Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

Not the Dutch. They tended to get right offended. "We all speak English you know!" Followed by switching back to Dutch and talking to their friends over you about some poo poo, expensive restaurant they went to.
"Well of course, they're both dialects of German."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Mebh posted:

Jealous! Sounds ace!

It really is. I think you can get em p cheap in Aldi too. And in a pinch a washing up bowl with a few of them rubber sponge things with the soft spikes at the bottom would get about 80% of the way there I reckon.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

ThomasPaine posted:

I want new horizon so much but 59.99, jfc

yeah and all my money was spent buying multiple copies of elden ring

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

yeah and all my money was spent buying multiple copies of elden ring

God drat but next weekend is going to be good. I am so loving pumped.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

God I'm so loving ready for Elden Ring.

Re: Foreign language chat, every time I've gone to Berlin, I've tried out my barely conversational German and every single time I've had a drink bought for me to celebrate my trying. Good lads are the Germans.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

I’ve warned my wife that the TV will be mine all weekend for Elden Ring.. had to trade the next weekend to her for the new series of Outlander.

Worth it.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

therattle posted:

My experience is that most people appreciate one trying to use their language. Including the French.

This is true. My GF at the time and I lived near Paris for a couple of years and we picked up French pretty well. Like others who had similar experiences said, put a bit of effort in and the local shopkeepers etc. appreciate it and will help you out.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Answers Me posted:

https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1495081871100846083

Big 'Paul Gascoigne with a crate of lager and a fishing rod' energy from NATO Paul here

Maybe the gear is cheap there?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

biglads posted:

This is true. My GF at the time and I lived near Paris for a couple of years and we picked up French pretty well. Like others who had similar experiences said, put a bit of effort in and the local shopkeepers etc. appreciate it and will help you out.

The English love to poo poo-talk the French but whenever I have been in France, which is a fair bit between work and holidays, I don’t think I’ve ever encountered the stereotypical French rudeness. I think it helps if one is polite and tries to speak French. I’ve only ever been met with friendliness in response. (And my French is very limited).

I think what gets foreigners’ backs up, understandably, is tourists just starting with English and expecting that locals will respond accordingly. I suspect that a lot of the English cliches about rude French people is down to the French not responding well to rudeness.

We’ve taught my son a few basic words (merci, Bon jour etc) and they love that.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

The English love to poo poo-talk the French but whenever I have been in France, which is a fair bit between work and holidays, I don’t think I’ve ever encountered the stereotypical French rudeness. I think it helps if one is polite and tries to speak French. I’ve only ever been met with friendliness in response. (And my French is very limited).

I think what gets foreigners’ backs up, understandably, is tourists just starting with English and expecting that locals will respond accordingly. I suspect that a lot of the English cliches about rude French people is down to the French not responding well to rudeness.

We’ve taught my son a few basic words (merci, Bon jour etc) and they love that.

99% of British (in fact any non-French) complaints about French people are actually about Parisians, and every French person would vehemently agree with them if they actually poo poo-talked Parisians rather than the French as a whole.

Now if you're really gonna poo poo-talk foreigners, start with Amsterdam cafe staff. A glass of lukewarm water is *not* the basis of a good cup of tea, and I *know* you all know this because it's Amsterdam and you probably see more British and Irish people in here than you do Dutch. Even the snootiest Parisian waiter will grudgingly at least supply the ingredients for a cup of tea (although you may have to take their family hostage to do so), cafes in Rotterdam manage it, but every single waiter in Amsterdam gives you the same look of bemusement like you've just asked them to microwave an ice cream or put sugar on a toastie (and yes we're aware of what toasties are, no need to enthusiastically describe them like they're some rare local delicacy).

I assume it's actually some kind of revenge for the fact that every single Anglophone who steps foot in a cafe in Amsterdam makes the same "You sell coffee, so this must be a coffee shop, give me all the weed" joke.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Capital cities breed a special kind of rear end in a top hat the world over. So far Reykjavik has been the only exception in my experience.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

^^^ If you're not careful, you'll get served one of these

In lukewarm water, and removed quickly so it doesn't taste too tea-y, of course.

--

The difference I've found with French speakers is that if you speak to them in passable French, they won't go "ugh, stupid English" and switch to English - which the Dutch do to show off their English, and others do because it's easier than watching the foreigner struggle. But the Francophones tend towards an attitude of "quite right too" when you speak French. Which is much more helpful for the learner.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I just arrived in Leiden yesterday and was quite amused this morning when my wife and friend were served hot water in an IKEA tumbler with a teabag on the side

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1495344939768631306

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I just arrived in Leiden yesterday and was quite amused this morning when my wife and friend were served hot water in an IKEA tumbler with a teabag on the side

There's pretty much a 50/50 chance that this is what you get if you order tea in any Scandinavian café. Few people except high school students would order tea at a café anyway over here.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i'll bet paul mason listens to liam gallagher songs loudly on headphones in public

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

crispix posted:

i'll bet paul mason listens to liam gallagher songs loudly on headphones in public

He probably listens without headphones on the train, all tinny like.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

https://twitter.com/ianvisits/status/1495359773889470468

Well that's just kinda depressing.

