Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

so far i really like the polish put on dw2. it feels a lot more coherent as a game. its 90% a clone of the original but the 10% that has been overhauled is the bit they needed to overhaul

pros

-multi-threaded research
-LOTS to explore, holy crap
-fleet and army templates!

cons

-LOTS to explore, holy crap
-popup spam
-don't like the music

If parts of the game are as moddable as the first, there may be a music folder you can just dump MP3s into instead of using their soundtrack. I did that for DW:U and it's dope af flying around with Ulver and Samael and Lorn and Manes doing my space opera music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bug Squash posted:

Is that the base game only by any chance? They make the real money with the dlc. The base game is to try and rope people in.

I don't pay that much attention. They don't seem to feel the need to do that with Crusader Kings or Europa Universalis though

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Wait, it's a pausable real-time game? lol What a mess.

Just like the game it's a sequel to, yes?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Psycho Landlord posted:

Just like the game it's a sequel to, yes?

Yea I didn't realize the original was that either. It's too bad, it sounded like it had some interesting ideas.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Yea I didn't realize the original was that either. It's too bad, it sounded like it had some interesting ideas.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Wait, pausable real-time in and of itself is a game-breaker for you? Why?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Having played real-time 4Xs lately, it’s really hard to go back to turn based.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

chaosapiant posted:

Agreed. As long as it's single player I prefer pausable real time myself, I can move the game along at a speed I want. Otherwise it seems like you get stuck with Civ clones.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mayveena posted:

Agreed. As long as it's single player I prefer pausable real time myself, I can move the game along at a speed I want. Otherwise it seems like you get stuck with Civ clones.

I keep talking about Distant Worlds, but I think it's an important aspect of that game's appeal. Seeing your private sector go about its business as you're slowly able to zoom out of the galaxy is super cool, because it's like watching ant farm.

But yea, just in general being able to control my own pace and not have to "wait" for the CPU to process a turn and then react, I can just go about my business making adjustments and such.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Multiplayer turn-based 4X's are a bit of a pain in the rear end. Real-time works much smoother in general.

In single-player I think either or is fine.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I don't know that a game with Distant World's scope would even work as a turn-based game, at least for general appeal. Not without significant adjustments.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

Multiplayer turn-based 4X's are a bit of a pain in the rear end. Real-time works much smoother in general.

In single-player I think either or is fine.

Turn-based PBEM is pretty much the ideal setup for a multiplayer strategy game though, lot easier to find people willing to play them if it's take a few minutes whenever you have time in the week, vs. scheduling sixty loving hours of simultaneous gaming time like you're the world's most obnoxious MMO guild

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 10, 2022

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

orangelex44 posted:

Wait, pausable real-time in and of itself is a game-breaker for you? Why?

Don't, it's a trap

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

chaosapiant posted:

I keep talking about Distant Worlds, but I think it's an important aspect of that game's appeal. Seeing your private sector go about its business as you're slowly able to zoom out of the galaxy is super cool, because it's like watching ant farm.

But yea, just in general being able to control my own pace and not have to "wait" for the CPU to process a turn and then react, I can just go about my business making adjustments and such.

What rules so hard about Distant Worlds' philosophy is how clever it is with its real time stuff

A lot of real time with pause games let you auto-pause the game, or fire off a big notification / camera movement, when something really important requires your attention. This is because it knows you're going to be distracted with the micro and minutiae of moment-to-moment gameplay

DW goes the other direction, and encourages you to offload the micro and minutiae to the AI so you can focus entirely on the important stuff

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

chaosapiant posted:

I like both tbh. Depends what the game is designed around. SotS or, say. Age of Wonders as pausable real time would be awful, but all these little civilians space mans flying around in DW2 just wouldn't work in a turn based game.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
yea pausable realtime is a completely different genre from a tbs 4x game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

yea pausable realtime is a completely different genre from a tbs 4x game.

I don't know that I agree that they're "completely different genres." They're both 4X space games. Pausing or turn based doesn't change that the goals are mostly the same between real-time games like Stellaris or Distant Worlds, vs Endless Space/GalCIv/MoO.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Man, I really want to play Distant Worlds 2 now.

Only problem: Because of my bad eye sight I set the UI-size to the largest possible when launching the game.

Result: Most of the UI is now invisible, and the rest seems to just cover loving everything

Also, trying to go back doesn't work because the confirmation-button in the settings menu is now invisible, and there apparently is no keyboard shortcut for confirming the settings. In fact, you can't go back out of the menu either, you're just trapped until you tab out and kill the game from Steam. Welp.

