Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I seriously doubt Bill Bailey is racist

Edit: 85 BC was the first Mithridatic war. The success of Sulla against Mithradates would pave the way for his rise and fatal weakening of the Republican traditions of Rome.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Feb 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm pretty sure Bill Bailey is on several lists of "woke SJW comedians to be ignored".

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No, please build even more ultra-tall buildings right by the river with tiny gaps between them that focus winds like the loving Death Star.

This is where the video was taken from, tallest residential building in the UK, you get a rather better idea of the problem from the 3D view though:

This is the area from the direction the wind was coming in - those completely smooth buildings really do focus the wind almost perfectly (and also team up with the buildings behind to focus westerlies right down the dock onto the bridge i was talking about last week).

I worked at the BBC at Salford Quays for a bit, and was living a short walk nearby. At the time, the whole development there was very new, and was basically a group of office blocks sitting out on the canal, the other side of which was basically just a flat blasted wasteland all the way to the horizon. Walking to the office across the plaza on a blustery February morning meant that the wind, which had been blowing over the wasteland slammed into the buildings and was funnelled into the gap between them, blasting straight into the faces of everyone trying to get to work. It was like having to fight a wind machine every morning.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

If Bill Bailey is a racist, gently caress it I'll be one to. Whatever he is on is great

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Comrade Fakename posted:

Margaret Atwood seems like a good sort, but is also old, and so doesn't understand the culture war ramifications of some of the stuff she puts her name to. So, she'll be fully on board for trans rights, but when some terf asks her to sign something she misses the obfuscated implications and just agrees "why yes, I do think that authors such as JK Rowling should be allowed to speak their mind," or "of course you should be allowed to say the word 'mother.'"

I think you underestimate her (and make an ageist comment about her too). I reckon she understands this stuff better than most of us.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

I worked at the BBC at Salford Quays for a bit, and was living a short walk nearby. At the time, the whole development there was very new, and was basically a group of office blocks sitting out on the canal, the other side of which was basically just a flat blasted wasteland all the way to the horizon. Walking to the office across the plaza on a blustery February morning meant that the wind, which had been blowing over the wasteland slammed into the buildings and was funnelled into the gap between them, blasting straight into the faces of everyone trying to get to work. It was like having to fight a wind machine every morning.

Yeah, I had an office I had to visit occasionally at the Lowry in the naughties and it really did remind me a lot of the Isle of Dogs c. 1989, including that whole "Wind getting a nice long run-up at you" feel on the waterside, although nothing down here is quite such a perfect tornado-generating machine as the concourse in front of the Lowry - it was sometimes literally impossible to open the door at the office because of the sheer wind pressure (they changed to a sliding door, then a much more robust sliding door when the first one got blown off it's track the first windy day).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

therattle posted:

I think you underestimate her (and make an ageist comment about her too). I reckon she understands this stuff better than most of us.

Mmmmmmm. I think it's more that she probably doesn't spend all day on Twitter or mumsnet deciphering the euphemisms these morons constantly churn out to try and mask their hateful drivel . AKA "the discourse"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Marmaduke! posted:

It's also amazing in particular with the terfalists how they always say they're just protecting women's rights yet they're always so eager to defend men who have treated women so badly. "Women's safety is the most important thing, now let me tell you why Woody Allen/Louis CK/Roman Polanski are all such great guys and victims of cancel culture".
If, for arguments sake, Gender Critical were a horrific cult based on self-perpetuating disgust rather than an honest liberatory movement, it would probably find itself needing that kind of male predatory violence to assist that self-perpetuation, in the same way that it would find itself needing queer-bashing and police brutality and 19th century heteropatriarchal rape laws.

Related, Caelan Conrad just dropped the first part of a huge deep dive confirming a lot of suspicions about how badly it is a horrific cult based on self-perpetuating disgust rather than an honest liberatory movement, which isn't an easy watch even though they content warning the worst parts.

but like :nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwI6py78gsI

The one lol is the huge amount of effort they put into proving that GCs are allergic to hard evidence over simple outrage being countered by GCs saying "omg its long and boring didn't watch". Oh and Carol Marinara.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

The much-vaunted brownfield redevelopment in the middle of Peterborough has similar problems. I've complained about it before itt because it was originally approved as a mixed development of high- and low-rise housing, retail/restaurant space, council offices and cultural/art venues but has ended up as just a complex of high-rise 'luxury flats' with a Gregg's in the middle.

