Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

hawowanlawow posted:

is it uncool to call overalls overalls so you have to call them dungarees now?

That's probably a direct or auto translation from their native language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Silly Newbie posted:

That's probably a direct or auto translation from their native language.

impossible, everyone on the internet is an American native English speaker

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

All the same person, and we've posted at least 2 of them already...

AITA for asking my ex-husband to step in?

quote:

I have a son (13M). It was clear early on that my ex and I had different visions of his future. My son was exceptionally bright from a young age, and I wanted to take full advantage of that while my ex said that he would get burned out if I pushed him too hard and we should take a more laid back approach. I had him studying for hours every day, participating in extracurriculars, and generally doing whatever was good for his future. Meanwhile, my ex would have him do pretty much whatever he wanted on weekends. As such, I decided he didn't really need time for things like video games during the week since he was getting it during the weekends anyway. When my son was younger, he never seemed to complain about this. However, in the last school year, he has become a lot more rebellious, demanding screen time, later bedtimes, etc. I tried to double down when it was clear that he was going to keep demanding more and more. He threatened to fail all his classes if I didn't give in, and brought home a failed math test to wave in my face after I tried to call his bluff.

I saw no other options so I continued to concede thinking that might be the end of it, but he kept demanding more and more. His screen time went from none, to an hour a day, to the point where I could barely get him to agree to 1 hour of NON-screen time a day. His bedtime went from 9pm to midnight to the point where now I have to beg him to go to sleep at 3am. I've been getting calls from his teachers saying that he's been sleeping in class and missing homework. I keep begging him to change his ways but he says that he's just being a normal kid and threatens to fail his tests again whenever I try to enforce anything on him.

A few days ago second quarter report cards came in. And where he had previously had only As, he now had Bs and Cs all over his report card. I showed it to him and said he needed to change, but he said that Bs and Cs aren't even bad grades and that he was fine. I asked why he wanted to get Bs and Cs when he could get As, and he said, "Because you took my childhood from me. And I want it back."

I called my ex and begged him to step in. He asked with smugness what happened to doing my own thing and he sounded like he was trying not to laugh. I snapped and called him an rear end in a top hat for using our child's future to say "I told you so." He then said in a more serious tone that he wished he could help but I had to fix my own mess, and then hung up.

I then called my parents to get some support and explained the situation. I expected them to tell me I was right but they actually said they had always disagreed with my style of parenting but didn't want to comment since I always became "angry and defensive". They then said my ex was right, at which point I hung up and went to sleep. I expected my ex to act the way he did but my parents siding with some random stranger over their own flesh and blood really hurt me.

AITA for embarrassing my son in front of his classmates?

quote:

So recently my son has been refusing to follow his bedtime and going to sleep at absurdly late times such as 3am. I always argue with him about it but he simply refuses to listen to me and one of the arguments he used was "none of my friends have a bedtime". At first I told him to give me a signed letter from his friends saying that they didn't have a bedtime if this was really true. However, he said that no one would ask their friends to do such a thing at school so he refused.

Yesterday, I was picking him up from school and I saw 3 kids hanging out near the entrance that I recognized as kids in his class due to a school event earlier in the year. I walked up to them and introduced myself as my son's mom so they knew I wasn't some random stranger. I then asked if they had a bedtime and all 3 of them said yes. I then asked what it was and 2 of them said 10pm while 1 of them said 11pm. I then thanked them and walked away.

After my son got in the car, I told him what happened and was prepared for him to admit he was wrong. Instead, he was really angry at me and yelled at me for embarrassing him to his classmates, then refused to talk to me until we got home. I guess he also told my parents because they called me and complained about it and said that I needed to keep home issues at home.

AITA for telling my ex's girlfriend to gently caress off?

quote:

I have been having some issues with my son recently and in one case, I unintentionally made my son look bad in front of some of his classmates. He told my ex (his dad) and his grandparents and I guess word has spread around the family. I've received texts and calls from some of my cousins, my sister, and my parents about the situation and although I didn't agree with them I took their advice to heart and thanked them for taking time to share their opinion.

