Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yea Revolutions is most likely next.
Only 228 episode!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

you can listen to mike duncan get radicalized from being a center left lib into a left lib

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

spanning the entire podcast political spectrum

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Digital Jedi posted:

Yea Revolutions is most likely next.
Only 228 episode!

It's good, I just finished the English Revolution (Civil War) and skipped ahead to the 1830 July Revolution

Very similar vibe to Age of Napoleon, although that one is better

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Digital Jedi posted:

Took me 8 months but I finally listened to every episode. And what a trip that was.

Now I have to find another podcast to complete

what keen insights can you shed on absorbing every way john dolan has almost died in the past 5 years and mark ames' journey into fatherhood?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It's good, I just finished the English Revolution (Civil War) and skipped ahead to the 1830 July Revolution

Don't skip the French or Haitian, those are the two best he's done

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah lol that's a bizarre choice. french and haitian revolutions round out the trio of Best Revolutions with 1918

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

HI I'm Nathaniel Lloyd host of historical blindness and I'm here to suddenly interrupt your podcast with the vocal tones of a man in a trenchcoat jacking off outside your window

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The Haitian revolution is good because you can hear his worldview shift throughout the series

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

i say swears online posted:

yeah lol that's a bizarre choice. french and haitian revolutions round out the trio of Best Revolutions with 1918

Just listened to those on Age of Napoleon. I'll come back to em, though it's really going to be hard to hear about the Haitian Revolution again

shirts and skins posted:

HI I'm Nathaniel Lloyd host of historical blindness and I'm here to suddenly interrupt your podcast with the vocal tones of a man in a trenchcoat jacking off outside your window

Haha goddamn. Let's just say thank god Everett started an ad free patreon, though goddamn does he need to put all the early episodes on it.

It's not only that Nathaniel Lloyd sounds like a white utility van pedophile, it's that he's advertising a game that sounds best suited for four year olds

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

shirts and skins posted:

lol

Seconding Age of Napoleon but drat I wish they'd upload ad-free versions of the older episodes to Patreon. Also Inward Empire owns and should have a lot of crossover appeal for RWN fans

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
trueanon is pretty good and their best eps feel like RWN junior

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

brugroffil posted:

The Haitian revolution is good because you can hear his worldview shift throughout the series

It seems like he's still a liberal, what was the worldview shift?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Nothing matches up to RWN, unfortunately. But I'm really enjoying The Empire Never Ended since they were on the show. If you ever wanted to know all the hilarious and pathetic details of the lives of fascists around the world, it's an incredible podcast.

They just did a series on Charles Francis Yockey, who was an American fascist and one of the only actually existing red-brown alliance guys (he thought the Soviet Union was independent of Jewish control). Just a total loser who also led a way more interesting life than he had a right to.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Speaking of RWN adjacent podcasts, if you all haven't checked it, goon ghostpinballa's podcast is excellent. I think he's gone on a couple other podcasts to talk about cool stuff.

https://ghoststoriesfortheend.podbean.com/

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i also recommend ghost stories and de-recommend Revolutions

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Speaking of RWN adjacent podcasts, if you all haven't checked it, goon ghostpinballa's podcast is excellent. I think he's gone on a couple other podcasts to talk about cool stuff.

https://ghoststoriesfortheend.podbean.com/

he was just on getfiscal and babyfinland's podcast recently talking about the dutroux affair (tl;dr: nightmare belgian epstein poo poo)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Phone posted:

he was just on getfiscal and babyfinland's podcast recently talking about the dutroux affair (tl;dr: nightmare belgian epstein poo poo)

the dutroux affair is one of the most insane things ive ever read about

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It seems like he's still a liberal, what was the worldview shift?

I don't think it's a political shift so much as a perspective shift. During History of Rome and the early parts of Revolutions his approach is very hands-off and dry but around Haiti is where it hits home how awful these states were to the people enslaved under them and how revolution ends up happening as an inevitablity. You can hear how frustrated he is with how cruel and disconnected Louis XVI or the Romanovs are.

