Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

what if they crank up the "optimize" dial really hard in the future thouhg
Fool. This console doesn't even have a crank. Maybe you got it confused with the Playdate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
look for me the steam deck is an investment. i want to play switch games, so i could play switch games now, or spend significantly more money on a device which, some time in the future, may emulate them very poorly. its long term planing

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Curious to see real-world performance of the Deck with more AAA games 'cause the rumored Deckard could be cool as poo poo.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KJBiFMI8_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BAYEm6ZDIQ&t=547s

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'm not worried about trying to emulate Switch games on a Deck since the Switch will still largely be available during the Deck's lifespan. What comes after the Switch goes EOL is interesting to me, much like I'm interested in running Dolphin on the Deck for GC/Wii titles (particularly those that haven't been ported).

Maybe you could run indie games on the Deck in a Switch emulator, but for those that have PC ports (which nearly all of them do) I'd probably just wait and pick up the ones I really care about in a future sale.

Once I get a Deck, the problem I'll probably run into is choice paralysis about buying new games on Steam (Deck) or Switch, as the latter still smaller and strictly more portable, but I totally expect the Switch as a platform to have a finite lifespan, whereas any Steam game that's compatible with Proton today will almost certainly work on some vaguely PCish thing far into the future.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Veotax posted:

It's been a long time since I really looked into emulation, but doesn't a device generally need to be more powerful, if not significantly more so, than the device it's emulating to do a decent job at it?

If by some miracle you can emulate Switch games on the Deck, I'm pretty drat sure it's going to run worse than an actual Switch.
it depends quite a lot on what device you're trying to emulate, how many sacrifices you're willing to make and the emulator itself

dolphin for example is one of the most well designed emulators out there. it's absurd how efficient it is at running GC/Wii games. in comparison N64 emulation can still struggle despite being a far weaker system because the N64 itself is a frankensteinien mess of nonsense design with each game using different parts of it to make their games work and is why it's still a struggle to get it to work correctly.

i've never toyed around with Yuzu since I just use my Switch instead so I can't say how well the emulator runs but watching the videos linked earlier seems fairly interesting though i don't know how well the mock Deck benchmarks will hold up when the actual thing is out there.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

nice link to a known chud :riolleyes:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Yeah, looking at Aya Neo vids it looks like Metroid Dread is easy to emulate, so for that specifically you should be set.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 2, 2022

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

instead of emulating a switch on a console that is almost definitely going to perform worse than an actual switch because of the nature of emulation,

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Once I get a Deck, the problem I'll probably run into is choice paralysis about buying new games on Steam (Deck) or Switch, as the latter still smaller and strictly more portable, but I totally expect the Switch as a platform to have a finite lifespan, whereas any Steam game that's compatible with Proton today will almost certainly work on some vaguely PCish thing far into the future.
This is mostly why I'm excited about the Deck. I like buying stuff on Steam, since I'll be able to play them forever. But I don't do PC gaming so I never actually play stuff on Steam. Having the Steam store on a portable without having to deal with Windows sounds great.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Most of the overhead would come from emulating the CPU. Switch is 4c/4t clocked at 1Ghz and while 4c/8t Zen 2 can clock higher and can do more per cycle, there probably wouldn't be enough overhead if the emulated game saturates all 4 cores. Graphics emulation is high level enough that overhead is relatively small, though this is more the case when using OpenGL/ARB with Nvidia GPUs on Yuzu as the Vulkan backend isn't as mature yet. Running emulated games in their portable modes would also likely help by cutting the graphics workload in half or so. Maybe emulator devs could take greater advantage of the shared memory architecture on Deck to remove the reliance on aggressively caching everything, might need new Vulkan extensions or something?

I don't think usable Switch emulation is a ridiculous thing to expect on Deck, but it's not going to run much full speed at launch.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Honestly pretty impressive and will only get better as emulsion improves.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Stux posted:

nice link to a known chud :riolleyes:

that gives an extra 10-15 FPS in emulation, which is why it looks pretty good in that video but none of us will actually experience that level of performance

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dramicus posted:

I'm fine playing games at low graphics settings to hit 60 fps. To each their own, but many people prefer fluid framerates to raw graphical fidelity.