However, last night my ex's new girlfriend called me. I was instantly confused since we've spoken maybe one time ever and that was just awkward greetings while we were waiting in the same place. I was initially worried that something bad had happened to my ex. However, it turns out that she just heard about the situation and was calling to harass me about the way I acted. After hearing the same thing multiple times that day, and since it was coming from someone that had no business being involved, I just snapped and told her to gently caress off, then hung up. She tried calling me again but I just blocked her number.

My ex then texted me asking why I was an rear end in a top hat to his girlfriend. I told him that he should rein her in and get her to stop sticking her nose where it doesn't belong, but he said that he planned on keeping this relationship long-term and his girlfriend was going to be involved with our son and deserved a say. I just laughed since this is like the third relationship he said that about and made up an excuse to hang up.

I'm wondering if I was a bit harsh though and should've just told her off in a more calm way. AITA?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I still struggle to get my head around how so many people seem to have a "haha you touched it last so now it's your problem" attitude to children. Like all the stories of people who sneak a child into someone's house because then they'll have to babysit them.

Because that's how the law works practically. In theory, you can report shitheads like this to CPS for their ceremonial wrist slapping, but in practice, a cop will tell you "sounds like a civil matter, enjoy your new kid(s), you idiot." The only defense is not allowing yourself to be put in this situation in the first place by not allowing deadbeats to cohabitate with you to use you as free babysitting or when random strangers hurl kids at you unprompted, immediately going to the movies as many reasonable posters have in the past.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I feel bad that the shitbag lady got fired, I think the sister should have called CPS rather than that... but I mean it was also a totally reasonable thing to do, so I don't feel that bad.

Why? She's a shitbag, gently caress her. She was given a place to live without paying a cent for 4 months and all the hand that fed her asked in return was not to be bitten. People like this just can't abide that though. OP's mother very conveniently doesn't feel like taking her in. I can't imagine why.

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for thinking my boyfriend should have gotten me a better gift?

:laffo:

Sidepiece thinks she's the girlfriend/does this man know he's your boyfriend combo.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I'm not sure how a real man would fix slashed tires that doesn't involve help. You can't patch a slashed tired. What do you do, sew it back together?

Pfft, no! Sewing is for :females:

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for telling my boss that my coworkers were not following our companies’ long standing tradition of fellowship/team-building while he was away on vacation?

Lost journal of Narc Anthony. Even if it wasn't a religious thing (which it is) lol at the idea of a daily meeting, much less one in the middle of the afternoon lasting for an unknowable length of time and capitalism brainworms OP caping for his boss who is literally on vacation indefinitely and not doing any work.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

quote:

A few days ago second quarter report cards came in. And where he had previously had only As, he now had Bs and Cs all over his report card. I showed it to him and said he needed to change, but he said that Bs and Cs aren't even bad grades and that he was fine. I asked why he wanted to get Bs and Cs when he could get As, and he said, "Because you took my childhood from me. And I want it back."

Lmao this kid rules go find your bliss pal

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Lmao this kid rules go find your bliss pal

Plus unlike many characters in similar situations, he has at least 2 good places to live available the second he can legally sever from OP and leave her to whine on estranged parent forums for the rest of her life about how she couldn't possibly have seen it coming; if only literally everyone in her life had warned her about what a psycho bitch she was being and how it was ruining her relationship with her son.

WIBTA if I called out a girl faking tics/Tourettes

quote:

In my(17f) college there’s a girl(18f) who is basically a bit of an attention whore, she’s constantly crying about one thing or anything, making irrelevant jokes about her lovely home life, talking about starving herself, showing off cuts on her arms and just generally doing whatever she can to get attention.

Recently, I’ve been hanging out with a group of friends outside college and she is apart of said group so I spend more time with her than I did last year. I’ve noticed that she “tics” a lot outside of college but not in class or assemblies or even in the building. She’ll do stuff like tapping people’s heads, vocal tics, picking up random objects off the street and even drinking drinks that’ve been left outside.