The one surviving plot of 'public green space' is a small square of grass and some box hedge in one corner where the public right of way path is allowed to skirt the complex, and the buildings are seemingly perfectly orientated so any wind with an east in comes across the North Sea, across the Fens, up the Nene and then gets venturi-ed into an icy jet blast that is specifically aimed at anyone on this bit of grass. The same goes for the new 'riverside promenade' which turned out to be a glorified galvanised steel catwalk which was clearly put there in the most begrudging fashion because there had to be a public footpath there. Both these public paths are swept by blasts of wind and even on still days have a really hostile aspect due to being crowded and loomed over by tall, mostly empty buildings with smoked glass and grey cladding, like some sort of Imperial landing craft. Exactly the sort of place you want to linger or have an impromptu social interaction with a neighbour...

Such a classic move to make even the bare minimum of public green space so bland, denuded and unpleasant that no one wants to use it. I don't know if it's deliberate or just a result of the architects/developers not giving a poo poo but the result is the same.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Speaking of the weather:

https://twitter.com/AlanBarrierEA/status/1495679101398564864

206 defensive uses of the Thames Barrier in the last 38 years... 3 of them this year. Probably fine.

(It's not sea-level-rise related, London is pretty safely uphill from the sea, it's because warmer seas mean there's more frequent and more violent North Atlantic windstorms, which are extra dice rolls to hit the exact conditions needed to endanger London - northeasterly wind around Scotland and the North Sea causing a storm surge to flow south, forcing it's way up the Thames Estuary, coinciding with a spring tide (a high tide when the the Sun and Moon are lined up with Earth, nothing to do with the season))

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

therattle posted:

I'm pretty sure Ive seen Atwood write that she doesn't consider herself a feminist by works and that Handmaid's Tale is just about the specific fascism desired by American politicians.

With that in mind it's entirely fair to assume that she did not give a poo poo to learn the dogwhistles of the incoherent merger of UK 2nd wave feminism, identity politics of the most stupid kind, and the exact same fascists shes been writing about.

I only feel confident in saying that because, as noted, she upset some people a while back, and has clearly since prepped herself to know when she's being baited by a gobshite like Freeman.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

This is a good post from a Jewish (former) member in North Islington.

https://rebellion602.wordpress.com/2022/02/21/reaching-the-tipping-point/

Incredible that the Labour right can think they're on the good side of any of this, and that they're supported in that belief by so many.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

BalloonFish posted:

Such a classic move to make even the bare minimum of public green space so bland, denuded and unpleasant that no one wants to use it. I don't know if it's deliberate or just a result of the architects/developers not giving a poo poo but the result is the same.

You've reminded me of the misery parks you get next to most tall buildings. Developers put them in to say "See, local amenities!" but it's actually just the bit of the plot they couldn't put buildings on because they need somewhere for the site offices, plant, etc to go when they're actually putting the buildings up. In the most extreme cases they stick out like a sore thumb because they're almost exactly two lorry-widths wide (one for the delivery lorries, one for the Portakabins which are of course one lorry wide for obvious reasons), completely overshadowed by the buildings, and have the most desultory attempts at amenities like a single bench and some sub B&Q playground equipment.

The Landmark development I was talking about has the biggest pisstake one of them all because it's also the "playground" for the (private) nursery in one of the retail units at the base, but because it's wedged between two of the buildings and runs east-west the winds are so high it literally stripped the astroturf off the ground, and it's been sealed up with portable barriers anchored to one-ton concrete blocks which *still* get blown over once in a while. It might be the most cursed place in all of E14, and as you can imagine that's a crowded loving field.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1495716773030731781?t=jwKjy7zgknNMzrLq_lYQeQ&s=19

:thunk:

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

it's the queen then?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

queen consort camilla is recovering as expected

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

therattle posted:

lol 100% gently caress the old (though not literally).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is far easier to think that everything you want to do is right because it's you doing it than it is to try and form an objective measure of the results of your actions.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
'Monarch ascends to the throne after accidentally* infecting their predecessor with a deadly virus' will at least be a fun tidbit for future history books, I guess

(*one would assume...)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Looke posted:

it's the queen then?

https://twitter.com/terryfuck45/status/1495728639903678465?t=lOcxq0fv7h_kbWBsSaRktg&s=19

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

The problem for Atwood et al is this is rarely being done in good faith by either side.

