Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
games with choices/consequences should just make every option really suck imo, players should suffer for their decisions no matter what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Imagine if there was no fight with Sephiroth, because that guy you beat at squats 30 hours ago kills him for standing in his way so he could have a rematch with you.

This would actually kind of rule :hmmyes:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Snooze Cruise posted:

games with choices/consequences should just make every option really suck imo, players should suffer for their decisions no matter what

i forgot who said it, but there often is a problem with games where choices turn into things like a) piss dude A off, b) piss dude Y off, c) grind out a ton of sidequests or EXP to raise a skill so neither A nor B gets pissed off

especially when the non-ideal solutions are frequently more interesting

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
please do not punch me

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
that's addressed to everyone

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

My cool dragon friend from hours ago came back and helped me. What a letdown

it's an extremely gamebook thing to do which matches the tone the games set pretty well, but it's a bummer it just kinda happens and you're not fighting alongside them or something

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
gently caress's sake. I feel like I'm talking in a whole other language or something.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

As I said I only find it a problem in like, 70-100 hour RPGs specifically, I gotta like a RPG a real lot to replay such a long playthrough.

It could also be that I'm old, kid-me had over 1000 hours on Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban for the GBA, a game you can easily 100% in 2 playthroughs.

I never managed to get all the collectors cards even though I stopped playing the game at like level 87 or something by the time I stopped looping it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

This but with the caveat that doing nothing makes things even worse.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

gently caress's sake. I feel like I'm talking in a whole other language or something.

Because you didn't collect all missable 26 language primers, guess you need to start over.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if you hate time limits, and want to play a game with time limits, you have two real options - a) try to challenge your preconceptions and see if you can find the enjoyable aspect of time pressure, or b) don't play games with time pressure*

i mean, everyone has tastes and neither option is more valid than the other - i don't play a lot of games because i'm wired the wrong way to enjoy them (like RTSes) but deliberately going out of your comfort zone can be rewarding. i've definitely had fun times with games and mechanics that i was sure i innately disliked!

*or c) play the game and complain constantly online

Or d) figure out how to mod out the time limit, play the game normally with the confidence that it's a paper tiger.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Snooze Cruise posted:

i am willing to punch everyone in this thread, it will increase my unarmed stat

Snooze Cruise posted:

Hell yeah fellow SaGa lover I can get behind this

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
they should invent a cure for time limit anxiety so they can put them back into atelier

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

RareAcumen posted:

I never managed to get all the collectors cards even though I stopped playing the game at like level 87 or something by the time I stopped looping it.

Oh, the game cheats on that one, I'm sure some are exclusive to the random pack at the shop since the first 2 of every card combo are consumable. Otherwise going through every split gives you the non consumable ones.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

they should invent a cure for time limit anxiety so they can put them back into atelier

This but also so they can resurrect Dead Rising and make it good again as well (it's got levels and you play the role of grizzled war reporter Frank West or extreme sports enthusiast Chuck Greene in the sequel)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

time limit but when it runs out all your friends give you a surprise party with cake and a fishing minigame

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Time limits but every new loop brings an even worse apocalypse.

First run through? The zombies break through the barrier and overrun the city. Second time? The cyborg uprising. Then aliens invade. The mole people rise from their tunnels deep within the Earth. A portal to Hell is opened. You are framed for having killed John Wick's dog. Vampires attack.

Basically every possible escalation of stakes in an EDF game.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Oh, the game cheats on that one, I'm sure some are exclusive to the random pack at the shop since the first 2 of every card combo are consumable. Otherwise going through every split gives you the non consumable ones.