Deinstalled, re-installed, nothing changed. Searched for a place where the settings would normally be saved, but apparently DW2 doesn't put the in-game setting anywhere where you could get at them from outside. Changing the Windows UI just breaks the UI even worse.

I've filed a bug report because of this mess, but if I don't hear back, I'll be forced to ask for a refund. :shrug:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
gently caress it. bought it. goddamn its $45.00

Libluini posted:

Only problem: Because of my bad eye sight I set the UI-size to the largest possible when launching the game.

Result: Most of the UI is now invisible, and the rest seems to just cover loving everything

Also, trying to go back doesn't work because the confirmation-button in the settings menu is now invisible, and there apparently is no keyboard shortcut for confirming the settings. In fact, you can't go back out of the menu either, you're just trapped until you tab out and kill the game from Steam. Welp.

Deinstalled, re-installed, nothing changed. Searched for a place where the settings would normally be saved, but apparently DW2 doesn't put the in-game setting anywhere where you could get at them from outside. Changing the Windows UI just breaks the UI even worse.

I've filed a bug report because of this mess, but if I don't hear back, I'll be forced to ask for a refund. :shrug:

I think i saw a workaround, there are definitely a lot of UI issues people are having at start.
If you go into the steam community hub, click the discussions tab, and then go to 'Tech Support' there are a few pinned workarounds for common problems (blurry fonts, resolution woes, etc)

looks like a hotfix is incoming tomorrow

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 10, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

Close game
Go to "browse local files" for DW2 in steam
Go to the "data" folder
Delete the file named "GameSettings"
Start game, should be reset to default menu settings

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

chaosapiant posted:

I don't know that I agree that they're "completely different genres." They're both 4X space games. Pausing or turn based doesn't change that the goals are mostly the same between real-time games like Stellaris or Distant Worlds, vs Endless Space/GalCIv/MoO.

the goals are the same but they play way different. the game play is a very integral part to any genre. a turn based FPS wouldnt be a twitch shooter fps even if the goal of "shooting the other players" is the same.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I ran into the same problem in Stellaris with a ui mod. I think reinstalling fixed it though.

Sorry to hear that, I think I'll take a short elden ring break for distant worlds 2 in an hour when I get home.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
just to expand, crosspost from their steam forum.

quote:

Hi everyone,

We're becoming aware that on some system configurations, DW2 is incorrectly detecting the default ideal combination of resolution, refresh and UI scaling. This can lead to a situation where fonts are blurry or the UI is so large that it does not fit the screen, including the game settings dialog.

Normally there's a little "X" button in the top right to close the game settings. There are also Apply and Cancel buttons on the bottom.

If you're not seeing those because you ended up in a resolution that your monitor or card somehow don't support, then deleting the gamesettings and gamestartsettings files in the /data sub-folder of your installation will reset you to the defaults.

You can also try using Alt-Enter after launching the game to switch to Windowed mode.

I was able to duplicate the issue. I'll be reviewing this with Elliot (the developer) today and we'll get a hotfix out for it ASAP (by tomorrow). We're also looking into other workarounds.

You can also try to change your windows desktop resolution to a lower one and try to re-launch the game to see if it still automatically puts you into a bad combination of resolution and interface scale.

If the fonts are blurry, please try the following steps, then re-launch the game after deleting the files above.

-Right click on DistantWorlds2.exe in your installation folder
-Click on properties
-Go to the Compatibility tab
-Click on Change high DPI settings
-Select Override High DPI scaling: Application
- Apply then start the game and it should look nice and crisp if you have it set to native resolution.

Using Steam, you can find where Distant Worlds 2 is installed by right clicking on it in your library list of games, then choosing "Properties" then "Local Files" then clicking the "Browse" button. That will take you right to the installation folder.

This all comes down to a bad default choice on the game's part in terms of what it's auto-detecting on your systems which we will fix ASAP.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

the goals are the same but they play way different. the game play is a very integral part to any genre. a turn based FPS wouldnt be a twitch shooter fps even if the goal of "shooting the other players" is the same.
Different yes completely different no. There's a lot of stuff that crosses over fine and plays similarly in both, and obviously also a lot of stuff that doesn't.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Close game
Go to "browse local files" for DW2 in steam
Go to the "data" folder
Delete the file named "GameSettings"
Start game, should be reset to default menu settings

Thanks! That helped. After some careful experimenting, the game accepted Win10 at 125% scaling and normal UI as an acceptable compromise without breaking anything.

