Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Stop posting in bad faith and Google it yourself for once.

I did and couldn't find anything about a Soviet project to exterminate Jews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Because he needed him to beat Hitler.

Couldn't Lenin the Prescient find somebody to do that who wasn't a raging antisemite, who even supported antisemitic structure of the partisan movement in the middle of the war with Germany, who executed so many people because he saw Jews as disloyal?

Are you one of the Lord Jesus' special boys who think that only Stalin, personally, could win the war, and not anybody else in his position who would have been less of a monumental gently caress up?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I did and couldn't find anything about a Soviet project to exterminate Jews.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootless_cosmopolitan

quote:

From 1946 onwards, then, when Andrei Zhdanov became director of Soviet cultural policy, Soviet rhetoric increasingly highlighted the goal of a pure Soviet culture freed from Western degeneration. This became apparent, for example, in a piece in the Soviet weekly Literaturnya gazeta in 1947, which denounced the claimed expressions of rootless cosmopolitanism as inimical to Soviet culture. From 1949 onwards, then, a new series of openly antisemitic purges and executions began across the Soviet Union and its satellite countries, when Jews were charged explicitly with harbouring an international Zionist cosmopolitanist conspiracy.
The campaign against cosmopolitanism of the 1940s and 1950s [...] defined rootless cosmopolitans as citizens who lacked patriotism and disseminated foreign influence within the USSR, including theater critics, Yiddish-speaking poets and doctors. They were accused of disseminating Western European philosophies of aesthetics, pro-American attitudes, Zionism, or inappropriate levels of concern for Jewry and its destruction during World War II. The phrase "rootless cosmopolitan" was synonymous with "persons without identity" and "passportless wanderers" when applied to Jews, thus emphasizing their status as strangers and outsiders.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

While we're arguing about whether or not Russia should invade Ukraine and blah blah, assuming that the people who don't want Russia to invade the Ukraine are in the US, why should the people of the United States be chomping at the bit to get involved in another dumb loving war for reasons? Regardless of if Russia is funding all sorts of nazi poo poo elsewhere, why is it ok that the federal government of the US is providing arms to nazi poo poo at all? At best you're just throwing gasoline on a fire that almost certainly will escalate an invasion over time and at worst they'll go on to do all sorts of terrorist nazi poo poo and help the growing global world wide fascism movement. Its such a loving sham.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Alchenar posted:

I'm with you on the lingustics but the underlying argument isn't really true. Russia had the opportunity to complain at every phase of NATO enlargement and didn't. The 2004 and 2009 enlargements happened under Putin's watch and he didn't make any fuss about it then.

The issue here is not NATO, it's that Russia sees its neighbours westernising and sees itself losing what little soft power it had left with them. 'NATO threatens us' is just the argument being thrown up because that's far more plapable than 'we don't like losing our client states'.

It also lets you save face when selling it. "We suck at diplomacy and our neighbors are no longer dependent on us" doesn't sell as well as "We are a great power and the West is killing us with a thousand cuts and we must do these things to protect our honor"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think I get your point now. Basically, what Russia needed was to get the full makeover, but no one involved wanted to try for that, so it ended up basically just being the Russian leadership grabbing a few bad ideas from the West and loving up their own country with them.

Essentially (in terms on where responsibility lies) but I don't think I'd go as far as to say the problem was that Russia didn't do Shock Therapy 'properly'. The USSR was always a petrostate that worked by using the proceeds of oil and gas to subsidise the rest of the economy - the Soviet model needed to go but oil and gas revenue meant they probably had the option to roll on for quite some time slowly subsidising a transition to something else. They could probably have chosen not to do shock therapy at all.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 14, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
One of my memories of my grandmother is her going through lists of WWII documents (published, to their credit, by Russian defense ministry online) for whatever she could find on her father, who didn't return from the War, and seeing many, many, Jewish names alongside his and going "... but they said we Jews didn't fight..."