She wears a green lanyard which is kinda like the sunflower lanyards to signify a hidden disability but she’s never really talked about why she wears it (which is fine, most people don’t talk about their diagnosis’s casually). I just think it’s super weird that she only tics outside of school and I know that many people with tics/Tourette’s can suppress but even in a 3hr lesson she doesn’t tic at all.

Also if she does things that are dangerous and someone tells her not to/shouts no in a stern voice she’ll stop with no effort or hesitation. Like today there was sand for construction or smth and she picked it up and shouted catch like she was going to throw it, someone else in the group said don’t throw the sand and she just dropped it.

Based on all her other attention seeking behaviours it just seems like she’s faking it but I feel like it’d be a dick move to call her out on it on the off chance she’s not faking. She’s just annoying everyone in our group with it but we all also feel sorry for her because of how much she cries for attention and poo poo.

So would I be the rear end in a top hat if I called her out on it even if I did it in a polite way?

Edit as per someone’s suggestion: I’m in anorexia recovery, she knows this, she still brags about starving herself around me. Most of our group (including myself) have a history of self harm, she has triggered people to the point of relapsing with her fresh cuts. Today she ticked with glass in her hand (which her tics had previously picked up) and stabbed somebody in the hand with it, it was bad enough that we were sure an ambulance would need to be called.

We have tried to help her, we have encouraged her to speak to an in school counsellor and an out of school counsellor. Whenever she is crying we all try to console her. We have expressed our concerns and told her that some of her behaviours are triggering.

I suppose the real issue is all the other behaviours, not the tics. I’m just particularly frustrated with the tic that sliced someone’s hand open because they tried to keep her safe by removing the glass from her hands.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Hughlander posted:

quote:

if I'm being honest, I'm not a big fan of the tradition of birthdays. Like, you were born, congratulations! but now you want to use it as an excuse to get presents? What? It's just kind of weird to me...but as far as I know, birthday parties are usually on the weekends anyway so it would be my ex's responsibility to manage that kind of thing.

quote:

who has birthday parties on a weekday?

quote:

people who are willing to go no contact with their parents are just pathetic, immature idiots who are willing to cut out the parents that provided them with shelter, food, and the gift of life just because they don't necessarily agree with them on certain matters. I have moments where I'm pissed off at my parents but I'd never even entertain such a notion. And if my son somehow becomes one of those narcissists, then good riddance. I don't need that type of person in my life anyway.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Well, as long as she's onboard with being estranged, I guess it'll all work out in 5 years. I guarantee she'll still act surprised though.

AITA for telling my husband I am going to have a tougher job than him as a SAHM?

quote:

Hello everyone so for context, Im 14 weeks pregnant and my husband has a 9-5 desk job with a 1.5 hour lunch break and a 10 minute break every hour. I am going to leave my job to become a stay at home mom and do part time college at the same time.

So the conversation started when I was mentioning that he is going to need to help me with the baby during the night. He said no, thats what I have a wife for, I have the day time part of it. So immediately I got mad and went off telling him how my job is going to be 24/7, that I wont get an 1.5 hour lunch break or a 10 minute break every hour, and that while he is at work listening to relaxing minecraft music as he types away on his computer, Im listening to the gut wrenching screaming of a baby.

So basically, I tell him Im going to be having the tougher of the two jobs. He disagrees and says as soon as he gets home he will be working with the baby and what not, and I appreciate that but leaving me on the night shift sololy so he can get sleep while Im getting none, I already know will drive me to the brink of insanity.

I get that he has a big responsibility to provide money and food for both me and the baby, but I think Im definitely going to be earning my keep. But now I kind of feel like an asshat because he is upset that I told him Im going to be working harder than him.

So r/AmItheAsshole, AITA?

EDIT: Thank you everyone, for your comments. I think a lot of helpful advice was given here and I now realize this really shouldnt be a competition and rather a team effort. I will take the advice to sleep during the day when the baby sleeps, and possibly do a night shift where I will take care of the baby on the days he works, and he will help when he has the next day off. Thank you all, truly.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 11, 2022

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Hughlander posted:

So she was enough of a strict hardass to force this kid to spent every waking hour doing school work but the second she gets any kind of push back at all, she folds on every demand and lets her 13 year old son run the show. Just the worst of both worlds in terms of parenting.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Invisible Clergy posted:

Well, as long as she's onboard with being estranged, I guess it'll all work out in 5 years. I guarantee she'll still act surprised though.

