Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

stev posted:

What, some rando called Shmi gets to have an immaculate conception but Rey can't? Bullshit.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I swear I heard about the immaculate conception thing before and it does seem like something they wrote/shot TRoS around before someone went 'what the literal christ' and made them cut it.

Immaculate Conception refers to Mary being born without Original Sin. The Virgin Birth is the term for her spontaneous pregnancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I swear I heard about the immaculate conception thing before and it does seem like something they wrote/shot TRoS around before someone went 'what the literal christ' and made them cut it.

I remember some early rumors claiming that Kylo and Rey's hands touching in TLJ would've resulted in Rey being pregnant or having a child in 9, but that doesn't seem to be anything more than fans having the same kind of "keep the bloodline strong without all the icky sex stuff" ideas.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Robot Style posted:

I remember some early rumors claiming that Kylo and Rey's hands touching in TLJ would've resulted in Rey being pregnant or having a child in 9, but that doesn't seem to be anything more than fans having the same kind of "keep the bloodline strong without all the icky sex stuff" ideas.

I still LOL that they post-film had to make clear that no, Palpatine specifically DOES NOT gently caress and thet Rey's folks were failed clones or whatever. Like the dude's a corrupt galaxy-travelling senator of course he was blasting his seed into anything that moved 24/7

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 21, 2022

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Chemtrailologist posted:

Immaculate Conception refers to Mary being born without Original Sin. The Virgin Birth is the term for her spontaneous pregnancy.

Sorry father.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

(The overall-best Star Wars movies are Elysium and Mechanical Violator Hakaider).

I let this post go at the time, but thinking back on it...

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Chemtrailologist posted:

Ah yes, because at some point people said "wait, how could Jesus be free from sin if he was birthed by someone who still had original sin?" "Well, Mary obviously had no sin, because uh... this thing."

Pretty much about as silly as most of the plot points in TRoS.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Like a Eucharist crumb falling to the floor accidentally and being eaten by a rat, can the rat be said to have received communion and consumed the literal body of Christ?

I love all the tortured twists and turns that come with fielding 2000 years of furrowed brows at obvious bullshit to keep the grift going.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I was astounded when I found out that the doctrine of the immaculate conception was adopted in the 1850s

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah and the whole papal infallibility stupidness is related to that iirc

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

euphronius posted:

Yeah and the whole papal infallibility stupidness is related to that iirc

Same pope, different timeframe. The Immaculate Conception, though it had been discussed for literally centuries, was established as dogma in a letter published by Pius IX in 1854. Papal infallibility was one of the changes to dogma as a result of Vatican I, which began in 1869.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

The United States posted:

10 Years Ago: Lucas has the worst Star Wars ideas

2 Years Ago: Disney has the worst Star Wars ideas

Now: actually no, there is so much worse

https://twitter.com/DistantLaugh/status/1493423802063241218

I think this would be the thing that makes me divorce Star Wars if they ever follow through on it

Schwarzwald posted:

That 2nd pic looks like a prog metal album cover.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They are first ? cousins which makes it icky as well

I never do the cousin math right

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

euphronius posted:

They are first ? cousins which makes it icky as well

I never do the cousin math right

If you’re supposing that Palpatine is Anakin's father and is also the father of Rey's dad through a different mother, then Rey and Ben are half first cousins once removed. But if Rey's dad is an identical clone of Palpatine, then I suppose that genetically speaking, Rey is Ben's half great aunt (being a half-sibling of Anakin).

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Glottis posted:

Ah yes, because at some point people said "wait, how could Jesus be free from sin if he was birthed by someone who still had original sin?" "Well, Mary obviously had no sin, because uh... this thing."

Pretty much about as silly as most of the plot points in TRoS.

But... how could Mary be born free of sin if her parents still had original sin?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Zoran posted:

If you’re supposing that Palpatine is Anakin's father and is also the father of Rey's dad through a different mother, then Rey and Ben are half first cousins once removed. But if Rey's dad is an identical clone of Palpatine, then I suppose that genetically speaking, Rey is Ben's half great aunt (being a half-sibling of Anakin).

Jfc JJ/Terrio

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Grendels Dad posted:

But... how could Mary be born free of sin if her parents still had original sin?

check the Wikipedia article. It's a wild ride of nonsense, including the claim that all of Jesus' ancestors conceived without having sex.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Conception

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

duodenum posted:

Like a Eucharist crumb falling to the floor accidentally and being eaten by a rat, can the rat be said to have received communion and consumed the literal body of Christ?

