Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Very tempted to crosspost it to the graphs thread tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Very tempted to crosspost it to the graphs thread tbh.

What causes the retrograde spike on the downward edge?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brick resonance dynamics.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

notaspy posted:

What causes the retrograde spike on the downward edge?

The bricks

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's still dropping lower than the models predicted

https://twitter.com/StormchaserUKEU/status/1494452196846542850

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tsietisin posted:

Is that better or worse?

Because the numbers at the centre are lower than the isobar around it, that means the storm being lower than expected is bad, as it's a low pressure system. So the lower the pressure the more ominous the storm. Also the closer the isobars are on the map the stronger the windows, that's the other thing to look at.

Yes, somehow I remember Standard Grade Geography despite it being 22 years ago.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Who are the pro-Putin Marxists who don't shoot terrorists? They sound confused.

It doesn't mean anything, it just frightens people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can imagine there definitely are pro-Putin Marxists who don't shoot terrorists, because I know what small communist groups are like, but I bet they're three unpleasant beardy men who meet in a pub and absolutely hate the two postmodern neomarxists at the next table (one of whom is an outspoken Jordan Peterson fan).

I'm just less sure what any of it has to do with anything.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

So is the entire UK going to get turned into sand by a hyperstorm by tomorrow afternoon?

It'd be a pretty cool loving end honestly as looking at the map the only thing left is north of Inverness which then gets a new ice age.

Fitting.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mebh posted:

So is the entire UK going to get turned into sand by a hyperstorm by tomorrow afternoon?

It'd be a pretty cool loving end honestly as looking at the map the only thing left is north of Inverness which then gets a new ice age.

Fitting.

Nah, probably just the south. And by South I mean England & Wales. Just going to snow up here & tbh it snowed this morning anyway so that's just February poo poo

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's going to hit the SW from around 6am, and I'm predicted to have 90mph gusts directly hitting my lounge window by 9am.

If you don't hear from me, please send help weed.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

fuctifino posted:

If you don't hear from me, please send help weed.

Did you turn your ultra bong into a Mr Freeze style weather weapon of destruction? Come on, own up...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wait, if you burned bales of weed at the right points, could you turn the entire Bristol channel into a bong?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Mebh posted:

Did you turn your ultra bong into a Mr Freeze style weather weapon of destruction? Come on, own up...

That's been mothballed for a few months now due to laziness, so no, unless my cat's been experimenting with it while I'm asleep.

This is my new toy, a Mad Heaters Revolve. British designed and manufactured, and is a masterpiece of design, aesthetics and functionality.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

fuctifino posted:

That's been mothballed for a few months now due to laziness, so no, unless my cat's been experimenting with it while I'm asleep.

This is my new toy, a Mad Heaters Revolve. British designed and manufactured, and is a masterpiece of design, aesthetics and functionality.

Where's the flared base?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

Where's the flared base?

Where's the fun without some risk?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

He'll turn his whole bristol channel into a bong and nobody can stop him!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Wait, if you burned bales of weed at the right points, could you turn the entire Bristol channel into a bong?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Looks like XKCD has a rival on the horizon!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:discourse:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Oh cool, the Bovington Tank Museum is showing the AVRE off!

quote:

The turret, initially not required, was retained allowing a spigot mortar firing a petard to be added. The petard mortar was a separate development, firing a large demolition charge, the "Bomb, Demolition Number I", that became known as the "flying dustbin". Development on this began in September 1942 and was united with the Churchill turret following experimental use on a Covenanter tank. With plenty of space inside the Churchill, a number of "flying dustbins" could be carried in addition to the demolitions stores. The petard was reloaded through a sliding cover that replaced one of the forward drivers hatches in the top of the hull.

AVRE (Armoured Vehicle Royal Engineers)'s spigot mortar, the flying dustbin and a Royal 'Gineer.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The "flying gas stove filled with poo poo" having already been taken at a previous planning meet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A more fun paragraph IMO if you don't know a churchill is a variety of tank.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Apraxin posted:

yeah, Harry Stanley got loving executed in the street in broad daylight by the Met because some paranoid idiot mistook a Scottish accent for an Irish one and was unable to identify a piece of wooden furniture:

I was going to mention Harry Stanley in my post but didn't in the end.

And I know it wasn't in the UK, but there was an economics prof sitting on a plane doing some advanced math and the woman next to him reported him to the pilot as a terrorist.

Menzio was flying from Philadelphia to Syracuse on Thursday to give a talk at Queen’s University in Ontario, Canada. He was solving a differential equation, but said he was told the woman thought he might be a terrorist because of what he was writing.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/may/07/professor-flight-delay-terrorism-equation-american-airlines

Given the UK is full of idiots who don't know the difference between paedophile and paediatrician

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/aug/30/childprotection.society

Self-styled vigilantes attacked the home of a hospital paediatrician after apparently confusing her professional title with the word "paedophile", it emerged yesterday

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 18, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's getting a bit breezy like.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Well if you're not going to snipe the page I guess I will from all the way down here

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Well if you're not going to snipe the page I guess I will from all the way down here

Thank u for u r service

In Exeter and ready for Stormaggedon. I've noticed as I've gotten older I've gotten a lot more interested in Weather (especially the Extreme variety) so this could be an Experience

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's
Welp just been told schools in Hampshire to be closed today due to the storm. Most of my smarter colleagues have all left their laptops at school. Sounds like I’m the only one remote teaching.

(Like any of the kids will show up on the last day of half term)

Warhammer 3 just came out

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's starting to get pretty nasty down here.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Just in case some of you aren't aware, there's a new red alert zone for the London and the S/SE

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1494524831982837764

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

It's starting to get pretty nasty down here.

You need to eat more fibre.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

very still and quiet here on the southbank, lots of people called in because all the trains are cancelled so might be a chill friday :cheers:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

There's not even a little movement in the trees. Very nice and chill

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Those posts are going to age well

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
weird noises as the wind blows into the exhaust pipe on my water heater .this will end well im sure

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

notaspy posted:

Those posts are going to age well
Honestly just makes me want to double down on it.

Its pretty fine here guys. Bit of rain, bit of wind, you won't need to summon up your Blitz spirit to overcome ordinary every day English weather! Mark my words, absolutely zero negative consequences will emerge from this, much like with Brexit or the Iraq War.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Where's Jose in all this?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Guavanaut posted:

Who are the pro-Putin Marxists who don't shoot terrorists? They sound confused.

They were making GBS threads up the EE thread to the point the Russia/Ukraine conflict got shoved to a new thread, there will you find them.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Lol the storm has begun to land here, and most of my neighbours are still blithely putting their recycling bins out (it's bin day, you see) , even though cardboard and plastic has already been strewn around from people putting it out last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Seems pretty calm in central London rn. Storm my arse.