Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah, it's very clear that they're context switching on the go. We had supposed package confirmed by 3am Europe this night, with "nuclear options" clearly off the table, and now we've gone through like 2-3 new sanctions versions today, and now everything nuclear, sans crude oil, is on the table, including direct Putin sanctions and SWIFT blockade.

The danish PM just said that personal sanctions against Putin had been approved on the NATO meeting earlier today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

VorpalBunny posted:

I think for a lot of us it's helplessness. How can we help? I do my piddling part here in the States, donating money/resources and volunteering for Get Out The Vote stuff, but it really feels so useless in the face of a handful of insane fuckers who ruin the world for everyone. I think the stories of everyday folks standing up to invaders helps morale around the world, even if it's more myth than truth.

To be clear I (maybe we, I dunno) aren't calling out people in the States for not dropping everything and going to Ukraine to fight. I/we are saying its pretty drat bullshit that people are basically saying they should give up and there's nothing worth dying for.

But I dunno my family dealt with slavery, political purges, and the holocaust so I'm probably pretty biased on the whole thing.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

While Putin calls for "denazification" he also claims that Ukraine is being controlled by "the West" and that he wants to purge "undesirables", which are making alarm bells go off in my head. Whenever there's a war in Europe the local Jewish communities suffer some of the worst damage.

There was also Lavrov going off about how Ukrainian government is enemies of Slavicness and Orthodoxy.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/EJ_Burrows/status/1497252061678813187?t=EBPvHNOPOrryzDdtNAMEjQ&s=19

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Hungarian state media started to "analyze" the war on state TV tonight. Some fun bullet points:
- Ukraine started the war
- Zelenskyy compared to Hitler (arming women and children)
- Russian soldiers are calm and professional
- Ukraine tried to start World War 3 by asking Turkey to close the Bosphorus
- Russian troops captured Chernobyl so that it wont get attacked

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ynglaur posted:

I don't think it's about optics. I think he's actually just a brave person.

My family in Ukraine are mostly Russian nationalist types and even they all voted for him because they genuinely think he's a fair minded patriot who gives a poo poo about Ukraine and won't just cut and run after robbing the country blind. He got nearly 75% of the vote so it's insanely unbelievable propaganda that Putin is saying he's some unpopular western-appointed puppet (who is also a jewish nazi drug addict)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

mdemone posted:

something fucky is going on here.

Wonder how long this attacking of ships on the Black Sea will go on. Or be allowed to go on.

The only thing I can think of is to provoke a response from a country with a navy - but to what end? US/UK/France are all NATO allies with significant naval assets and could ostensibly do it, but is Putin really trying to draw NATO into a war so he can claim he was attacked first? I don't see the logic there.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I absolutely would not have considered putin crazy before the Russian language speaker analysis of his advisor meetings and pre-invasion speeches.

But, here we are. guess even dictators previously renowned for "canniness" can just turn up with advanced cases of boomer fox news brain.

"Putin's crazy" might be a subjective judgment but one way or another there's substantial evidence that this war was not rationally pursued and you can't predicate future Russian actions based on rational choices. If you could, we wouldn't be here.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The cemetaries are full of people with individual agency who probably felt much the same way in their time. I simply do not believe in the idea that a heroic death is commendable, you're just dead either way. I'm sorry, I do not think I can ever think otherwise, I would rather they were still alive to live in that land. I've seen far too many people rationalize their deaths as meaningful, and in the end they are all just dead.

If anything "You're just dead either way" seems more of a reason for people to die choosing to do something they believe will have positive consequences rather than hanging around until random chance or old age kicks them off. I have no idea what I would do in that situation, just that the inevitablility of death doesn't seem much of a counter-argument.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

and now everything nuclear, sans crude oil, is on the table, including direct Putin sanctions and SWIFT blockade.
What do you mean?

Edit: And yeah I'm guessing gigantic sanctions from international shipping countries are to result from Russia sinking all cargo enroute to Ukraine.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 25, 2022

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Shooting Blanks posted:

The only thing I can think of is to provoke a response from a country with a navy - but to what end? US/UK/France are all NATO allies with significant naval assets and could ostensibly do it, but is Putin really trying to draw NATO into a war so he can claim he was attacked first? I don't see the logic there.
You might have to let go of the idea that Putin is a rational actor at this point

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Shooting Blanks posted:

Its still ongoing and his bluff hasn't been called, but I imagine he is making it clear that shipping in the area needs to cease.

