Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Jesus Christ the UK has become so irrelevant.

"BREXIT means... good luck suckers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

ah the heady days of a week ago when it seemed like the UK was the only nation that would do something.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

d64 posted:

Naive tactics, unrealistic expectations of a quick rout, equipment and logistics problems, unprepared manpower, it all remind me of the Winter war a lot. But: after a couple of months of very big losses, Soviets put their heads together, probably got some of the most incompetent officers out of the important positions, revised doctrine and started doing a lot better. Soon they were winning and could dictate the peace terms.

Hoping I'm wrong but militarily, the Russians can afford to lose a lot of stuff. They are losing men but their cities, bases and airfields are not being shelled. The sanctions are huge but their economy went off the cliff in 1998 too and the world did not end, I'm hoping they have the desired effect but I'm all but certain on that. I think only internal political pressure can bring a solution in the short term, and it's really extremely hard to tell how the regime in fact works, and what factions and pro escalation / de-escalation pressures exist in the small and opaque circle of people who have any real say in matters of the state. Every newspaper and twitter pundit is churning out pieces on what Putin is thinking and why, takes of every kind and variety, only thing for certain is that most of them are mostly wrong.

I'm hoping the Ukrainians succeed in staging a miraculous defense and the Russians give up, as much as anyone, but really I'm very depressed by the outlook today.

The difference now is that I don’t think Russia can afford several months to get their poo poo together. Their economy is about to crater and I think they need a resolution that sees the sanctions easing within weeks rather than months.

Also I think a lot of their problems stem from mechanical issues like poor maintenance which is going to take more than a few months to rectify.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
The UK can give up having UK as their abbreviation for the Ukraine, and they can instead have FART.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I'm mixed on these guys, but this is a good top level look at the issues facing Russian Manpower.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/explainer-russian-conscription-reserve-and-mobilization

quote:

Russia is likely rapidly exhausting the manpower it can readily use to generate additional effective combat power even as its forces lose combat effectiveness in Ukraine amid high losses. Russian efforts to mobilize more manpower can bring more people into Russian combat units, but those people are unlikely to be well-enough trained or motivated to generate large amounts of new combat power.

Basically, the math continues to not work out for Russia being able to even put enough bodies in Ukraine to defeat the Ukrainian army or occupy the territory. Yes they have a hundred million people, but too few of those have military training. They've had hilariously low interest in building up their reserves from the population.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

There are laws and a legal system. The state uses that legal system to crush dissent. It is not dissimilar from the situation you'd encounter in places like Turkey or Brazil. Much of the world's population unfortunately lives under similar circumstances.

It's also easy enough to condemn their many human rights abuses while remaining entirely truthful.

The Russian state says it has laws and a legal system. It also says there are votes and free elections. The president has limited powers and its beholden to the constitution.

Maybe between intellectual honesty and semantics choose the former.

Correct answer to "what is legal in Russia" is: its legal till it isnt.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

d64 posted:

Naive tactics, unrealistic expectations of a quick rout, equipment and logistics problems, unprepared manpower, it all remind me of the Winter war a lot. But: after a couple of months of very big losses, Soviets put their heads together, probably got some of the most incompetent officers out of the important positions, revised doctrine and started doing a lot better. Soon they were winning and could dictate the peace terms.

Hoping I'm wrong but militarily, the Russians can afford to lose a lot of stuff. They are losing men but their cities, bases and airfields are not being shelled. The sanctions are huge but their economy went off the cliff in 1998 too and the world did not end, I'm hoping they have the desired effect but I'm all but certain on that. I think only internal political pressure can bring a solution in the short term, and it's really extremely hard to tell how the regime in fact works, and what factions and pro escalation / de-escalation pressures exist in the small and opaque circle of people who have any real say in matters of the state. Every newspaper and twitter pundit is churning out pieces on what Putin is thinking and why, takes of every kind and variety, only thing for certain is that most of them are mostly wrong.

I'm hoping the Ukrainians succeed in staging a miraculous defense and the Russians give up, as much as anyone, but really I'm very depressed by the outlook today.