Now the game is actually playable!

So far thinks are looking good, but of course now it's time to stop already, ha ha. All this trouble-shooting ate away all the playing time I had left for today. I guess I have to go deeper in my Teekan merchant guild run tomorrow after work :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Willfrey posted:

just to expand, crosspost from their steam forum.

I’m Elliot, the developer.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Having not played the first and only an hour to play today, im pretty excited after seeing the basic setup and the private economy/automation!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
After three hours I've been murdering pirates and am about to colonize my first planet. There are some bugs, in particular a weird one that saw civilian and automated ships heading to a neighboring system of my homeworld by doing a scenic route and pathing away from it before pathing back towards it in a weird rectangular shape. One crash so far and some slowdowns but I can't tell if anything in particular causes it.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
How in the world does colony income work? Revenue is not Base Revenue + Gross Tax, it's something different. Support costs seem to just be an arbitrary value for regular non-specific expenses, but any of the three revenue values minus support costs (in any combination) does not equal what the net tax revenue is. And corruption is the same way, no combination of combining numbers on the colony page equals any other number. And the money value on the colony list on the left, which in theory should be the final actually amount, also does not equal any combination of the values in the colony detail screen.

Basically as far as it's presented to me every number on the colony screen appears to be just be a random number thrown up on thee screen.

Also bring back private sector station building, so I can feel like I have some control over my economic prioritization while not being driven insane by the needs of just dropping a station everywhere. There is no middle ground of reasonable level of occasional attention, it's either just being forced to watch building stations like a hawk to keep your economy rolling, fully automating everything (including stations previously not built by the private sector in DW1), or just flat out gimping yourself to give yourself a break from checking every 60 seconds if you need to keep building stations until you've hit a distance limit based on your tech level.

Also while I'm at it, were DW1 messages this bad? I got used to turning most of them off but that doesn't seem to work well with how broad scope some of the messages are. I kind of want my diplomatic messages, but why the hell does a monetary gift generate two (one that I'm sending money and the other that they recieved it)? It should generate none, I sent the money so why do I need a reminder and if I sent it why do I need the notice that they accepted it? I just need to know if they refused it, everything else isn't just annoying but actively pointless. I don't care about every little combat but I do care about ship losses, but I can't filter them that way.

Maybe even worse than that is the addition of the filter by empire setting seems like it'd solve a huge chunk of the messaging problem but it doesn't work in any reasonable way (still not totally sure how it does). How it should work is something like say you want combat reports but don't want any notifications about the Fierce Storm Outlaws. So if you turn off the Fierce Storm Outlaws in the filter, you'd no longer get combat reports from that group, or any other message for that matter from them. Instead it seems like it only applies to diplomatic messages, which seems really freaking weird to have both a general diplomatic filter and a nation specific one. If you didn't want any diplomatic messages, just turn off all the national filters. Or at the very least put it the general filter button on the same row as the nation filters so it at least suggests, visually, the way it actually works.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

nessin posted:

How in the world does colony income work? Revenue is not Base Revenue + Gross Tax, it's something different. Support costs seem to just be an arbitrary value for regular non-specific expenses, but any of the three revenue values minus support costs (in any combination) does not equal what the net tax revenue is. And corruption is the same way, no combination of combining numbers on the colony page equals any other number. And the money value on the colony list on the left, which in theory should be the final actually amount, also does not equal any combination of the values in the colony detail screen.

Er, that's weird - I'm watching one of DasTactic's video on DW2, and his seems correct and pretty straightforward: (Revenue - corruption losses) * tax rate - support costs = final net

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 11, 2022

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How’s the graphics/presentation of DW2 for those playing it?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I’m enjoying it so far. I have maybe 8 hours in the original, which I could never really get into because I found the UI too cluttered.

Trip report from 3 hours into the new one:
- Started a new galaxy, prewarp, humans
- I have a planet and that’s it
- AI starts building exploration ships for me and a spaceport
- exploration of moon and asteroids around homeworld starts well, exploration of nearby planets in same system doesn’t because ships are too slow.
- eventually discover warp tech and my second round of explorers overtake the poor ship that’s now having to trudge its way back from halfway to the neighbouring gas giant
- pirates show up which is concerning as I don’t have a navy
- other pirates show up and offer to join me for 3/4 of my treasury. When I accept they reveal they’re the descendants of a fleet that was supposed to defend us thousands of years ago
- I now have a fleet

It’s definitely a grog game, but I’m finding it a lot more approachable than its predecessor.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Squiggle posted:

Er, that's weird - I'm watching one of DasTactic's video on DW2, and his seems correct and pretty straightforward: (Revenue - corruption losses) * tax rate - support costs = final net

Now that you point it out, I can see how it works, but I'd never have guessed it myself.

