Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Rusty's Real Deal Baseball satisfies the part of me that enjoys the baseball minigame in the Yakuza series. Thanks to this thread for mentioning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

drat, just noticed my 3DS' battery was starting to bulge. Immediately disposed of it. Luckily I bought a brand new official one as a spare a few months ago.

Be careful if you're on your original battery, pals.:unsmith:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

SeANMcBAY posted:

The hack just makes it into a button press I believe. Not very fun but nice to have as an option if playing emulated or whatever.

Yeah I grew up in a desert and this hack would have probably saved future me from developing skin cancer 10-15 years from now

I could only play for 15 to 20 minutes before I felt sick from the sun exposure lmao. For some reason it was really spotty or unreliable when trying to play indoors by a window

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

SeANMcBAY posted:

drat, just noticed my 3DS' battery was starting to bulge. Immediately disposed of it. Luckily I bought a brand new official one as a spare a few months ago.

I have a New (non XL) 3DS which means I either chance it on a 3rd party battery or import an official one from Japan for $30 and hope it's the real deal (they never stocked them in the US store). Sucks!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I though the 3DS battery was the same as the Wii U pro controller? It shouldn't be hard to find.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There's 3 batteries, the one in the Pro Controllers is shared with the Old3DS, Old2DS and New2DSXL

The New3DS uses a different battery, and the 3DS XL models use another different battery

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fawf posted:

I have a New (non XL) 3DS which means I either chance it on a 3rd party battery or import an official one from Japan for $30 and hope it's the real deal (they never stocked them in the US store). Sucks!

I’ve seen them stocked a few times in the past few weeks on the US store. Keep an eye out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

repiv posted:

There's 3 batteries, the one in the Pro Controllers is shared with the Old3DS, Old2DS and New2DSXL

The New3DS uses a different battery, and the 3DS XL models use another different battery

Don't one of those share the same battery as the Switch Pro Controller, or am I thinking of the WiiU one?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

SeANMcBAY posted:

My system is coming up on eight years old but the battery still seems OK. I've been meaning to pick up a spare just in case though, thanks for the reminder.

E: I can't believe how much money I'm mentally preparing to spend on this system that I haven't played with any regularity since 2018.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 23, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

:siren:The US store has both kinds of 3DS batteries in stock.:siren:

https://www.nintendo.com/store/hardware/?p=1&sort=df&f=replacementPart&replacementPart=Nintendo+3DS%2F2DS+parts

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’ve seen them stocked a few times in the past few weeks on the US store. Keep an eye out.

I haven’t seen n3ds batteries on the Nintendo store in well over a year. The goddamn things are almost impossible to find OEM at this point.

N3ds XL and classic 3ds batteries as far as the eye can see, naturally. n3ds used a third totally unique battery that isn’t used in anything else.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think I got my 3DS... 6 or 7 years ago? How long do yours tend to last? I have no signs of any problems.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Yeah is this an inevitability? Might as well order one, only have a backlog of about fifty games.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't one of those share the same battery as the Switch Pro Controller, or am I thinking of the WiiU one?

Both Pro Controllers use the same battery

CTR-003 - Old3DS, Old2DS, New2DSXL, Wii U Pro Controller, Switch Pro Controller

KTR-003 - New3DS

SPR-003 - Old3DSXL, New3DSXL

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

From what I have read, you can use a CTR-003 on a Nu3DS if you have something to hold it in place (it's smaller than KTR-003 but otherwise compatible).

Mine is still working fine, but I'll likely have to go this route (and hopefully it will work) when the old battery dies.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

repiv posted:

KTR-003 - New3DS

Thanks for this, this is a lot more helpful than Nintendo's own descriptions.

Just picked up 1 of each, would have grabbed 2 of the CTR-003 but apparently they can't ship more than 2 lithium batteries in a single shipment (which is BS you just have to declare them properly)

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
For what it's worth I bought a third-party New 3DS XL battery on Amazon probably two years ago and it's been fine this whole time. Tight fit though, for sure-- it seems to be a tiny bit bigger than the OEM ones.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do any of you still get Streetpasses ever?

I hope Nintendo brings that back for Switch 2 or whatever since it’s fun.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do any of you still get Streetpasses ever?

I hope Nintendo brings that back for Switch 2 or whatever since it’s fun.

No, probably in large part because I haven't done much travel in the last two years :v: Streetpassing whipped rear end though.

I fired up my 3DS to check my Streetpass map out of curiosity, and the most obscure country I got on my map is Anguilla which I had to look up just now lol. I wonder where I encountered that person?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

C-Euro posted:

No, probably in large part because I haven't done much travel in the last two years :v: Streetpassing whipped rear end though.

I fired up my 3DS to check my Streetpass map out of curiosity, and the most obscure country I got on my map is Anguilla which I had to look up just now lol. I wonder where I encountered that person?

