Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Concerned Citizen posted:

Did they capture it, though? It seems like just a context-less photo of whatever that thing is.

KitConstantine posted:

The guy who posted has been verifying (with a very high accuracy rate) everything he's posting. He's keeping a documented list of every piece of equipment lost by either side that he can verify with evidence. If he says it's been captured its captured.

Link to his list for the curious: https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html?m=1

Also the Russians haven't been posting equipment photos like that, and I doubt they would post a picture of a weapons platform just sitting in the mud themselves.

Edit: the dude has been doing the same with equipment in Syria, this isn't his first rodeo

Adding to this, there's a soldier with a yellow armband halfway out-of-frame on the right edge of the picture. Lots of other published media have shown Ukrainian soldiers to be wearing yellow armbands for identification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:siren: I just caught up with the thread, and there was an enormous pile of the most boring drivel imaginable. Boring posting rules, wrt NATO, from now on, also include Geneva Convention, and no-fly zones. :siren:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

jettisonedstuff posted:

What do you think is on those trucks if not fuel and food?

Given the chaos of Russian maneuvers and logistics right now: For all we know its full of puppets and Playstations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:siren: I just caught up with the thread, and there was an enormous pile of the most boring drivel imaginable. Boring posting rules, wrt NATO, from now on, also include Geneva Convention, and no-fly zones. :siren:

Thaaaank you.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Hungarian media. When the article came out it was titled "Standing with Ukraine is treason", since has been changed to "Standing with Ukraine?"

Back from the train station, my English was more needed than my Russian, because 80% of the people coming here from Ukraine were foreign students. (at least today, and to Budapest)
Refugees are getting free food and drinks from different religious organizations and lots of private offers. Things were well organized, I was provided with a link to a google(?) map that lists all the apartments offered by people, with a short description and how many people can stay there etc. and the owners phone number to call.
Most of the stuff we had to do is getting people settled somewhere and tell them how to get there or get a ride for them, in some cases helping people buy tickets to other European destinations.
Probably we will go back tomorrow during the day when we can be most useful, as after work hours they have lots of volunteers.

I don't have anything constructive to add except to say people like you and Mokotow are absolute superstars, you rock!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What about :stonk: soil composition reports?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1498705685885894669?s=20&t=SBAQ0-NlW-rPWr-6lz0L4Q

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Ciprian Maricon posted:

tehcnically thermobaric means, its all fuel and it uses oxygen in the air for the chemistry of the combustion, conventional explosives include oxidizers along with the fuel

We call them fuel-air explosives colloquially in the US if that helps people.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:siren: Having also edited like 20 posts to clean up :nms: stuff, going forward the OPs may get more than 6 hours for posting that stuff inappropriately.

Also, if you quote incorrectly posted obvious :nms: poo poo like a giant rear end rocket hitting the ground floor of an office building, during office hours, while there are cars and poo poo around, I will also probate you for quoting it because I'm not spending another hour editing all the loving posts. :siren:

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

What would be the practical effect of this at this stage? Would it allow the EU to send in troops? Enforce a no fly zone? Hopefully doing those things without US involvement.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mikojan posted:

So it's quite possible, with what we've been shown so far, that Russian troops are getting demoralised and abandoning their equipment. Together with the abysmal logistical issues Russia is seeing, would there be a breaking point where their house of cards just tumbles and troops desert en masse?

I'm grasping for hope here.

With their current logistical prowess i wouldn't rule it out.

Congrats on the avatar. :eek:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hopefully Ukraine uses the tos 1 on the Russians so they can feel the full power of war crimes.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Edmund Lava posted:

What would be the practical effect of this at this stage? Would it allow the EU to send in troops? Enforce a no fly zone? Hopefully doing those things without US involvement.

It would allow Ukraine to spend the next 10-15 years preparing to join the EU, and not much else.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Edmund Lava posted:

It would just telegraph; “Putin, it is now impossible for you to get what you want. Even if you win there can be no peace that eases sanctions with you splitting up, occupying, or holding on to an EU candidate state.”