It'd help if the naming scheme for Revenue and Taxes was the same

either

Gross Revenue
Corruption Losses
Net Revenue
Gross Tax
Support Costs
Net Tax

or

Revenue
Corruption Losses
Base Revenue
Tax
Support Costs
Base Tax

would be better. Honestly, something like
Colony GDP
Corruption Losses
Net Colony GDP
Tax Rate
Gross Tax
Support Costs
Player Revenue

Would be worlds clearer. The final number the player cares about should be a different color or highlighted or something to make it clear it's the one you care about.

I uh, spend too much time making UIs at work.

Beefeater1980 posted:

I’m enjoying it so far. I have maybe 8 hours in the original, which I could never really get into because I found the UI too cluttered.

- exploration of moon and asteroids around homeworld starts well, exploration of nearby planets in same system doesn’t because ships are too slow.
- eventually discover warp tech and my second round of explorers overtake the poor ship that’s now having to trudge its way back from halfway to the neighbouring gas giant
- other pirates show up and offer to join me for 3/4 of my treasury. When I accept they reveal they’re the descendants of a fleet that was supposed to defend us thousands of years ago
- I now have a fleet

It’s definitely a grog game, but I’m finding it a lot more approachable than its predecessor.
That sounds pretty rad.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

LLSix posted:

Would be worlds clearer. The final number the player cares about should be a different color or highlighted or something to make it clear it's the one you care about.

I agree, and I at least wish the present tax rate - while visible in the window anyway - was also included in parenthesis with the gross tax rev, like it is in corruption losses.

Oh nice, left arrow key re-selects the last thing you had selected. That makes it a little less annoying that click-dragging the map also deselects whatever you had selected.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 11, 2022

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Edit: oops, splicer already posted

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Beefeater1980 posted:

Lol :same:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Beefeater1980 posted:

- I now have a fleet

Exact same experience here, down to the pirates offering to join and giving me a fleet (and a station in a system that I couldn't reach yet). I guess I didn't read closely enough because I thought the massive payment was just protection money or the start of a long event chain, so it was a pleasant surprise that they immediately joined.

I saw previews complaining about pirates, and I have three pirate factions nearby including one in my home system, but like, they only want about 100 per month in protection money? And I'm already making thousands per month just from my single starting planet and mining stations in nearby systems so it doesn't seem like an issue... I haven't seen any pirate ships yet, just the (very powerful) stations, so I guess I just keep paying them off until I have a fleet big enough to take out the station?

nessin posted:

Also bring back private sector station building, so I can feel like I have some control over my economic prioritization while not being driven insane by the needs of just dropping a station everywhere. There is no middle ground of reasonable level of occasional attention, it's either just being forced to watch building stations like a hawk to keep your economy rolling, fully automating everything (including stations previously not built by the private sector in DW1), or just flat out gimping yourself to give yourself a break from checking every 60 seconds if you need to keep building stations until you've hit a distance limit based on your tech level.

Yeah this is the thing I'm least sure about currently. I am just clicking "yes" to every AI suggestion to build a mining station, but it doesn't feel like I'm really making any strategic decisions. Like why wouldn't I build a mining station? But I don't want to automate it completely because it feels like all the different resources are meant to be a major part of the game.

I think the thing I'm enjoying the most currently is investigating the research tree, because it's all still unknown.

I can also see myself getting into the ship / base designer and fleet automation stuff.

Random things I don't understand:

I sent an ambassador to an independent colony but he didn't seem to do anything? I assumed it would help relations tick up

Do private freighters only haul to space stations that are attached to planets? I have the aforementioned second station that I inherited from absorbing the pirates, but the freighters are ignoring it and going back to my home system instead. Oh, do I need to fiddle with the stockpile limits on the station maybe?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
These pirates are really pissing me off and I'm not sure how to properly defend my homeworld since my fleet can't seem to do much

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jarvisi posted:

These pirates are really pissing me off and I'm not sure how to properly defend my homeworld since my fleet can't seem to do much

Install Denuvo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Not sure if it comes under either 4x or strategy but I started playing Starsector and its very good.