At 800p I'm probably not going to notice the difference between graphical settings in most titles, so I'm probably going to target 60fps myself.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I found the badge that shows how many titles I own on Steam, I was surprised it’s only 354. Judging by how long it takes me to finish games now, the Deck should last me well into my 90s if I play them all.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Kwolok posted:

Honestly pretty impressive and will only get better as emulsion improves.

[watching the more powerful device get utterly pwned] epic. this means it will work.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
the emulsion is improving

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I guess Deck and Switch don't mix

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Huh, I guess there’s native retroarch for this, no jailbreaks or whatever needed, just supply your r0mz.

Anyway - i like how the switch hardware revision barely gets warm and the fan is barely audible. The las thing I want is a heavy heatsink and a buzzy little raspberry pi fan 30cm from my face.

You get a lot of power savings not running these devices at 100%, just coming from playing around with gaming laptops

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 2, 2022

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Retroarch is fail btw, I don't recommend it. The Retroarch guy is an insane harasser + a murderer.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait till I tell you about the big 3

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Coffee Jones posted:

Huh, I guess there’s native retroarch for this, no jailbreaks or whatever needed, just supply your r0mz.

Its a completely open platform, no jailbreaks for anything, provided you're willing to deal with Arch or install windows.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Coffee Jones posted:

Anyway - i like how the switch hardware revision barely gets warm and the fan is barely audible. The las thing I want is a heavy heatsink and a buzzy little raspberry pi fan 30cm from my face.

You get a lot of power savings not running these devices at 100%, just coming from playing around with gaming laptops

it's a pc. you can install literally anything you can install on any other pc.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

homeless snail posted:

Retroarch is fail btw, I don't recommend it. The Retroarch guy is an insane harasser + a murderer.

don’t care if the games work

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Coffee Jones posted:

its a computerop.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
can we change the thread title to "its a normal computer"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Trolley problem pic but on one rail its "this program killed someone" and the other "but it runs roms good"

That's Fair, tbh.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Stux posted:

could affect preorders

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Valve has only ever marketed it as a PC and whenever someone compares it to a console they say "nah". I guess people just see the form factor and think it's locked down purely based on that?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

"if the games work" is dependent on the emulator devs doing the actual work, and several retroarch devs seem intent on driving them to suicide or out of the emulator programming hobby at least

of course it's a free program so they gain nothing by you just downloading it, but don't donate to the project or anything
https://twitter.com/BlueMaxima/status/1488826694626525185
https://twitter.com/docsquiddy/status/1488628534683783183
https://twitter.com/BlueMaxima/status/1488828080894332936
https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/1421229301928652801

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 2, 2022

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stux posted:

Its not a normal computer though. Would a normal computer have this? *rotates Steam Deck in hand futilely looking for the crank* Oh yeah, that's a different console.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the steam deck will drive you to unprecedented heights of tantric pleasure

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

The United States posted:

"but don't donate to the project or anything

I have zero intent on donating to filthy emulator pirates

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

homeless snail posted:

Trolley problem pic but on one rail its "this program killed someone" and the other "but it runs roms good"

That's Fair, tbh.

That's not how trolley problems work but also I think Linux and Windows have killed more people than RetroArch.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
which linux distribution has killed the most people

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I've enjoyed my switch and it has been my go to console for so long. It's done lots of trips with me.

I'm looking forward to the deck because I'd love to play some cool indie games on it and some of the older rpgs I never played because sitting at a computer playing something isn't super fun.

Not wanting to do anything super new or even fps games, I don't want to emulate a switch on it because I'll just use my switch.

But it looks like my preorder is for like "after q2 2022". I guess that means next Christmas? :)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

fedora

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

I have zero intent on donating to filthy emulator pirates
Good

Feels Villeneuve posted:

You're thinking of Linux filesystems

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Reiser

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Murders: Tails. Suicides: Slackware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The real question you should be asking is which file system has killed the most people.