the virus at this point

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Thanks for this.

I have some of the no slime castile sitting in a mould now.

The haphazard approach to the units annoyed me, so I converted everything to mass.

1000 g olive oil

230 g water

4 g sea salt

4 g sodium bicarbonate

135 g sodium hydroxide

oh awesome. as long as the ratios are the same (posting from work and soapcalc sucks on mobile) that should work just fine.

future reference for when you want to tweak formulas: http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/soapcalcwp.asp

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I love how the COVID procedure at work is that you don't need to wear a mask in your cubicle or office, so only the visitors to your cube/office must wear a masks.

Then again plenty of people don't even bother with a mask, so it's moot.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Rutibex posted:

Ah OK, so you're a historical idealist. And that is a credible way to talk about Western Roman continuity - when Western Rome collapsed, art styles, religious practices, etc largely continued. Many Roman institutions kept trucking even without Roman government (eg the church). It's a valid lens for studying history but I think arrives at completely the wrong lesson for us today.

From a materialist perspective things are totally different. We can see, very visibly in the archeological record, that people ate less, died younger, died more violently. The quality of everyday goods fell. Cities as a concept practically disappeared in some areas like Britain. The collapse fell primarily on the shoulders of the peasants, which I'm sure as hell a lot closer to economically.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/qjAC64Y.gifv

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

3 people in the office got covid over teh weekend and now all the people who made fun of me for wearing an N95 constantly are asking for one. Cool cool.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Remember that day that Trump got Covid from his side-piece? That was the funniest day ever.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nocturtle posted:

We're getting so thoroughly shock-doctrined post-Soviet Russia style it's hard to comprehend the scale. Nurse salaries potentially being capped in a bipartisan effort and randos being allowed to teach school children. Who knows what other shenanigans capital is getting up to while we're all constantly distracted avoiding infections and figuring out respirators. A total one-sided the victory for the rich, with virtually no organized movement against people getting marched back to work in dangerous conditions. The only real resistance has come from individuals dropping out of the labour force to save themselves.

vote

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Business Gorillas posted:

Wasn't there a YouTube video about how people are coming unglued because they're experiencing moderate inconvenience that they can't buy their way out of for the first time in their lives?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

fits my needs posted:

buddy giver her a break she was on a teachers salary, not everyone can afford the $2000 bespoke hardwood amish made office desk or whatever

was

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

fits my needs posted:

A lot of places will pay for a desk such as an uplift desk. Either up to $$$ and then over that is on you (ie if you want the regular sized one with the laminate top they got it, if you want the jumbo one with wood you're paying for that) or just XX% of whatever you get. The same applies to ergonomic chairs so get you a steelcase or herman miller. These are common middle class office job perks. This has become more common during COVID for obvious reasons and also because after COVID it's a one and done expense for work and is cheaper than the office place + staff to clean and maintain it.

In the current bidding wars to retain or acquire talent crap like multi monitor setups, peloton + subscription (or other home gym crap), online courses + tutors for the kids, discounts for food deliver services ranging from grub hub all the way up to bespoke vendors like Williams Sonoma have all been added to it. Childcare discounts, discounts for elder/parental care are now part of stuff as well. And this isn't just for the rich. These are for 75-150k jobs, aka the real starting point of the middle class.

If she really got gobbled up by a company "hungry for talent" she'd have gotten all that. That's not management perks that's secretary and office worker perks.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

McCracAttack posted:

Wasn't there a YouTube video about how people are coming unglued because they're experiencing moderate inconvenience that they can't buy their way out of for the first time in their lives?

probably but this has been pretty clear from the onset, especially for the brunchlib crowd. same concept can apply to Trump and how uncomfortable he made liberals feel as his existence was a daily reminder of how hosed this country is.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Platystemon posted:

This isn’t going to help hospital CEO bonuses because nurses will hit. the. bricks. if this goes through.

well, I guess we're in luck that the Biden administration has an impressive track record of doing the right thing then!

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
The school I'm in this morning has an actual mask mandate. I want to get a PO for 10,000 of those kids kn95s.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Not when they subsequently get arrested and pressed into slavery under the 13th Amendment carveout for imprisoned folks! Bing bong, so simple!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tulip posted:

Ah OK, so you're a historical idealist. And that is a credible way to talk about Western Roman continuity - when Western Rome collapsed, art styles, religious practices, etc largely continued. Many Roman institutions kept trucking even without Roman government (eg the church). It's a valid lens for studying history but I think arrives at completely the wrong lesson for us today.

From a materialist perspective things are totally different. We can see, very visibly in the archeological record, that people ate less, died younger, died more violently. The quality of everyday goods fell. Cities as a concept practically disappeared in some areas like Britain. The collapse fell primarily on the shoulders of the peasants, which I'm sure as hell a lot closer to economically.

oh well my material conditions have been getting worse pretty consistently, and that didnt start with covid. I assume this isn't uniform across society but the world has seemed pretty collapsey to me since at least 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Horseshoe theory posted:

Not when they subsequently get arrested and pressed into slavery under the 13th Amendment carveout for imprisoned folks! Bing bong, so simple!

Frankly surprised that California hasn't started to do this already.