For the last time, yes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a reason they call it Canon.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Someone should buy out the Catholic Church and declare all of the cruft Legends.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Any canon that doesn't include Santa bitch slapping Arius or St Christopher being a cynocephalus holds little sway with me

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I fell down a rabbit hole a few weeks ago reading about the Donation of Constantine, a bit of 8th-century fanfic trying to paper over the issue wherin the Pope at the time of both the Council of Nicaea and Constantine's conversion to Christianity doesn't seem to have been particularly interested in either.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

The United States posted:

10 Years Ago: Lucas has the worst Star Wars ideas

2 Years Ago: Disney has the worst Star Wars ideas

Now: actually no, there is so much worse

https://twitter.com/DistantLaugh/status/1493423802063241218

This reminds me of the Superman script that was apparently being considered several years ago wherein Superman would die, Lois would be pregnant with his kid, and she's eventually give birth to his reincarnation.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

That's Superman Reborn, which eventually morphed into the Tim Burton / Nicolas Cage / Kevin Smith project that never went anywhere.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Schwarzwald posted:

Hakaider is basically Darth Vader: The Movie and provides a far superior version of the Boba Fett show’s narrative.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Robot Style posted:

That's Superman Reborn, which eventually morphed into the Tim Burton / Nicolas Cage / Kevin Smith project that never went anywhere.

Sounds like it was super impotent.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

I still LOL that they post-film had to make clear that no, Palpatine specifically DOES NOT gently caress and thet Rey's folks were failed clones or whatever. Like the dude's a corrupt galaxy-travelling senator of course he was blasting his seed into anything that moved 24/7

You should read Dark Empire. Sheev had no dick or balls.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dark Empire is unironically a better Sequel Trilogy and shares way too many story beats with Rise of Skywalker for it to be a coincidence

Plus, the Knights of Ren Dark Acolytes actually get to do things, even if it's only for a few panels here and there

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There was a Dark Empire radio drama that was put out. And a comic. So if your standards are very low, there is kinda a fan-made Dark Empire movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_KGZCYhWJ0

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There was a Dark Empire and Dark Empire II audio drama.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I just found this. Some guy has made a Dark Empire animation using the audio drama voices. The animation style seems to be based on the Holiday Special Boba Fett short, so the faces are kind of weird. Once you get past that it's pretty impressive.

https://youtu.be/lADCO-Ar76U

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vinylshadow posted:

Dark Empire is unironically a better Sequel Trilogy and shares way too many story beats with Rise of Skywalker for it to be a coincidence

Plus, the Knights of Ren Dark Acolytes actually get to do things, even if it's only for a few panels here and there

I think it might actually be more concidental in that most of the overall story beats- a remnant turned Resurgent Empire, Palpatine somehow returning, and overall just rehashing the OT with both The Star Wars Kids and the old fuckers still hanging around- are probably the most obvious things to do for The Star Wars Sequel if you're a big hack.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Just like the sequels too, the third part of dark empire is extremely phoned in

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

BiggestBatman posted:

There is no third part to the Dark Empire duology

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
The Rise of Skywalker combined all the best parts of Dark Empire and The Glove of Darth Vader.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

duodenum posted:

I love all the tortured twists and turns that come with fielding 2000 years of furrowed brows at obvious bullshit to keep the grift going.

Yes. The rat received Holy Communion.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

FunkyAl posted:

Yes. The rat received Holy Communion.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nightmare Cinema posted:

That 2nd pic looks like a prog metal album cover.

Hakaider has some exceptional mattes.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/22949905/star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-hotel-interactive-disney-world-photos-price

Previews of the new Disney Star Wars hotel experience are coming in.

Sounds like an amazing experience if you’re willing to role play with the cast/staff and are huge into Star Wars, assuming the price is not a barrier. Otherwise stay far away.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 27, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Probably best to wait for reviews from folks who didn't get an all-expenses paid experience. I'd imagine it'll be a bit of a different experience when it's filled Star Wars-obsessed tourists who spent their life savings on a cramped, lightly-themed room. That and, you know, dozens and dozens of children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

BiggestBatman posted:

World Devastators are cool and at least the art continues to be really neat and different from all the other star wars comic art

http://everydayislikewednesday.blogspot.com/2020/05/re-reading-star-wars-dark-empire-in.html