Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

Kosumo posted:

I think it was then that the next CitizenCon stream was going to be paid to watch because they where going to have to hire a real company to produce it.

This was another bit of great drama. They announced that you'd need to pay to watch their CitCon livestream, and backers got angry about it, so CIG canned that idea and released some passive-aggressive statement about how they were going to hire a production company and it would have been an awesome stream, but since cheapskate backers don't want to pay for it, guess it'll have to be the usual garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

marumaru posted:

loving half life 1 had working trip mines
you could legitimately get someone with 1 week of gamedev experience and tell them to make a tripmine and it wouldn't take them 2 hours
this is incredible

The grenades don't even work in this game. The citizens blame desync and assume server meshing will fix it, of course (even though Star Marine has identical issues).

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Star Citizen: All of those things have been discussed. They aren't valid concerns.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Mirificus posted:

They also have many bespoke tools which other game developers would love to get their hands on.

Is this referring to the customers?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The grenades don't even work in this game. The citizens blame desync and assume server meshing will fix it, of course (even though Star Marine has identical issues).

Watermelons were quite effective, however.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Star Citizer: I really find the White Knight term to be very racist.

chuckelZ
Jun 7, 2004

If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.

bandaid.friend posted:

Is this referring to the customers?

Some say the customers are procedurally generated tools as the environment shaped them to be this way.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

marumaru posted:

that reads like fanfiction

i believe it
i can't remember if donutgate and "sandi wears sunglasses on cam and crams timtams while high as poo poo" were the same incident, but both things happened, i can assure you

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

:o

:)

I wish I knew all the development studios dying to get their hands on a Frankenstein version of CryEngine. :3:

Even without mods that make it completely broken, I'm not sure the out of the box CryEngine is exactly brimming with studios tripping over their feet to get to use it.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 14, 2022

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Where is that gif from?

Here’s a better version showing how quickly her expression changed. Better still would be if it had the second afterwards when they finally cut away to her two subordinates with their jaws on the floor.

Sandi’s probably my favorite character in the TV movie version in my head. Ben’s probably 2nd, both deeply flawed but interesting and not really responsible for much other than taking advantage of the situation. Chris and Derek would really depend on how good the actor playing them is.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

marumaru posted:

loving half life 1 had working trip mines

So did Duke Nukem 8 years or so before Half Life 1!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
You are clearly not smart enough to understand trip mines development.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

MilesK posted:

Here’s a better version showing how quickly her expression changed. Better still would be if it had the second afterwards when they finally cut away to her two subordinates with their jaws on the floor.

Sandi’s probably my favorite character in the TV movie version in my head. Ben’s probably 2nd, both deeply flawed but interesting and not really responsible for much other than taking advantage of the situation. Chris and Derek would really depend on how good the actor playing them is.

I can't really imagine anyone other that Samuel L. Jackson for Derek, he'd bring the over the top bombastic attitude that role requires. Chris would be nearly impossible to cast - lots of movies feature complete bumbling idiot characters, but very few of them have no charismatic or funny qualities to offset that. It would have to be a character that isn't just incompetent, but somehow also uncharismatic, unsympathetic, yet simultaneously accidentally winning and loving over people left and right at the same time. Like Inspector Clouseau, but not even solving the case at the end, and getting innocent bystanders killed along the way, while winning the lottery.

There's no way this movie would ever get made unless Chris gets his comeuppance at the end - it would depress audiences too much.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Samuel L would do nicely but imo it has to be Brian Blessed for Derek

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 14, 2022

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

The Titanic posted:

There was the great day where CR absolved himself.

I believe there was also a post from some cig developer or forums moderator that anything cig said before, maybe 2020 or 2021, depending on that post date, should just be totally ignored from here forwards.

I'm not sure if there was an official announcement of that. They just stop taking about deliveries for functional pieces after they sold that piece of functionality for money. Usually by the next great ship sale, whatever functions the previous ship needed have been utterly forgotten about.