The Soviet Union in the Winter War was fighting a defensive total war, with the entire country on a war footing, and basically the entire populace backing the war effort. They were also being propped up by lend-lease.

So now we have Russia, which is about two-thirds of the USSR, fighting a war of conquest that they won't even admit is a war, with a populace that's pretty opposed to that whole idea, and the side that's getting propped up by the West is the other one.

In theory their military is bigger, and maybe they can succeed in occupying Ukraine. But then what? Literally millions of Ukrainians now have rifles, boxes of Molotovs, a year's worth of military experience, and a burning desire not to live under Putin's lash. That leaked FSB memo estimated they would need half a million troops to maintain an occupation under more peaceful circumstances, and implied closer to a million for the circumstances as they are.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Morrow posted:

I'm mixed on these guys, but this is a good top level look at the issues facing Russian Manpower.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/explainer-russian-conscription-reserve-and-mobilization

Basically, the math continues to not work out for Russia being able to even put enough bodies in Ukraine to defeat the Ukrainian army or occupy the territory. Yes they have a hundred million people, but too few of those have military training. They've had hilariously low interest in building up their reserves from the population.

Additional manpower probably doesn’t make much difference if the closest you can get them to the front is the rear of the first bogged down convoy you find blocking the road.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
I think the term of art is rule by law, as opposed to rule of law. There's absolutely laws, it's just that their enforcement is arbitrary/selective and always to the benefit of the state/its supporters, not in service of any abstract concept of justice, as people have been saying. See: almost all modern dictatorships and most Chinese imperial regimes.

d64
Jan 15, 2003

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The Soviet Union in the Winter War was fighting a defensive total war, with the entire country on a war footing, and basically the entire populace backing the war effort. They were also being propped up by lend-lease.
Didn't lend-lease begin in 1941, while Winter war ended in March 1940? Also I don't quite follow who you say was fighting a defensive total war, when also the German invasion of Russia started only in 1941.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Gotta fight fire with fire as they say:

“the US and UK intelligence services in recent weeks have de facto turned Polish territory into a 'logistical hub' used to supply weapons and smuggle fighters”-- including Daesh* terrorists from Syria reportedly trained at the Al-Tanf military base.

https://sputniknews.com/20220306/ukraine-says-nearly-20000-mercenaries-en-route--but-just-who-are-they-1093643491.html

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

Additional manpower probably doesn’t make much difference if the closest you can get them to the front is the rear of the first bogged down convoy you find blocking the road.

Theoretically, the US Army War College can quantum leap onto the Russian General Staff and begin to resolve their supply issues. There's no coming back from manpower issues.

cranky corvid
Sep 30, 2021

Lead out in cuffs posted:

No, that'd be the Continuation War.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Today hasn't been a lot of movement outisde of Russia taking three airbases in the South West near Mykolaiv, Russian's mainly continue to target infrastructure and presumably sort their poo poo out or wait for fuel lines. They've also been shelling evacuation routes, taking out a Train Station and Bridge in the West to slow people leaving.

Amazingly Mauripol is still holding on, but Ukrainian counter attack didn't really seem to achieve much to alleviate things there. There's been an absolute ton of reports of shelling Kharkiv in the East. Pretty much every area of the city has someone reporting a hit or something on fire. Definitely feels like it's their main focus right now.

Amazingly this is the second time the Russian's have now shot at a Nuclear facility as the rocket striked the Kharkiv Institute of Physics and Technology has a working nuclear reactor in it.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russia-kharkiv-nuclear-reactor-rocket-b2029663.html

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean allegedly Russia has already been sending conscripts into Ukraine with trained military, so I don't think there is much else they can pull from if that's the case

We're at the point now where the BEST case scenario for Putin is that Russian soldiers are stuck in a decades-long bloody occupation of Ukraine that accomplishes nothing. I don't think they can realistically fund this with the level of sanctions they are under.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I think the term of art is rule by law, as opposed to rule of law. There's absolutely laws, it's just that their enforcement is arbitrary/selective and always to the benefit of the state/its supporters, not in service of any abstract concept of justice, as people have been saying. See: almost all modern dictatorships and most Chinese imperial regimes.