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Essentially (in terms on where responsibility lies) but I don't think I'd go as far as to say the problem was that Russia didn't do Shock Therapy 'properly'. The USSR was always a petrostate that worked by using the proceeds of oil and gas to subsidise the rest of the economy - the Soviet model needed to go but oil and gas revenue meant they probably had the option to roll on for quite some time slowly subsidising a transition to something else.

Russia was also still strong enough and proud enough that it didn't "need" outside help when the USSR collapsed. While other countries in Eastern Europe suddenly found their subsidies gone and needed help to get back on their feet, the member country that had been doing the subsidizing did not "need" or seek western assistance.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

pissinthewind posted:

While we're arguing about whether or not Russia should invade Ukraine and blah blah, assuming that the people who don't want Russia to invade the Ukraine are in the US, why should the people of the United States be chomping at the bit to get involved in another dumb loving war for reasons? Regardless of if Russia is funding all sorts of nazi poo poo elsewhere, why is it ok that the federal government of the US is providing arms to nazi poo poo at all? At best you're just throwing gasoline on a fire that almost certainly will escalate an invasion over time and at worst they'll go on to do all sorts of terrorist nazi poo poo and help the growing global world wide fascism movement. Its such a loving sham.

Putin is a fascist, and I believe that allowing him to engage in imperial wars of aggression without pushback is definitely helping grow the global world wide fascist movement.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

*sigh* if only Lenin could have killed all the antisemites smdh.

OddObserver posted:

Do you even know what the Black Hundreds were?
The Russian KKK.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

How are u posted:

Putin is a fascist, and I believe that allowing him to engage in imperial wars of aggression without pushback is definitely helping grow the global world wide fascist movement.

It just doesn't really make sense to me to be rooting for either side in Ukraine/Russia right now, unless you're mostly worried about which country has the most imperialism I suppose. The rise of fascism is a major problem in the US that no one is doing anything about, but look over here! Nazi grandma is learning to shoot an AK to protect against Putin, everyone cheer? It just seems like Biden is trying to do the unity he promised by promoting nationalist imperialism, stoking the flames of war by sending Ukraine arms and riling up Russia, since domestic patriotism unity kind of poo poo the bed when he failed to accomplish pretty much anything. And honestly, having lived through that poo poo in the early 2000s, I genuinely can't believe grown rear end human beings are falling for it, again.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

pissinthewind posted:

It just doesn't really make sense to me to be rooting for either side in Ukraine/Russia right now, unless you're mostly worried about which country has the most imperialism I suppose. The rise of fascism is a major problem in the US that no one is doing anything about, but look over here! Nazi grandma is learning to shoot an AK to protect against Putin, everyone cheer? It just seems like Biden is trying to do the unity he promised by promoting nationalist imperialism, stoking the flames of war by sending Ukraine arms and riling up Russia, since domestic patriotism unity kind of poo poo the bed when he failed to accomplish pretty much anything. And honestly, having lived through that poo poo in the early 2000s, I genuinely can't believe grown rear end human beings are falling for it, again.

It does seem weird that people in this thread are talking about eastern europe and not the united states

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The Russian KKK.

Relying on "Thing is just like thing in Aaamerica :bravo:" is such a huge red flag when dealing with anybody online

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

pissinthewind posted:

Biden isn't "stoking the flames of war". The US, the EU, and Ukraine are all saying "don't invade Ukraine". Putin is threatening to invade Ukraine for who the heck knows what reasons. Probably because he's a fascist dictator who is past his prime domestically. Putin is the only one here who is "stoking the flames of war".

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I just want to point out, I didn't bring up Russia. Someone else pulled a whataboutism comparing the history of antisemitism in the Ukraine to that of Russia.

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.
Don’t engage. These people don’t know anything about Ukraine.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

pissinthewind posted:

There has been a war, started by Russia for 8 loving years. There are more than 10,000 dead, millions forced out of their homes, and Russia has pulled up 2/3rds of their army to the border prepared to make those numbers much worse and it's Biden stroking war?