It's the first country on the list, so it's most likely the person just mashed A when it asked what country they were from. I'm pretty sure everyone's encountered a Mii from there.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I got people from all 50 states and multiple regions of other countries. Bringing it to airports was fun.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

repiv posted:

KTR-003 - New3DS

I managed to get a refurb N2DSXL from the Nintendo Store in that last drop. Would it be worth grabbing another battery just to have it?

Also, what's a good grip for this thing?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's the first country on the list, so it's most likely the person just mashed A when it asked what country they were from. I'm pretty sure everyone's encountered a Mii from there.

Boooooo

Most obscure after that is...Uruguay I guess? I'm in the US and really wanted to get all 50 states, but only made it to 39 :( Got Hawaii and Alaska at least.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a ton of Capcom games on their largest discount for the 3DS:

quote:

– Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney – $4.99 (was $19.99)
– Mega Man Legacy Collection – $4.99 (was $14.99)
– Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate – $4.99 (was $19.99)
– Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate – $4.99 (was $29.99)
– Monster Hunter Generations – $4.99 (was $39.99)
– Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies – $4.99 (was $29.99)
– Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice – $4.99 (was $29.990
– Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy – $11.99 (was $29.99)
– Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D – $1.99 (was $19.99)
– Resident Evil Revelations – $1.99 (was $19.99)
– Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition – $4.99 (was $19.99)

The 2022 Capcom 3DS eShop sale will be live until March 27 at 11:59 PM PT / March 28 at 2:59 AM ET.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ll pay $5 for the weird handheld port of SFIV

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Those Capcom games are dirt cheap. Which is the best Monster Hunter to play though? Never played a game in the series, but for $5 I'm willing to give it a shot.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I didn't know there was an Apollo Justice port for the 3ds.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Palmtree Panic posted:

Those Capcom games are dirt cheap. Which is the best Monster Hunter to play though? Never played a game in the series, but for $5 I'm willing to give it a shot.

It's a tough call between 4U or Generations. Generations is more of a Greatest Hits. There is a better version of it on Switch if you have one of those. I think I ultimately liked 4U better.

Waltzing Along posted:

I didn't know there was an Apollo Justice port for the 3ds.

It's just a port of the DS game.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Palmtree Panic posted:

MH 3, 4, and Generations has demos on the 3DS if you want to give any of them a try but I usually see 4 being recommended as a good starting point.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

Palmtree Panic posted:

I feel like 4U was my favorite overall, it introduced aerial attacks and has a lot of really cool new and unique monsters to take advantage of the new map verticality, and overall IMO just feels like a very cohesive experience.

Generations is the latest, is a sort of a greatest hits sendoff to the old portable series, adds a bunch of mechanics on top of the usual combat, and has a ton of content, but feels more like a big pile of missions dumped out for you to dig through as you please, and less of a journey / story escalation than 4. Maybe better for people who are already bought in on the series and looking for more?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'd definitely just say get 4 Ultimate and if you like it then get Generations Ultimate on the Switch when it next goes on sale rather than getting the pared-down Generations on 3DS.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's just a port of the DS game.

I thought the eshop didn't sell DS games?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't believe it's a remake or anything, they just made a version to sell on the 3DS eshop.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I thought the sprites were redrawn?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Were they? Hm. I guess I just wrote it off. It didn't seem like they put in as much effort as the AA Trilogy remake where they gave them 3D models and stuff.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Detective No. 27 posted:

Were they? Hm. I guess I just wrote it off. It didn't seem like they put in as much effort as the AA Trilogy remake where they gave them 3D models and stuff.

the ace attorney trilogy didn't get remade with 3d models, they just upscaled and redrew the 2d sprites for better or worse -- likely because the trilogy came out on mobile first

the 3d models were introduced in phoenix wright vs professor layton and were used in all the games made afterwards (dual destinies, spirit of justice, and the great ace attorney 1+2)

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
From a quick glance on google, the 3ds version of Apollo Justice seems to have some quality of life improvements.

Stuff like a better save system where you can play after saving, coming with two save slots, and the 3ds version has the option to play it through English or Japanese.

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 15, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, if there's a version of the games you can't get on switch/pc the 3ds version is the version to have

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
We are moving toward "now or never" for eshop games. So if something is on sale and you're on the fence, keep that in mind. Especially for digital only games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
People seem to love Phoenix Wright but the series never jumped out at me. If you had to recommend one of these to a Phoenix Wright skeptic/newcomer, which would you recommend?

Alxprit posted:

I'd definitely just say get 4 Ultimate and if you like it then get Generations Ultimate on the Switch when it next goes on sale rather than getting the pared-down Generations on 3DS.

Worth noting that there's a free program you can download that allows you to transfer a MH Gen save from your 3DS to the Switch version of the game, if you're into that. But I put almost 250 hours into 4U and only about 30 into Gen so definitely get 4U.

There's no way the 4U multi-player servers are still up, right? It's a shame, co-op MH rules.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 15, 2022