Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Drew Lock just needs to be in the same system at least 2 years in a row. imo.

If the seahawks took Drew Lock instead of a pick that is pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

mcmagic posted:

If the seahawks took Drew Lock instead of a pick that is pretty funny.

Jokes on you, hes good for a pick??

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Jokes on you, hes good for a pick??

:golfclap:

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

FAT BATMAN posted:

Idk why y’all are harshing on Pete Carrol. I think he’s a good coach who calls plays that are fun to watch, and goes for it on 4th when lots of lesser, worse coaches wouldn’t. He successfully did a fake punt last year! I’ve never heard anyone complain about him screwing up time management or flubbing time outs like I hear about half the other coaches. Also I appreciate that he always seems to have a sunny, energetic disposition on the sideline, not dispassionate or grouchy like other coaches.

I think if we got rid of Pete, we would likely get a more boring coach.

I didn’t expect Jody Allen to post here.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I trust that Drew Lock can become a valuable clipboard Microsoft Surface Pro wizard

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1501376330323091465?t=HZdZUVenA3KGW_d4aOGWHw&s=19

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I want to marry Mina Kimes.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
When is a player entitled to guaranteed money?

Let’s say Aaron Rodgers gets that stupid rear end guaranteed $153 million. I don’t imagine he could announce his retirement immediately after signing the contract and still get it.

Because that’s definitely what I personally would do if it was an option.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

When is a player entitled to guaranteed money?

Let’s say Aaron Rodgers gets that stupid rear end guaranteed $153 million. I don’t imagine he could announce his retirement immediately after signing the contract and still get it.

Because that’s definitely what I personally would do if it was an option.

It’s guaranteed in the sense that so long as he performs or shows up, he’s paid.

There’s a reason you sometimes hear about injury guaranteed etc

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1501380906245935110?t=plHh1qPwlXYltswHY56omg&s=19

Huh

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Seattle embracing the tank. They should rehire Jim Mora too.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Pete knows a thing or two about controlled demolitions

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hot Diggity! posted:

:golfclap:

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

jet fuel can’t melt Seahawks dreams

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Hot Diggity! posted:

:laugh:

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Bob Socko posted:

jet fuel can’t melt Seahawks dreams

I disagree, I think the trade for Jamal Adams hijacked the Seahawks’ future.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

King Hong Kong posted:

holy poo poo, nicely done

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

King Hong Kong posted:

:angel:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

King Hong Kong posted:

Future already lives rent free in RW's head

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/A_Jude/status/1501269104572784640

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
What a sad, sad day. Going to be in my feels for a while on this one.

Interesting listen to the Athletic's podcast, since Mays had Sando on who is always plugged into Seattle stuff.

Sando's perspective (and who knows how much is true, he's hardly an objective party) is that the Seattle/Wilson relationship was permanently broken, and the team didn't think he was worth the $50mm contract he'd demand. If you assume that he won't be your QB in two years, then your maximum return for him is now.

Sando also had a real drama queen insinuation that a lot of the noise about Pete being old and having everything past him was being leaked by Wilson's camp. I always assumed that Pete was about to retire given his age, but he did just sign a five year extension. Maybe he really is game for a rebuild. He and Schneider have already completely torn down and rebuilt the Seahawks roster once. If that's what happens (and it's looking increasingly likely) then I wonder if their immediate focus will be on the defense, not the offense. They may punt entirely on finding a new QB, since they did that for two years when Pete and Schneider started.

Man, this team is going to be flaming dogshit in 2022.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

shirts and skins posted:

What a sad, sad day. Going to be in my feels for a while on this one.

Interesting listen to the Athletic's podcast, since Mays had Sando on who is always plugged into Seattle stuff.

Sando's perspective (and who knows how much is true, he's hardly an objective party) is that the Seattle/Wilson relationship was permanently broken, and the team didn't think he was worth the $50mm contract he'd demand. If you assume that he won't be your QB in two years, then your maximum return for him is now.

Sando also had a real drama queen insinuation that a lot of the noise about Pete being old and having everything past him was being leaked by Wilson's camp. I always assumed that Pete was about to retire given his age, but he did just sign a five year extension. Maybe he really is game for a rebuild. He and Schneider have already completely torn down and rebuilt the Seahawks roster once. If that's what happens (and it's looking increasingly likely) then I wonder if their immediate focus will be on the defense, not the offense. They may punt entirely on finding a new QB, since they did that for two years when Pete and Schneider started.

Man, this team is going to be flaming dogshit in 2022.

Pete and JS had Scot McCloughan last time during the first rebuild. He and Seahawks went different ways and the drafting degraded severely.

If Pete and JS had the ability to pull a "I would simply draft all hall of famers" they would have had better drafting over the last decade. They haven't. They have also made many terrible trades like Unger -> Graham. They got lucky with a couple of drafts, notably hitting a HoF QB in the third. A prospect who likely would have succeeded anywhere because 1) Wilson was already a polished prospect and 2) Andy Reid wanted to draft him which is a big indicator of Wilson's quality.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

otoh let's go hawks baby love da hawks

superbowl 2023 here we come!!!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Andy Reid wanted to draft him which is a big indicator of Wilson's quality.

He had three chances.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He had three chances.

And?

If you think a prospect is great then your objective is to take them as late as possible.

