Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

Strange Quark posted:

if you watch one gundam, i'd recommend war in the pocket because it is 6 episodes long and a single tight, focused narrative

Another option for a short, self contained Gundam from someone that thought War in the Pocket was a bit boring until the last episode: The 08th MS Team. You get a really down to earth war story and one of the best fights in all of Gundam with a small and lovable cast.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

08th ms team is kinda boring to me imo, like the gouf custom fight is cool but a lot of the random stumbling around is pretty dull and i dont really care about any of the cast. and the core romance sucks

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

vaguely on the topic because it's a kind of mediocre show about a princess, but the show I got weirdly into back in the day that nobody else watched was Scrapped Princess. I wonder if it holds up as solidly decent or if the reason nobody else watched it was because it was trash the whole time. I barely remember anything about it, besides the big twists at the very end

I watched it 4 or 5 years ago now and gave it a 6 which is usually my bucket for “good but something annoyed me about it”. So not trash at least!

I only have some fond memories of some of the highlights that I remember but my guess would be finding it kind of meandering. Might be more in to it now but who knows if I’ll ever rewatch it

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Pretty sure I watched it off the strength of the op as well, one of my most important metrics for a show

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the scrapped princess op is one of the more unique jam project songs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWFfDesCFs0

however crest of z will always be the best jam project song

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Scrapped Princess was popular enough at one point to be the poster child for completely out of left field endings that ruined it for 90% of watchers at least lol

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

While we're at Princesses, what are your opinions on Shamanic Princess and it's weird switched chronological order?
The opening bops at least.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
One of the weirdest shows I’ve ever watched on a whim was the Murder Princess OVA. Never read the manga.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Napping Princess is an alright movie that is, by default, the best thing Kenji Kamiyama has been involved with over the past decade.

(Unless that tv movie he directed last month is good. It's not subbed yet so I wouldn't know!)

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

the scrapped princess op is one of the more unique jam project songs

:psyduck:

i can hear it now that you say it but never would have guessed this

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/jJcq1UcKLRmwvOT/status/1490834359750107138

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm probably denying myself a good time by not putting eizouken on my list but it's very funny watching stux get annoyed at it in discord and it's not like my list is empty without it

Can confirm it's a good show. Making someone mald over not watching it is pretty hilarious though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1491054085554188288?s=20&t=lEiUXJtTmw3--S33rCRShw

They're apparently still keeping Sunrise as a brand name, which is probably a tacit admission that this is a dumb idea.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Sakurazuka posted:

Scrapped Princess was popular enough at one point to be the poster child for completely out of left field endings that ruined it for 90% of watchers at least lol
wait, what was about the ending that did that? i remember liking the show at the time, and the ending just seemed like standard jrpg-esque to me - the party powers up and defeats the fake gods, the MC gets taken to the spirit realm where the world overseer waxes poetical about how at least humanity is safe in its cage but the MC chooses freedom and uncertainty and undoes the system, and then everyone goes home and lives happily ever after?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lurking Haro posted:

While we're at Princesses, what are your opinions on Shamanic Princess and it's weird switched chronological order?
The opening bops at least.

I liked it when I watched it like 20 years ago but idk how I'd feel about it now. iirc it had some interesting stuff going on, character-wise.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

roobots posted:

Another option for a short, self contained Gundam from someone that thought War in the Pocket was a bit boring until the last episode: The 08th MS Team. You get a really down to earth war story and one of the best fights in all of Gundam with a small and lovable cast.

this one was boring enough i haven't been able to push past the first two eps and it seems widely agreed that the ending sucks

efb i kept catching up on the thread and endorph said all this too

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I. M. Gei posted:

DO NOT watch Tokyo Ghoul. It is so, so, SOOOOO bad and not in a funny way or a so-bad-it's-good way. It's just plain godawful.

Toonami ran the first 20 episodes of Tokyo Ghoul some years back. The first few were tolerable, not particularly good but they gave you an impression that maybe the show might get better later on. At about episode 8 or 9 everything goes completely off the rails, and at that point any and all hope of a better show is gone forever. The first 10 episodes end in a way that makes no sense whatsoever, and the last 10 are so stupid and uninteresting that they're practically unwatchable.

If for some insane reason you do decide to watch any of it, take my advice and watch only the first 8 to 10 episodes, stop there, and then read the Wikipedia page on it to find out just how mind-bendingly hosed it gets from there. Trust me, this is the best possible way to consume Tokyo Ghoul.

bit late but take this post to heart

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is Tokyo Ghoul based on a manga? And if so, is that any better?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It is based on a manga, and I don't know if it's better but it's at least not all filler like the second season of the anime is

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I enjoyed the manga up until the point where the MC gets captured and becomes all edgy and then fell off it almost immediately.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I enjoyed the manga up until the point where the MC gets captured and becomes all edgy and then fell off it almost immediately.

i think that's also true for the anime iirc

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Also, Sleepy Princess in Demon Castle was one of my personal favorites of the last couple years.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

for mediocre shonen it's absolutely better to read them because less of your time is taken

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the art is usually better in the original manga than in the anime

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Additionally, while I have warmed up to it a bit in the years, the first OP of Tokyo Ghoul sure is something your first time hearing it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Additionally, while I have warmed up to it a bit in the years, the first OP of Tokyo Ghoul sure is something your first time hearing it.
unravel is loving incredible, theres a reason its an incredibly iconic op

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've seen a lot of fujos into Tokyo Ghoul so if you have interest in shipping there's apparently good material there

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Has a manga ever made you cry

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yeah, elfen lied

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

gay for gacha posted:

Hoshi Mamoru Inu/Stargazing Dog
Bought it in the Kyoto train station.

Also Mitty in Made in Abyss.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have to be careful where I read stuff because it makes me cry all the time. I was sitting in my office reading a webtoon chapter that got into some sad backstory for a character and was like oh no here it comes and had to suck it in before anyone saw me

marumaru
May 20, 2013

gay for gacha posted:

i didn't finish punpun

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

gay for gacha posted:

Kakukaku Shikajika

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Namtab posted:

Yeah, elfen lied
I keep confusing the mangaka of elfen lied, who's behind parallel paradise, with whoever's writing world's end harem

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

unravel is loving incredible, theres a reason its an incredibly iconic op

Like I said, I do like it now, but it took a bit of warming up to.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Coaaab posted:

I keep confusing the mangaka of elfen lied, who's behind parallel paradise, with whoever's writing world's end harem

They’re both purveyors of fine art, so I can see how it’d be confusing

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

gay for gacha posted:

Let me tell you about the One Piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't cry