There's some subset of "woman's" issues people deal with in their life that can only be attributed to the anatomy they are born with, and many that aren't. Those issues sometimes require political organising. There's a vicious group of people who take this fact, which should be entirely uncontroversial, and subvert it to say "all woman's issues come down to the anatomy they are born with" - often simply by discounting other issues as being issues at all.

The other way people construe this is by saying only issues of born anatomy count as "women's" issues, the rest are some other kind, but crucially not be exclusionary at all. It's incredibly nuanced. This latter group can contain some very wise, kind people, who are absolutely allies of all sorts of persecuted people, I suspect including Atwood.

People are constantly trying to cast peoples views on some of the most complicated questions of identity philosophy has ever thrown up into "with us or against us" camps, and I loving wish we would all just stop.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You've reminded me of the misery parks you get next to most tall buildings. Developers put them in to say "See, local amenities!" but it's actually just the bit of the plot they couldn't put buildings on because they need somewhere for the site offices, plant, etc to go when they're actually putting the buildings up. In the most extreme cases they stick out like a sore thumb because they're almost exactly two lorry-widths wide (one for the delivery lorries, one for the Portakabins which are of course one lorry wide for obvious reasons), completely overshadowed by the buildings, and have the most desultory attempts at amenities like a single bench and some sub B&Q playground equipment.

I will have to take a walk and see if the one here is suspiciously 18m x 6m. I have a feeling it might be!

I like the term misery parks for these. Though surely spite park would be better?

sebzilla posted:

Incredible that the Labour right can think they're on the good side of any of this, and that they're supported in that belief by so many.

That is a good read. By good I of course mean 'simultaneously really depressing and infuriating'.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 21, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really don't think it is necessary to get all "both sides"-ey about terfs and normal people tbh.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

sebzilla posted:

I think a fair few of them don't think they're on the "good" side, but that they're cool hardnosed badasses who get the job done, or whatever

like, trying to be "good" is for naive babies who don't understand politics

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I really don't think it is necessary to get all "both sides"-ey about terfs and normal people tbh.

I don't think it's so much a "both sides" thing so much as there being a small minority of ostensibly lefty people who are just enjoy being the bully. Meanwhile that describes 100% of TERFs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I find that difficult to square with the idea that it is "rarely being done in good faith by either side" I think in actual fact, the people it affects have quite sincere and legitimate interest in knowing how other people think about them and that this is not, in fact, them acting in bad faith.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

e: forget it

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

No-ones complaining about straight talking interviews, it's this system of trying to trick people into agreeing or disagreeing with a hyperonline dogwhistle or shibboleth when they have no idea what it means.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Hadley Freeman has poo poo for brains and so does Sonia Sodha.

This isn't really a 'post' insofar as it contains no new information but I feel better for saying it.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Guavanaut posted:

The one lol is the huge amount of effort they put into proving that GCs are allergic to hard evidence over simple outrage being countered by GCs saying "omg its long and boring didn't watch". Oh and Carol Marinara.

Looks like a depressing watch which I shall have a go with, thanks.

The hard evidence is often the dumbest part at least, like Hadley saying every living thing is male or female, or the (far more depressing) lie that there are hundreds of trans rapists in prison (this came about from the dogma of "you must have a penis to rape", combined with there being a few hundred women in prison for rape and the knowledge that self ID is currently accepted, therefore it was inferred that each of those convicts must be transgender - males pretending to be women for greater access to further victims. In fact they're pretty much all cis women that took part in rape with a man and were convicted, I don't think there are even that many trans people in prison full stop. It did at least get a correction from the newspaper that made the error, at least).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mega Comrade posted:

Was he? Are you referring to the owl bit?