That whole absolving thing is just that part in a video where he laughs and says he's not good at estimating the time other people take, and then he casually adds that he absolves himself of that, that's it right? I'm pretty sure that's what people are talking about. I watched that and it didn't even register, certainly not as a major turning point in a half billion dollar enterprise. Like that poll, they've become such cornerstones of the entire justification of star citizen development and when I actually look into it I'm like, wait that's it? Every crumb of explanation becomes an article of faith.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

I can't really imagine anyone other that Samuel L. Jackson for Derek, he'd bring the over the top bombastic attitude that role requires. Chris would be nearly impossible to cast - lots of movies feature complete bumbling idiot characters, but very few of them have no charismatic or funny qualities to offset that. It would have to be a character that isn't just incompetent, but somehow also uncharismatic, unsympathetic, yet simultaneously accidentally winning and loving over people left and right at the same time. Like Inspector Clouseau, but not even solving the case at the end, and getting innocent bystanders killed along the way, while winning the lottery.

There's no way this movie would ever get made unless Chris gets his comeuppance at the end - it would depress audiences too much.

No no, if you really capture Chris’ dumb handwaving skills he could be the star. Imagine him trying to calm a furious Sandi. There’s plenty of sympathy for a guy too dumb to learn anything meaningful from his Freelancer mistakes. The evil characters would have to be Ortwin and the Elms brothers, or whoever’s in the tell all book. Chris is the villain who’s bad choices are responsible for everything, but you feel bad for.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

The Titanic posted:

I'm sure it's possible that at one point in his life, CR was an astute developer. But this was probably during the Commodore 64 era.

After seeing him, rarely, actually interacting with a computer or even just the keyboard, he seems utterly bewildered and lost by it. I've never once seen a video where it looks like he is one of those super genius developers who's afraid to be in the spotlight so they look kind of goofy... all those guys "click" once they just have to focus on the computer and they don't look like they've never seen a computer before.

I'm sure we'll never know how much CR contributed towards the project as an actual developer writing code... but I encourage you to go watch some of the clips where they tried to play him off as being some kind of a code whisperer and gods gift to modern programming.

Yeah, that's true. From the stories about his Wing Commander pitch at Origin and that story from one of the guys who worked on CryTek's Star Citizen kickstarter video, I think Chris Roberts is probably one of those guys who can put on a really good, convincing presentation to a small group. He knows enough about programming and game development to sound confident and competent in a 30-minute pitch, and knows how to generate enthusiasm and interest. The sort of man that if you didn't know what he was like to work with, you would absolutely think was the kind of driven, highly-skilled visionary who would do something great. He knows just enough to be able to convincingly portray an expert in very controlled circumstances.

But when you see him trying to actually do the things he seemed so self-assured about in that pitch meeting, it's just cringey beyond belief.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

FishMcCool posted:

Star Citizen: All of those things have been discussed. They aren't valid concerns.

Star Citizen: All Of This Has Been Discussed Before And Will Be Discussed Again

(And They Aren't Valid Concerns)

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Scruffpuff posted:

Chris would be nearly impossible to cast - lots of movies feature complete bumbling idiot characters, but very few of them have no charismatic or funny qualities to offset that. It would have to be a character that isn't just incompetent, but somehow also uncharismatic, unsympathetic, yet simultaneously accidentally winning and loving over people left and right at the same time.
Adam Sandler

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

smellmycheese posted:

Happy Coramor Everyone

:wtchris: reskinned ship for almost double of the original price

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
€213 for a pretend spaceship. If the human race somehow manages to survive the various pending planetary clusterfucks, future generations will one day find this screenshot and understand why our civilisation was always going to collapse...

Regarding the SC - The Movie, would Kevin Costner get a role? I'm sure he'd enjoy doing a job on someone.

.random
May 7, 2007

Mirificus posted:

quote:

how many years after the introduction of Orison will we have to wait to see the space whales on which CIG has been working for 3 years.

Tbf, CIG has been working on those whales for 10 years now, and apparently the funding tracker has never been happier!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

How big is the budget .... Ben would have to be CGI right?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

FishMcCool posted:

€213 for a pretend spaceship.

I will always laugh that for this much you can buy a whole drat fleet on the unity asset store.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

A plebian console has beaten SC to space cocktail mixing action -- and in VR no less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTpvHD24iz0

:sad:

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."