Maybe you should start fighting fascism by being less racist, and noticing all the suffering and not making everything about the United States?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Why are Ukrainians stoking the flames of war by not dropping dead and surrendering. They're very inconsiderate of my feelings.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

pissinthewind posted:

The vast majority of people that want more progressive policies who make up the country that is being besieged by a Russian fascist regime do in fact deserve support even if your high horse riding American rear end disagrees.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 14, 2022

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

pissinthewind posted:

Well when Ukraine annexes southern Moldova or uses its military to attempt to extort absurd concessions it's not entitled to, I'll be sure to criticize Ukraine.

This whataboutism is absurd. Russia has effectively annexed two portions of Ukraine in the past decade, and fomented a low-intensity civil war to boot. Ukraine has not done the same to Russia. They are not the same. They just aren't, by any measure you want to use.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Relying on "Thing is just like thing in Aaamerica :bravo:" is such a huge red flag when dealing with anybody online

That's fair, the black hundreds killed a lot more Jews than the kkk.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

This feels like a sign from god that maybe we shouldn't be giving Ukraine weapons

Danger posted:

I mean it certainly doesn’t help that western media just beams footage from neo-nazi militias and frames it like this near constantly:

https://twitter.com/mossrobeson__/status/1493001855521202185?s=21

Posting info counter to the Western narrative in D&D. User loses posting privileges for one week! :godwinning:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

*sigh* if only Lenin could have killed all the antisemites smdh.

The Russian KKK.

That would be the majority of population.

And KKK isn't a bad comparison, and just like them they weren't limited to a single bigotry --- they were very much anti-Ukrainian peoplehood as well. And that attitude... Well, it's been endorsed as high up as by Putin himself.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Pook Good Mook posted:

They just aren't, by any measure you want to use.

I think for some people the measure they use is something like: "Anything the US stands for or wants must be bad. Opposing the US in any way is good." Which is how you see some folks on some parts of the internet work themselves into defending an imperial war of aggression and expansion, a kleptocracy poised to devour a democracy by force. This is why axiomatic, black and white, good and evil worldviews are dangerous and harm people.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Alchenar posted:

Essentially (in terms on where responsibility lies) but I don't think I'd go as far as to say the problem was that Russia didn't do Shock Therapy 'properly'. The USSR was always a petrostate that worked by using the proceeds of oil and gas to subsidise the rest of the economy - the Soviet model needed to go but oil and gas revenue meant they probably had the option to roll on for quite some time slowly subsidising a transition to something else. They could probably have chosen not to do shock therapy at all.
I meant more that they'd need a proper goal, rather than whatever halfway thing they did, not that they'd need full Shock Therapy as such. Well, frankly I didn't really consider the actual process, but yeah, it makes a lot of sense that they could've used oil and gas revenue to ease the transition - though it would have to be managed well and be part of a very deliberate plan to decouple their economy from it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

OddObserver posted:

That would be the majority of population.

And KKK isn't a bad comparison, and just like them they weren't limited to a single bigotry --- they were very much anti-Ukrainian peoplehood as well. And that attitude... Well, it's been endorsed as high up as by Putin himself.

Yah, just to be clear: I'm not claiming that antisemitism wasn't rife through the USSR, just pointing out that it was the only government at the time taking any steps to quash it.

And Putin can eat a hairy turd.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Seems like tankies are massing forces on the border of the thread and doing probing incursions already

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

I'm with you on the lingustics but the underlying argument isn't really true. Russia had the opportunity to complain at every phase of NATO enlargement and didn't. The 2004 and 2009 enlargements happened under Putin's watch and he didn't make any fuss about it then.

again, page 106 here:
https://clinton.presidentiallibraries.us/items/show/57569
the russian position on eastward nato expansion has been known since yelcin at the absolute latest. they made a fuss about it in the 90s ffs

furthermore:

this is from one of the wikileak cables https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/08MOSCOW265_a.html, from feb 2008. the usa/nato knows *exactly* what game they're playing with ukrainians, they just don't give a single poo poo about them

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Hi all, a few things--

If you have issues with D&D moderation and moderation of this thread, please take them to PMs to mods or Koos Group or QCS if you like. This thread is getting busy and it doesn't need to be clogged further.