I mean looks around southernly

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Hey, did we sort out if being a lawyer in Russia is a good gig or not?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

the popes toes posted:

Gotta fight fire with fire as they say:

“the US and UK intelligence services in recent weeks have de facto turned Polish territory into a 'logistical hub' used to supply weapons and smuggle fighters”-- including Daesh* terrorists from Syria reportedly trained at the Al-Tanf military base.

https://sputniknews.com/20220306/ukraine-says-nearly-20000-mercenaries-en-route--but-just-who-are-they-1093643491.html

... I assume you are joking but just in case your link for this is to Sputnik news. A Russian government news operation.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

the popes toes posted:

Hey, did we sort out if being a lawyer in Russia is a good gig or not?

Depends if you're defense or prosecution, I imagine.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
You don't need to go back to the Winter War for an analogue; this is the First Chechen War all over again, more or less.

The "less" being, Ukraine is a vastly superior opponent to a bunch of Chechen rebels.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean allegedly Russia has already been sending conscripts into Ukraine with trained military, so I don't think there is much else they can pull from if that's the case

The current conscripts are the ones who were unlucky enough to be already serving their one year while Ukraine was invaded. There is still a constant supply of kids turning 18 and getting conscripted that Putin can immediately send to the frontline. If he gets desperate he can draft everyone else of military age, however, that is much more likely to lead to public unrest.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

KitConstantine posted:

... I assume you are joking but just in case your link for this is to Sputnik news. A Russian government news operation.

Ha, I was just amused at the contrast between the statements. But I do think it's very useful to browse the other side's news organs.

oh, since we're talking about law:

THE HAGUE (Reuters) - Ukraine will ask the United Nations' top court on Monday to issue an emergency ruling requiring Russia to stop its invasion, arguing that Moscow's justification for the attack is based on a faulty interpretation of genocide law

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.

Ynglaur posted:

Eh, they were maintaining excellent spacing and were prioritizing speed. They could have low-crawled out to the firing position, but that would have taken longer--the targets might have moved--and if they got detected they'd be suppressed anyways. Those were some fairly long shots (200-300m, maybe? I could use some help with that estimate), but close enough to see which direction the turret--and thus optics--were facing.

The guys in that video are federal police (basically kyiv swat) btw, which is even more hilarious. And those are good tactics in play!

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Rad Russian posted:

The current conscripts are the ones who were unlucky enough to be already serving their one year while Ukraine was invaded. There is still a constant supply of kids turning 18 and getting conscripted that Putin can immediately send to the frontline. If he gets desperate he can draft everyone else of military age, however, that is much more likely to lead to public unrest.

This is all true, but sending fresh untrained conscripts into smashed up cities you don't actually control, because a bunch of dudes and duettes with bazookas were hiding down in the nuclear shelters they built all over town, is a recipe for a Bad Time.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Franks Happy Place posted:

This is all true, but sending fresh untrained conscripts into smashed up cities you don't actually control, because a bunch of dudes and duettes with bazookas were hiding down in the nuclear shelters they built all over town, is a recipe for a Bad Time.

Sending your elite paratroopers in doesn't seem to be great either.

Defended cities are hard to take. Who knew?

d64
Jan 15, 2003

You don't need to go back to the Winter War for an analogue; this is the First Chechen War all over again, more or less.

The "less" being, Ukraine is a vastly superior opponent to a bunch of Chechen rebels.
I've been thinking of this too. At the time of the second war it seemed impossible the place could ever be anything but a war zone, with the asymmetric conflict just smoldering forever, but hey, today it is a part of Russia, more or less, and the resistance is no longer much of a problem for the larger nation. A huge money sink, but it still turned out better for the Russians than I ever thought it would.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Pook Good Mook posted:

Jesus Christ the UK has become so irrelevant.