Mirificus posted:

Some Citizen posted:

More people than ever are playing more types of games than ever. SC is essentially "you mean I can play my star wars or star trek fantasies out in highly-realized graphical awesomeness?" so the target market is MASSIVE. And every indicator to date supports this. No wonder Chris wants to get it right!

This is from a couple weeks ago, but the thing that befuddles me the most is the people who look at absolutely anything in Star Citizen and see Star Trek.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

The Titanic posted:

Some of the classics involve concepts where the complexity behind it was obfuscated away by layering on code, and making it happen was basically like flipping a Boolean value.

isMMO = true;
iVRCompatible = true;

No SC/CR code is complete without loads of if statements. They should be heavily nested if statements but I'm lazy.

If cash > $20million AND
If mansions => 2 AND
If vitiamans > 2kg AND
If developers = 1000 AND
If Denis = helping ;

THEN
Gamecomplete = true;
Isgood = true;
isMMO = true;
iVRCompatible = true;

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Dwesa posted:

:wtchris: reskinned ship for almost double of the original price

that art is p poo poo too

Hog Jowls
Apr 10, 2004

The ditch is nearer.

Play posted:

that art is p poo poo too

nothing says "romance" quite like a weld line running through the center of someone's face

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The reality is that in a few years time, Chris Roberts sells CIG/RSI ect. for tens of millions of dollars and walks away rich.

All on the backers money.

He is a conman.

Sandi then devoices he again and takes half.

This is the way.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

L. Ron Hoover posted:

That whole absolving thing is just that part in a video where he laughs and says he's not good at estimating the time other people take, and then he casually adds that he absolves himself of that, that's it right? I'm pretty sure that's what people are talking about. I watched that and it didn't even register, certainly not as a major turning point in a half billion dollar enterprise. Like that poll, they've become such cornerstones of the entire justification of star citizen development and when I actually look into it I'm like, wait that's it? Every crumb of explanation becomes an article of faith.

Sure. :)

My consideration is when you're the ceo of a company, and you've sold all these promises, and promised them to people in a timely manner, and everything is always "weeks, not months" away, saying something like that, even if it's not in a press release format, is pretty bad regardless of how loud it is.

But this is why they're 10 years in, looking at another decade. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

The reality is that in a few years time, Chris Roberts sells CIG/RSI ect. for tens of millions of dollars and walks away rich.

He is a conman.

This is the way.

I believe this to be the case.

I think that's why they're hunting for that game that makes them a tastier target for a buy out. I don't think it's sc or sq404. Might be ToW, or something completely new.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Hog Jowls posted:

nothing says "romance" quite like a weld line running through the center of someone's face

i think it looks like they dont have a hand. just a robot stump with a flashlight on the end

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Kosumo posted:

He is a conman.

This is the way.

He'd all the already sold a slice for 5 million...

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Wasn't there a webcam that would translate your face into animations on your avatar? I remember an extremely awkward tech demo and also some obvious questions about how that would be compatible with a VR setup. Whatever happened to that guy?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

doingitwrong posted:

Wasn't there a webcam that would translate your face into animations on your avatar? I remember an extremely awkward tech demo and also some obvious questions about how that would be compatible with a VR setup. Whatever happened to that guy?

Yes (Chris Roberts answer)

It works, is poo poo and it had been done before.

But don't let that stop you from being conned by Christ Roberts.

Also, like with many deals with Chris Roberts, nothing actually came about with their own custom webcam.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

DigitalPenny posted:

No SC/CR code is complete without loads of if statements. They should be heavily nested if statements but I'm lazy.

If cash > $20million AND
If mansions => 2 AND
If vitiamans > 2kg AND
If developers = 1000 AND
If Denis = helping ;

THEN
Gamecomplete = true;
Isgood = true;
isMMO = true;
iVRCompatible = true;

assignments where Chris should be checking for equality? Yep that checks out, this is the work of the code whisperer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
I’ve just watched a timeline of New World by Josh Hayes and how a 900k player base managed to break the game in so many hilarious ways. And Amazon was still unable to stop them, several months after release.

And then I think about SC in the same crappy engine, aiming for a larger player base, and it’s like….

Lol this game will never release.