Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Do you have a source for this claim?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerhard_Schr%C3%B6der

Chancellor from 1998 to 2005, retired to Chair the board of Nord Stream and Rosneft. That's the most egregious example but there are a bunch of other similar bungs that have been thrown for good service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Peanut Butler posted:

the US is still involved in Somalia, Yemen, Syria

I was simplifying for the sake of an obvious joke, not every one sentence throway has to be critiqued.

But still this is incorrect, while true those are not actual wars in the American public's consiousness.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The weird thing is them calling attention to it themselves? What's 5 thousand helmets to Ukraine, one of successors to a country that maintained the largest standing army in peace time in history. I'm sure they have enough helmets lying around.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Upgrade posted:

Can someone explain the German helmet thing to me? Is that real? It feels like a joke. What is wrong with Germany?

1) Germany is extremely pacifist, to the point of not being willing to defend itself or other countries militarily under any circumstances (plus its military is in complete disrepair),
2) Germany is dependent on Russia for its energy supply and would be inconvenienced by getting cut off from it, so it doesn't dare do much that would make Russia angry,
3) Major parts of the German population see Russia as its natural ally.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

I don't think that is true at all.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Xibanya posted:

They speak Romanian in Moldova, but they’re ethnically Slavs and use Cyrillic.

What definition of ethnicity are you going off of exactly?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

cinci zoo sniper posted:

While I will continue to take pot shots at Germany for many reasons, they also sent Ukraine at least one fully equipped field hospital.

I was not aware of that. Good for you, Germany, you weren't completely useless.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

1) Germany is extremely pacifist, to the point of not being willing to defend itself or other countries militarily under any circumstances (plus its military is in complete disrepair),
2) Germany is dependent on Russia for its energy supply and would be inconvenienced by getting cut off from it, so it doesn't dare do much that would make Russia angry,

Germany's army has its issues, but its well equipped and trained, I wouldn't say its in complete disrepair.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

Ukraine command says they shot down IL-76

Thats could be about 140 soldiers on board

https://twitter.com/GeneralStaffUA/status/1497344479094792195?t=wB8_qPWnyJv8gR6rIMa9ZQ&s=19

Having a hard time swallowing this one. Is it not irresponsible of Russian military leadership at this point to send in a plane of that size into a highly contested area with known AA?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Can someone explain to me what the purpose of this NATO taskforce is?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I was not aware of that. Good for you, Germany, you weren't completely useless.

https://news.err.ee/1608493113/estonia-germany-hand-ukraine-keys-to-new-military-field-hospital

I didn't actually know that Estonians were co-funding it, but that's the one.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Upgrade posted:

Can someone explain the German helmet thing to me? Is that real? It feels like a joke. What is wrong with Germany?

Germany is completely reliant on russian gas to power its economy.

Germany has almost no actual military because of bad WW2 memories and just being lazy since the americans will take care of any actual problems.

Its a combination of not wanting to piss of russia and the legitimately being a huge donation in the context of germany's military capabilities.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Randarkman posted:

The weird thing is them calling attention to it themselves? What's 5 thousand helmets to Ukraine, one of successors to a country that maintained the largest standing army in peace time in history. I'm sure they have enough helmets lying around.

In all fairness they're probably newer and better helmets than any Soviet surplus ones Ukraine has lying around. The newest possible Soviet-made equipment of any sort is over 30 years old now.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Grape posted:

skull measurements. i have my calipers here somewhere....

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Boat Stuck posted:

I still can't believe I'm seeing the new Cold War turn hot before my eyes.

I mean... this is just how the Cold War was. Hot wars aplenty, just never with the two main players directly fighting.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grouchio posted:

To calm down government officials of Baltics, Poland, and Romania, if you're asking about the current deployment.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/GeneralStaffUA/status/1497344479094792195?t=wB8_qPWnyJv8gR6rIMa9ZQ&s=19

Why are the Russians sending in unarmed transport planes so close to the front lines?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Grape posted:

Well if they’re not Slavs I stand corrected. They’re definitely not Romanians though, they look totally different (Moldovans have fair hair and eyes, Romanians look a lot like Italians.)

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

dominoeffect posted:

Having a hard time swallowing this one. Is it not irresponsible of Russian military leadership at this point to send in a plane of that size into a highly contested area with known AA?

They are using only 60 of 110 available battalions and are sending in more planes to wrap this up as fast as possible

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Baronjutter posted:

Just open the borders you EU ghouls. gently caress documentation and due immigration process.

they have been. poland and other are full open border to ukranians.

dominoeffect posted:

since when has putin cared about the lives of his soldiers.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Grape posted:

I mean... this is just how the Cold War was. Hot wars aplenty, just never with the two main players directly fighting.

Russia is a main player and is fighting in this one, however.

In some ways it reminds me a small bit of Vietnam, which was a similar thing but on the opposite side.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Vox Nihili posted:

It's both real and a joke in that it's hilarious.

The German constitution forbids Germany from supplying lethal military aid, so they’re sending helmets.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Grouchio posted:

Look like they're doing something besides just talking and sanctioning, and try to reinforce the point that things will escalate quickly if Russia goes into Romania or Poland or something.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Mokotow posted:

More busses rolling into the crossing, more people now coming in. There’s police and fire service to ferry folks to a nearby reception center, but from what I heard everything here is saturated. Also constantly someone like me offering to carry people to Warsaw. I think unless poo poo comes down, this place will be overwhelmed by tomorrow .