AITA for telling my husband I am going to have a tougher job than him as a SAHM?

Just wait until you have something to really cry about, Pnurtis, "wahh I can't sleep at night" neither can I and also I have to pay loving rent god babies are lame

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CaptainViolence posted:

They open the doors into the venue, but the building was just a facade. They stand in an open field littered with cranes. Their gaze follows the cranes up into the sky where pianos and bank vaults are suspended dozens of feet in the air, as far as the eye can see. The last thing that goes through their mind is ACME 1 TON, printed on the side of a large trapezoidal weight

The last thing that goes through their mind is the ground.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Sisal Two-Step posted:

So she was enough of a strict hardass to force this kid to spent every waking hour doing school work but the second she gets any kind of push back at all, she folds on every demand and lets her 13 year old son run the show. Just the worst of both worlds in terms of parenting.

She has no idea how to deal with him as a person. When he was a young child he was just this thing who obeyed her because he never thought not to, and as soon as she had to actually deal with him in a way that required understanding that he’s a human being she had no clue what to do.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for wanting money for babysitting my nephew even tho he slept the whole time?

quote:

I (14f) have a sister (21f), she has a husband (22m) and a baby (1m). 'Andrew' is an overall good baby, he has his days and of course hits but I love being around him! I just don't like babysitting.

It's something that makes me nervous, and my family is big on either making money promises and won't keep them or give an excuse and tell me it's selfish to want money when I get to spend time with them. I don't even like them half of the time.

Long story short I was promised 20 instead of the 10 I offered, watched him for like an hour and half, Andrew slept threw a of it. Making it easier on Me because there's a cold going around school, and the cramps.

My sister got home, she said the money was on her card. then my mom a few hours later and when I asked for my money again my mom said "You got our of school early, that's payment enough", my sister said "And all he did is sleep, didn't even need you".

I responded with "If that's the case you could've left Andrew by himself and let me stay in school for the rest of the day".

Apparently I'm selfish but I just want what I was promised, an amount we all agreed on. My sister wants me to babysit over the summer too, and I'm not doing it if I'm not getting paid. I'm not babysitting at all until I get my twenty dollars, no ten, the twenty I was promised. But I don't think I'll get that because I don't exactly have a family who pays up

AITA for wanting money I was promised?

What was the emergency that the 14 year old was pulled out of school so she could babysit?

quote:

My Sister wanted to get her nails done

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Yes. People who run prisons professionally let inmates have some kind of privileges like a little tv time or being able to read books or go outside not because of the goodness of their hearts, but so that when the inmate misbehaves, you have something you can threaten to take away. OP can't even do that right. When you tiger mom your child so hard that they have no actual good things present in their lives you can threaten, they will eventually realize "hey, I have nothing to lose; I might as well at least try for something better." Sometimes, like OP's son, it works. Good for him.

A really good example of why authoritarian parenting cannot work in the long term. Like all the posts about parents who never let their kids be in the same room as a particle of refined white sugar and then their kids go bonkers in Yonkers eating junk food their first year of college to make up for their lives of enforced asceticism, or the way a lot of kids will overindulge in alcohol consumption as soon as they can get away from parents like these for five minutes during the class trip to Washington D.C. or sleepaway camp.

If a parent doesn't talk with a child about what the actual reason for moderation when it comes to candy, alcohol, video games, whatever is then it'll be viewed understandable as just another arbitrary bullshit rule they've enacted to exert dominance over the child, like not letting them talk to boys or wear shoes with lights in them or watch "the simpsons" or whatever.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

She has no idea how to deal with him as a person. When he was a young child he was just this thing who obeyed her because he never thought not to, and as soon as she had to actually deal with him in a way that required understanding that he’s a human being she had no clue what to do.