"BREXIT means... good luck suckers"

They wanted to be an Empire again. Instead they became ever more irrelevant.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

They wanted to be an Empire again. Instead they became ever more irrelevant.

Are you talking about Britain or Russia?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Andrei V Kozyrev
Foreign Minister of Russia, 1990-1996. Member of the State Duma till 2000
@andreivkozyrev

First of all, I want to examine where the questioning of Putin’s rationality started.

To understand why the invasion was rational for Putin, we have to step into his shoes. Three beliefs came together at the same time in his calculus:

1. Ukraine’s condition as a country
2. Russian military’s condition
3. The West’s geopolitical condition

1. Ukraine’s condition. Putin spent the last 20 years believing that Ukraine is not a real nation and, at best, should be a satellite state. Maidan ended any hope of keeping Ukraine independent and pro-Kremlin. He thought the West was behind it.

If Ukraine’s government cannot be kept independent and pro-Kremlin covertly, as he likely concluded, then he will overtly force it to be. He also started to believe his own propagandists that Ukraine is run by a Nazi-Bandera junta. Perfect pretext to “de-Nazify” Ukraine.

2. Russian military. The Kremlin spent the last 20 years trying to modernize its military. Much of that budget was stolen and spent on mega-yachts in Cyprus. But as a military advisor you cannot report that to the President. So they reported lies to him instead. Potemkin military

3. The West. The Russian ruling elite believed its own propaganda that Pres. Biden is mentally inept. They also thought the EU was weak because of how toothless their sanctions were in 2014. And then the U.S. botched its withdrawal from Afghanistan, solidifying this narrative.

If you believe all three of the above to be true and your goal is to restore the glory of the Russian Empire (whatever that means), then it is perfectly rational to invade Ukraine.

He miscalculated on all three, but that doesn’t make him insane. Simply wrong and immoral.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

d64 posted:

I've been thinking of this too. At the time of the second war it seemed impossible the place could ever be anything but a war zone, with the asymmetric conflict just smoldering forever, but hey, today it is a part of Russia, more or less, and the resistance is no longer much of a problem for the larger nation. A huge money sink, but it still turned out better for the Russians than I ever thought it would.

I think that might change a bit depending on how this goes. Kadyrov has sent a lot of his personal army out on this adventure and if it keeps looking like a disaster his position is gonna be weakened significantly.

Also the Imams that declared jihad on Kadyrov may debate if it's okay for Muslims to fight explicitly on the side of Ukraine (Muslims fighting Muslims in service of non-Muslims is typically haram), but attacking Kadyrov directly as part of a rebellion in Chechnya is a-ok.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

Oooo, good question.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Yes.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Nobody cares what that tiny island of racist non-EU TERFs thinks about a single thing, Boris is less relevant to this conversation than the PM of Cyprus.

Shut up and let the real countries like Poland deal with this, that's what you wanted wasn't it?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 7, 2022

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Nobody cares what that tiny island of racist non-EU TERFs thinks about a single thing, Boris is less relevant to this conversation than the PM of Cyprus.

Shut up and let the real countries like Poland deal with this, that's what you wanted wasn't it?

The UK is not a tiny island, its literally one of the world's largest islands.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

d64 posted:

Soon they were winning and could dictate the peace terms.

The can dictate all they want. The west isn't going to drop sanctions just because they bullied the hell out of Ukraine.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So the officially counted and visually verified number of Russian tanks destroyed by the Ukrainian Army is rapidly approaching the entire number of MBTs available to Great Britain; and yet I still read that I need to be prepared for Ukraine to fall within a week. Still don't get it.

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1500592555938963456?s=20&t=t-_4jszk0SI5p055X1erfA

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Calibanibal posted:

<laughs in australian>

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Calibanibal posted:

Canada owns empty Arctic reefs bigger than the small island known as Great Britain.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

The Lone Badger posted:

<laughs in australian>

I mean, technically ever continent is an island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I looked it up on Google and it looks tiny. Hard to say.