That explains a lot! I remember there being 2-5 cards I could never get a hold of.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

This but also so they can resurrect Dead Rising and make it good again as well (it's got levels and you play the role of grizzled war reporter Frank West or extreme sports enthusiast Chuck Greene in the sequel)

i would simply play Dead Rising 1 again, because that game is a GOTY

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the most interesting srpg demo i played in this steam next fest is the one made in rpgmaker
it also has the shortest demo lol

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Speaking of hyperspecific game frustrations, it annoys me that so many move slots in SMTV are locked on fusion, because I'm that one person who really enjoys chain-fusing a custom moveset onto everything I use.

yes I know there's a miracle to fix that, but I understand it's route-locked and I'm not sure I love SMTV enough to play it more than once

'just use essences' yes I know but what if I can't get another of those essences?????

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man small saga is cute as hell

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

somewhat disappointed that the name of the game you're talking about isn't actually "man small saga"

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

If the end of this game isn’t your rag tag party of mice icing a grocery store full of people ala sausage party the developers have failed

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

DrManiac posted:

Man small saga is cute as hell

I'm super excited for Small Saga to come out. It looks super charming, and I just love the concept of discarded human stuff being treated as powerful ancient artifacts.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Arzaac posted:

I'm super excited for Small Saga to come out. It looks super charming, and I just love the concept of discarded human stuff being treated as powerful ancient artifacts.

I've never heard of this but man it looks super charming yeah, adding it to my list for sure

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

the most interesting srpg demo i played in this steam next fest is the one made in rpgmaker
it also has the shortest demo lol
symphony of war? i didn't even touch the demo yet but that does look really cool yeah (also i saw the word "support" in the menus and it's clearly going for something of a fire emblem which is exciting to me)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Amppelix posted:

symphony of war? i didn't even touch the demo yet but that does look really cool yeah (also i saw the word "support" in the menus and it's clearly going for something of a fire emblem which is exciting to me)

yep that one, lot of neat looking unit variety

it inexplicably has a giantess for some reason

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i briefly saw that in the scrolling screenshots and had to immediately go to the page to see if i didn't just imagine that

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Snooze Cruise posted:

I already played Mass Effect Andromeda

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Amppelix posted:

It looks like Symphony of War is Fire Emblem with Ogre Battle:MOTBQ squads (and upgrade paths) instead of single units and I am 100% down for that.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Amppelix posted:

somewhat disappointed that the name of the game you're talking about isn't actually "man small saga"

I'm disappointed that it isn't mall saga

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

It looks like Symphony of War is Fire Emblem with Ogre Battle:MOTBQ squads
soul nomad.......

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Jack Trades posted:

What I don't understand is, it's not actually a difficulty thing most of the time. I played a bunch of JRPGers and I can't think of any one where MP being a limited resources actually made the game more difficult.
Because at least all of the games I've played and remember, you can just avoid all the encounters, once you run out of resources, and backtrack to refill them. It doesn't make you think about resource conservation, it just adds more tedium.

exquisite tea posted:

Back in ye olden times something like “casting a fireball” was seen as truly special and remarkable so you could only do it a couple times a dungeon, lest you perish from the awesomeness.
There's a podcast LP of FF1 that will give you a pretty good taste for what the grinding attrition based difficulty was used for back when it first got implemented, before we moved away from most of those systems in various incremental steps.

https://noonecanknowaboutthis.podbean.com/page/16/
https://noonecanknowaboutthis.podbean.com/e/episode-1-an-unexamined-life/

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i hop on the symphony of war discord and they said they will have same sex options for the romance supports as well, so between that and the demo i guess i will keep my eye on this one

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
fire emblem + ogre battle.... yes yes YES

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Snooze Cruise posted:

i hop on the symphony of war discord and they said they will have same sex options for the romance supports as well, so between that and the demo i guess i will keep my eye on this one

god, maybe i'm just a sucker but i'm immediately more interested in a game if there's gays

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Arzaac posted:

god, maybe i'm just a sucker but i'm immediately more interested in a game if there's gays

hell yeah brother

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

On one hand, being interested in a game just for the gay feels superficial.

On the other hand let me date the hot guys please.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 22, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Arzaac posted:

i wouldn't get too excited since from the bit of stuff we got in the demo the writing nothing to write home about lmao, but for sure its nice to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

soul nomad.......

I don't remember Omikron having srpg segments