Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shooting Blanks posted:

Houston is still well above freezing, luckily, not supposed to drop below until tonight. And it shouldn't be at risk of burst pipes this year provided you drip, unless you have some really long, weird, exposed outdoor runs.

Wasn't the bursting last year not because of outdoor exposed water runs but rather homes without any heat for 3-4 days so the pipes inside the homes were busting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mr. Nice! posted:

Wasn't the bursting last year not because of outdoor exposed water runs but rather homes without any heat for 3-4 days so the pipes inside the homes were busting?

Both - tons of people in Houston have poorly or uninsulated exterior lines/faucets because it so rarely gets cold enough here to be an issue. My burst was an exterior burst, likely only preventable by dripping my taps harder (maybe), insulating it (in a very, very awkward location), or turning off the water at the street and draining the lines.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

https://twitter.com/WalkerATX/status/1489291697230159881

austindrivers.mp4

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

in the high res video you can see the banana peel that got thrown behind the car ahead of them

Lady Homunculus
May 22, 2017
I just made a round-trip on I35 in Austin and went around 3 multicar accidents. I don't get it because it doesn't seem like there's any ice on the road?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Shooting Blanks posted:

Houston is still well above freezing, luckily, not supposed to drop below until tonight. And it shouldn't be at risk of burst pipes this year provided you drip, unless you have some really long, weird, exposed outdoor runs.

We stay drippy out here

Mr. Nice! posted:

The big flashy damage that makes the news was the latter. Those of us with the former know the "oh, it's going to be cold time to turn the water off and let the house drain via the hose faucet" drill, or the "oh, poo poo the yard is flooded time to turn the mains off and put in some new PVC" panic by now.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/McConaughey/status/1489266653812559872

oh my god i'm so glad he didn't run

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Welp, hope things don't go to poo poo for the next few days. Is it weird that I let my house get to 60 F before I turn on the heater? I just put on a sweater and my fuzzy slippers. Of course I let the temperature drop lower at night.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Welp, hope things don't go to poo poo for the next few days. Is it weird that I let my house get to 60 F before I turn on the heater? I just put on a sweater and my fuzzy slippers. Of course I let the temperature drop lower at night.
it's weird in the fact that while it's the appropriate thing to do, nobody does it and plows through energy use instead

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Considering we live in a perpetual state of swampass, letting yourself enjoy a little bit of a chill isn't weird no.

Sometimes I like to not just set the heat lower at night, but also crack the window in my room a bit. Just bundle up.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

gently caress that. balmy 72F here. it's every man for himself. the texas way.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jesus christ that's warm

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

THIS is what makes you relieved that a himbo actor didn't run for governor, and not all of the oooooother poo poo he said?

Ever since the first cold snap a week or so back I've been keeping the house at 72, once everything equalized in temp around the house heater barely would turn on when it got warmer inside house temp was perfectly fine. Probably the least I've used the heater when it's been cold.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 3, 2022

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

i say swears online posted:

it's weird in the fact that while it's the appropriate thing to do, nobody does it and plows through energy use instead

68 is the correct setting during the day, lower at night (during the winter), if you have a programmable/smart thermostat.

Yes, that's an energy company's website, but I've seen that repeated elsewhere and they've linked to unbiased sources. Also they have an awesome loving flowchart there that for some reason doesn't want to be linked here.

Weirdly enough, Benioff is supposedly one of the more progressive tech CEOs out there in terms of politics and philanthropy - and he has been consistently for years. Maybe it's all window dressing but I haven't heard anything otherwise. Conversely, I have friends who are current and former SFDC employees and basically none of them like it. The pay is great, but the work environment is brutal.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
68 is also the correct setting during the summer

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Marxalot posted:

We stay drippy out here

That's from the Columbian White, not the weather.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
64 in winter, 79 in summer

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Year round, 72 when awake, 68 when sleeping. Whichever combination of AC or heat it takes.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My wife slowly trained me to accept 77 during the summer and I’ve in turn gotten her to accept no heat ever in the winter. Currently 65 inside and bundled up cozy like.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

My wife slowly trained me to accept 77 during the summer and I’ve in turn gotten her to accept no heat ever in the winter. Currently 65 inside and bundled up cozy like.

63 with no heater on. If it gets lower we'll cut the chill but no sense in running the heater when you can layer up north of like 55-60.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

chglcu posted:

Year round, 72 when awake, 68 when sleeping. Whichever combination of AC or heat it takes.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
62 winter, 68 summer night

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I leave the heat and the A/C off for the most part while I work UberEats during the day (everyone went home and closed early today, it was a great excuse for a day off), so it's ~60 in the house right now. I also put blankets over the windows like ghetto blackout curtains so my place is well insulated.

I cannot recommend long johns enough. Layering owns, even in above-freezing temperatures.

Dude, solid recovery on the spin there.