I think he's still a soft-left lib but he's at least started to emote on history rather than approach it as spectacle.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dreylad posted:

the dutroux affair is one of the most insane things ive ever read about

They go over all the context of the Dutroux affair in the first episode, and why it happened in Belgium of all places. Long story short, Belgian government was dysfunctional by design with no cooperation between police departments and hatred between the police and the gendarmerie. So because the cops were worthless, Western intelligence had to depend extra hard on organized crime and the stay behind network in Belgium - which was the real secret state behind the Belgian government. It guaranteed that the network behind Dutroux would be impossible to investigate.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

mila kunis posted:

trueanon is pretty good and their best eps feel like RWN junior

They've even done podcasts together iirc!

Not So Fast posted:

I don't think it's a political shift so much as a perspective shift. During History of Rome and the early parts of Revolutions his approach is very hands-off and dry but around Haiti is where it hits home how awful these states were to the people enslaved under them and how revolution ends up happening as an inevitablity. You can hear how frustrated he is with how cruel and disconnected Louis XVI or the Romanovs are.

I think he's still a soft-left lib but he's at least started to emote on history rather than approach it as spectacle.

It is pretty funny hearing his worldview of "Kornilov wasn't so bad" clash with "every story I tell involves liberals betraying leftists to reactionaries"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Not So Fast posted:

Yeah. There was a marked tone shift from "wow isn't history neat and fun??" to "behold the horrors of the past" specifically during the Haitian series.

shirts and skins posted:

It is pretty funny hearing his worldview of "Kornilov wasn't so bad" clash with "every story I tell involves liberals betraying leftists to reactionaries"

it is!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Finally got the crossover everybody wanted. Next they should have Felix on to tell the truth about Syria.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Not So Fast posted:

Haiti is also where he notices that every time the US enters the narrative it’s to make things worse.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Finally got the crossover everybody wanted. Next they should have Felix on to tell the truth about Syria.

the US navy will never have to find out how good anti-ship missiles are if we just give iran the bomb!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i wonder how much of the august willich war nerd episode will be a repeat of the inebriated past solo ep that matt did

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The origin of that meme was just Felix repeating what he heard on Radio War Nerd

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Atrocious Joe posted:

The origin of that meme was just Felix repeating what he heard on Radio War Nerd

It's like poetry. It rhymes.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/TrueAnonPod/status/1490174326078943232?s=20&t=IQbUBS-TCvf4xC0L4E91XQ

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

MeatwadIsGod posted:

lol

Seconding Age of Napoleon but drat I wish they'd upload ad-free versions of the older episodes to Patreon. Also Inward Empire owns and should have a lot of crossover appeal for RWN fans

already listened to two of these and they are quite good. the host would be a great RWN guest

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I missed the tidbit about the New York Times manipulating its comments section to try and get positive reactions to the invasion scare. I'm glad John hasn't given up on comments sections.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

you have to feel sorry for the wolf having to chew around all the metal rods and pins in each of his limbs

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

once the wolf got his eyes, the wolf immediately became locked in the unisex bathroom of a youth hostel

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

skooma512 posted:

A. Blinken

(say it out loud)

this is the exact first thing I did when first heard about him

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/TrueAnonPod/status/1490174572666175492?s=20&t=l6yqyycxcOcgK5Bfh2MCcA

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
By the way, Mark is on the latest TrueAnon doing a park 1 (of 2) series on Ukraine

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I remember way back when Mark wrote about all the shady circumstances surrounding the Maidan, and the mysterious identity of the snipers. That was before it was even clear the government had no interest in investigating them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Spime Wrangler posted:

hottest unionist civil war podcast crossover event of the season incoming

I super recommend the book Matt mentions, Radical Warrior by David Dixon. There's so much more to Willich's story and it's covered so well.