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Edmund Lava posted:

It's a very institutional gently caress you to Putin and that's about it. It won't trigger anything different but it does communicate that the EU isn't going to back off being mean to Mr. Putin.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1498706931116126217

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Edmund Lava posted:

It's just a recommendation.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

CommieGIR posted:

......why does the map have the US 1st Cavalry division badge on it?

I'll bet those sections in the upper-right are listing NATO assets. Russia considers NATO to be why they are invading Ukraine, so of course they'll consider NATO military assets in theatre.

That's the First Cavalry Division, which is actually an armored division last I checked. It's not air cav anymore.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Is there a confirmation for this? This same account posted about the Migs arriving any minute now and it turned out to be false. I can't find any verification so far

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Edmund Lava posted:

EU candidate status doesn't confer anything like that, this would just be diplomatic signaling.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

DaysBefore posted:

That map also has Ukraine divided in to 3 zones, presumably matching the three letters the Russians have been using on their trucks etc. While there's no way I'm going to believe that anyone, even Lukashenko, is that incompetent it seems like a decent bet that it is the actual plan. In which case Moldova you should prob mobilise the reservists to be safe.

I think those are just Ukrainian Operational Commands (military districts). Also there's four of them, the OC West is seen on left and apparently outside of marked operations.

eg. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_Command_North

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Is there a confirmation for this? This same account posted about the Migs arriving any minute now and it turned out to be false. I can't find any verification so far

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1498701617834639371?s=20&t=JjhgGhKkKPgOEjUaoJgOvg

But you're welcome to find other sources and post them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Edmund Lava posted:

Nothing, it's symbolic. All it does is entitles them to eventually start working on meeting membership criteria and reporting progress, which isn't going to be a high priority.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Nenonen posted:

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡ BREAKING - Finland has hit Putin where it really stings!

The Putin wax doll was removed from the Visulahti wax museum. Slava Ukraini!

To add insult to injury, they left Ukraine's creator in place.

This makes me want a reality tv show where people compete in making wax figures of famous people.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
edit; never mind, beaten

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Edmund Lava posted:

It was brought up a thread-age ago that being a formal EU candidate working toward the criteria for membership confers access to various forms of assistance and loans from the EU. Along with being another incentive for Ukraine to not give in to Russian demands, it may streamline aid for the rebuilding of Ukraine (in whatever form it remains) after hostilities cease without requiring individual EU members get together and agree on aid packages first.

Being a formal candidate is not the same as being a member, and even if candidacy is granted today, I doubt they would be awarded actual membership within this decade. The candidacy process, as mentioned elsewhere, is lengthy even for countries not involved in open warfare.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 1, 2022

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
While looking for candidate status news I stumbled upon this little tidbit on the Tagesschau:

quote:

The right-wing populist French presidential candidate Marine Le Pen is having election brochures destroyed in which she is seen alongside Russian President Vladimir Putin.Officially, the reason is a spelling error, the newspaper Libération reported. In fact, however, this error was not to be found. It is more likely that the photo with Putin, which was particularly embarrassing under the current circumstances, was the trigger.

Le Pen had been received by Putin in Moscow four weeks before the 2017 presidential election. Putin stood for "a new multipolar vision of the world", Le Pen said at the time. With regard to Ukraine, she shared Putin's view. "Crimea never belonged to Ukraine," Le Pen had said in an interview with a Russian newspaper.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Dante posted:

People who know drones, are all Bayraktar TB2's controlled exclusively via the Türksat satellite system? It strikes me that this is an interesting precedent in terms of war assistance by NATO if the drone strikes are literally happening through a NATO member's state-owned satellite system.