If his bluff gets called and people go "No, gently caress you" then he can just apologize or whatever because people don't want to get drawn in if they don't have to and I doubt they will do so if he backs off immediately.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah at this point the whole "why do anything if death is possible" seems to question the whole human condition in some weird way.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Shooting Blanks posted:

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if NATO sends some ships through at some point soon now as a FON activity.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Hungarian state media started to "analyze" the war on state TV tonight. Some fun bullet points:

As someone mostly descended from fairly recent Hungarian stock I can safely say that Hungarians are some of the most politically deranged and unpleasant people in all of Europe. An entire nation where qannon level thought is the majority. Brutally racist and antiemetic, a nazi-level hatred of refugees. They'd have every roma in a death camp if the EU wasn't watching. A deeply unpleasant people. The moment a hungarian begins giving an opinion on any topic, be prepared for a mix of the most vile poo poo you've ever heard but also the most insane poo poo you've ever heard.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Mokotow posted:

At the border now between Poland and Ukraine. Absolute mess, cold, terrified people coming through every once in a while. Since there’s no organization, me and some likeminded people waiting but despite the government announcements people will be free to go through, only cars are coming. I already have contacts to someone on the other side but they’re saying it’ll be two hours for them to cross. gently caress its cold.

Are you in Medyka? I want to go help next week as well.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

TheRat posted:

NATO is not going to protect panama-regged ships in the black sea dude.

With shipping companies flagging and paying no taxes for decades in countries with no labor or environmental laws, I can't really pity the shipowners. I feel pity for the crews, though. I agree that NATO is unlikely to do more than tut-tut if these are close to Ukraine's shore, but if Russia starts going further afield things could escalate very quickly.

Mokotow posted:

At the border now between Poland and Ukraine. Absolute mess, cold, terrified people coming through every once in a while. Since there’s no organization, me and some likeminded people waiting but despite the government announcements people will be free to go through, only cars are coming. I already have contacts to someone on the other side but they’re saying it’ll be two hours for them to cross. gently caress its cold.

Do you have a Paypal wallet you'd be willing to PM me? I can't do much but I can buy you and a couple refugees a hot meal, at least.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah at this point the whole "why do anything if death is possible" seems to question the whole human condition in some weird way.

I'm going to guess anyone who thinks that way probably isn't living through a situation where their country is being invaded by a major world power and facing a real rather than metaphorical existential crisis.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Glimm posted:

I'm not sure when this was made or exactly where it is but the background isn't super generic:

https://twitter.com/MisterFed/status/1497255140151238659

This is stone cold bad rear end, and grade-A propaganda. It should be played around the world.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Grouchio posted:

What do you mean?

Edit: And yeah I'm guessing gigantic sanctions from international shipping countries are to result from Russia sinking all cargo enroute to Ukraine.

'Nuclear' in the colloquial sense, not the literal one.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah, it's very clear that they're context switching on the go. We had supposed package confirmed by 3am Europe this night, with "nuclear options" clearly off the table, and now we've gone through like 2-3 new sanctions versions today, and now everything nuclear, sans crude oil, is on the table, including direct Putin sanctions and SWIFT blockade.

It's like they realized Crimea wasn't a one-off, maybe we should have been more discouraging about that. And somebody gave Germany an earful.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Putin can be a rational actor and be working off a calculus that is wildly out of kilter with reality (or with a value system that is different to ours).

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

ZombieLenin posted:

New York Times is now reporting Russian forces offensive momentum has been ground to a halt in Ukraine, but warns Russia has reserve forces and could commit them.

How much of this is Ukrainian military success, how much of this is Russia slowing as peace talks begin?

karasu
Jan 3, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Can you or whoever brought it up source the fact that SWIFT is on the table, in particular Germany's apprehension weakening?

Just listened to an interview of foreign minister Annalena Baerbock mentioning SWIFT sanctions would have unintended consequences, the example she quoted was "what about hypothetical Russian parents supporting their daughter studying in Europe with a monthly allowance". That justification will surely go over well...

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1497270216191000588

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1497270216191000588?s=20&t=x6ljPAKHO7qYtl499rMaZQ

I also found out that my family in Chernihiv has been taking in orphans to care for them.
My host mom told her daughter to stop spamming her because she's too busy making food to answer her messages.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

karasu posted:

Can you or whoever brought it up source the fact that SWIFT is on the table, in particular Germany's apprehension weakening?