This is also definitely part of it. Also like, once he called her bluff, what was she going to do about it? He already had 0 free time for her to ruin, so there was no way for her to make his life worse. Even the inmates in supermax get 1 hour a day out of the cell.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hughlander posted:

AITA for wanting money for babysitting my nephew even tho he slept the whole time?

What was the emergency that the 14 year old was pulled out of school so she could babysit?

"Money?! You should be paying for the privilege to hang out with your nephew!"

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Captain Hygiene posted:

"Money?! You should be paying for the privilege to hang out with your nephew!"

"Hey OP, here's the chemistry homework from Tuesday."
"Thanks, Mrs. Smith. I had to stay home and raise my nephew."
"Oh, that's too bad. Did your sister have an emergency?"
"Yeah. A manicure emergency."

AITA for telling my brother not to be so involved in his GF’s cycle?

quote:

This is a throwaway.

I (f, 29) have a younger brother (M, 27). He’s a lovely guy. He’s also on the spectrum and has the tendency to become obsessed about things & isn’t always aware of what’s socially appropriate. For the past six years he has been dating a wonderful girl (26), whom I’ll call Michelle. Michelle is gorgeous, she is incredibly kind towards my brother as well as quite protective of him (actually overly so).

I was recently hanging out with her at their place when I got my period. I asked if I could borrow a tampon and she directed me to her bathroom. In the cabinet, there were dozens of tampon boxes. I asked her why there so many and Michelle told me my brother bought them for her. It turns out a few years ago, she got her period and was out of supplies. The stores were closed, and since he doesn’t drive, and she wasn’t feeling good & wasn’t in a position to drive, she had to make do with some toilet paper. Not a big deal, but he felt guilty. So every time he goes shopping, he buys her a tampon box.

I understand that my brother means well, however I think it’s obsessive and completely wasteful. Not to mention if I was Michelle I would be a little annoyed. I spoke to her about it, and she admitted that it was unnecessary but she thought it was sweet. I guess I could accept that however during our conversation, Michelle mentioned that early on in their relationship, my brother asked her all kinds of questions about her period. She thinks it’s sweet, however I think all of it is creepy.

I mentioned that Michelle should tell my brother to stop doing it, however she refused. I thought that was absurd, so when I went home I called my brother and left a message on his phone telling him that it wasn’t healthy that he was so involved with his GF’s menstrual cycle.

A couple of hours later I got an angry call from Michelle telling me to stay out of their relationship. I asked to speak to my brother, however she refused (another example of her being overly protective).

AITA?

Just to clarify, I think it’s great that my brother isn’t embarrassed about buying tampons and cares about his GF’s cycle, however I think he takes it to absurd levels.
Donate them to a homeless shelter.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Invisible Clergy posted:

OP's REALLY annoyed that she can't hold "you're weird" over her brother anymore, and it shows. Michelle knows why she's protective. :allears:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I went to the same grilled meat guy in Istanbul every week for years. I'd sit there and watch him prepare his marinades and spice mixes and see how he cooked the meat and how he made the bread from scratch. Now, when I cook that stuff at home I basically make it just like ol Ahmet Usta did. If someone compliments the food, I tell them where I learned how.
Would you mind posting what you do in one of the cooking threads? Have you done so already? Because, drat, I love what the Turks do with grilled meat.

AITA For telling my GF's friend that "testing" a guy's loyalty is an easy way to end a relationship

quote:

My GF (23F) and I (21M) have been together for only about 6-months. I haven't dated much before this and this is definitely my most serious relationship, so I'm still pretty new to the whole thing. Thankfully, my GF has been very patient and understanding and she's a great communicator which helps a lot.

We were hanging out at her place a couple nights ago and a few of her friends came over for some drinks. One of her friends, Amy, was venting about her relationship with this guy and how she wants it to be more serious but she doesn't know if she trusts him. She was talking about how they've discussed becoming exclusive, but that she suspects he is still talking with other women.

The other girls, my GF included, asked to see his social media and they joked about "testing" him by having someone send him a DM expressing interest in him to see what he says. They were literally giggling while they were crafting the message to send to him to see if he's loyal.