How is that a rebuttal of my assertion that Russ was clearly a good QB prospect if Andy, arguably the best QB developer ever, wanted Russ?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

And?

If you think a prospect is great then your objective is to take them as late as possible.

How is that a rebuttal of my assertion that Russ was clearly a good QB prospect if Andy, arguably the best QB developer ever, wanted Russ?

Reid traded up to get Mahomes.

He passed on Russ three times.

Kind of a wide chasm there

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Pete and JS had Scot McCloughan last time during the first rebuild. He and Seahawks went different ways and the drafting degraded severely.

If Pete and JS had the ability to pull a "I would simply draft all hall of famers" they would have had better drafting over the last decade. They haven't. They have also made many terrible trades like Unger -> Graham. They got lucky with a couple of drafts, notably hitting a HoF QB in the third. A prospect who likely would have succeeded anywhere because 1) Wilson was already a polished prospect and 2) Andy Reid wanted to draft him which is a big indicator of Wilson's quality.

Yes I'm aware thank you

I'm more or less trying to understand the team's motivations and predict their plans, not guess whether I think it'll work out. Because I think we're in the same place on that.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

He didn’t take him at all so apparently he didn’t think Russ would be all that great.

Schneider and Carroll deserve credit for taking him even if they haven’t been good at drafting recently.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I want to marry Mina Kimes.

This is her really trying hard to not be owned but she's actually owned. It gives me no pleasure to say this.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1501394815677878272

Jake Heaps (who purports to have an inside line on Russ' camp) says Russ would have vetoed trades to WAS and PHI.

That's sort of what I assumed was the case, if the Hawks are tanking it shouldn't matter too much whether Russ ends up in the NFC or AFC.

Guess that's another explanation for the somewhat underwhelming return, that NTC limited the Hawks' leverage.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bob Socko posted:

I don't really follow the Broncos. How bad is Drew Lock? Any chance it's a question of the Broncos using the wrong scheme for his skillset, something like that?

Check out "All Things QB - Hosted by Tim Jenkins" on Youtube. He's Denver based and does a breakdown of each Broncos passing game, and seems to hold the opinion that Pat Shurmer was holding both Teddy Bridgewater and Drew Lock back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlasQkc22Ss is his analysis of Drew Lock's last game against the Chargers (didn't go well, but he didn't blame Lock for the score).

Drew Lock has a cannon for an arm and looks like a John Elway QB prototype, but he doesn't throw with anticipation often enough (he has to see a receiver open before he'll throw it), and is a bit slow in processing the field. He'll also yolo up a deep ball and get lucky, which is primarily why so many Broncos fans wanted him over the more risk averse Teddy. Maybe some really good QB coaching can salvage him, but, he's a bottom-tier starter right now.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

mcmagic posted:

This is her really trying hard to not be owned but she's actually owned. It gives me no pleasure to say this.

Sometimes you gotta post through it

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Bridgewater has been the same guy for four different teams. He is who he is, nobody is holding him back.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He didn’t take him at all so apparently he didn’t think Russ would be all that great.

Glancing at that draft it looks like Reid was going to take a third round QB one way or the other with his second pick in the round and possibly would have taken Russ if he was there. Ended up with Nick Foles instead a few picks later.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Glancing at that draft it looks like Reid was going to take a third round QB one way or the other with his second pick in the round and possibly would have taken Russ if he was there. Ended up with Nick Foles instead a few picks later.

He had could have taken Russ at 59 but took Vinny Curry instead. Maybe they’d have taken him over Foles if he’d still been there but the upshot is they had no better than a third round grade on Wilson and didn’t think he was a much better prospect than Foles or they’d have ended up with him and not Foles.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah I wasn't saying that as a ringing endorsement of 'Andy loved Russell Wilson,' just that might be where the story that he would have taken him comes from.

e: looking back it is kinda fun to wonder what the hell Chip Kelly would have done with Wilson before his stuff got figured out. What he got out of Nick Foles was pretty goddamned good and Nick Foles is...outside of that season and one playoff run...Nick Foles.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 9, 2022

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Schneider and Carroll deserve credit for taking him even if they haven’t been good at drafting recently.

Andy did think he was great. He also (correctly) identified that Russ would be available in the mid rounds.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He had could have taken Russ at 59 but took Vinny Curry instead. Maybe they’d have taken him over Foles if he’d still been there but the upshot is they had no better than a third round grade on Wilson and didn’t think he was a much better prospect than Foles or they’d have ended up with him and not Foles.

The objective of the draft is to get the good prospects with the latest round pick you can. That doesn't mean they think Russ was a bad prospect, that means they thought they could exploit the market. And they nearly did.

The point is that if Andy thinks a QB prospect is good, they are in fact a good QB prospect.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I don't get this for Wilson. Did he really hit it off with Elway? Fangio? I don't think Denver is going to be all that good, even if Wilson is completely healthy.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Failson posted:

I don't get this for Wilson. Did he really hit it off with Elway? Fangio? I don't think Denver is going to be all that good, even if Wilson is completely healthy.

Fangio ain't there anymore but seems there was a fracture between Wilson and the team and he wanted out. Been a question mark since last off-season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Probably the least exciting news in the past twenty-four hours, but also, hell yeah.