The Ukrainian TB2s are not integrated into Turksat, most TB2 are not. There are TB2 variants that can be controlled by satellite though.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

DaysBefore posted:

That map also has Ukraine divided in to 3 zones, presumably matching the three letters the Russians have been using on their trucks etc. While there's no way I'm going to believe that anyone, even Lukashenko, is that incompetent it seems like a decent bet that it is the actual plan. In which case Moldova you should prob mobilise the reservists to be safe.

RE: Moldova - a representative at the European parliament meeting earlier today said that both Ukraine and Moldova should be on the fast track to EU membership. The Moldova mention seems a bit more meaningful now.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Zephro posted:

None, and I do wonder what the point of all this is. The EU is not going to fling itself into a shooting war with Russia.

Signals and symbols matter.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Signals and symbols matter.

And if they turn out to be false signals, that's a rather big violation of trust.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Given the chaos of Russian maneuvers and logistics right now: For all we know its full of puppets and Playstations.

Or it's food, fuel and ammunition, which makes the idea of the drivers starving or freezing to death a little bit ridiculous.

If Ukrainian forces aren't attacking or raiding it, it's likely because they are incapable, which doesn't bode well for their defence efforts at this point.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/PV-9-2022-03-01-RCV_FR.pdf

Official source, last 2 pages.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

https://twitter.com/BlxckFlamesFox/status/1498702729925087232?s=20&t=1jmFrCVUPFkVCe8__Te2wA
this is near kharkiv; this city is the one with the russian mayor who "handed it over" without a fight and got charged with treason by ukrainians in absentia

important because it's probably as heavily russian as any town outside donbass
troops saying "please go home", crowd chanting "this is our city, our streets", soldiers agreeing with them over the loudspeaker

so yeah, this wont end well for Russia really.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

TheRat posted:

It would allow Ukraine to spend the next 10-15 years preparing to join the EU, and not much else.

:hmmyes:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Hamelekim posted:

This makes me want a reality tv show where people compete in making wax figures of famous people.

The Trump episode of Nailed It was pretty funny

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Thanks this helped me track this down:

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/B-9-2022-0123_EN.html

quote:

34. Calls for the EU institutions to work towards granting EU candidate status to Ukraine, in line with Article 49 of the Treaty on European Union and on the basis of merit, and, in the meantime, to continue to work towards its integration into the EU single market along the lines of the Association Agreement;

I know the EU process is long and complex, so I don't know if it will have an immediate impact but its is factual

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

KitConstantine posted:

Russian source on how soldiers were coerced to re-sign contracts and lied to about where they were being deployed

https://twitter.com/MassDara/status/1498661923117805575?t=VRgag9KElCqhwTLJxvog9A&s=19

Direct article link.

It's a tough read

NG has a circulation of about 90k people according to Wikipedia. That’s decently large - NYT, for the US, which has twice the population, is about 370k - but it’s extremely hard to tell from here (China) how much ability it has to change the opinions of the general populace. Most likely that will be based on who reads it, internalises it and shares those views.

(Also side note, we get weird ideas out here about what’s influential because influencers need like ten million subs to be even on the radar.)

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

steinrokkan posted:

Nothing, it's symbolic. All it does is entitles them to eventually start working on meeting membership criteria and reporting progress, which isn't going to be a high priority.

Well, in the very short term you're right, it's a symbolic but huge middle finger towards Putin. And also a symbolic sign towards Ukraine.

But it also signals that when this is all over (hopefully soon), the EU isn't fundamentally opposed to having the Ukraine join it, and if and when (and the 'if' there is really, really big) the Ukraine is sufficiently aligned with the rest of the EU (politics, law, having stable borders (...), economy, civil rights & liberties, ...), it could eventually do just that.

It's not a guarantee obviously, if you elect someone like Erdogan you're not getting in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

OctaMurk posted:

The Ukrainian TB2s are not integrated into Turksat, most TB2 are not. There are TB2 variants that can be controlled by satellite though.

I would be very surprised if Ukraine's are not being controlled via satellite with the operators out of theater right now. That seems like something that the US or UK would have assisted with awhile ago quietly. It would also explain why they are still operating.