I had been quiet up to that point but I finally spoke up and asked them if they were serious. They told me that Amy deserves to know if he's going to be trustworthy and I told them that this was the absolute dumbest way to go about that and also incredibly toxic and manipulative.

Amy looked at my GF and said "Wow, he really is new to the dating game, isn't he?" My GF laughed and said "Yeah, but he's a fast learner" and gave me a little pat on the head. I moved her hand away and asked if she seriously agrees with this type of thing. She told me that Amy has been hurt before so she just needs to make sure this guy is worth her time.

I told them this was immature and dumb and got up to leave. Amy made a comment about how I don't know what it's like to get hurt in the dating world and I said that if this is how she behaves in relationships, then maybe it's more her fault than anyone else. She told me to "f&*^ off" so I left.

Later that night my GF texted me telling me how she can't believe I would disrespect her friends like that and that it's not my business what her friends do in their relationships. I told her that I can't believe she would actually support her friend doing something so toxic and manipulative and that I thought she was better than that.

She ended up cancelling some plans we had for this weekend and has been posting some cryptic stuff on her Twitter about "standing up for your girls." So, I'm pretty sure this could be the end of things. But did I really overstep boundaries by what I did?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I managed to make the world go in slow motion and there's a bullet slowly flying at me, should I dodge it Reddit?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Neito posted:

My assumption is they only did one and were watching to make sure he jacked up the car and set a spare himself, rather than calling roadside assistance.

If someone slashes my tires I'm going to GTFO on foot and then taxi. Someone has taken deliberate and malicious action to immobilise me. I'm not waiting around for them to come back.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA For telling my GF's friend that "testing" a guy's loyalty is an easy way to end a relationship

Bulled dodged, OP!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Danaru posted:

I managed to make the world go in slow motion and there's a bullet slowly flying at me, should I dodge it Reddit?

"What are you trying to tell me? That I can dodge bad relationships?"
"No, throwaway_questionasker73, I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to." *updoots & sends gold*

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
AITA for asking for permission from my mother to kick my brother out?

family conflict posted:

My boyfriend (22m) and I (20f) live with my mum (37f), brother (16m) and sister (14f). My boyfriend is American, I am British, and we met in a pub where he was an international student in the UK when I was 17 and he 19.

Our relationship has generally been brilliant, however, to put it lightly, boyfriend and my brother despise eachother. They mostly avoid eachother, however when they do interact it is almost entirely rife with insults or has a contemptuous feeling in the air. There was one time when my brother put my boyfriend in hospital and had to spend the night in a cell.

The incident which I'm writing this for occurred today. Brother was in the kitchen making himself breakfast, and my boyfriend asked him if he could make him a bacon and egg cob. My brother refused, stating that he was only going to make cereal and that if my brother wanted bacon and eggs then he could make them himself.

My boyfriend sighed loudly, and muttered "lazy rtard" under his breath directed at my brother. My brother heard it and turned around, and I could tell that there would be an argument right away. My brother approached my boyfriend and started intimidating him, saying "what the fck did you just say? Would you like to say it to my face." My brother is a big bloke and I could tell my boyfriend was scared, so I quickly tried to calm my brother down and directed him to his room to cool off.

I texted my mum, who was at work, and detailed the incident to her. I asked her if she could give me permission to kick my brother out, citing that he's clearly too dangerous to be around and is intimidating my boyfriend. My mum told me to not make such stupid demands and basically victim blamed my boyfriend by saying "he's a man, he can deal with a child insulting him." I don't think my request was irrational at all, my brother clearly did intimidate my boyfriend, however she thinks otherwise. AITA?

Choice comment from OP

OP posted:

I admit, both my brother and boyfriend were at fault in the hospital situation. They were insulting each other because my brother refused to order my boyfriend a portion of fish and chips (despite ordering some for himself), and my boyfriend eventually couldn't contain his anger and pushed my brother into a wall. Brother retaliated and punched him numerous times, thus we had to call the police and my boyfriend was treated for a broken nose.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

AITA for asking for permission from my mother to kick my brother out?

Choice comment from OP

I think I know who's getting kicked ouuuuuuttttt....