These American Candy shops have to be a front, right? There's hundreds of them in Glasgow, in pretty prime locations, they're never busy so I've no idea how they afford to stay open.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

99% of British (in fact any non-French) complaints about French people are actually about Parisians, and every French person would vehemently agree with them if they actually poo poo-talked Parisians rather than the French as a whole.

Now if you're really gonna poo poo-talk foreigners, start with Amsterdam cafe staff. A glass of lukewarm water is *not* the basis of a good cup of tea, and I *know* you all know this because it's Amsterdam and you probably see more British and Irish people in here than you do Dutch. Even the snootiest Parisian waiter will grudgingly at least supply the ingredients for a cup of tea (although you may have to take their family hostage to do so), cafes in Rotterdam manage it, but every single waiter in Amsterdam gives you the same look of bemusement like you've just asked them to microwave an ice cream or put sugar on a toastie (and yes we're aware of what toasties are, no need to enthusiastically describe them like they're some rare local delicacy).

I assume it's actually some kind of revenge for the fact that every single Anglophone who steps foot in a cafe in Amsterdam makes the same "You sell coffee, so this must be a coffee shop, give me all the weed" joke.

Revenge is a dish served lukewarm.

I’ve been in Paris a fair bit and didn’t even find people there particularly rude.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

they're never busy so I've no idea how they afford to stay open.

You usually need to take out a mortgage to afford what they sell, so it's basically like hotel chocolat for manky yank crap.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
My problem is if I try to speak French, I work it out in my head but when I open my mouth Arabic comes out. Same with my very rusty German, what actually comes out is very rusty Norwegian. It's like when you put the CDs back in the wrong boxes (in the olden days).

Brenda's got covid (just got the news on).

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

These American Candy shops have to be a front, right? There's hundreds of them in Glasgow, in pretty prime locations, they're never busy so I've no idea how they afford to stay open.

They also clearly recycle their stock, when one place closes, another opens, and the same products are in the window, to the point where many of them have been sun-bleached, even on the week the new shop opens.

The bit that confuses me is, usually a money laundering front has an actual legitimate business attached so that you can hide your criminal transactions among the legitimate ones. But these places don't get legitimate transactions in any reasonable volume, so far as I can tell.

I once asked one if they could maybe help me import some white cheddar popcorn from America, offering to pay for like an entire case, and was looked at as if I'd grown an extra head or something.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Last time I was in Oxford street I tried to count how many there were between the station and Tottenham Court Road. I think I lost count at 15 or so, all empty.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Reveilled posted:

I once asked one if they could maybe help me import some white cheddar popcorn from America, offering to pay for like an entire case, and was looked at as if I'd grown an extra head or something.

rightly so imo

reading those five words made me go like this :stare:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My problem is if I try to speak French, I work it out in my head but when I open my mouth Arabic comes out. Same with my very rusty German, what actually comes out is very rusty Norwegian. It's like when you put the CDs back in the wrong boxes (in the olden days).

Brenda's got covid (just got the news on).

Snagger du norsk?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
:siren: majesty our boys queen is poz https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60453566 :siren:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
ukranian president looks like joe pasquale doesn't he heheheh

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

"Expects to be able to carry out light duties."

Uh huh, sure.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
bit of dusting and drying the dishes and that i shouldn't wonder

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Can't believe Boris killed the queen.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

"Expects to be able to carry out light duties."

Uh huh, sure.

Was in contact with Charles last week. Wonder if he knew he was positive before visiting Mummy?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

According to this reddit link to a private eye article in the replies, it's all about money laundering and/or drug dealing. That said, according to the discussion in the reddit comments, every single apparently profitable form of high street shop is a front for money laundering and/or drug dealing. Except bookies, where presumably the scam is too surface-level.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

josh04 posted:

According to this reddit link to a private eye article in the replies, it's all about money laundering and/or drug dealing. That said, according to the discussion in the reddit comments, every single apparently profitable form of high street shop is a front for money laundering and/or drug dealing. Except bookies, where presumably the scam is too surface-level.

even the body shop? :aaa:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

The franchise itself could be laundering- the fee to use the brand / open the shop.

Also the property itself could be owned by someone needing to launder.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

josh04 posted:

I thought the Fixed Odds Betting Terminals in the bookies were really good for money laundering? Or am I a decade out of date her? I probably am

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
So Chuck coughed at Liz.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
let’s go covid

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

What's Gibbo got to say?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

crispix posted:

rightly so imo

reading those five words made me go like this :stare:

White cheddar popcorn is the best snack food mankind has ever created, and I'm eternally bemused that as a country we consider cheese on corn to be an acceptable combo, as long as the corn has been mashed up into a dough, put under heat and pressure, oxygenated and then extruded through a tube to make Wotsits or any other cheese flavoured baked corn snack, but just cooking the corn and putting the cheese flavour on directly? Disgusting to many people, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Who will win: covid, or Elizabeth’s furious determination to outlive Charles?