Just listened to an interview of foreign minister Annalena Baerbock mentioning SWIFT sanctions would have unintended consequences, the example she quoted was "what about hypothetical Russian parents supporting their daughter studying in Europe with a monthly allowance". That justification will surely go over well...

I don't have an article, but in context it sounds like Germany is "exploring the consequences" of a Russian expulsion from SWIFT.

Italy, the other holdout, is now telling Ukraine that it will also support SWIFT expulsion:
https://twitter.com/DmytroKuleba/status/1497267568461205509

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Trump posted:

The danish PM just said that personal sanctions against Putin had been approved on the NATO meeting earlier today.

Looking at updates from NATO meeting posted to the previous page, I think we can make an educated guess on what’s happening and why sanctions confirmation for this afternoon got delayed.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Putin can be a rational actor and be working off a calculus that is wildly out of kilter with reality (or with a value system that is different to ours).

Yeah, being rational doesn't mean you subscribe to the same set of morals as most of us do. You can be a perfectly rational evil motherfucker.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Zero_Grade posted:

Wait, you're saying the Irish have strong feelings about a larger nation invading their smaller neighbor to the west? I find this hard to swallow.

It's very much this, but also, over the last 20 or so years there has been a lot of immigration of people from Central and Eastern Europe into Ireland, so seeing Ukraine being attacked like this feels very personal - we're seeing the relatives and old homes of people who are now our neighbours and colleagues and friends being attacked and destroyed. It's loving brutal :(

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Shes Not Impressed posted:

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1497270216191000588?s=20&t=x6ljPAKHO7qYtl499rMaZQ

I also found out that my family in Chernihiv has been taking in orphans to care for them.
My host mom told her daughter to stop spamming her because she's too busy making food to answer her messages.

Let her know she's a hero if you haven't already. I can't think of a better thing for her to be doing.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Mokotow posted:

Seconding the paypal/bank details request. Can't promise much, but hopefully it'll be enough to cover the fuel costs at least.

nurmie fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 25, 2022

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

nurmie posted:

Seconding the paypal/bank details request.

thirding this

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
For those who want it or those who donated to the relief thread, we are working on a gangtag by goon Loden Taylor

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

How are u posted:

I think some folks just have a hard time imagining that anything is worth dying for.

Nothing is worth dying for. There are a million things worth living for, but I am a bit weirded out by how many people seem so blasé about their own and other people's lives.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Don’t think Orban will be able to double-seat his gas discount here.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 25, 2022

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Heh, yeah! I'm sure Putin is super embarrassed and we would have stomped those ukrainians by now...

We also would not attack a country with an army close to the strength of Ukraine. We only pick on countries that can't really fight back. That said, i'm not sure how continually bringing in how the US would have fared does anyone any good, and is a really grim way to discuss a war where poor people on both sides are dying for seemingly no reason.

Seriously... the take I'm getting from all this isn't that Russia sucks at war in particular, it's that all so-called superpowers are far more flimsy than the media would have you believe. I would be worried that this will go to show that conventional warfare is still viable, even against nuclear powers

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Josef bugman posted:

Nothing is worth dying for. There are a million things worth living for, but I am a bit weirded out by how many people seem so blasé about their own and other people's lives.

Yeah human history disagrees. There is plenty of things worth dying for, is this worth dying for? I don't know, that's a personal decision.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

You know how growing up you had maybe a friendship with this one guy, and it went way back? Like probably knew the dude since fourth grade and all throughout adolescence? Some close poo poo. You know who his first crush was, you maybe got drunk on a stolen fridge beer together, real close stuff.

But like at some point probably around college, you just kind of realize you're starting to outgrow him? Like you're getting your first job, steady girlfriend, maybe you don't know what you will do for career but you have some exciting ideas to pursue.
Meanwhile your friend is hanging out in high school parking lots hitting on underage girls, he's maybe picked up a bit of a meth habit, has a really grody rear end neckbeard,and he basically perpetually smells like cigarettes and heineken.

Bonds go deep, but like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Josef bugman posted:

Nothing is worth dying for.

This is not a very common opinion, at all. And you seem to be surprised to be discovering that right now.