A reminder not to simply repeat common knowledge or the same thing over and over

Koos Group posted:

[*]Being boring. This could include making the same claim over and over in the same way, particularly when you're the one bringing it up, or repeating a very common talking point we're all likely to have heard before. This is subjective, so it will be enforced fairly leniently.
As in the quote above, this will be enforced pretty leniently. Most of us were aware that Ukraine has a significant far-right (neo-Nazi, fascist, whatever terms you feel appropriate) political element and paramilitaries. Hopefully everyone is now aware of this after the last few pages. Simply repeating "Ukraine has Nazis" or similar is not really adding much to the discussion at this point. Again, this is enforced leniently, but I'd encourage posters to add more to the conversation than just repeating common knowledge.

There's been a lot of fairly low-content posting. I'd ask posters to try and keep their posts relevant to the current situation in Eastern Europe and make positive contributions to the discussion.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

Seems like tankies are massing forces on the border of the thread and doing probing incursions already

They may take our freedom, but they'll never take our Olivier salad :black101:

It was very considerate of Putin to make sure the civil war part came to be.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 14, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Truga posted:

again, page 106 here:
the russian position on eastward nato expansion has been known since yelcin at the absolute latest. they made a fuss about it in the 90s ffs

furthermore:

this is from one of the wikileak cables https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/08MOSCOW265_a.html, from feb 2008. the usa/nato knows *exactly* what game they're playing with ukrainians, they just don't give a single poo poo about them

Once again, apparently Ukrainians were sitting on the ground, lifeless as a sack of potatoes, their minds completely devoid of thought, until Westerners came along and filled their heads with ideas

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Truga posted:

again, page 106 here:

furthermore:

And Russia's response was to invade Georgia and do some ethnic cleansing. That doesn't really justify their NATO fear. This is like some guy invading his neighbors while ranting about the neighborhood association having too much power.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That just brings us back to the whole sovereignty and own agenda matter again, though. "Russian security interests" seem to boil down to being able to extort and invade Russia's neighbors whenever it feels like it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

Once again, apparently Ukrainians were sitting on the ground, lifeless as a sack of potatoes, their minds completely devoid of thought, until Westerners came along and filled their heads with ideas

no, the westerners came along and made their situation explicitly worse in every way

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

And Russia's response was to invade Georgia and do some ethnic cleansing. That doesn't really justify their NATO fear. This is like some guy invading his neighbors while ranting about the neighborhood association having too much power.

Later, to attempt igniting civil war in Ukraine, that it so feared.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Fritz the Horse posted:

As in the quote above, this will be enforced pretty leniently. Most of us were aware that Ukraine has a significant far-right (neo-Nazi, fascist, whatever terms you feel appropriate) political element and paramilitaries.

Uhh, except it's not true for political part of the statement? Unless of course you agree with me that various incarnations of pro-Russian parties should count on account of their ethnic supremacist ideology, that is, though they are more weirdo populist than traditional far right.

(Now militias? Well, more than 0 counts as too much).

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Truga posted:

no, the westerners came along and made their situation explicitly worse in every way

Jesus Christ.

People are aware that a lot of countries didn't actually want to be in the USSR anymore right? Like, there's a reason it fell apart, and while western efforts had something to do with it, it was internal divisions, not external forces that brought down the Eastern Bloc.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

anilEhilated posted:

That just brings us back to the whole sovereignty and own agenda matter again, though. "Russian security interests" seem to boil down to being able to extort and invade Russia's neighbors whenever it feels like it.

Yeah. Due to MAD, Russia is in no true danger from NATO no matter how many nations join it. They're never going to be invaded since the cost of doing so would be catastrophic.

This is purely about them not being able to bully and invade their neighbors.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Truga posted:

Oh yeah, about that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I don't think you can really separate the very long and very brutal history of antisemitism in the Ukraine from it's current predicament.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I just want to point out, I didn't bring up Russia. Someone else pulled a whataboutism comparing the history of antisemitism in the Ukraine to that of Russia.

pissinthewind posted:

Why do these posts have to repeat this same tired dogwhistle? You are not being clever or funny.