Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lol

Yudo
May 15, 2003

MLSM posted:

How else would they stop Ukraine from joining nato genius

Russia does not need to Invade Ukraine to stop it from joining NATO.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
that made me think of hte joke earlier about Kramer calling a bunch of hecklers "Nato"

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

and everybody advising Zelensky knew this and then encouraged him to terminate diplomatic talks anyways.

listen some times you gotta be a fuckin' alpha dog, alright

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

:elongate:

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

so where is Zelensky in all of this? not in Poland yet?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

How much of setting The Ukraine up to take the fall here was malice and how much was hubris?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lmao

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

pancake rabbit posted:

i've been in work meetings all morning and am very late to this but what is the strategic value in capturing what is arguably the most blighted unusable land on the face of the earth

not a rhetorical question i think i'm just dumb, is putin really trying to get an "i'll demolish the sarcophagus and turn all of continental europe into an irradiated wasteland" ace up his sleeve?

e: or is it because he thinks ukraine/nato would do something stupid with it, which honestly is much more believable

its not a blasted wasteland. its just a place.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V2sBURgUBI

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Yudo posted:

No it just needed Ukraine to sign Minsk II, and they refused.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Frosted Flake posted:

How much of setting The Ukraine up to take the fall here was malice and how much was hubris?

I do kinda wonder how much the US positively wanted Russia to get bogged down in a bloody counterinsurgency

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

lmfao

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Cursed content

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frosted Flake posted:

It was not “on track”.

Christ, I know people don’t understand military postures but quickly -

Mobilizing, Concentrating and Working Up forces during diplomatic talks is a signal the talks are not proceeding. The build up was in response to being stonewalled.

The reason we believed there would be no invasion was that the “ask” (sign Minsk II) was so small relative the potential “cost” (Ukraine obliterated) that we thought it would be insane to further stall.

When you back someone into a corner, ignore their attempts to talk it out, they square up, you continue to ignore them, you say “we’re done here. What are you going to do, hit me?”

Sometimes they hit you.

:same:

it’s not right or justified but yeah gently caress around often enough and sooner or later you’ll find out if you keep backing your enemies into a corner. america, as usual, tossed their allies into the line of fire so it’s ukraine getting hosed up for their mistakes.

america learned all the wrong lessons from their success in the 80s against the soviets: “threaten the russians hard, encircle them (china, afghanistan), and just keep the pressure up, and they’ll back down. heh, cowardly russians.”

turns out that poo poo doesn’t work when you’re a shadow of your former glory and russia isn’t a giant conglomeration of competing national interests

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yudo posted:

Literally only way they could do it when all other diplomatic options were basically cut off.

Ukraine literally has it in its constitution that they MUST join NATO at any cost. So of course any resolution that would guarantee peace but prevent them from joining NATO was off the table.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

thanks for the answers re: chernobyl, makes sense

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

its not a blasted wasteland. its just a place.

yeah this was a bad call on my part, i've watched enough "EXPLORING THE EXCLUSION ZONE (YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT WE FOUND!!11)" videos on youtube to know better

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

wynott dunn posted:

saw a ghoul earlier talking about russia invading the danzig corridor to connect with kaliningrad

they can’t help but frame this as a marvel movie - a plucky group of multi-billionaires just need to abuse the mentally ill to stop Vladimir Thanos

lmao the gydansk corridor hasn't existed in 70 years

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I do kinda wonder how much the US positively wanted Russia to get bogged down in a bloody counterinsurgency

Given that everyone in the government and media wouldn't shut the gently caress up about it, I'd say a lot.

They're still hoping this turns into Afghanistan 2.0 (3.0?) for the Russians, we'll see how far that goes.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

pancake rabbit posted:

i've been in work meetings all morning and am very late to this but what is the strategic value in capturing what is arguably the most blighted unusable land on the face of the earth

not a rhetorical question i think i'm just dumb, is putin really trying to get an "i'll demolish the sarcophagus and turn all of continental europe into an irradiated wasteland" ace up his sleeve?

e: or is it because he thinks ukraine/nato would do something stupid with it, which honestly is much more believable

the exclusion zone as depicted in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series is not real

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jesus christ it’s literally afghanistan all over again lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

StashAugustine posted:

I wish somebody had told Zelensky that his country was intended to recreate Come and See to make Biden look tough and weaken Russia.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin (muttering): Jesus Christ

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

No it just needed Ukraine to sign Minsk II, and they refused.

Not even that is necessary.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

pancake rabbit posted:

He who controls the anomalies controls the artifacts, OP

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

belching a mouth full of Cheetos while waiting for a raid in FF14

“PUTIN HAS GONE TOO FAR aGAINST THE WEST”

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ukanda forever

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

I feel like this is a gimmick account and it's cheating but you never know nowadays.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1496901116017135617

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

vyelkin posted:

honest question, which other countries do you think are going to join NATO after this?

This is NATO's current membership:

there are a whole three countries in Europe that border Russia and are not already members of NATO: Finland, the country that Russia wants its neighbours to emulate ("Finlandization" is a term that was used for one potential end state for Ukraine); Belarus, Russia's closest ally and client state; and Ukraine.

who else is going to join? Moldova, which already has part of the country occupied by Russia? Georgia, which already has part of the country occupied by Russia and which already lost a war to Russia over this in 2008? Armenia, a Russian ally that hates NATO member Turkey? NATO has made it clear that they're not going to support non-NATO members against Russia and they're not going to let in countries that have existing territorial disputes with Russia, and Russia has now made it clear that overtures to NATO can be catastrophic.

Russia isn't surrounded by some infinite number of foreign countries that will decide to join NATO after this. Ukraine is by far the biggest, strongest, and most populous of Russia's European neighbours. Given that NATO already covers almost the entire continent, it should be comprehensible why Russia wants to draw a line in the sand here - there isn't much more for them to lose on the issue of NATO expansion.

Finland actually. There are indications from high level gov officials that their current position is being reevaluated due to the Ukraine situation

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

brugroffil posted:

Weird how many countries have joined NATO and yet there has never been an attack on Russia. I guess "immediate" means "may decide to turn aggressive at some indeterminate point in the future and invade a nuclear power for ???"

okay so it’s fine if russia forms an offensive military alliance with canada mexico venezuela and cuba, right

that should be fine, the alliance hasn’t attacked yet

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao they're going to join england in getting 0 votes

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Yudo posted:

How much of a guarantee did they think they would have short of an invasion, I guess. The West certainly wouldn't provide one diplomatically.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Ideal stupid situation: Kyiv gets fully captured by russia within the next 24 hours, Louis goes on and makes some jokes about the situation, gets arrested by Russian MPs, and becomes the political prisoner that starts WW3

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

ahahahahahahahahaha

Frosted Flake posted:

i would guess almost entirely hubris, the insurgency fantasies read way too much like the wishing and praying after georgia in 08 to be part of a larger plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Fly Molo posted:

okay so it’s fine if russia forms an offensive military alliance with canada mexico venezuela and cuba, right

that should be fine, the alliance hasn’t attacked yet

The United States would not be justified in invading those countries in response.