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 4, 2022

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I didn't even make it 3 miles to work before nearly spinning, and if my born and raised Montana rear end is having issues, I decided I do not want to be on the road along the local drivers... forgive me for that. Wonder if my boss will be there on time for me to call in.
Most the roads are actually dry, but any dip in the road has flowing water on top of ice which is always a fun problem, what does this state have against culverts? Maybe that is my issue, I am used to roads designed with the idea that letting water flow over the road isn't a great idea.

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 4, 2022

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Goddamn posers, in the Valley I never even turn on my heater during the winter (i.e., from Christmas until New Year's) and the thermostat stays at 80 during the summers.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

General Dog posted:

64 in winter, 79 in summer

69 in the sheets

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
:boom:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
25 summer, 22 winter :smuggo:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

During normal IE hot times I keep the house at 78 and when sleeping it goes to 76-75

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/zachdespart/status/1489614279762456580

Unsurprisingly all four of the commissioners (the two Rs and the two Ds) all are pretty bad about vendor contributions but frankly they should just slap some limits on that. Hidalgo (who isn't a commissioner with a precinct and thus isn't as privy to things like vendor selection) is doing great with just small contributions:

quote:

Shortly after taking office in 2019, Hidalgo said she would refuse contributions from vendors, saying she wished to avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest. She asks donors to certify they are not vendors and lists their occupations on her campaign finance reports.

The Chronicle found three vendor contributions totaling $700; Hidalgo said she would return any such contribution identified by the newspaper.

Hidalgo’s stance on vendor cash has not hurt her fundraising; through December, her campaign account held $1.5 million. It does require her to court small-dollar contributions from a far larger donor pool than her colleagues.

During the two-year period, Hidalgo had 2,594 contributors who gave less than $50 compared to 95 for her four colleagues combined.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sure do love having the logistics department I work for get audited by an outside company because number isn’t high enough during a truck driver shortage and continuing global pandemic.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One day of snow and freezing, and then the next everything melts. Which I guess it was still a bit unusual for it to stay below freezing for a whole day so all the snow that melted would refreeze, but it's still not that extreme of a situation.

I understand why everybody was panicking, but I'm still amazed that Abbot felt secure enough to just shrug and go "well I killed a bunch of people last year and I might kill some amount this year" when he could've gotten away with foolish optimism.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

SlothfulCobra posted:

One day of snow and freezing, and then the next everything melts. Which I guess it was still a bit unusual for it to stay below freezing for a whole day so all the snow that melted would refreeze, but it's still not that extreme of a situation.

I understand why everybody was panicking, but I'm still amazed that Abbot felt secure enough to just shrug and go "well I killed a bunch of people last year and I might kill some amount this year" when he could've gotten away with foolish optimism.

From a game theory perspective, there were basically two choices he could have made for his statements (optimism or caution), and two possible weather outcomes (disaster or normality).

Be optimistic and have good weather: Look like the guy who "fixed" the grid, and deflate a lot of potential attack ads.
Be cautious and have good weather: No real harm, just the quote about not being able to guarantee anything (that no one will care about since there wasn't a disaster).
Be cautious and have a disaster: Able to save yourself some of the political harm that comes with being in charge during a disaster.
Be optimistic and have a disaster: Lose the Republican primary.

The downsides of foolish optimism were bigger than the downsides of being cautious, so his choice made sense.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Update: not dead.

gently caress

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

LanceHunter posted:

From a game theory perspective, there were basically two choices he could have made for his statements (optimism or caution), and two possible weather outcomes (disaster or normality).

Be optimistic and have good weather: Look like the guy who "fixed" the grid, and deflate a lot of potential attack ads.
Be cautious and have good weather: No real harm, just the quote about not being able to guarantee anything (that no one will care about since there wasn't a disaster).
Be cautious and have a disaster: Able to save yourself some of the political harm that comes with being in charge during a disaster.
Be optimistic and have a disaster: Lose the Republican primary. Nothing bad will happen because death cult

The downsides of foolish optimism were bigger than the downsides of being cautious, so his choice made sense.

FTFY

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I mean yes, death cult. But there's serious competition for who will be running that death cult.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/douglewinenergy/status/1489652331830521856?s=21

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

i say swears online posted:

how do you not remember the TAAS test? I got juice and crackers, it ruled

iirc I took them from 3rd to 7th grade, I don't remember standardized testing after that

Ooooo you taking it all the way back to my grade school days before they changed it to the TAKS test :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think it's extremely cool how the state press raised the expectations to the moon for this, heavily implying that the grid wasn't fixed and playing up the storm like it was going to be another apocalypse. So when that didn't happen - and there's never, ever any reason to think it would've - it lets Greg take a victory lap for doing the absolute minimum. Meanwhile, Beto's on the "Keep the Lights on Tour" pretending like the lights actually did go out while the city of Austin, that avatar of liberal governance doesn't have potable water for some loving reason, which really makes Democrats look like the party to restore competence to state infrastructure. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the person who bet on boil water but no power outages made a fortune in that parlay