No, I'm referring to the time he did a literal "ching chong Chinaman" bit live on stage. I personally saw him do it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jedit posted:

No, I'm referring to the time he did a literal "ching chong Chinaman" bit live on stage. I personally saw him do it.

Seems to be the same bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmgXqvTKlnY

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

jiggerypokery posted:

e: forget it

Just going to say I don't disagree with the idea that there's a distinction between ignorance of a heavily propagandised issue and terfery, and that anatomical/reproductive inequality is both a place you will find that distinction and the preferred recruiting issue of bigots

However, during lockdown, I did discover second-hand that "let's put sanitary products in men's bathrooms, as a small help to fight period poverty and also because trans men exist" is basically a cheat code to make terfs own their priorities, and it makes well-intentioned people ask why "feminists" prefer having period poverty to accepting the incredibly well established idea of gender as distinct from sex

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Marmaduke! posted:

The hard evidence is often the dumbest part at least, like Hadley saying every living thing is male or female

It's such a stupid thing to say, when you can go out and just buy a plant easy, or look at that stick insect on the BBC that had a different sex on each side of It's body.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

#Eurostar was trending.

This is the reason why:
https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1495706455181254660

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

It’s a disagreement about covid testing funding between Javid and Sunak. Unless I get proven wrong, in which case: lol

Wait for the media ghouls to scrape twitter for everyone who posts “the queen sucked lol rest in piss” and get them fired. I’m going to be (omg) self-censoring in fear of being cancelled!!!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Man if that guy gets a criminal record for posting burn old boy burn on twitter about captain tom, just imagine the court backlog for when Brenda finally carks it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lmao.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Related, Caelan Conrad just dropped the first part of a huge deep dive confirming a lot of suspicions about how badly it is a horrific cult based on self-perpetuating disgust rather than an honest liberatory movement, which isn't an easy watch even though they content warning the worst parts.

Just finished watching this and it was good, albeit yes also horrible.

I feel like one thing that was gotten close to but not mentioned however was with the part where they talk about people wanting their fears to be allayed when encountering something they don't understand, and the seeming hypocrisy of talking about "learning" stuff while going on about gut instinct.

I think more generally that's just an example of a common cognitive shortcut that a lot of people do in a lot of situations. Specifically if you are uncertain about something, that uncertainty feels bad, you want it to stop feeling bad as soon as possible. You understand that the trite, consciously socially accepted response to lack of understanding is to "learn" more to feel better about it, but you don't necessarily understand what learning is because it isn't something you have done since school, plus it is heavily conflated with a resolution of the discomfort borne of ignorance.

Therefore, I think, it is much easier to simply do whatever it is that most immediately resolves the discomfort, call that "learning" and wrap it in the trappings of social acceptability, and apply it to every situation you encounter, and reinforcing your pre-exisitng prejudices via a laundering mechanism of social reification among your peer group and consuming affirming media is a faster, more comfortable route to allaying uncertainty, than is actual self examination.

It ties in well with the idea of "hammering the earth flat" that came up in the good folding ideas video, and more generally is just a behaviour I think happens very commonly, especially, speaking personally, in a parenting setting, and it is probably also comorbid with the general attitude that parents own their children and the purpose of a child is to facilitate the preferences of their parent.

A pretty unsurprising outgrowth of an older problem, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

stev posted:

It's the "normal" people or the very mildly well known who say something a bit thoughtless or ill conceived on Twitter that are at risk of having their lives ruined if it gets picked up by the wrong people or goes viral.
Or like the difference between Rowling having the odd protest a mile away from her mansion and people being mean on twitter while she still has a multi-billion media property and continues to have her articles and books published without question; and someone like Mike Sivier who lost his house because he pointed out that a countdown lady and an eastenders hasbeen harassed a teenager with anxiety on twitter, so they sued him for damaging their reputation by pointing out that they did the thing that they did.

But the press never talks about that kind of silencing, because then it relies on the possibility that the courts aren't fair, the moral arc of the universe does not always bend toward justice, and the grownups aren't in charge.

The funniest thing about pictures of Truss is that they're all shot in a way that would be impressive and full of gravitas if she were tall and serious, but she's loving tiny and always looking like she's on her way to an after school club. There's just something very 'wearing her mums shoes' about her.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 21, 2022