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Can you even kick out a 16 year old legally? I know it's happened but I just assumed no one ever told the authorities about it so no one ever got in trouble for those instances. Unless it's different in the UK.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Invisible Clergy posted:

Both brother and his GF are OK with it, so sister needs to mind her own business.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for "imposing my culture" even though I thought I was just being nice?

There's an update:

UPDATE: AITA for "imposing my culture" even though I thought I was just being nice?

quote:

First of all I just want to thank everyone for the overwhelming support and replies on my first post. I'm looking forward to going over to everyone's houses for dinner and I'll be sure to bring all the things you said you liked :-) many flower lovers out there! I'm now also apparently the DIL to a lot of hopeful parents that replied as well so I hope I can deliver on expectations!

---

After my last update I told my bf I was sick and tired of him dancing around the issue with his parents and I was going to go over to their house whether he liked it or not. At this point I think he realized that whatever he was doing had backfired so he sat down all angry and told me he'd explain. I sat and he told me that he'd done something very spur of the moment and that he'd texted me from his dad's phone then blocked the number but begged me to listen. That he just needed to get his parents off me for a while and to not leave.

Apparently his parents had started hinting at him about marriage since my bf and I talked a lot about it. I fully expected to marry him as I said in another comment, and was honestly expecting a proposal in late spring since that's when we met. Four years dating didn't bother me but I was getting excited to settle down. However, my bf apparently realized that he absolutely didn't want to commit to anything and wanted to experiment and have fun since I "wasn't being fun anymore". Honestly that just made me cry since we were each other's firsts for everything and usually very good at communicating our needs.

His grand plan was to get him mad at me so I would beg for forgiveness and then he'd only accept an open relationship as an answer. Absolutely brilliant plan I know. He'd made up his parents getting mad but didn't expect me to blow off dinner completely and it's like "hitting a jackpot", his words not mine. He went over for dinner, hid the flowers and said we'd gotten into a huge fight but he was "going to fix it" but I needed space. After he confessed all this he said he was very sorry but really didn't want to miss out on new experiences when he was still young and would I consider an open relationship but pretend ours was strained with his parents so they wouldn't get suspicious?

And.....I laughed. I laughed his rear end right out the door and told him absolutely not and to leave me alone while I packed because I wanted to have some new experiences too!!! He never stopped begging me to stay but I left to sleep at a friend's. After calming down for a few days I cemented the breakup and finally, actually went over to his parent's. My ex-bf's dad never even noticed the phone missing but still apologized and his mom was a mess. I did and still love them and will eat dinner there without him as often as I can. I won't lie that I'm sad about four years down the drain, but that's life. And if that was my ex's best possible plan then I dodged the bullet by a mile.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's an update:

UPDATE: AITA for "imposing my culture" even though I thought I was just being nice?

Not going to lie was literally refreshing the original daily to see an update... Very satisfying, I'm glad she got out while still young.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITB Lost to a girl in BJJ and feeling emasculated/embarrassed

quote:

So I’ve been doing BJJ for 8 months now and have been enjoying it quite a bit. One day there was an open roll and a BJJ instructor recommended we do some matches. I(26m 140lbs) was put against a woman(22f 150lbs approximately). I was a bit intimidated as I had only been rolling for a few months while she was a blue belt who had been doing BJJ for a few years. We end up being the first ones to go up and it was a nightmare. She was able to get on top into side control and before you know it I was mounted. I’ve been submitted by girls before in classes and it was never a big deal but the fact that this was in front of so many people and the way I was submitted was the emasculating part.

She put her hips down and was smothering me with the top of her body(you know what I mean). I tried turning my hips and using my legs but she kept wrapping her feet around mine. It felt like she wasn’t even interested in advancing her position and just wanted to hold me there. I couldn’t believe how heavy she felt and I was getting worn out. After a good two minutes she started to advance and one of my arms had slipped under her leg and she got me in a mounted triangle which I didn’t even know was a thing. Again not advancing her position but just looking me in the eye as I struggled to get out. After about 30 seconds of this I was completely worn out and she rolled us over where she was on her back with the triangle and rolled again where she was back on top.