Donated a little something a bit earlier, please feel free to redistribute/pass on to refugees as you see fit if it's not needed anymore to cover food/gas.

also, putin is a oval office

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

CommieGIR posted:

Germany's army has its issues, but its well equipped and trained, I wouldn't say its in complete disrepair.

The German army is “more or less powerless” and can offer only limited support to allies as the North Atlantic Treaty Organization ramps up support for its eastern members following Russia’s attack on Ukraine, Germany’s top army commander said Thursday.

“I wouldn’t have believed that after 41 year of service in peacetime I would have to experience another war,” Lt. Gen. Alfons Mais said in a statement posted on his LinkedIn profile. “And the armed forces that I lead are more or less powerless.”

The U.S. and other allies have long criticized Germany for underspending on defense in the past decade as the country sought to balance the state’s budget while simultaneously ramping up welfare spending.

“We all saw it coming, but we were not able to assert ourselves, to learn and prepare after the aggression on Crimea,” he added.

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/russia-ukraine-latest-news/card/GEeWInyxRr9X7WeQpYN8

I'm sure some German goons here can also chime in, but I thought the running joke in Germany has long been that the Polish army could defeat the German army.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Budzilla posted:

Why are the Russians sending in unarmed transport planes so close to the front lines?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFhjNaHcmag

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Budzilla posted:

At this point its happened so many times I feel it's just an unwillingness to learn

Like they still don't seem to have air superiority and are still doing this?

You have a clear land route in what the gently caress are you doing?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Worth noting that large transports like that are especially easy to shoot down, as they are often slow and low. You don't need any special SAMs. This is party of why, even when US had air superiority, taking off from places like Bagram and Iraqi airfields, US transports did 'combat takeoffs' where they rapidly ascended to get out of range of small arms.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Also, you're making too big of a deal over Cyrillic. The Soviet Union basically made everyone use Cyrillic.
(Well, not the Poles, but that would be an improvement, so I see why they won't do that).

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

nurmie posted:

Donated a little something a bit earlier, please feel free to redistribute/pass on to refugees as you see fit if it's not needed anymore to cover food/gas.

also, putin is a oval office

Could we get a repost of his donation link? And are there any other individuals that could use some help too?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Grape posted:

Come again?

Romanian is a Romance language not a Slavic one

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
if one kid decided to pick a fight with another at lunchtime by punching them in the back of the head, NATO are the kids that make a ring around the "fight" and the UN are those kids that prevent anyone else from jumping in.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

fatherboxx posted:

loving murderous monsters. Sending kids to a sensless death. My heart hurts for their mothers and fathers. They are straight up taking desperate as gently caress risks this early. What loving newbs... who ever ordered that plane in... Lord have mercy.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Viktor is a fuckin oval office and said he will continue to trade with Russia of course, because we took shitloads of money from them, and they are building our new nuclear power plant as well. Elections here in April, I wonder how much this poo poo will hurt him. Currently they keep saying that the opposition here wants to send troops to Ukraine, but Orban and his government wont be dragged into the conflict because they value the safety of the Hungarian people above all else.

To say something positive about Hungary, our Help Ukraine facebook group is already at 50k members, and its heartwarming to see how many people offer to take in refugees to their homes or help with cars to get people coming through to places they can warm up or wait for pickup by relatives or simply drive them to cities. We had universities open their dorms for refugees as well. (Even Vodafone Hungary came and made calls between Hungary and Ukraine free of charge.)

Lmao why are the mods so sensitive around the word oval office but not about the nonces within their ranks

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

Could we get a repost of his donation link? And are there any other individuals that could use some help too?

Mokotow posted:

For any one willing to chip in gas money, you can paypal me @kylofon . Don’t need much but it’d help. Thanks!

Just learned the two girls Im waiting for are 12 and 15 and also there’s a cat. Still waiting though, apparently their mom will hand them off and shes going back to the dad waiting on the other side.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

I've added you to the list, its done.

I'd love to get one as well.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Fame Douglas posted:

Please don't spread weird fake news. And protecting NS2 against US sanctions made sense. NS2 not being active also didn't save Ukraine from invasion, I don't get the point of still making this failed argument against NS2.

A lot of major German politicians have come out in full support of Russia and Putin over the years.

Revered former chancellor Helmut Schmidt put this gem on the record: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ex-german-chancellor-warns-of-overreaction-to-ukraine-2014-03-28

"Schmidt said Putin’s action in Crimea was “fully understandable.”
"The former chancellor noted that while Ukraine is certainly an independent state, historians still debate whether Ukraine is actually a distinct nation."

Then there's Schroeder.

But sure, it's all "weird fake news".

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

CommieGIR posted:

For those who want it or those who donated to the relief thread, we are working on a gangtag by goon Loden Taylor

want it

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I mean historically Russia has been quite happy to fight wars by throwing enough men into the meat grinder to get the job done so it's not exactly unsurprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

In all fairness they're probably newer and better helmets than any Soviet surplus ones Ukraine has lying around. The newest possible Soviet-made equipment of any sort is over 30 years old now.

Small equipment in Ukrainian army dates back at most to 2014, with the exception of ageless stuff like Kalashnikovs. They were rebuilding their army from 0 in 2014, and all they had is pile of armoured vehicles and AKs.