I felt like a helpless dummy. She then pulled on my head and I couldn’t take the pressure and I tapped with 15 seconds left. There was a huge applause by everyone. I know that I sound like a fragile male who got his ego hurt but she could’ve easily just submitted me right away as she was way more skilled. It felt like she just wanted to play and dominate me in front of everyone. When she got her hand raised and shook my hand she had a big smile on her face. Is it wrong for me to feel embarrassed?

Added para breaks

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

quote:

I know that I sound like a fragile male who got his ego hurt

True

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Evil Willow posted:

Added para breaks

https://youtu.be/OPHqXSbk3dY

A 5'6", 140lb woman just lifted the Dinnie stones (733 lbs and essentially the Everest of strongman) so maybe we just stop with this gendered bullshit.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Evil Willow posted:

Added para breaks

That must have taken quite a while to write with one hand

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's an update:

there's something special when a relationship partner turns out to be so incredibly lovely that even their own parents are like "no, you can leave, we want to spend time with your ex"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hughlander posted:

Not going to lie was literally refreshing the original daily to see an update... Very satisfying, I'm glad she got out while still young.

:same:

pentyne posted:

there's something special when a relationship partner turns out to be so incredibly lovely that even their own parents are like "no, you can leave, we want to spend time with your ex"

:bisonyes:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

B-Rock452 posted:

A 5'6", 140lb woman just lifted the Dinnie stones (733 lbs and essentially the Everest of strongman) so maybe we just stop with this gendered bullshit.

Jesus how much does the rest of Dinnie weigh?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
The British Gambit

quote:

I met a girl in a bar and told her a big tale about how I was "hitch-hiking around Scotland tomorrow" in an attempt to seem like I had some kind of personality and dynamism. It worked and we spent the night together and during that drunken wild night she decided to accompany me the next day as I went hitch-hiking, for a week, around Scotland. So I did what any horny 19 year old would do, I agreed we should totally do it. Two strangers drunkenly sharing a one-man tent, sleeping in lay-bys and on traffic roundabouts. Of course it was a loving total disaster. Too many ridiculous stories to tell. But 4 days later she'd had enough and rowed off across a loch with a handsome ex-forces guy to "visit an island". A euphemism.

I went to a bar and when I woke up her stuff was gone from the tent . I didn't see her again until 15 years later ...

I bought a house. The neighbour opposite with 3 kids, lawyer husband, badly parked Jaguar blocking the road ... it's her.

That first day - In one second we locked eyes and knew we had to handle this like adults. So, for the next 10 years we avoided ever speaking or acknowledging each others existence. Luckily 3 years ago we resolved awkwardness as she took the gracious option of moving house. Awkwardness resolved.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for refusing to share a room with my husband over mango juice?

quote:

I’m pregnant and I have horrible ‘morning’ sickness so I’ve barely been able to eat or drink anything for the last month plus. Something I can keep down is this specific brand of mango juice, which admittedly isn’t the healthiest thing.

We’re currently staying with my in-laws for an extended period of time. Before we arrived, my mother-in-law asked me if there was anything I was craving or needed while here, I mentioned the mango juice and she went out of her way to get it for me.

My husband has been very vocal about him not wanting me to drink so much of the juice, especially not the brand I was drinking. On the third day he decided to get rid of it and instead asked my in-laws’ chef to make me fresh mango juice. While I never threw up with the fresh juice I was feeling nauseous and I didn’t want to keep drinking it.

My mother-in-law offered to get more of the juice I could drink but my husband wouldn’t let her because he felt I needed time to get used to the fresh juice. We had a very bad fight and in the end I refused to share a room with him.

We have to go to a wedding soon and things are really tense so I'm wondering if I should be the one apologising here or not. So am I TA?

wait you're how rich

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Danaru posted:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

B-Rock452 posted:

Some heavy stones indeed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6DobFoAZ58

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mx. posted:

AITA for refusing to share a room with my husband over mango juice?

wait you're how rich

Just secretly ask the chef to "make" her a cup of the processed drink, God, do they not teach Filthy Rich Home Economics in finishing schools anymore?